snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Ink poisoning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ink poisoning
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 37 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a chronic 'write on my hand' type kind of person. I have heard from several people that the ink will seep through my skin and get into my blood stream, effectively poisoning me.

Truth? UL? Somewhere in between?

Beach...I never lose notes written on my hand, unless of course I wash too vigourously...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 24 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UL, without a doubt.

I, for one, am betting that anything so toxic that getting small quantities on your skin would poison you would come with a government health warning attached, rather than dubious word of mouth.

An acquaintance of mine once drank a quantity of ink (he didn't know it was ink, the friend who provided it didn't expect him to drink it), rather more than I expect any normal person would use to write on their hand in a lifetime.

He didn't noticeably die.

Devil 'He didn't look happy about it though' Bunny

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a BAD habit of chewing on the end of pens... and have had a number of them open up and leave me with a blue tounge and a nsty taste. No ill efects other than killing the part of my brain that should have reminded me not to do it again.

And remember - pencil lead is carbon, it won't hurt you either .. I sill have a piece in my arm from 3rd grade (25+ yrs ago) and no ill efffffffects yet that I have nottttttticed... j/k

War 'pens don't kill people, people with pens kill people' lok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lily
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back when I was in Catholic primary school one of my "little friends" decided it would be cute to tell me that the magic marker that I accidentally got on me would cause me to "get cancer and die." And I couldn't tell anyone because I would "get benched" by the nuns for being careless enough to do something that would cause my death.

She told me I would die within half an hour.

Course this was while we were on our way into Mass. I kept squirming around to look at the clock behind us to see how much longer I had to live.

I got benched for not paying attention.

Kids are so cruel.

(She also told me that getting benched would go on my permanent record so I would never be allowed to clap erasers for the rest of my life.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DevilBunny:
An acquaintance of mine once drank a quantity of ink (he didn't know it was ink, the friend who provided it didn't expect him to drink it), rather more than I expect any normal person would use to write on their hand in a lifetime.

He didn't noticeably die.

He was lucky. Whether or not ink is poisonous depends on what it's made of, and many inks are made with poisonous ingredients. Medline says it can be fatal.

But even if ink could safely be ingested, that doesn't mean it isn't poisonous in the bloodstream.

Beach Life, I've heard the same story about writing on your hand in biro (ball-point pen). The idea is that its ink can enter your bloodstream through a cut on your hand and either poison you or act like a blood clot and cause thrombosis (I forget which). It sounds unlikely, but I'll see if I can find anything to back it up.

Kate "my write hand" S

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages