snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Ted Koppel's prom date: Janis Joplin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ted Koppel's prom date: Janis Joplin
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did ABC's Ted Koppel go to a prom with Janis Joplin?

I recall hearing ABC newsman Ted Koppel on a television talk show being
asked by the host if it was true that he'd taken singer Janis Joplin to a
school "prom" as his date. As I remember the conversation, he confirmed
that he did, but dismissed it as "just a date." I don't remember what
show or who the host was. I've searched the web and I found a site that
listed Janis Joplin's date to her senior prom, but none mentioning of any
connection to her and Ted Koppel. An unlikely pair to say the least. Is
this just an Urban Legend?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Koppel was older than that (Joplin would be 62 this year). I just saw a biography of Joplin written by her sister that had a bunch of high-school eara pictures of her, and I don't remember seeing any mention of Koppel among them. If it were true, I think it would have been mentioned.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought Koppel was older than that (Joplin would be 62 this year).
Ted Koppel is 65 this year, so it's not too much of a stretch from an age standpoint. I'm not sure where their paths could conceivably have crossed, though, since I don't think Koppel was anywhere near Texas in those days.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As the resident Janis Joplin expert, I will confirm that no, Janis Joplin did not even know Ted Koppel, much less date him.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages