snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Sylvester Stallone: draft dodger?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sylvester Stallone: draft dodger?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I’ve heard that Sylvester Stallone, AKA Rambo was sent to Sweden
by his mom & coached a girls soccer team so that he would not be drafted
for the Viet Nam war, is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to celebrity1000.com , he at least wasn't in Sweden:
quote:
When he was five the family moved to Maryland and then to Philadelphia, where his parents divorced and Sly’s mother remarried. He attended school in suburban Philadelphia and became a star football player. He then spent two years instructing at the American College of Switzerland in Geneva where he won a scholarship.
Couldn't dig up any site that has the actual years he spent there, so I don't know if it was *during* Vietnam war - let alone *because of*.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
Couldn't dig up any site that has the actual years he spent there, so I don't know if it was *during* Vietnam war - let alone *because of*.

Stallone was born 6 June 1946, making him eligible for the draft from 6 December 1964 through 6 June 1971 under the rules in effect at the time (age 18-1/2 through 25).

Stallone was required to report to his draft board on his 18th birthday to determine his classification for draft eligibility. Draft board classifications can be found at the bottom of this page.

The lottery system for the draft was instituted with the drawing held on December 1, 1969, determining the order of induction for men born between 1 January 1944 and 31 December 1950. The point of the lottery system was to make each age group draft-eligible for only one year, instead of the old "can't plan my life for six-and-a-half-years) system." The draft number for 6 June was 110, and numbers up to 195 were called.

If Stallone was classed as 1A by his draft board, he should have been drafted.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hendy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That can't be true, as we all know Sweden doesn't have an army!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Stephens
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(following the chow)

He may have been considered medically unfit:

"Unfortunately, the intern clamped too hard and severed a facial nerve, giving Sly a drooping eyelid and lips, as well as a speech impediment."

http://www.readhim.com/Stallone.html

Bell's Palsy (which is what this is) is grounds for awarding VA disability if it's the result of military service, so presumably it's enough to keep someone out in the first place.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that same "comment" when I was a teen-ager. I took all my Rambo/Rocky posters down and didn't go see a Stallone movie for years. My dad is a Vietnam Vet and I couldn't be a fan of someone who dodged the draft.

I wish I'd known then what I know now (the previous posts here say it all), because I spread that rumor like any disillusioned teen girl would. I do still have my Stallone posters though, safely stored with my Rick Springfield ones. [Wink]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChiLlBeserker
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChiLlBeserker   E-mail ChiLlBeserker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard the rumour .. never really cared much though. I still haven't figured out what exactly would have been bad about dodging the draft for Vietnam [Big Grin]
Posts: 55 | From: Around places. Currently in Vienna | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChiLlBeserker:
I've heard the rumour .. never really cared much though. I still haven't figured out what exactly would have been bad about dodging the draft for Vietnam [Big Grin]

Someone else went in his place.
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And there's no record of his having attended his final year of draft dodging at all, the coward!

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sherri_lu:
quote:

I have to say I agree with ChiLlBeserker. If Sly got out of serving in Vietnam, good for him. No one should have been there in the first place.

Not that I don't have respect for the people who served in the war. Or any war, for that matter.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Dylan:
quote:
Originally posted by sherri_lu:
quote:

I have to say I agree with ChiLlBeserker. If Sly got out of serving in Vietnam, good for him. No one should have been there in the first place.

Not that I don't have respect for the people who served in the war. Or any war, for that matter.

Exactly! I also have respect for many of the veterans of any of the wars. I don't although believe that the government has the right to force people to fight in a war they may not want to fight in, in the first place, and in a war that they did not start.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChiLlBeserker
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChiLlBeserker   E-mail ChiLlBeserker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I have respect for people that fought in the war thinking that they were doing the right thing, thinking they were in fact protecting their homeland by fighting an oppressive regime in Vietnam - also if that's not my view on it, I have respect towards those that fought believing in that if they weren't personally responsible for atrocities.
I also believe that the Vietnam war was messed up from the beginning, and that one could not want to go also if not a coward. Considering how the war ended up going, I do think the time has come for those that went to "forgive" those that didn't. They *were* right after all - the Vietnam war *did* turn out to be pointless, as the US losing it did not lead to the worldwide spread of communism, the fear of which was the reason for Vietnam in the first place.
My dad was firmly planning on dodging the draft, with the full support of his family, including his dad and his uncles, all of which were WWII veterans. Luckily, he was noted inadequate due to flatfeet - god knows why, they never obstructed him in any way.
One group of people I DO have issues with are those that approved of the war in principle, obviousley hold militaristic attitudes but didn't go - that has been a HUGE beef I've had with W from the beginning, WAY before he became the controversial figure he is now.

Posts: 55 | From: Around places. Currently in Vienna | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FrogFeathers:
I heard that same "comment" when I was a teen-ager. I took all my Rambo/Rocky posters down and didn't go see a Stallone movie for years. My dad is a Vietnam Vet and I couldn't be a fan of someone who dodged the draft.

I wish I'd known then what I know now (the previous posts here say it all), because I spread that rumor like any disillusioned teen girl would. I do still have my Stallone posters though, safely stored with my Rick Springfield ones. [Wink]

I just had a weird image of Sly in Officer and a Gentleman -- Gere was almost incomprehensible blubbering, "I've got no place else to go!" They might have needed subtitles for Stallone! Any Gere posters?

It is an interesting discussion why there is such a stigma to being a "draft dodger." I understand there would be a certain irony if you starred in many pro-war movies...still, this is a personal decision, imo.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tetsuo_the_great
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tetsuo_the_great   E-mail tetsuo_the_great   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WEll stalone can be a right wing nut job some times so him being a draft dodger would make it even more of a bad thing for him.
Posts: 45 | From: Springfield, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is rather funny if true, considering his Rambo roles and all.
Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages