snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » "Bad" things happen to actors who play Jesus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Bad" things happen to actors who play Jesus?
vominator
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 402 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
so anyway a couple people I know are going to see The Passion of the Christ. One of them says they were told "all the actors who played jesus had something bad happen to them."

According to James Caviezel, the actor playing Jesus, he was struck by lightning during filming. I suppose that started this silly rumor.

Anyone hear of other actors having this problem?
(or a different problem??)

***edited since the orig post done had bad gammEr**

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the actor playing Jesus in thye film was struck twice by lightening during the filming. Story here.
Not heard of anything unfortunate happening to other Jesus actors, though; the only other two that I know of, Robert Powell and Willem Dafoe, never had any accidents at the time and are both still alive and kicking.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you pronounce Caviezel? Does it rhyme with "Catweazle"?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about "bad" exactly but Ted Neeley who played him in the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" never had much of a career afterwards. IIRC he did a few spots on some TV shows in the 70s, did a few forgettable films and that was it.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And look what happened to Graham Chapman...

God: "Brian"? Oh yeah, riiight...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this rumour before. Max Von Sydow has played Jesus and still is alive and well and playing in film. Defoe still is doing well.
The only actor to have tragedy befall them is Jeffrey Hunter(Captain Kirk from the pilot of Star Trek) who played Jesus in King of Kings. His career was cut very short by a fatal accident.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, H.B. Warner always said portraying Jesus in Cecil B. DeMille's "King of Kings" in 1927 ruined his career.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

If anything happened to Max von Sydow how would we know whether it was the "Curse of Jesus" or the "Curse of the Exorcist" taking effect?

--------------------

Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brian Deacon was the actor who played Jesus in the 1979 Jesus film. Anyway, he still appears to be alive from his IMDB entry which doesn't list many recent filmed credits, but a few sites seen on google referred to him as more of a stage actor.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vominator:
so anyway a couple people I know are going to see The Passion of the Christ. According to him (and plenty of witnesses) the actor playing Jesus, James Caviezel, was struck by lightning during the filming, which started this thing.

Anyone hear of other actors having this problem?
(or a different problem??)

According to an interview, during the flogging scene, the actor playing the Centurion did something wrong and flogged Caviezel for real, leaving a 35cm laceration across his back.

He also suffered a seperated shoulder carrying the 70 kg cross over his shoulder.

To top things off, he also fell victim to hypothermia, due to shooting outdoors in nothing but a loincloth and wet down with fake blood and sweat.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story I heard was that there was a board protecting his back during the lashing. Part of the whip missed the board, or else it moved, and he got slashed pretty bad.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Artist formally known as Lola

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw an interview recently with James Caviezel and the interviewer asked if he thought all injuries and sickness that happend to him while shooting "The Passion" was a sign from God. And Caviezel jokeingly said he thought it was God telling him, he didn't like that particular take.
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:

The only actor to have tragedy befall them is Jeffrey Hunter(Captain Kirk from the pilot of Star Trek)

BUZZ! Sorry, wrong answer. Captain Kirk was not in the pilot of Star Trek, as it took place thirteen years prior to Kirk taking command. Hunter played Captain Christopher Pike. Thank you for playing. [Wink]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mattie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Artist formally known as Lola:
I saw an interview recently with James Caviezel and the interviewer asked if he thought all injuries and sickness that happend to him while shooting "The Passion" was a sign from God. And Caviezel jokeingly said he thought it was God telling him, he didn't like that particular take.

[hijack] Welcome back Lola! How've you been?? [/hijack]

--------------------
I don't want some pretty face to tell me pretty lies, all I want is someone to believe.

Posts: 1535 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
budgyrl

Icon 215 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Hell's Granny:

Yes, the actor playing Jesus in thye film was struck twice by lightening during the filming.

Actually is says that he was struck once and the Assistant director was struck twice. [Smile]
The Artist formally known as Lola

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mattie in pink and red:
quote:
Originally posted by The Artist formally known as Lola:

[hijack] Welcome back Lola! How've you been?? [/hijack]
Sorry to hijack
Hey Mattie,

I've been good. My work load has increased so that's why I haven't been around much lately.

talk2sparky
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talk2sparky   Author's Homepage   E-mail talk2sparky       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:

The only actor to have tragedy befall them is Jeffrey Hunter(Captain Kirk from the pilot of Star Trek)

BUZZ! Sorry, wrong answer. Captain Kirk was not in the pilot of Star Trek, as it took place thirteen years prior to Kirk taking command. Hunter played Captain Christopher Pike. Thank you for playing. [Wink]
NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Sorry, it was something we always did in college when someone referenced Star Trek (or Star Wars for that matter). No harm meant. What's sad is that I knew that, too.

On the show!

--------------------
"If the Internet teaches you anything, it's that there is NOTHING, NOWHERE, that someone isn't frantically masturbating to. " -snopes poster Brandi

Posts: 137 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose if anyone has the time to spare they could always try clicking all the links on imdb's list of actors who have played Jesus...

http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=Characters&for=jesus&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Although the list does include quite a few Jesuses (Jesi?) who are unrelated to THAT one.

Inicdentally, Ken Colley played Jesus in Life Of Brian - it appears nothing drastic has happened to him.

Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I don't know about "bad" exactly but Ted Neeley who played him in the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" never had much of a career afterwards. IIRC he did a few spots on some TV shows in the 70s, did a few forgettable films and that was it.

Actually, I think he tours with the stage version of "JCS"--I saw it in Oklahoma back in...'96? The program talked like he's mostly been doing stage and theater, and started doing JCS again in the early 90's. (I think it was the third tour of that he'd been on.)

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bowling Pete

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Will Ferrel played Jesus in "Superstar" he is alive and doing quite well.

Jack Black played "Jeepers Kreepers" a slacker version of Jesus Christ on Mr. Show. He's doing well as well.

CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, he's in the touring company, and he also originated the role on Broadway...IMHO, he's the most awesome person to play Jesus in the musical... I've seen it on stage QUITE a few times, I LOVE JCS, my ultimate goal in my stage career is to play Mary Magdalene.

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages