snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Family Feud Curse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Family Feud Curse?
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was flipping through TV with DH and saw the newest version of Family Feud. DH told me there is supposedly a curse on the show. That the first host had severe depression, one guy had a heart attack, etc. He said "everyone" knows about it, but I'd never heard it before. Couldn't find it in the archives.

Anyone heard of the curse? Anything to actually back it up?

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maya and Simone
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, one commited suicide. It was the second host (Not the one that was in The Running Man.) Forgot his name.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maya and Simone:
Actually, one commited suicide. It was the second host (Not the one that was in The Running Man.) Forgot his name.

Ray Combs (sp?)

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

The one that was in The Running Man is Richard Dawson, and to my knowledge, I'd say he's probably the most remembered Family Feud host, but I don't know if any bad has befallen him, due to a curse.

~Diz

MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ray Combs was the host that committed suicide; he came after Richard Dawson, who was in "The Running Man." As far as I know, Dawson didn't suffer any repercussions of any "curse."
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Louie Anderson was being blackmailed by some guy because he supposedly hired male prostitutes or something. don't know of any curse concerning Richard Dawson. He has an ego and a temper, but he had that before Family Feud. Actually, I think the show was good to him. That's how he met his second wife. Plus, I don't think he would have gotten the part in Running Man if he hadn't been the host of Family Feud. How many people remember anything he's been in other than Hogan's Heroes?

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karmyn:
don't know of any curse concerning Richard Dawson. He has an ego and a temper, but he had that before Family Feud.

Didn't he also have a drinking problem? There were times watching the show that I remember thinking "dude, he's hammered!"

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maya and Simone

So, who's the current guy on Family Feud?
DarkDan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard Karn. He was on Home Improvement before.

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.eonline.com/On/Holly/Shows/Feud/index.html

I knew E! even had a show about this. Richard Dawson apparently demanded alot of control.. Sometimes this show would embellish some stories though, but I guess that's why he left the show. I beleive he came back after Ray Combs killed himself didn't he??

Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trevor

I think that the urban legend about Richard Dawson's result from the curse was that he contracted herpes after kissing one of the guests.

I'm sure this is purely fantasy on someone's part, it has all the trappings of a false urban legend.

Trevor

rainbowmonk

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karmyn:
Louie Anderson was being blackmailed by some guy because he supposedly hired male prostitutes or something. don't know of any curse concerning Richard Dawson. He has an ego and a temper, but he had that before Family Feud. Actually, I think the show was good to him. That's how he met his second wife. Plus, I don't think he would have gotten the part in Running Man if he hadn't been the host of Family Feud. How many people remember anything he's been in other than Hogan's Heroes?

He was on my favourite game show, Match Game, all the time. So... that's one person.

And, yeah, Dawson went back to hosting Family Feud for a season (or so) after Ray Combs killed himself.

Somebody watches Game Show Network too much.

Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trevor:
I think that the urban legend about Richard Dawson's result from the curse was that he contracted herpes after kissing one of the guests.

I'm sure this is purely fantasy on someone's part, it has all the trappings of a false urban legend.

Trevor

So other people have heard of this Family Feud "curse." It's not nearly as juicy as, say, the DR Pepper curse though. Does it make me a bad person that I'm disappointed? [Frown]
The idea that Hollywood is ripe with herpes b/c of all the kissy-face "hellos" has always made me laugh. Maybe that's why you see a lot more cheek kisses now. [Smile]

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what of the Madden Curse? Speaking of which, should EA take up EGM on their suggestion to counter the curse's bad mojo by placing the entire Detroit Lions roster on the cover of this year's game?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
QUOTE]Didn't he also have a drinking problem? There were times watching the show that I remember thinking "dude, he's hammered!" [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don't remember anything like that. He may have. I have heard that his first wife trashed him pretty bad in her autobiography.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rainbowmonk

quote:
Originally posted by ooh la la Starla:
quote:
Originally posted by trevor:

Trevor

So other people have heard of this Family Feud "curse." It's not nearly as juicy as, say, the DR Pepper curse though. Does it make me a bad person that I'm disappointed? [Frown]
The idea that Hollywood is ripe with herpes b/c of all the kissy-face "hellos" has always made me laugh. Maybe that's why you see a lot more cheek kisses now. [Smile]

I heard on a VH1 special about AIDS that the cheek kisses started because in the early '80s many people weren't sure how AIDS was contracted and a lot of celebs were afraid they would get it by kissing.
Chuck

quote:
And, yeah, Dawson went back to hosting Family Feud for a season (or so) after Ray Combs killed himself.
No, Combs was actually (rather unceremoniously) dumped after the 93-94 season in favor of Dawson...in fact, at the time of his death, he was hosting another game show, the 95-97 entry Family Challenge.

As for Dawson's out-of-control ego, that was pretty much true...after the show took off, he didn't handle his newfound fame well and began clashing w/staff (even banning FF's producer from the set!), and eventually became rather cold and indifferent personality-wise on Match Game, which he was still appearing on (this eventually led to the producers offering him the chance to quit, which he naturally took).

If you're a diehard fan, you may know that during the final season of Dawson's run, they changed the winning score from $300 to $400...this was done as a last-ditch effort to keep him in line and tighten up the pace, but it backfired, since Dawson pretty much continued doing what he always did, in spite of it.

Why the return to FF in 1994 then? Mark Goodson publically stated that Dawson would only work for him again over his dead body...guess what happened in the 9 yrs between the cancellation of Dawson's version and the decision to boot Combs off of his?

Chuck

CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Dr. Pepper curse? How have I missed that?

Cherry "I'm a pepper, he's a pepper..." Queen

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BJ_Sturgeon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJ_Sturgeon   E-mail BJ_Sturgeon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CherryQueen:
There's a Dr. Pepper curse? How have I missed that?

Cherry "I'm a pepper, he's a pepper..." Queen

Here is what I have found on that subject.
Posts: 21 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... wonder if Reba McIntire or LeAnne Rimes will be the cursed one from the latest commercials.

Cherry "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?" Queen

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages