I, for one, am betting that anything so toxic that getting small quantities on your skin would poison you would come with a government health warning attached, rather than dubious word of mouth.
An acquaintance of mine once drank a quantity of ink (he didn't know it was ink, the friend who provided it didn't expect him to drink it), rather more than I expect any normal person would use to write on their hand in a lifetime.
He didn't noticeably die.
Devil 'He didn't look happy about it though' Bunny
-------------------- "For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"
I've got a BAD habit of chewing on the end of pens... and have had a number of them open up and leave me with a blue tounge and a nsty taste. No ill efects other than killing the part of my brain that should have reminded me not to do it again.
And remember - pencil lead is carbon, it won't hurt you either .. I sill have a piece in my arm from 3rd grade (25+ yrs ago) and no ill efffffffects yet that I have nottttttticed... j/k
War 'pens don't kill people, people with pens kill people' lok
Way back when I was in Catholic primary school one of my "little friends" decided it would be cute to tell me that the magic marker that I accidentally got on me would cause me to "get cancer and die." And I couldn't tell anyone because I would "get benched" by the nuns for being careless enough to do something that would cause my death.
She told me I would die within half an hour.
Course this was while we were on our way into Mass. I kept squirming around to look at the clock behind us to see how much longer I had to live.
I got benched for not paying attention.
Kids are so cruel.
(She also told me that getting benched would go on my permanent record so I would never be allowed to clap erasers for the rest of my life.)
quote:Originally posted by DevilBunny: An acquaintance of mine once drank a quantity of ink (he didn't know it was ink, the friend who provided it didn't expect him to drink it), rather more than I expect any normal person would use to write on their hand in a lifetime.
He didn't noticeably die.
He was lucky. Whether or not ink is poisonous depends on what it's made of, and many inks are made with poisonous ingredients. Medline says it can be fatal.
But even if ink could safely be ingested, that doesn't mean it isn't poisonous in the bloodstream.
Beach Life, I've heard the same story about writing on your hand in biro (ball-point pen). The idea is that its ink can enter your bloodstream through a cut on your hand and either poison you or act like a blood clot and cause thrombosis (I forget which). It sounds unlikely, but I'll see if I can find anything to back it up.