snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Edward Mordrake-The two-faced guy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Edward Mordrake-The two-faced guy
Shostakovich
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read about this guys case in the Book of Lists, but I don't know how reliable the book is. THis guy supposedly had a second face on the back of his head from an unformed twin. It had what looked like eyes that would occassionaly move and a type of mouth that could smile on its own accord. Has anyone heard of such cases? I know of people with who have extra appendages like arms and legs from unformed twins or genetic defects. My cousin had 7 fingers on one hand and 6 toes on one of his feet. We called him demon child and he was kept chained up in my Aunt's basement.

Dmitri "Normal ten-toed, ten-fingered, one- faced homo sapien"Shostakovich

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
George Kingfish Stevens
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Kingfish Stevens     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard of this chap, but there was a Chinese guy back in the late 70s who had this condition. I saw the footage of him, before and after his surgery. There was a partially formed mouth that apparently moved sympathetically when he moved his "real" mouth. Also, IIRC, internally, there was a cherry-sized "brain mass" near the second face.

Be very careful about the "Book of Lists" series, though. They also list "credible" cases of spontaneous combustion, UFO sightings, and stigmata (very interesting, considering who compiled these lists).

Posts: 399 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my first hit was a page of somebody who saw the Book of Lists entry and researched Mordrake. I won't duplicate his or her work. go to http://www.inu.org/scherzi/199911/entry4.htm and scroll down about a quarter of the way.
Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amber Waves

I've never heard of this guy before either but I remember hearing about another man who had a "twin" on the back of his head. He claimed that it said awful things to him when they were alone. Eventually it drove him insane and he killed himself.

Amber "maybe it was the acid talking" Waves

rosa rosa rosa

Amber Waves, you're remembering Robert Bloch's The Mannikin, written in 1937 and published in several collections, including in 1962 Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (which is a book worth reading, should you be able to find a copy of it).

rosa (I'm a cow, ooo ooo ooo) debonneheure

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mjollnir:
I have never heard of this chap, but there was a Chinese guy back in the late 70s who had this condition. I saw the footage of him, before and after his surgery. There was a partially formed mouth that apparently moved sympathetically when he moved his "real" mouth. Also, IIRC, internally, there was a cherry-sized "brain mass" near the second face.

Be very careful about the "Book of Lists" series, though. They also list "credible" cases of spontaneous combustion, UFO sightings, and stigmata (very interesting, considering who compiled these lists).

Yes, I remember this Chinese man, I think I saw it on the old show "That's Incredible." He had a small face on the side of his head from an unborn twin. There was a pair of eyes, a mouth, and a brain. The weird thing was, whenever the guy moved his mouth, the other mouth moved also. But thanks to surgery he was able to have it removed.

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing a similar story about a hair dresser. She was in a car accident and then had this really awful stomach ache. She went to the doctor and they found this hairball inside her that had hands and since she already had a (born!) twin, they said it was her triplet. The funny part about it is that I heard about it during a church youth group when we were discussing stuff in one of those "Book of Questions" things. (No, it wasn't in the book; somebody just mentioned it) And then...I heard about it when I was getting my hair cut once. They made it sound like it happened in Denver, but I still have my doubts. I mean, people localize these stories all the time...

I think there was also mention of this two-faced guy on some TV show 'cause I remember all these kids at school talking about it, and didn't hear any "My friend saw this..." stories. (In other words, they'd seen it themselves) Does that mean much? No. But there you go.

Erm...and I used to have nightmares (when I was in preschool!) about thse dancers who called themselves "The Girls in Front and Back" because they had heads coming out of their backs. In these dreams, I'd tell my parents I wanted to see "The Girls," they'd take me, I'd get scared and run. Wait...why did I just admit that?

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Flibble

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Ripley find a guy who had a twin growing out of his body?
fenchurch

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn! I don't have a cite for this at all, well, nothing specific but....

There was one individual who had a second "head" growing out of his forehead, who toured with a Ripley's Believe It or Not sideshow...or some kind of sideshow. Not sure. But Ripley was involved somehow...anyway, sideshow visitors swore up and down that they saw the small head move it's mouth, blink, etc etc etc, however....

This book I read (I believe it was a retrospective of the life/works of Ripley, how many books of that type can there be) stated that the sideshow freak in question was actually just a Mexican peasant farm worker with a rather large tumor growing out of his forehead. Sideshow workers (or Ripley's crew perhaps) fitted the tumor with a small mask and covered the rest with fake hair, and voila! a second head.

After some searching of my personal library (I sadly do not own the book I got my above story from) I find the story told in The Big Book of Freaks (a comic book from the same company that brougth us the Big Book of Urban Legends). It's in the story "The Art of Gaffing Freaks," in the chapter "Grifts" on pg 189. And, Grr, it does not give a citation for this story.

*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 15 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fenchurch:
Sideshow workers (or Ripley's crew perhaps) fitted the tumor with a small mask and covered the rest with fake hair, and voila! a second head.

rotfl! Well...that's one way to ddo it.

And Amber Waves, in descriptions of that Mordake guy, it says he complained that it was demonic and he comitted suicide because he couldn't stand it. The few refrences to him online are virtually identical and contain some quotes, but there's never a genuine source. However, I'm curious if they might've come from the story Rosa mentioned. Perhaps she could click on the link Kathy B. posted and glance at the paragraph that links to. I can't help but find this fishy...

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
George Kingfish Stevens
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for George Kingfish Stevens     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a picture of the parasitic twin that was "growing out" the person's body in the book "Very Special People." That book is out of print, but you can find it in libraries.

As I recall, the guy called his "twin" "Jacques."

Posts: 399 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peter S

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can find some pictures of parasitic twins HERE.
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm... That reminds me of a (fiction) story I read once. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember there was a guy whose twin was (growing, I think?) inside his stomach or something. Oh well, I'll see if I can find it...

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was another weird medical case that was featured on 'That's Incredible.' This guy kept on having these splitting headaches that was affecting his everyday life. When doctors examined him they found the unborn and developing fetus of his brother in his head! They surgically removed it.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Falomus the Conqueror

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of the beginning of Stephen King's "The Dark Half". This kid keeps having head aches so they do some exploratory surgery, and they find an eye or two pulsating. They find bits of a mouth and a nose too.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages