snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » America's first inspirational song after 9/11/01 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: America's first inspirational song after 9/11/01
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where were you when you heard this compilation? Run Like Hell from Pink Floyd's The Wall album was used by (Clear Channel Communications?)a radio network shortly after 9/11/01. A Southern Baptist fire and brimstone preacher gave a rousing sermon. A US Marine recited "This is my rifle". George C. Scott said in his first lines from Patton, " We'll grease our tank treads with their guts!" This was not played in the New York City area. A Staten Island friend of mine didn't hear it.
However Pink Floyd's 'The Dogs of War' and 'Run Like Hell' were repeated alot on radio there. It gave me chills to hear it one time. To me this little heard compilation gained Urban Legend status, but did anyone here,....hear it?

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

Posts: 73 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DoYourDuty
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the veracity of this compiliation, but I'd get chills too if I had to hear Dogs of War more than once!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that one. Once, when I was in high school, a radio station was bought out and changed format. Before it changed hands, for a full week, all it played was the Funeral March, Pink Floyd's "Time", and "You Light Up My Life". Over and over and over. A whole week of three songs.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I don't know about that one. Once, when I was in high school, a radio station was bought out and changed format. Before it changed hands, for a full week, all it played was the Funeral March, Pink Floyd's "Time", and "You Light Up My Life". Over and over and over. A whole week of three songs.

35 years ago a popular station had a fire. The only song played when they quickly got back on the air,...Ring of Fire, by Johnny Cash. This was for one day only that I remember. Three songs for a week? The tuner control worked wonders again on that week!

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

Posts: 73 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoYourDuty:
I don't know about the veracity of this compiliation, but I'd get chills too if I had to hear Dogs of War more than once!

Chills? The ten plus one tracks of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason were read on Coast to Coast AM right after America's momentary lapse of reason,...ing!

Pink Floyd has 9 letters and there are a total of 11 tracks in the 1986/87 album. No Urban Legend there,...and I wonder if Daily Snopes investigated that one? I'll have to look from time to time.

This is staying on page one without my help. I'll watch periodicly to assist in keeping it there. CGK

--------------------

Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to do this, but I'm reminded of that clasic episode of The Goodies where they open a pirate radio station and they only have one record... A Walk In The Black Forest

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll change it to,..played alot instead of over and over. This was noted from a friend who liked Pink Floyd. The American Blues singers Pink Anderson and Floyd Council's first names were chosen as the band's name by Syd Barrett. There have been many songs of inspiration since. If you heard this compilation please let me know.

--------------------

Mr. Krinkle

i honestly don't see how it could fit in with it, but roger said taht he'll licence anything from the wall out to people if its non profit or for charity.
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was in college, a classic rock station played "James Dean (too fast to live, too young to die, bye-bye)" all day. I don't know why they did it, but I couldn't get the blasted song out of my head.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Krinkle:
i honestly don't see how it could fit in with it, but roger said that he'll license anything from the wall out to people if its non profit or for charity.

MK, On Pink Floyd's forum from England my topic there got asked the same question. How does it fit in? The background music was low in volume. The title "Run Like Hell" fits so well; it's what we want them to do. The way the song is sung and played; with "GREAT" determination. Our local Classic Rock stations play The Wall's (4:20) song alot. The live concert versions last much longer in time.

That was a nice gesture by Roger Waters. This moving piece was the first of many that I wish all stations would play more often. Neal Young's "Let's Roll" is one of many I miss hearing. If we let our guard down they'll be played again or new ones will be made! CGK

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not quite sure how lyrics like:

"And if you're taking your girlfriend out tonight
you better park the car well out of sight
Cause if they catch you in the backseat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box"

have to do with fighting terrorism. Am I missing something?

Trish "Why do they call it 'Run Like Hell' when they never say the phrase 'Run Like Hell' in it at all?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trish, Thanks for letting me know what the 3rd line is. I could never read(or understand the words sung) Roger's print out (by hand) on the album's inside lyrics paper. I agree with you, but my above post explains about all I know about the "why of it all". The "who" did it is the real question. I do'nt know if it was Clear Channel Radio. A friend of mine thought it may have been CCR. He's from Eastern Tennessee, and he sure knows a bunch about Rock N Roll! He did'nt hear it.

--------------------

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Down here, after the attacks, the local college radio station played Metallica's "Don't Tread On Me" a lot.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 84 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What was interesting to me after the attacks, wasn't what was played on the radio stations, but rather what wasn't. I listen to alternative rock and a band had just released a new CD at the time. Before the attacks, you heard one of the new tracks alot, afterwards, no one played it. I'll have to get back to you on the specifics (something about "angels having to die"). Also, most songs that were heavy on violence were no longer played. Don't get me wrong, I totally agreed with the policy at the time, but I definitely took notice when they started playing the songs again.

BTW, nope, never heard the OP stuff.

vanilla(loves the heavy stuff)pink

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never thought Pink Floyd as the patriotic type. They're music always leaned towards psychedelic.

Mouse the "I don't need no thought control." Louse

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla_pink tongue:
Before the attacks, you heard one of the new tracks alot, afterwards, no one played it. I'll have to get back to you on the specifics (something about "angels having to die").

Sounds like System of a Down's Chop Suey.

quote:
I don't think you trust, in, my,Self-righteous suicide,I, cry, when angels deserve to die

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trialofmiles
Congo Your Own Way

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trialofmiles   E-mail trialofmiles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla_pink tongue:
What was interesting to me after the attacks, wasn't what was played on the radio stations, but rather what wasn't. I listen to alternative rock and a band had just released a new CD at the time. Before the attacks, you heard one of the new tracks alot, afterwards, no one played it. I'll have to get back to you on the specifics (something about "angels having to die").

Like First among Axolotls said, that's System of a Down's Chop Suey. The radio station around here that played that song a lot before 9/11 kept playing it regularly afterwards. To me, the song had a lyrical connection to 9/11, and I'd think about it whenever I heard it.

--------------------
Good morning, fellow employee. You'll notice that I am now a model worker. We should continue this conversation later, during the designated break periods. Sincerely, Homer Simpson.

Posts: 371 | From: Connecticut | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Very interesting music notes, and thank you all for posting. I hope the compilation is never played on the radio again even though I'd like a copy of something I heard only once. I'll bet it generated too many negative calls. Maybe one call from the CEO of all the stations (under one owner) that played it. He may have said, "Pull it!" It was very inspireing the way it was done!

--------------------

CD

Drowning Pool's newest song at the time "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" wasn't played for weeks after 9/11.
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

CD, I'm un-familiar with that group or song. There was a long list that was banned by Clear Channel Radio. I read it once and there were many surprises for "the why of it all". You being from Massachusetts take "E" from your Encylcopedia Brittanica books all in row. Look up John Endicott. I'm a direct decendant, and we have a family linneage book with his likeness painted in the front. Thanks for your post. CGK

--------------------

STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
Drowning Pool's newest song at the time "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" wasn't played for weeks after 9/11.

Which was a shame, because it was a really good song.

Of course, I completely understand why it wasn't terribly tasteful in the aftermath of 9/11.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coal Glow Kidd:
There was a long list that was banned by Clear Channel Radio. I read it once and there were many surprises for "the why of it all".

Ban-a-chow

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, both of those songs weren't played for a while after the attack.

Thank you First, that was exactly the song I meant.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Cervus, Thanks a bunch, and I still do'nt know how you snopesters do that link. This site must have been where a long ago link took me. Run Like Hell's and whoever's compilation was excluded, but the Floyd song has no relation to terrorisim like we all know,....as noted by TrishDaDish. Urban Legend stuff!

--------------------

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

I also remember that during the run-up, and even more during the heavy fighting in Afghanistan, the local radio stations semed to be playing Metallica's "King Nothing" a lot. I may even have heard it dedicated to Osama.

quote:

Careful what you wish
You may regret it
Careful what you wish
You just might get it

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

Just want one thing
Just to play the king
But the castle's crumbled
And you're left with just a name

Where's your crown, King Nothing?

--------------------

Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:

MTV2 rang up the Millenium Eve by playing nothing but Prince's-1999 All. Day. Long.
Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Thanks for the posts here about "Run Like Hell"; Like Hell was not in the lyrics. The title alone, along with the serious sounding singing from Pink Floyd, had to have been the compilation designer's reason for their choice of The Wall's song. I would like to have been in Berlin at the Pink Floyd concert, and helped 250,000 fans sing "Run Like Hell". I've heard the concert's live recording of all attendees singing. Roger Waters can be heard,..barely. I heard the compilation once as noted above; a friend heard it twice. How many times did you hear it? It will be interesting to see how long this "Yes! I heard it!" response takes. FYI; I will keep this on page one until then. The drifting of threads amaze me! Sometimes they turn into gossip thats way off topic !......CGK

--------------------

JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny.. Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" got a lot of radio play on the rock stations around here. I don't think it was just for Saddam that they were playing it.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about "Rock the Casbah"? I would think someone had to have been playing that. The only song I heard that I thought directly related to 9/11 was that one by Alan Jackson. Some idiot requested it at the Freshman Formal. As if we wanted a song about tragedy at our school dance!
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, moonfall, I was thinking of "Rock the Casbah" when I started reading thru this thread again.
quote:
And the king called out his jet fighters...Drop their bombs between the minarets.
OT: I once heard a misheard lyric for that song that went:
quote:
Sherry don't like it
Rock the cat box, rock the cat box

Back on topic, I'm surprised I haven't heard too many overtly patriotic songs like Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." During Gulf War I, they played a version that had interspersed sound bites from George Bush Senior.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Enya's "Only Time"

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Well! Back to page one for comments about any patriotic song, and I'm still wondering,..... Who here had heard this compilation? Did Clear Channnel Communications put this piece together?

Classic Rock radio stations, syndicated nation wide, plays this Floyd song a bunch. I hear it two and three times a night! Not a day person I can't say how much it's played.

My further thoughts on why "Run Like Hell" was chosen by the unknown masters of radio.

The song is crammed full of crecendos and that to me sounds like ultimatums played softly in the back ground.

On two Pink Floyd forums I got strange posts, and again the Floyd fans had'nt heard it!

I'm looking for one here who has, and I'll let the thread drift on.........CGK

--------------------

CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think they were playing that Floyd song so much for what the whole entire song is about, but rather people were angry, "Run Like Hell" was on people's minds "Cuz, were gonna get you". The song opens with "You better Run, Run, Run, etc."

People overanalyze too much.

I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 204 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that Pink Floyd came up. I associate the Dark Side of the Moon album even more with that time period than The Wall. Speak To Me/ Breathe and On The Run (with the helicopters, jet noise, screaming and explosion at the end)are especially relevant. The album has some lines too that fit...

"Breathe, breathe in the air/ Don't be afraid to care. Leave, don't leave me" This reminds me of 343 FDNY that came in but did not make it out.

"And balanced on the biggest wave/ You race towards an early grave." The collapses.

Time:
"Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town/ Waiting for someone or something to show you the way." Digging in The Pile

The Great Gig in the Sky, self explanatory:
And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

I also listened a lot to Metallica just following that, songs like "Fade To Black" "The Shortest Straw" and especially "One" and "The Unforgiven".

The strange thing that I noticed too was that New York radio (WPLJ especially) dug out older music later that week and started to play it, like "I'll Be There" by Escape Club, "Show Me The Way" by Styx and for inexplicable reasons Sybil's cover of "Don't Make Me Over." The only connection among the three is that they were all popular during the Gulf War.

WPLJ played "God Bless The USA" by 10 AM on 9/11.

As for the "Banned List" some make sense, some are there for dumb reasons and some I have no idea why.

Good Reasons:
Metallica, Judas Priest, Rage Against The Machine- OK may be too negative.

Dumb Reasons
Peter Paul and Mary "Leavin' on a Jet Plane"
Rolling Stones "Ruby Tuesday"
Simon And Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Happenings "See You in Septemeber"
etc.

Inexplicable:
Jackson Brown "Doctor My Eyes" (no idea), Three Degrees "When Will I See You Again" (it's a love song???), Bobby Darin "Mack the Knife" (???), Surfaris "Wipeout" (Ok maybe so, though I always pictured this song in a Quentin Tarantino movie where one gang of punks blows away another), Neil Diamond "America" (this song celebrates immigrants???)

Hollies "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" -This song is often dedicated to NYPD/ FDNY who have died in the line of duty so it's very appropriate.

Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shizuku

Mac the Knife probably caused concern because of the lyrics, "On the sidewalk, Sunday morning, Lies a body, oozing life"
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages