snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Video game urban legends? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Video game urban legends?
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"For you all interested here is a pic (to see the image you need IE i think)"

No need for IE, I have a recent build of Firefox and it worked fine.

Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
must be mine then.
Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an interesting one. Apparently WOW and other MMORPGs are considered so addictive that the Chinese Government is imposing a 3 hour limit on them.

Another World of Warcraft legend: There's a small hill to the west of the Crossroads town with a "Shrine of the Fallen Warrior." All sorts of rumors started that it was some character from the mythology, but apparently it is an in-game shrine to an artist name Michael Koiter who passed away during production.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard similar things about StarCraft in Korea.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More game nerds, less babies, I say.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
D
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D   E-mail D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Listen carefully, does Mario actually tell Luigi, F*** You!?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/mariofbomb.html

It's a clip from the old Super Mario Super Show.

D

Posts: 22 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
doubt it, all i heard was "oh well luigi.."

by the way, who would watch that?

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dobers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dobers   E-mail Dobers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:

The Super Show? I would. I have a VHS tape from long ago with the Christmas episode and might have another one but can't remember what it was about.
Posts: 86 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On an unrelated note, has anyone heard where, in the old 8-bit game Tomato Kingdom, you could see Princess Tomato naked? I heard it once, on a website, I have no idea if it's true, and googling it just gets me Princess Tomato, neck up, peeking out from a shower screaming "You Pervert!"....

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Dobers:
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:

The Super Show? I would. I have a VHS tape from long ago with the Christmas episode and might have another one but can't remember what it was about.
i just realised this was a real-time bit before tha cartoon. I have the cartoon on VHS. MABYE I HAVE THESE GUYS!

oh and the 3 hour ban on online RPGs is very real. Saw it on a news program.

IckleMissPhonics

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckleMissPhonics   E-mail IckleMissPhonics   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the online game you can play, I remember something about it was one of those role play ones and that it can phone your mobile. I think it was banned.

--------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasle"...Edmund Blackadder

"Is anyone, going, anywhere???"

Posts: 47 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Aquadude:
On an unrelated note, has anyone heard where, in the old 8-bit game Tomato Kingdom, you could see Princess Tomato naked? I heard it once, on a website, I have no idea if it's true, and googling it just gets me Princess Tomato, neck up, peeking out from a shower screaming "You Pervert!"....

you mean - "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom"?

i've searched pretty hard but have found nothing.

Although apparently there was a secret "game over" sequence.

OptimusShr
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptimusShr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D:
Listen carefully, does Mario actually tell Luigi, F*** You!?

He's saying thank you but it sounds like he's saying NFBSK you doesn't it?
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/mariofbomb.html

It's a clip from the old Super Mario Super Show.

He's saying thank you, it just sounds wrong.
Posts: 104 | From: Peabody, MA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Illuminatus:
[QB]
The other one I had heard regards Asheron's Call. Supposedly the monsters in that game could fight each other and gain XP of their own, lvling themselves up, even in the absence of players. As the story goes, one programmer was a Monty Pyhton fan, and created a powerful white rabbit in a remote area as a little in-joke to himself. Apparently, the rabbit began killing the oter monsters in the area, without interference from players, until it became an unstoppable force of nature.
[QB]

Well, since the thread is resurrected and nobody got to this bit of rumor/UL (ok, it is over a year old, but still an unsolved mystery [Smile] ) here is what I remember from playing AC way back:

Monsters actually gained experience fighting the player and other Monsters. Some even leveled up and became stronger. I am not sure if every monster was able to do it, but I do remember seeing the "level up"-effect showing around some of the critters.

The white rabbit actually was intended as a very tough and hard to beat monster. It was added as a reference to the Monty Python's rabbit.
The level of the Bunny, as it was called sometimes varies by source between 126 (although it seems to have been a display error), 503 and 666. At the time the bunny was introduced the highest level a player could achive was 50(not sure about that anymore, too many years gone by. Could well be that the level cap was already raised to 126 at that time), so a 503 or 666 Bunny was as good as unkillable even by a large group of players. Later large "Bunny-Raids" were organized to cleave it in twain.

Oh well, Asheron's Call sure had it's moments [Smile]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A killer rabbit was also introduced as a one-time-joke in the Stonebrunt Mountains zone of Everquest, if I recall right. Everquest also had, for a brief time, the option to play as a monster in low level zones and you could indeed gain experience and level, but you were unfortunately unable to save your progress in any way. [Frown]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IckleMissPhonics:
What was the online game you can play, I remember something about it was one of those role play ones and that it can phone your mobile. I think it was banned.

Majestic was the only game I remember that would actually call you. There's a thread on it in Amusement Bark, IIRC.

Another World of Warcraft rumor I heard: Supposedly the first character to reach lvl 60 did so in a week by having three guys play the same account in 8 hour shifts?

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Draos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here the one about the college that would give you a full scholarship if you were able to finish The Incredible Machine within a certain time limit. Sometime it was said that this school (whos name I never heard) would skip the whole school thing and give you a degree.
Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Another World of Warcraft rumor I heard: Supposedly the first character to reach lvl 60 did so in a week by having three guys play the same account in 8 hour shifts?

This is unlikely on a brand new game (though a brand new server of an "old" game is possible). The reasons:

-Game mechanics are not yet very well known. What seems like an easy task after a month or two or ten of play is usually considered next to impossible early on because people haven't learned yet to use all of their abilities to their full potential.
-Nobody else would be available to group with. If WoW is like most other MMOG, it is next to impossible to gain significant experience solo late in the game without both a great knowledge of game mechanics and a trickle-down economy that makes powerful equipment attainable only with a solid group (or in a raid environment) available for purchase by soloers.
-No trickle-down economy yet; see point above.

Also, people who accomplish such feats usually have their names plastered all over message boards, both official and unofficial, for a few days at least. It wouldn't be very hard to find a name if it did happen. If everybody heard that "some guy" did it, then it has UL written all over it. [Smile]

(disclaimer: I have never played WoW and have been out of the MMOG scene for close to two years now.)

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Draos:
Here the one about the college that would give you a full scholarship if you were able to finish The Incredible Machine within a certain time limit. Sometime it was said that this school (whos name I never heard) would skip the whole school thing and give you a degree.

I doubt it, TIM is made up of hundreds of levels and is an example of Rube-goldberg syle of engenering. I doubt that this could be tested adequately or reasonably or could even justify a full scholarship or just outright giving a person a degree.

Beating a game is no indication of actual abilities unless we build devices that operate on R.G. mechanics..

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Draos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:

I doubt it, TIM is made up of hundreds of levels and is an example of Rube-goldberg syle of engenering. I doubt that this could be tested adequately or reasonably or could even justify a full scholarship or just outright giving a person a degree.

Beating a game is no indication of actual abilities unless we build devices that operate on R.G. mechanics..

I doudt it too. For all the reasons that you gave it is a video game UL one of my favorites. But only because when the game came out a friend and I played it all the time. His father (an engineer) was the one that told us. Said his work was letting people know so those that had not yet finished school could get a helping hand. He showed the memo and everything. I didn't think it was true then, but the "what if it was" often came to mind.
Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:

I doudt it too. For all the reasons that you gave it is a video game UL one of my favorites. But only because when the game came out a friend and I played it all the time. His father (an engineer) was the one that told us. Said his work was letting people know so those that had not yet finished school could get a helping hand. He showed the memo and everything. I didn't think it was true then, but the "what if it was" often came to mind.
I loved the game too. I only wish they could re-release it so that it would work for Windows XP properly. The DOS version I had, just wont work properly.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
quote:

This is unlikely on a brand new game (though a brand new server of an "old" game is possible). The reasons:

-Game mechanics are not yet very well known. What seems like an easy task after a month or two or ten of play is usually considered next to impossible early on because people haven't learned yet to use all of their abilities to their full potential.
-Nobody else would be available to group with. If WoW is like most other MMOG, it is next to impossible to gain significant experience solo late in the game without both a great knowledge of game mechanics and a trickle-down economy that makes powerful equipment attainable only with a solid group (or in a raid environment) available for purchase by soloers.
-No trickle-down economy yet; see point above.

Also, people who accomplish such feats usually have their names plastered all over message boards, both official and unofficial, for a few days at least. It wouldn't be very hard to find a name if it did happen. If everybody heard that "some guy" did it, then it has UL written all over it. [Smile]

(disclaimer: I have never played WoW and have been out of the MMOG scene for close to two years now.)

Well, It seems plausible (at least in Wow) for a few reasons:
1) All MMOs nowadays, Wow included, are released only after a long public beta. The guys in this legend could easily have knowledge of high-level content from the Beta.
2) WoW is very, very easy to Solo, even near the maximum levels. It would be mighty, mighty difficult without the gear you would get from group endeavours, but not impossible.
3) The character's name may well have been known at the time he did it. However, WoW was released in October/November, and I didn't join in until Christmas. So by the time I heard this legend it could have easily faded. Since the game is awash in max-level players now, he would be easy to lose in the crowd if he were still playing.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages