snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » The Sudafed Defense

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sudafed Defense
robertbell
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The FDA is finally banning PPA, the active ingredient in many over-the-counter cold remedies, including Sudafed.

I started taking Sudafed when I moved to Washignton to clear up allergy induced congestion. If you don't take something here, you'll end up with a nasty ear or nasal infection. There is something to be said about the cold north - I never had allergies in Syracuse.

Sudafed did the job, but it does make you a bit CRAZY! It seems to raise your blood pressure, while at the same time making you really calm and mildly buzzed.

You are really relaxed and calm and everything is fine until some asshole annoys you and then you JUST LOSE IT! The high blood pressure ovecomes the calming/drowsey effects with a vengence and you kind of go wacky.

I stopped taking Sudafed and use Allegra (occasionally) and Echniecia/Goldenseal. Both have similar effects, but not as pronounced.

I have a theory, which I call the "SUDAFED THEORY OF GOVERNMENT". Everyone in Washington DC is so wired on decongestants that they go crazy from time to time, which explains what goes on on Capital Hill. It makes sense to me, anyway.

It also explains road rage. I wonder if there is a correlation between vehicular assualts and allergy seasons.

I also am amazed that no one has raised Sudafed as a defense to a murder or assualt charge. I mean the stuff really wires you up! Hell, if they can raise a"twinkie" defense, Sudafed should be a shoo-in.

Just a theory, anyway.

I am suprised they didn't ban this stuff sooner.

--Bob.

I've

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robertbell:
I stopped taking Sudafed and use Allegra (occasionally) and Echniecia/Goldenseal. Both have similar effects, but not as pronounced.

Just a warning, though--echinacea and goldenseal are not recommended for daily use by anyone and should be used cautiously, if at all, by anyone with asthma or any other immune disorder. I'm sort of surprised they were helpful for an allergy problem, since they're mostly used to help the body fight infections and viruses.

------------------
Kiwibird
It's the bird, not the fruit!
The Kiwi Bird Page

robertbell

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree 100%.

Echinecia tends to dry you out, and if you take if for more than a few days, you go loopy. I only take it when I feel a cold coming on... and even then sparingly.

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Minor problem. PPA is not the active ingredient in Sudafed. Sudafed products contain pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. See this site for a list of sudafed products. You can check each one for ingredients. No sudafed products are listed in press releases as containing PPA.
Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robertbell

Really!

I think this stuff in Sudafed is more dangerous than PPA. I mean one or two strokes is one thing, a whole nation wired on decongestants is another.

--Bob (obviously not a chemical engineer)Bell

ROBERT.BAK

One thing that from personal experience I cannot recommend taking is large doses (say a teaspoonful or more) of cinnamon, especially if one is diabetic and particularly if one is on medication for the condition (some people manage it by diet alone). I tried a teaspoonful of cinnamon (dissolved in a yogurt — it tasted quite good, actually) recently, and it brought my blood glucose crashing down. Quite an unpleasant experience, though fortunately I didn't (quite) end up in hospital...

dcmoore

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride is a common ingredient in many Antihistimines. I think it is used to help counter the drowsiness caused by the other active ingredients, at least it seems to be an ingredient in many of the products that claim to be daytime friendly.

Interesting note: Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) is also used as one of the raw ingredients in the production of crank (Methamphetamine).

Dave "Watch way too much A&E" Moore

[This message has been edited by dcmoore (edited 11-18-2000).]

aelzemos

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dcmoore:
[B]Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride is a common ingredient in many Antihistimines. I think it is used to help counter the drowsiness caused by the other active ingredients, at least it seems to be an ingredient in many of the products that claim to be daytime friendly.

Interesting note: Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) is also used as one of the raw ingredients in the production of crank (Methamphetamine).

Dave "Watch way too much A&E" Moore
[B]

I take this non-drowsy Sudafed for my allergies on rare occasions (although I took it yesterday since my nose wouldn't stop running), and not only does it make me totally loopy, it makes me really tired, almost as tired as something like Nyquil. But the fun part is that I can still run around a bit on it...but if I stop being active, I crash.

Amanda "No wonder everyone at work thinks I'm on crack" S.

------------------
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol.

Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride is a decongestant. It is used to relieve "nasal stuffiness" and promote drainage.

Antihistamines dry out your membranes, including the nasal membranes.

When used together, the pseudoephedrine hydrochloride causes the nasal congestion to be released from the sinuses. The antihistamine will cause the membranes to dry out to stop a runny nose. With the two, most people can breath through their noses again.

Antihistamines make many people very sleepy, with or without the pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. The pseudoephedrine hydrochloride is not used to counter the sleepiness.

Sudafed® is a brand name that includes some products that contain only pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. However some other Sudafed® products contain additional active ingredients. For instance, the Cold & Allergy product contains chlorpheniramine maleate in addition to the pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. You must be sure when talking about "Sudafed" that everyone is talking about the same Sudafed® product.

White vinegar is also an ingredient in crank. No one gets high on salad dressing. All the ingredients in crank go through multiple chemical reactions making the end result totally different from the initial ingredients. In fact, the first thing you do is chemically change the pseudoephedrine hydrochloride to pseudoephedrine acetate, an entirely different chemical.

Sara "reads the labels"

[This message has been edited by Sara at home (edited 11-26-2000).]

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dcmoore

quote:
Sudafed did the job, but it does make you a bit CRAZY! It seems to raise your blood pressure, while at the same time making you really calm and mildly buzzed.

You are really relaxed and calm and everything is fine until some asshole annoys you and then you JUST LOSE IT! The high blood pressure ovecomes the calming/drowsey effects with a vengence and you kind of go wacky.

--Bob.

Those are curiously similar to the effects of Methamphetamines.

Asynjur

quote:
The FDA is finally banning PPA, the active ingredient in many over-the-counter cold remedies, including Sudafed.

Is this true? That is the only medication that gives me any relief for my vasomotor rhinitis (as opposed to allergic rhinitis AKA allergies, although I have those too). I might as well just shoot myself now...

"Antihistamines usually don't work well, but decongestants containing pseudophedrine may provide some partial relief."

from -
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/content/article/899250622.html

Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Asynjur:
Is this true?

No, it's not true. Scroll to the fourth post -- by Kathy B -- in this thread.

Sare

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Asynjur

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
No, it's not true. Scroll to the fourth post -- by Kathy B -- in this thread.
Sare

Oops! That's what I get for panicking and not reading. Thanks.

Asynjur

"Don't stay calm, everybody panic!"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages