snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » hidden cartoon undertones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hidden cartoon undertones
hooded_angel
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever wondered how some cartoons have sparked off weird rumours of having undertones?
I think i heard something about the smurfs having some communist propaganda in it or something..not sure can someone clarify that..
and whats up with yogi bear and boo boo...a large boorish bear and a little cultured bear (big spoon and little spoon??)living together...
and lets not forget bert and ernie..think snopes has already done that one and debunked it..

bugs bunny promoting crossdressing ?? absurd yes..but still...

but the one that takes the cake is spongebob squarepants... there are so many obvious gay themed episodes in that one.. i think there was an episode where patrick played a husband and spongebob the wife as they raised a baby clam... it was creepy to watch as a 20 year old but maybe the kids found it funny...

anyone else has any other observations?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Master Bates

[Wink]

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
festus

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Squidward is like a parody of Paul Lynde, myself, or maybe Felix Unger (a VERY gay-actng straight man.)
hooded_angel

read that one..
what the hell is that cartoon anyway??
never heard of it...
and the "What's long and hard and filled with seamen?" joke is lame and inaccurate..
semen is stored in something(s) round and hard...

hooded_angel

i forgot to mention one more.
teletubbies. not a cartoon but still they created quite a few atrocities not excluding imparting bad english and retarding speech growth in children.
there was some talk of one the teletubbies being gay?(triangle and the colour purple)
and one mouthing off expletives??

Regina Felangie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well Tinky Winky carried a handbag around but he was initially thought to be a boy so they were saying he was gay,
i think it's quite safe to say that they are all Asexual though.

I know there was some controversy surrounding this to do with one of the actors being of an ethnic minority and parents complaining, or something like that...can't reall remember the details of it though.

RF

100th post, woohoo, (under this user name anyway)

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the show does use male pronouns for Tinky Winky and Dipsy and female pronouns for La La and Po.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie

yes youre right, i'd forgotten about that, strange, maybe its just gender specific for reference sake but with no specific conventions, such as 'fashion accessories'. It was only the handbag that made people talk about sexuality, was there something else I have missed?

--------------------

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a post at jumptheshark.com in which it was suggested that the Teletubbies *deliberately* played up the gay angle, as it got them good ratings for the young-adult crowd who'd watch it for a lark.

Characterizing humor is difficult. After all, by vaudeville standards, Thurston Howell and his wife were doing "gay" humor on Gilligan's Island -- except that "Lovey" was a woman. Still, look at the kinds of jokes they did...

And, yes, the bag of powder on Mighty Mouse *was* cocaine. More properly, it was an allusion to cocaine-sniffing behavior.

The point to all of this is that clever writers use metaphors that have multiple meanings, so that people can interpret them in more than one way. This allows for in-jokes among those "in the know," and also provides plausible deniability in case people get offended.

Unless you actually talk to the creators, you can't know for sure.

(I heard two of the animators for Bakshi's "Mighty Mouse" at the San Diego Comic-Con, and they said, "Of course it was cocaine!")

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Phantom Phreak
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Phantom Phreak   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Phantom Phreak   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
there was cocaine in mighty mouse? :|

--------------------
We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation!

Posts: 225 | From: New York, no grass... | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was en episode of PowerPuff Girls where the Professor is perparing for a date and one of the girls put a package that looks a bit like a condom in one of his pockets. I haven't seen this one but I heard about it on NPR. lol
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon Wench
Popular Seance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon Wench   E-mail Dragon Wench   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
in the powerpuff one you cant actualy see the package. It shows her floating there and she makes the motion of puting something in his pocket and she says something like "and you will need this".

--------------------
"this reality is realy just a f**ked up dream" ~Papa Roach

Posts: 81 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone wrote this long letter to my newspaper decrying Teletubbies because he claimed it brainwashed children into accepting communism. He went on to say the show had a resemblance to George Orwell's book 1984.

On the new show Boohbah(Made by the same people who made Teletubbies), my brother saw somwthing that looked kind of like a bong. It was this thing that made bubbles.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
After all, by vaudeville standards, Thurston Howell and his wife were doing "gay" humor on Gilligan's Island -- except that "Lovey" was a woman. Still, look at the kinds of jokes they did...
Silas

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
What in the world was "gay" about the Howells? Are wealthy snobs automatically considered gay?

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember an episode of Batman: The New Adventures - Batman Vs. Mr. Freeze or something, where there was a scene of the underside of a bed. The bed was creaking and bouncing and you could hear a woman gasping or groaning. Next they showed a young woman jumping on the bed, trying to make it to a window ledge. I thought that was pretty...heh...suggestive.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deviled Chicken Mari:
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
After all, by vaudeville standards, Thurston Howell and his wife were doing "gay" humor on Gilligan's Island -- except that "Lovey" was a woman. Still, look at the kinds of jokes they did...
Silas

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
What in the world was "gay" about the Howells? Are wealthy snobs automatically considered gay?

The mannerisms. Jim Backus excelled at this. His "Mister Magoo" was also chock-full of vaudeville caricature "gay" mannerisms. It's a very specific style, and has no more to do with real gays than cork-black-face minstrel acts have to do with real black people.

(Although I wonder about the "Queer Eye" guys. I mean, really!)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
what about the two gophers/squirrels from the old WB cartoons? remember them? "No no no after you!" "Oh no I insist! After you!"

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
what about the two gophers/squirrels from the old WB cartoons? remember them? "No no no after you!" "Oh no I insist! After you!"

Exactly! I've seen references, by the way, to the "Alphonse and Gaston act" going back to the 1890's!

(And have you seen the recent Duck Dodgers cartoons? Very nice stuff, very true to the original, but updated with some newer allusions and some CG animation. Just lovely!)

Silas

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alphonse & Gaston

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hooded_angel

there was a behind the scenes simpsons episode where at the end there were supposed scenec of 'next weeks' episode. it showed huckleberry hound in a retirement home sayind 'i was so gay but i couldn't tell anyone then' haha.. that was priceless
Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkiev:
Alphonse & Gaston

Oops. Okay, 1901... The reference I'm thinking of was a political cartoon, where the President and Congress were Alphonsing and Gastoning each other, neither wanting to be first to step into whatever quagmire was involved...

(By the way, the joke "Pro- and con- are prefixes with opposite meaning, like progress and congress" can also be traced back at least as far as 1901!)

Silas

Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Benton Quest and Race Bannon? Totally hot for each other.

What...just me?

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always liked the "hidden" parts of the older cartoons. My favorite was Underdog, and his arch-nemisis Simon Bar-Sinister. If you know heraldry, you know that the bar-sinister indicated the illegitimate son of a nobleman. So, all those years Underdog was fighting Simon the Bastard! Love it!
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lara

quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
Dr. Benton Quest and Race Bannon? Totally hot for each other.

What...just me?

HAAA! My sister and I, even as kids, thought that! There was definitely something going on there!
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^He's a Smurf who's just shocked at the allegations.

I can see the Smurfs being communist, in the same way nuns are "communist." They work for the good of the group, not themselves. Although they do each have some personal possesions. I'm not sure if that's communist or not.

This page (which I'm hoping is very tongue-in-cheek) declares:
quote:
The Smurfs are a perfect match to what communism should be in theory. The Smurfs have no currency and every thing is shared equally between them. notice that all of the Smurfs dress exactly the same in the same standard issue white pants and hat. It is nearly impossible to tell one smurf from another. This demonstrated the idea of total equality and that every member of the society was as important as the others. The Smurfs made communism look like a great form of government because all of the Smurfs seemed happy and there was no poverty or any crime. This was a ploy of the communist creators of the Smurfs that was used to turn the North American children on to the idea of communism.
Now whether that was really the point is a whole different issue.

If you're going to click that link, be sure to check out the page about Gargamel and Azrael, the evil "Capitolists."

Eve "So they work in the Capitol building?" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 601 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hooded_angel:
...but the one that takes the cake is spongebob squarepants... there are so many obvious gay themed episodes in that one.. i think there was an episode where patrick played a husband and spongebob the wife as they raised a baby clam... it was creepy to watch as a 20 year old but maybe the kids found it funny...

anyone else has any other observations?

Just thank G-d that, when it comes to SpongeBob Squarepants, we've yet to hear much in the way of rants or complaints from the Religiopolitical Right and their propaganda machine, especially when it comes to charges that such "promotes homosexuality among children."

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole idea that the Smurfs are trying to brainwash our children into becoming either communists or witches is something Jack T. Chick might propagate. Or better yet something Texe Marrs would promote.

HA! HA! HA!

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
or my mother would say [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages