snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Disappearing TV characters (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disappearing TV characters
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I recall, the character was dropped because he had no specific personality. He was too egghead to be Tony, and not good-looking enough to be Bobby. He was like a male Nardo, and never had any story arcs.
And his blandness made him the logical character to drop in favor of Jim. Perhaps he might have been dropped even if Jim had not been added, but we'll never know. As producer Ed Weinberger said at the time, "We just had too many people. We couldn't write for everybody."

quote:
Final question: Was an explanation ever given for the disappearance of Adam from Bonanza?
Yes, he was said to have moved away somewhere (Australia, I think). The producers deliberately left his character's fate open in case Pernell Roberts reconsidered and returned to the show.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy Meets World had two characters with a long hiatus, and I loved the way they dealt with it. The first was Corey's younger sister, who disappeared for a few seasons and then suddenly came back a few years later. When she walked down the steps, everyone in the room was shocked and I think the dialog exchange was somewhere along the lines of "Where have you been?" "In my room...for a very, very long time". Also, the nerdy character Minkus was a classmate in Junior High, but suddenly got written out of the show for the high school years. In an episode where they are getting ready to graduate, Corey runs into Minkus in the hallway. Stunned, Corey asked "Where have you been for the last 4 years?" and Minkus replies "All my classes where in that hallway, and the camera shot changes from the shot of the school hallway they have used since the first season to another, completely different hallway.
Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rufus T. Firefly
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For one season, "married...With Children" pulled a Cousin Oliver when the family adopted their nephew Seven. Although they made a couple joking references to his disappearance later on, I don't believe his departure was ever explained or acknowledged.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bellatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bellatrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the imdb trivia page of Jamie Foxworth:

"After a few seasons on Family Matters her character went upstairs and never returned. Her part was discontinued because producers chose not to develop her character"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------
Am i right or what

Posts: 163 | From: MA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Publius:
Did we ever learn what happened to Mandy on The West Wing?

For that matter, what happened to Sam (Rob Lowe)? Last we see him, he's running for the House in Orange County, and expected to lose horribly. So what happened? If he lost, why didn't he come back to DC? If he won, why wasn't that mentioned? (At least he's been mentioned since then, though. Poor Mandy is treated as if she never existed...) (Or did I miss something somewhere?)

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vyera:
I think Kenny from South Park use to have an older brother.You see him in one episode.

Kevin (Kenny's brother, and one of about three "Kevins" on South Park) was in more than one episode; he would frequently show up whenever Kenny's family was shown. He was never really an important part of any episode, however, so it's possible Parker and Stone just forgot about him.

quote:
I haven't seen Stan's older sister in a while either.
Shelly's been seen recently, I believe. I'm pretty sure she was in an episode this season. (The roles of the female characters did seem to get scaled back quite a bit after Mary Kay Bergman's death, however.)

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Mandy quietly resigned over the flap where the bad guys were using an opposition memo that she wrote during her leave of absence from the White House against the President?!?

Or did she commit suicide in a car in a parking lot in Virginia, but we know it was really President Bartlett's hit squads who killed her and juat set it up to look like a suicide? [Eek!]

Four Five Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember if they explained Floyd the Barber's disappearance from The Andy Griffith Show - he was replaced by Emmit, and his 'Fix It' shop.

Or maybe he was sent up for abusing Kurt Cobain!

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Count of Monte Chris-J:
The Phil Hartman-voiced characters on The Simpsons, Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz [Frown]

*mourn*

I miss them.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bellatrix

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bellatrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about this from boy meets world:

"In the beginning of the show, Shawn mentions he has a sister. This 'sister' helped with the "straightening" of Cory's hair in one of the episodes. However, later on in the show, we learn that Shawn doesn't have a sister"

--------------------
Am i right or what

Posts: 163 | From: MA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of M*A*S*H: in 1974, it was announced in TV Guide that singer Loudon Wainwright III was joining the regular cast of M*A*S*H. He appeared in only three episodes before vanishing, probably because they didn't have any idea what to do with him. There was no explanation of his appearance, either, and in the only episode I've seen him in, he just was showing singing a song at the end and doing nothing else.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Simpsons had Dr. Marvin Monroe, who appeared in several episodes during the first couple of seasons. He disappeared and wasn't heard from again until a clip show aired that said he was one of two characters who died (the other being Bleeding Gums Murphy) at that point. Of course, no mention of his death was ever in an actual episode before that clip show.

Mack da "He was so Jung" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
o The "Spearchucker" and "Ugly John" characters were dropped from M*A*S*H without notice partway through the first season.
o The producers of M*A*S*H claimed for PR purposes that the Spearchucker character was written out when they "found out there were no African-American doctors stationed in Korea during the war," but it's pretty clear Spearchucker and Ugly John were dropped because the cast was too large for them to be used effectively.

I don't recall what reason was given, but Lt. Dish (Karen Phillip, formerly of Brasil '66) didn't survive beyond the first season, either.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:
The Simpsons had Dr. Marvin Monroe, who appeared in several episodes during the first couple of seasons. He disappeared and wasn't heard from again until a clip show aired that said he was one of two characters who died (the other being Bleeding Gums Murphy) at that point. Of course, no mention of his death was ever in an actual episode before that clip show.

And then he miraculously came back to life last season for a book signing. There was some sort of gag about it, but I don't remember it. It must not have been that funny.

And did anyone watch Good Morning Miami? For about half of the first season there was a nun that did the weather forcasts. She just disappeared at some point.

Wilda"The show wasn't that good, but I just had to find out what was going to happen."Beast

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty

quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
quote:
Originally posted by Count of Monte Chris-J:
The Phil Hartman-voiced characters on The Simpsons, Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz [Frown]

*mourn*

I miss them.

They had to ditch them, no one would ever have accepted them being voiced by someone different - kinda like Kermit has never been the same since Jim Henson.

Sigh - I miss Phil Hartman, too.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't recall what reason was given, but Lt. Dish (Karen Phillip, formerly of Brasil '66) didn't survive beyond the first season, either.
True, but I think she only appeared in the pilot and a single regular-season episode, so she'd hardly qualify as a regular cast member.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking of M*A*S*H: in 1974, it was announced in TV Guide that singer Loudon Wainwright III was joining the regular cast of M*A*S*H. He appeared in only three episodes before vanishing, probably because they didn't have any idea what to do with him. There was no explanation of his appearance, either, and in the only episode I've seen him in, he just was showing singing a song at the end and doing nothing else.
"It was very exciting. A huge thing. Certainly millions of people saw me on TV being Capt. Calvin Spalding, the singing surgeon as I was called. A lot of fun to do. I did three (episodes) all told and wrote a bunch of songs for them. It was a great thing. I wish I had done thirty instead of three. They just used me three times and... I don't know, you'd have to ask Gene Reynolds and Larry Gelbart why I wasn't on again."
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
"In the beginning of the show, Shawn mentions he has a sister. This 'sister' helped with the "straightening" of Cory's hair in one of the episodes. However, later on in the show, we learn that Shawn doesn't have a sister"
In an early episode of M*A*S*H Hawkeye receives a sweater knit for him by his sister, but later on in the series he's an only child.

- snopes

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:
For that matter, what happened to Sam (Rob Lowe)? Last we see him, he's running for the House in Orange County, and expected to lose horribly. So what happened? If he lost, why didn't he come back to DC? If he won, why wasn't that mentioned?

Sam was planning to stay in Orange County to revitalize the Democratic Party there. It was expected he would run again in two years.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sign of Four Kitties:
I thought Mandy quietly resigned over the flap where the bad guys were using an opposition memo that she wrote during her leave of absence from the White House against the President?!?

Mandy was in the last episode of the first season as her usual character. The spat over the opposition memo was over.

But come the beginning of Season Two, and she was nowhere to be found. She was never mentioned again.

quote:
Or did she commit suicide in a car in a parking lot in Virginia, but we know it was really President Bartlett's hit squads who killed her and juat set it up to look like a suicide? [Eek!]

Four Five Kitties

Ahem. It's Bartlet. One "t."

Actually, it's my view that she was killed at the shooting in Rosslyn, but no one really cared.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wingnuts since have coined the phrase, "Going to Mandyland," for characters who disappear without explanation.

Hmm... when we say that around here, it just means I've gone to my own little world for awhile. [Smile]

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:

Actually the "Dr. Marvin Monroe Memorial Hospital" appeared in "Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part II" the first episode of season 7. This was the only evidence of his death prior to the mention in the clip show, later that same season.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bellatrix:

And speaking of that, where did Topanga's sister go?

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember if it we ever learned what happened to Mindy's father and grandmother after the first season (or so) of Mork & Mindy. I know they were dropped to bring in some younger, hipper characters, but did they explain it in the show?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Tale of Tootsie Teas:
I can't remember if it we ever learned what happened to Mindy's father and grandmother after the first season (or so) of Mork & Mindy. I know they were dropped to bring in some younger, hipper characters, but did they explain it in the show?

Her father's absence was given a very quick explanation that he'd realized his dream of touring in the orchestra.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu:
quote:
Originally posted by Bellatrix:

And speaking of that, where did Topanga's sister go?
Topangas sister was older, so it can be assumed that perhaps she was away at college or something of the sort. Or maybe they just needed her for one episode.
Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Trek=TNG - Lt. Tasha Yar died toward the end of season one. Denise Crosby wasn't too happy with how her character was developing and asked to be released from her contract.

Smallville - Pete Ross got less and less screen time until he finally got written out. His parents were divorcing and he was moving to Witchita Kansas. From what I heard, Sam Jones III asked to be released from his contract as well.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
Star Trek=TNG - Lt. Tasha Yar died toward the end of season one. Denise Crosby wasn't too happy with how her character was developing and asked to be released from her contract.

She died, though. We know what happened to her.

However, IIRC, we never dicovered what became of Ensign Ro.

quote:
Smallville - Pete Ross got less and less screen time until he finally got written out. His parents were divorcing and he was moving to Witchita Kansas. From what I heard, Sam Jones III asked to be released from his contract as well.
Pete's gone? Man, he was such a good character - the only one who knows Clark's secret and, therefore, the biggest threat to him - but criminally underused. They could easily have given him more (and more realistic) stuff to do.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rufus T. Firefly

quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VersesBatman:
[qb]However, IIRC, we never dicovered what became of Ensign Ro.

Welllllllllll...not quite. She did disappear sans explanation, but when she reappeared in the last season to wrap up her character, we learned that she had enrolled in some sort of elite strategic operations training thingie.

So she could've been a disappearing character, and was for a bit, but she ultimately came back to account for it.

mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
However, IIRC, we never dicovered what became of Ensign Ro.

From the Star Trek Home Page
quote:
Finally, after returning from a grueling year in 2370 at Starfleet's Advanced Tactical Training under Lt. Commander Chakotay and promoted to lieutenant, (Lt. Ro) followed her heart guiltily and joined the Maquis after a covert operation among them near Ronara Prime.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah that's what happened to Ro.

quote:
Pete's gone? Man, he was such a good character - the only one who knows Clark's secret and, therefore, the biggest threat to him - but criminally underused. They could easily have given him more (and more realistic) stuff to do.
It is a crying shame. The writers didn't know what to do with him for some reason [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Mad About You, Paul originally has 2 sisters, Sharon and Debbie. Once Debbie's character is developed we never hear from Sharon again.

ETA: Mr Wicker, the building super also disappears. So does Selby, Paul's best friend.

Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Married... With Children, in addition to the character of Seven (previously mentioned), there was also the character of Luke Ventura. A recurring character, he was Al's fellow shoesalesman at Gary's during season one (and possibly two), and then just... disappeared.

A few tongue-in-cheek references were made throughout the run of the show, but no canon explanation was ever offered.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After Lowell went into the witness protection program on Wings, Sandpiper hired a paramilitaric maniac named Bud to work as their mechanic. I think he was a regular for one season, tops, before he was very steadily marginalized and finally just disappeared (leaving open the question of, who the hell is keeping up the planes?)

Not exactly the best series to question character disappearances on, but on Oz there was a Russian hit man named Kosigyn who was featured prominently in a handful of episodes and then was last seen being dragged away by guards after attempting to kill another inmate. We never saw him again, nor did any of the characters ever explain what happened to him, our only clue to his fate being that he didn't end up on the oft-viewed death row.

Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
on "That 70's Show" in the first season in one episode, Donna had a little sister who was never seen nor heard from again.
I emailed the writers about that soon after it aired. They mentioned that it was a reference to Richie's older brother on Happy Days.
Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravensbane
The First USA Noel

Icon 18 posted      Profile for ravensbane         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Miss Kitty Fantastico in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"?

Personally I never bought Dawn's transparently gratutious reference to a tragic crossbow accident in one of the last season's episodes.

(My own theory is that Miss Kitty Fantastico was actually The First doing a little reconnaisance before making its move....
Think about it: did we ever see the cat and The First in the same scene? Of course not.) [Smile]

--------------------
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."
Dr. Charles Fisher, psychoanalyst and sleep researcher.

Posts: 671 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages