snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Who Raped Natalie Wood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Raped Natalie Wood
ALadUnsane
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was watching the bio on ABC last night. If the actor who raped her was named, I missed it.

Any idea? Is this a new revelation?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All my hits on google say the actor/director is unnamed.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
All my hits on google say the actor/director is unnamed.

ditto

http://www.nataliewoodonline.com/biography/article1.html

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that too (missed the very end though, I just couldn't keep my eyes open). I think they did mention who she was going to see in the hotel but I don't remember the name now.

gee, that was real helpful, eh?

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 27 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'll admit it...I watched it, too. They didn't ever say the name of the actor - she was talking to her mother about an audition, and said she didn't understand why it was in a hotel room, and not at the studio. But they never named who the audtion was with.

I started out quite disgusted with myself for wanting to watch another ghoulish bio-pic, but by the end was fairly impressed with the over-all quality of the movie. Yeah, it was fairly soapy in places, but come on, she lived a pretty soapy life.

I thought, especially, the actors who portrayed Robert Wagner, Warren Beatty, and her sister Lana were well cast, and did a good job.

The guy doing Walken may have been a bit over the top, but with Walken, who can tell?

And, considering the amount of crass speculation has surrounded her death, I think the ending they came up with was very plausible. And very sad.

Ali "don't knock Wood" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
route66gal

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you tell those of us who didn't watch how they ended it in the biopic? Thanks!
AliBaba

Icon 06 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can you tell those of us who didn't watch how they ended it in the biopic? Thanks!
Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

The movie started and ended in the same place - with her drowning. It's sort of important to remember the fear of water her mother had instilled in her, in order to explain why she had never learned to swim.

The ending; they showed the fateful yacht trip with Wood, Wagner, their pilot Dennis, and Walken. They showed what has been reported on and written about at length by witnesses - the foursome going ashore to the local bar, getting quite drunk, and staying until very late, then returning to the yacht.

The way they handled her drowning was as a total accident; that she and Wagner had been arguing, quite a bit, due to his jealousy over her relationship with Walken (though the filmmakers were careful to show that there didn't appear to actually be anything romantic between the two. Walken, IIRC, was and is still married to the same woman, and has always denied that there was anything romantic between he and Wood.)

So anyway, after arguing, the three retreated to separate staterooms. As it showed as being customary for her, Wood took a couple of sleeping pills, but a couple of the bottles of wine they had left on board the dinghy kept rolling around and clanking together, disturbing her and keeping her awake. She went out, and in an attempt to retrieve the bottles, was loosening the ropes tying the dinghy to the yacht, in order to get it closer so she could reach it.

She slipped in the dark and the damp, and instintively grabbed for the dinghy, which had come unmoored from The Splendour (their yacht), and as it was starting to drift away, she was getting farther and farther from the yacht.

Justine Waddell, as Wood, did an excellent job, playing a panic-striken, water-phobic person, sitll very drunk, trying desperately to scramble up into a wet, rubber dinghy. It showed her clinging to the ropes, dog-paddling around and around the boat, trying repeatedly to climb onto it with no luck.

A few times she cried out for help, but no one on The Splendour heard her. A few people on shore and in other boats heard something, a woman crying out for help, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. (I'm guessing this came from subsequent eyewitness accounts.)

Finally, exhausted, still drunk, clinging to the dinghy as it drifted farther and farther away, she appears to have succumbed to hypothermia (and possibly the sleeping pills) and just slowly loosened her grip on the dinghy. It was really very well done and quite sad.

Hope that answers the question, and that I left enough spoiler space for anyone who maybe TiVoed it, or taped it for later viewing.

Ali "not really a surprise ending though" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Natalie Wood biopic and I missed it? Ack! Was there a James Dean in it? heehee. It sounds good, will it be released on video/dvd/etc?
-Lindi

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
palmolive

Icon 104 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how accurate this is--or from where they got this information--but this web page lists the name of the (still-living) superstar who allegedly raped Natalie Wood:

http://www.geocities.com/mnussitch/gossip.html

Scroll down until you get to Natalie's entry on the list.

AliBaba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, palmolive. As you say, the accuracy is pretty questionable. Just glancing at some of the entries for other celebs makes me wonder if they didn't just make a lot of these things up on the spot. And what, in god's name, is the purpose of stating someone is a recovering alcoholic? This matters why?

As for Liniglo's question, yes, the biopic aired Monday night on ABC. Here's the IMDB link: The Mystery of Natalie Wood. I'm fairly sure it will be released on DVD or at least re-aired. It was fairly high quality, and was directed by Peter Bogdanovich.

And yes, actors portrayed James Dean and Sal Mineo, among others.

Ali "could they have been any more obvious about Dean's sexuality?" Baba

STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to start a flame war or anything, but I enjoy the entries on entertainers who are conservative. They're usually something like, "conservative, but still friendly." I just kind of noticed that. That A List site is one of my guilty pleasures I must admit.

Back OT, my girlfriend is a huge fan of Natalie Wood. She was watching that biopic while I watched wrestling at my house the other night. She kept asking me to flip over and see what was going on. She didn't like the actress who played Natalie. We were wondering who had raped her as well.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:

As for Liniglo's question, yes, the biopic aired Monday night on ABC. Here's the IMDB link: The Mystery of Natalie Wood. I'm fairly sure it will be released on DVD or at least re-aired. It was fairly high quality, and was directed by Peter Bogdanovich.

And yes, actors portrayed James Dean and Sal Mineo, among others.

Ali "could they have been any more obvious about Dean's sexuality?" Baba

Thanks for the info! Were the actors portraying Dean and Mineo any good? accuracy wise, looks wise, etc? So many times they just push some guy onstage with brown hair. arg. As for your internym, did they portray him a straight, gay, or bi? Just about everyone has their opinion on his sexuality (I think he's a special case) so it'd be interesting how the movie portrayed him. Looking at the IMDB entry, I see there is also a Marilyn character. Eep, that's usually worse, with some blonde doing a bad breathy voice. [Smile] thanks for the info!
-Lindi

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That A-List site is intersting
it says this here
quote:
Perry, Anne. A murderer while a teenager.
So I got curious and did a search and found
this
So, I say, huh...

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the rumors on the A-list site are obviously based on characters the actors have played (forex Owen Wilson's "heroin addiction"). Others are just plain stupid:

quote:
Stamos, Rebecca Romijn. Linked with John Stamos.
THEY ARE NFBSKing MARRIED.

John Craven

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Linked doesn't mean to imply that someone's not married. It's just an easy way to say that a couple is together.

I'm not saying that everything on A List is correct. I'm just saying I don't think that's the best example. One that caught my attention is Halle Berry's entry. If you notice they list the name of the person who caused her to be deaf in one ear. On an earlier version of the site it said in Wesley Snipes' entry that he was the one who caused her hearing loss. That's been removed. It's just something I noticed this weekend.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

STF

Also just because Owen Wilson played a character that was a heroin addict doesn't mean that he can't be a heroin addict. Again, I don't know the validity of the info on the site.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After looking over the A list quickly, I wouldn't much trust it (doesn't mean I won't read it). It says Kirstie Alley turned tricks as a teenager. Highly doubtful. Give me a break, she grew up in Wichita, KS... We don't have a lot of prostitutes here, let alone, snotty teenage ones from white, upper middle class families. Ex-cokehead, yes... Ex-prostitute - doubtful.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone read the opening?

quote:
The following may or may not be true, and is based on hearsay, rumor, and gossip--most of it from relatively reliable sources, some from more dubious ones, and some based on my own suppositions. I have tried to make this list as accurate as possible, but in some/many cases I wasn't able to verify rumors. I have not put anything here that I know to be untrue.

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
palmolive

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As we all know, a lot of the "gossip" one reads on the Internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt!
In this case, the story of Natalie Wood's alleged rape first appeared (as far as I know) in Suzanne Finstead's biography of the actress a couple of years ago. Finstead claimed that Natalie was raped by a still-living actor who was a major star in the mid-1950s (when the crime occurred). When I read that, I racked my brain coming up with names of stars who were big in the 50s and who are still around. There aren't many! And I wonder whether "A List" simply took a stab and named one of the few who isn't dead. I don't know--perhaps they *do* have "inside info"--but judging by some of the dubious "facts" listed on that site, I'm not convinced of the accuracy of this particular allegation.

AliBaba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for the info! Were the actors portraying Dean and Mineo any good? accuracy wise, looks wise, etc?
Well, I guess I'd have to say...reasonable facsimiles. The guy playing Mineo was a little geeky, although dark-haired, dark-eyed, and olive skinned like Mineo. His part was very minor, so hard to say how close he got. The Dean character looked enough like Dean, and even sounded a little bit like him, but the ref in my internym was the fact that the screen play more or less hit you over the head with the idea that Dean was possibly bi. Again, no major news flashes there. I think, by and large, though, they did a fair job with most of the representations.

quote:
Looking at the IMDB entry, I see there is also a Marilyn character. Eep, that's usually worse, with some blonde doing a bad breathy voice. thanks for the info!
Well yeah, the Marilyn character was blond and breathy - but the one thing I liked is that they gave the character a sweetness that you don't see in too many 'imitations' of Marilyn, although it sure came through in her movies and interviews.

Anyway, like I said, I may be biased the wrong way because I went in expecting this to just be another TV-Movie hack job, but I think, overall, it was much more well done than I was expecting.

Ali "imitation of life" Baba

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages