snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Rick Moranis death rumor?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rick Moranis death rumor?
TXBardToBe
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 602 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this on a storm/weather message board of which I am a member.

quote:
'Honey I Shrunk The Kids Star Dead At 51'

Mon Jun 7,12:46 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Rick Moranis, star of children's favorite 'Honey I Shrunk The Kids', and the classic 'Spaceballs' died yesterday, at age 51.

Moranis was fatally injured at 11:50 a.m. Sunday when struck by a north-bound train one-half mile north of the Napavine depot while running on the track in front of the speeding locomotive.

Rushed to the Chehalis hospital by K. L. Marvin, ambulance driver, he was pronounced dead on arrival, and Coroner Joe Chytil was called to conduct an investigation.

Bud Nacht, who accompanied Marvin on the ambulance call, reported the conductor of the train said "[he] was running down the track apparently trying to flee from the engine, and we were unable to stop the train in time to prevent hitting him."

Deputy Sheriff Arthur E. Roswell, who conducted series of tests at mile post 63, scene of the accident, in an effort to better understand the baffling death, clung to a pole six feet from the railroad tracks while a train rushed by in similated circumstances. Roswell said that even had Moranis stepped from the tracks, he would have been sucked under the wheels of the "monster" if he had been that close to the engine.

"That's the most terrifying experience I’ve ever had," said Roswell. "That train loomed out of the dark in an overpowering manner. It towered upon the spot as it roared down upon me, and I believe no man could have hung onto that post with the suction that was caused by the air currents."

Sighted by Engineer

Moranis was sighted by the engineer as he ran down the track, and reportedly made no effort to get off the path of the heavily-laden locomotive.

Mrs. Margaret J. Holtberg, Napavine telephone operator, told a Daily Chronicle reporter Moranis was known locally as a "very cheery person." "People would always ask to take pictures with him," the operator said, "he always obliged, and he was always cheerful and smiling."

Citizens of hometown in Toronto, Canada were shocked at the news of his death and could recall no reason.

Rick Moranis was widowed in the early 1990s when his wife died of cancer. He is survived by his two children from that marriage.

The body is at the Sticklin mortuary in Chehalis, where it was identified by Burton and funeral arrangements are pending.

I've searched here, on news sites, Yahoo, fan sites, the IMDB listing, and the Celebrity Death Pool. Nada, nothing, zip. No mention of death or hoax or anything.

Usually, some fan would have already submitted the death notice to IMDB.com so they could update the stars page. Has anyone heard anything? Are they just trying to fulfill the "They happen in three's" prophecy? Reagan, Ray...Rick?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TXBardToBe

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha! Nevermind, I rule! (Or so I believe in my own mind. [Smile] )

Did a search for "Margaret J. Holtberg" and found this:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=localities.northam.usa.states.washington.counties.lewis&m=501

Hmph! Should have kept looking before I posted here. But I noticed when I typed "Rick Moranis" in Yahoo, it also gave me "Try again: Rick Moranis Dead, Rick Moranis Dies, Rick Moranis Death" as if others had searched also.

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to question something like that...I mean, nobody else had mentioned this in the news at all. I could just hear it, "Rick Moranis, funnyman from such films as "Ghost Busters", "Space Balls" and sketch show "SCTV" died today of..."

Trish "Take off, eh!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone went through the trouble of mocking up a fake Yahoo news page Monday for this hoax.

(It can be seen here.)

There's a few things that make it clear it's a fake - the URL isn't yahoo, and the URL 'formula' isn't correct, either. The date at the top of the page is static (Monday's date), while on the real Yahoo page, they get updated.

I don't know why someone would do this...it's really a dumb hoax, and rather disrespectful to the woman in the real story.

Nekogami

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmachic

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok in what death does someone name random people...like who drove the ambulance???
Cat Scratch Zapruder

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Spaceballs (okay, it's a guy thing). But hardly I or any media outlet would consider it a classic. And why would a death in Canada be reported from Washington? Unless there actually is a Washington, Ontario. Bad hoax. Bad effort.

-A "And I don't mean the ones in the Winnebago" Z

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Napavine and Chehalis are really towns in the state of Washington - which was the site of the original (presumably true) version of this tale, as linked in the second post by TXBardToBe.

I was confused as to why Rick Moranis would be on a railroad track in a hick town like Napavine, Washington (apologies if any Napavinians are here)!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages