snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Flowers in the Attic (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Flowers in the Attic
CJ
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just figured it out, why they can't be true... I mean, all of the crazy plot twists maybe could have happened... but, in the beginning Cathy says she will be using a fake name, and her fake name is Cathy Dollanganger... but Chris and Cathy call each other Christopher Doll and Catherine Doll... which is pretty important to them, but couldn't have happened if that was not their real name... (I guess, unless, their names were close to that..) I don't know why that never occured to me before....

I still think there is a possibility it could be loosely based on a true story... authors often take things that happen and change them by artistic liscence, but are still able to say "based on a true story" because it sort of is.

I prefer the older ones... FITA being my favourite, and My Sweet Audrina being a close second... they may be trashy, but more than one has made me cry... When I got to that part in FITA when Cory dies, I was so upset that I threw the book out of my room in the middle of the night and aid I wasn't going to read it anymore (I think I was 11 or 12 at the time, maybe too young for it then, who knows).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

quote:
theoretically too old for classical ballet training when they escape from the grandma's home as they are approx 16/17 when they get away.
No, 16 or 17 is not too old to start ballet and be a pro at it... It's very rare when it happens, but it can happen. Baryschnikov started ballet at 13 for eg (not as old, but still very very talented). It's better to start late with good training, than starting early with awful training...

quote:
Also you have to take into account that Cathy WAS training herself for ballet during her entire confinement. So it wasn't like she popped out of the attic a total novice and then became a ballet star. I guess with all that time to spend stuck up in an attic why NOT train yourself in ballet?
Well, to me, that's the exact description that makes me doubt... If she trained HERSELF to be a ballerina, the chances of her becoming one are getting smaller and smaller. Training alone for 20 years would be worse than having trained with a teacher for only 1...

I know, I'm a ballet teacher! [Wink]

Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy:
If she trained HERSELF to be a ballerina, the chances of her becoming one are getting smaller and smaller. Training alone for 20 years would be worse than having trained with a teacher for only 1...

I know, I'm a ballet teacher! [Wink]

Well, she did take ballet as a child before she was locked in her grandmother's spare room. So she wasn't a complete novice.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe she had natural ability! Like Billy Elliot! [Wink]

Syl "Dance Cathy! Dance!" lavus

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CJ

Has anyone read "Fall on your Knees" by Anne Marie MacDonald? It reminded me of a less trashy (and longer) VC Andrews book... had similar themes, it was a family saga all in one book, with all the dark family secrets and all that... a really good book.
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CJ:
Has anyone read "Fall on your Knees" by Anne Marie MacDonald? It reminded me of a less trashy (and longer) VC Andrews book... had similar themes, it was a family saga all in one book, with all the dark family secrets and all that... a really good book.

When was it published? Was it before or after "Flowers"?

Could it be that the author of "Knees" is the same person who wrote "Flowers"? or if that was not the case, could Andrews have plagiarised the story? (ok ::thinks out loud:: "plagiarised" may be to strong and libellous a word to use... how about "Used a similar premise"?)

Is "Knees" better written, or does it have less inconsistencies/ incongruities in it? I might see if I can locate it, and give it a go.

:: heads over to the "what'cha reading in February?" thread::

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laura 2
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for laura 2   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A plain-TALK-ing Yorkshirewoman TM:
quote:
Originally posted by CJ:

When was it published? Was it before or after "Flowers"?

Could it be that the author of "Knees" is the same person who wrote "Flowers"? or if that was not the case, could Andrews have plagiarised the story? (ok ::thinks out loud:: "plagiarised" may be to strong and libellous a word to use... how about "Used a similar premise"?)

Is "Knees" better written, or does it have less inconsistencies/ incongruities in it? I might see if I can locate it, and give it a go.

:: heads over to the "what'cha reading in February?" thread::

Talk

Way after FITA - it's a 2002 publication. I haven't read it, but here's the Amazon page .

I doubt it was written by the VC Andrews ghostwriter. It seems as if the author is a fairly well-known actor and playwrite in Canada, and, as many have noted so far, the ghostwriter books aren't very good. "Fall on Your Knees" seems to be very well reviewed by both critics and readers.

--------------------
My Belly Dance Business - Galatea Middle Eastern Dance - www.galateadancer.com

Q: What's the difference between an onion and a mizmar?
A: No one cries when they cut up a mizmar.

Posts: 786 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Laura2, for that info, I didn't know it was as recent as 2002. I might just see if I can get a hold of a copy. (this calls for a trip to my local Waterstones!)

I also totally withdraw my queries about whether there was any plagiarism/ "plot-borrowing" involved. I thought it was a much older book.

And you'll all never guess what I found on the "bookshare" shelf* at work the other day......? A couple of copies of original VCA works: "Fallen Hearts" and "Dark Angel" (the two later ones from her "Heaven" series, the series I was referring to in my earlier post with the Casteel and Brandywine families in them. (I was dissappointed that the "Flowers" series were not on there)

I brought the two books home with me, I thought I'd have another look at them, and see if they really were as bad as I originally remembered them(!)

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CJ

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that "Fall on your Knees" was much more recent... very well-written... it is not a writing style like VC Andrews... but just some of the themes reminded me of it a bit... if you read it you'll probably understand a little better, I don't want to give the plot away though.... the author is Anne Marie MacDonald, and she is an actress and playwrite, and she also has a new book coming out shortly.
politicat

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for clearing that up about Carrie. I had forgotten she deliberately killed herself, but I do recall that she was never really healthy and did pine away... I always did like the name Jory, it was the only name I remembered from any of those books until everyone started naming the characters.

I read My Sweet Audrina too, and the one called Heaven, which also bordered on incest, by having the half-brother extremely close to the main character, in a way that put me off. Also, the father was attracted to her because she resembled her mother. All the other children were from a different mother.

Anyone read that one?

Okay.... sigh.... let's just chalk this up to 1) a photographic memory, 2) a mother with really banal taste in trash fiction, and 3) a summer before I was old enough to drive, and 4) a library too far away to walk to and no one willing to take me.

I keep mum's VC Andrews around as a reminder how NOT to write. The character development is rotten. (Obsessions with revenge? Maybe? Ya think?)

The "Heaven" series has something almost like incest, except it's social, not biological incest except when it isn't. And you have to get into the 2nd book, Dark Angel, to really get into it.
Spoiler Alert:

Okay, that should be enough. Heaven's mother dies at 14 while giving birth to her , and Heaven is raised by her father, his parents, and her step-mother in an Appalachian town that bears no resemblance to the place its supposed to be. (The DH being from the area.) She has a half brother - Tom - who is 5 months her junior, so obviously Dad had some fidelity issues. Tom and Heaven are really close, but as their world gets more and more impoverished (Dad's got syphilis, step mom runs off, nobody has a job, and apparently no one ever thought to look for food stamps) their relationship is more like Responsible adults than teenage siblings or even BF-GF. Heaven also has a boyfriend of sorts, the son of a well-off townie; of course, no one wants their son involved with a hillbilly, even if she's bright, and Heaven is, mostly, except for this vengence-blind spot. Maybe Virginia was going for the Greek tragic flaw concept. (Oo. This might have potential.)

Heaven's mother isn't a hill person - she's obviously rich, or was, from the quality of her luggage, still stored in the tiny cabin. When money gets really bad, Dad sells off the kids to whoever will buy them, since he can't take care of them. (Presumably, with the seed money, he can get a real job, take care of his father, and provide better lives for the kids, but Heaven couldn't see that if someone wrote it in the sky with blazing smoke.) Her "family" ends up being... weird; her half sister ends up becoming a surrogate mother for her "family", the minister and his wife; the two little ones end up with a real life and a real home; Tom ends up a farmhand.

Later, Heaven finds her mother's family, Boston Brahmins (Kerry's family? *snark*) and eventually finds out that her real biological father was her mother's half uncle, and that the boy she thought was her half-brother, Tom, and that she was half in love with, is of no relation to her. She also has an affair with her half-great uncle, before she figures out that he's her father. (This guy is named Troy.)

I seem to recall in the 3rd book that she has a baby and doesn't know if it's Troy's or Tom's, or the other boyfriend's (who is who she eventually marries.) You'd think with that much money, a condom or a diaphragm could have been procured.....

I found the Heaven series unfathomable, though I will agree with the posters above that "Sweet Audrina" was warped, but at least original. And on that book, the Electroshock was used only before they started screwing with her memories. Apparently, the rape and her family's reaction to it sent her into a pretty unreachable state of catatonia, suicidal behavior, and delusions. Once they did the drugs and memory weirdness, she didn't need electroshock anymore.

PCat, who wonders, with all of the interesting things that could be in her head, why the NFBSK she keeps the plots to bad novels in RAM .....

DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 303 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading a USA Today interview with VC Andrews about 20 years ago. The interviewer asked her where she got her ideas for her novels and Andrews said she go them from the headlines/news and that she was always surprised at what people did to those they loved.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About 2 and a half years ago, I saw a made-for-TV version of FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC. The mother had the kids confined because she didn't want her parents to know that she had any children. If she had any more she married, she would forfeit her inheritance.

The grandmother cuts Cathy's hair off because the girl is "unchaste." Cathy tells grandma that keeping the siblings confined together could cause them to see each other in the buff.

I don't recall any actual incest in the movie version, only the looking at each other's bodies part.

This is not about a V.C. Andrews' book, but during the '80s, incest seemed the craze in adult fiction novels. One of my favorite suspense and mystery novel writers, Phyllis A. Whitney wrote a novel around 1985 or 1986 entitled FLAMING TREE. In this story, a recently-divorced woman named Kelsey Steward goes to Carmel, California, to help a little boy named Jody who was injured from a fall from a cliff. Jody's mother, Ruth, was also injured but is now recovered. However, she pretends to malinger so that everyone will feel sorry for her.

Ruth's brother, Denis Langford, comes to visit often in the book. And then there's Tyler, Ruth's husband who is unhappy and brooding.

Then there's a tape recording made six months before of a live radio interview of Tyler by a woman named Francesca Fallon. She taunts Tyler about something that happened concerning his wife ten years before.

Well, it turns out that Ruth and Denis, full biological brother and sister had an incestuous relationship for many years. Tyler tells Kelsey that he knew it was going all throughout their married years. He says that Ruth's relationship with her brother simply went on after she married Tyler.

Yuck!!

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LuMaria

Wow, this thread is like stepping back ten or fifteen years for me. ...okay, fine, more like ten weeks, since I still have all five books from the FitA series, not to mention "My Sweet Audrina" and the entire "Ruby" series. I am not ashamed to admit I read drivel, it's not like I believe the stuff. But in reference to the blurring of the lines between reality and fiction, I just wanted to add that at the ending of "Seeds of Yesterday"...

spoiler alert, for anyone who wants to read it (hahaha, yeah, ok)
anyway, at the end of Seeds of Yesterday, there's a note from Cathy's son, saying how he found a note in her hand, a letter of some sort about how she can't go on without her "beloved Christopher". I first read the book in the late 80s, and since I was so young, I was CONVINCED for the longest that the book was based in truth because of this (and also because of the forward in FitA).

Amateur Sleuth

quote:
Originally posted by politicat:
Later, Heaven finds her mother's family, Boston Brahmins (Kerry's family? *snark*) and eventually finds out that her real biological father was her mother's half uncle, and that the boy she thought was her half-brother, Tom, and that she was half in love with, is of no relation to her. She also has an affair with her half-great uncle, before she figures out that he's her father. (This guy is named Troy.)

I seem to recall in the 3rd book that she has a baby and doesn't know if it's Troy's or Tom's, or the other boyfriend's (who is who she eventually marries.)

Mmmm... not quite accurate. Heaven's father is her mother's stepfather (not half-uncle), a result of rape. Troy is Heaven's half-uncle and the father of her daughter Annie, which works out well for Annie, who falls in love with Heaven's half-sister Fanny's son (whose name I don't remember -- my books are packed away and I don't feel like digging them out).

Yup, several recurring themes in VC Andrews' books:
  • Incest
  • Rape (sometimes combined with incest)
  • Obsession with money, youth, and/or beauty (or all of the above)
  • Religious fanaticism
  • An evil relative, usually a mother, grandmother, sister, or aunt
  • Premature death, often due to violence

Yes, I once considered writing a thesis on the subject, but I never got around to it. I stopped reading after the "Ruby" series; that one out-Andrewsed Andrews.

CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fanny's son's name is Luke, after her father. Heaven marries Logan Stonewall, who gets Fanny pregnant and Haven does indeed get pregnant by Troy Tatterton, but we don't actually find that out definitively until the book where Heaven and Logan die (I THINK it's Web of Dreams, but that may be the "prequel".)

Yes, I unabashedly admit that I read nearly every VC Andrews book ever published (stopping after the "Orphans" series.) Yes, they're fluff and mostly tripe. But they're good for light reading (I re-read one recently after reading "The Stand" and "The Long Walk" in tandem... very intense reading, I needed a little incest to take my mind off of it [Smile] )

ETA: Oh, and Heaven NEVER had a relationship with Tom other than brother/sister... however, she is inadvertently responsible for his death when she attempts to get revenge on her "father", Luke Casteel, by dyeing her hair and dressing in the clothes her mother was wearing when they first met to freak him out.

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a step back in time for me. Strangely, I remember that my sister had read both Flowers in the Attic and the sequel (what's the name?). Then my sister passed both books on to my mother, who read them and then proceeded to chew my sister out about having read the second book but made no comment on the first. At the time my sister and I were confused about that particular reaction. I think, though, that because the scene between brother and sister was somewhat less graphic than the various sex scenes in the sequel, my mom didn't object, even though it was incest. Then again, it could have been for some other reason altogether (mothers lose all logic sometimes).

I remember really liking Troy Tatterton in the Heaven series for some bizarre reason.

I liked My Sweet Audrina for its weirdness and because it wasn't developed into a series (thankfully).

Are the ghost writers truly writing books off of manuscripts and notes left behind by VC Andrews or are they merely using her formula so the family can keep getting money? I can believe that she may have left behind enough material for a few books, but not for the number of books that have come out since her death...

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like Troy too... I really wanted Heaven to divorce her cheating-jerk husband and end up with him. I think it was because he seemed so fragile, like he really needed her, and Logan didn't.

I actually rooted for Cathy and Chris to end up together in Flowers in the Attic... but in Petals on the Wind, I wanted her to end up with Paul and for Chris to just leave her alone.

I'm definitely going to have to re-read My Sweet Audrina, because I had no concept of what was really going on the first time I read it.

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
she did take ballet as a child before she was locked in her grandmother's spare room
well, again, sorry to contradict what you say, but a child can never learn what you learn at teenage or later... Basically, ballet is not like riding a bike... You forget (your body forgets) about it, and unlike other artform, you can't learn everything from age 7 to age 10... someone who would come to me and said they had training as a child may as well start with the beginners... You 'almost' start anew.. Not quite, but almost... You may keep some of your natural rhythm, your ability to follow left/right, your balance and other little nitty gritty things, but body development makes a BIG difference in what can be learnt.
It would be different with an adult (say, you did it for 4 years, stopped for 2, and came back) Then, it's easier to start getting fit again, and your level would almost be unchanged... But an 8 or 9 year old having done ballet for 2 years, is not like a 15 or 16 years old...

Oh, and please, don't get me started with Billy Elliot... the only thing the poor lad had in the film was his enthusiasm (well, ok there's something to be said for it, but still, he wasn't Royal Ballet material... [Roll Eyes] )

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jumping in kind of late here, but Cathy was taking ballet when they were taken to Foxworth Hall. So it wasn't as if she took it once, stopped, then started again when they were stuck in the Attic. She kept up with it.

She also had books about ballet and foot position etc.

Not saying it's realistic, that's just the way the book puts it.

Also, has anyone else noticed that in the Dawn series (I don't remember which book, off the top of my head) there was an entire scene ripped off from Petals on the Wind? I'm talking word-for-word. I was so irritated with it that I stopped reading any of the ghost writers stuff. No big loss, eh? As everyone else mentions, these books aren't exactly fine literature. Just like a soap opera in book form [Big Grin]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:

Also, has anyone else noticed that in the Dawn series (I don't remember which book, off the top of my head) there was an entire scene ripped off from Petals on the Wind? I'm talking word-for-word. I was so irritated with it that I stopped reading any of the ghost writers stuff. No big loss, eh? As everyone else mentions, these books aren't exactly fine literature. Just like a soap opera in book form [Big Grin]

Was the Dawn series written by Virginia Andrews? If not then that's some pretty serious plagiarism (if it is then it's some pretty appalling writing).

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly don't know who wrote it. I just remember it being word-for-word. I was SO pissed that they would resort to that. I'll see if I can find the book when I get home (I got rid of most if not all of the Dawn books.) I can read through all of the ones I had and Petals on the Wind quickly enough [Smile]

I'll report back when I can give better details [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawn was written by a ghostwriter. Ms Andrews died in 1986 so everything published after that was ghostwritten excepting Garden of Shadows and Fallen Hearts. Breakdown of who wrote what. Another site claims the ghostwriter is named Andrew Niederman.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira

Don't forget the obsession with being blonde. The Dark Angel book made me want to dye my hair blonde so badly when I was a kid.

Cathy also gets pregnant by Paul (or was it she was pregnant by Chris when they showed up at Pauls), but he does a D&C on her and sticks the baby in a jar in his office. She later realizes what it is.

As a pre-teen reading those books, I didn't even really really "see" the incest part of it until they were adults and married. Talk about oblivious.

Piers Anthony is another author that brings "ew, icky" to mind. Granted, Firefly (which gets into the gory details of an adult molesting a child and she "likes it") and some of his really whacked out fiction are at least not found in the young adult section, but his obsession with young girls turned me off of his writing, which I used to love. He's quite literally what I think of when I hear the term "dirty old man."

Ugh and the puns. The first few Xanth novels were great, but make it stop already.

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by megaira:
Cathy also gets pregnant by Paul (or was it she was pregnant by Chris when they showed up at Pauls), but he does a D&C on her and sticks the baby in a jar in his office. She later realizes what it is.

That's not how Paul explains it to her in the book.

Cathy collapses at her ballet audition with blood running down her legs. When she wakes up in the hospital, he tells her that she started hemorrhaging and her missed periods were due to her poor nutrition and extreme stress.

Years later, Paul's sister tells Cathy that D&Cs are abortions and that the deformed fetus (I think it had two heads or an extra arm or something) had been her baby (and yes, it would have been Chris's. Cathy hadn't slept with Paul when the collapse happened). Cathy freaks out and confronts him. Paul assures her that she hadn't been pregnant, and that the deformed fetus had been a medical school prank gift given to him by fellow students that he kept for year.

I took his explanations at face value, mostly because there wasn't enough to suggest otherwise, nor did I think there had been enough character development for him for V.C. to have bothered making him lie to Cathy.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira

Ah ok. Long time since I've read the books.
Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by megaira:
Don't forget the obsession with being blonde. The Dark Angel book made me want to dye my hair blonde so badly when I was a kid.

Yes- "blonde and perfect" because only blondes can be perfect [Roll Eyes]

What does D&C mean?

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi:
What does D&C mean?

Dilation and curettage. It's the process of dilating the cervix and scraping out the uterine lining. That's how abortions are (were?) performed, but D&Cs are also done as part of the procedure to diagnose the reasons behind heavy or irregular periods and post-menopausal bleeding to determine what the best treatment might be. Women who miscarry may also receive a D&C.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen

Dilitation and curettage.... most commonly used for first trimester abortions (or at least it was up until the 70's, now they have a better, more gentle vaccum method)... Basically, the cervix is soften and dilated and then a curette is used to scrape waste material (or an embryo) from the uterus. In the book Paul's sister tells Cathy that they did it to give her an abortion ("Oh, you poor thing... don't you know that a D and C is an abortion?") but Paul says all the periods she missed clotted and that's what they had to scrape out.

--------------------

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I thought that the sister was lying just to upset Cathy.

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jumping in kind of late here, but Cathy was taking ballet when they were taken to Foxworth Hall. So it wasn't as if she took it once, stopped, then started again when they were stuck in the Attic. She kept up with it.

Will I ever be able to even convince a handful of people that ballet is NOT as easy as following what's written in a book? [Roll Eyes] Obviously not, reading some of the misconceptions here... They are common, I give you that...
Reading and knowing positions is like knowing there are black and white keys on a piano... Doesn't give you the 'keys' (pun intended) to how to play well. Same with ballet. You can read as much as you like about it, it won't even get you past the first class! [Embarrassed]
No, it's not possible to keep at it yourself, training (even daily) on your own, and with books, videos, and interactive lessons on the web!!! It's not possible to assess YOURSELF what is wrong with your dancing, and the image a mirror reflects is not really to be trusted (not in ballet anyway)...

If only you'd believe that, I'd have made progress educating the non-ballet crowd... [dunce]

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But Frenchy! Cathy had natural ability and talent! She was BORN to ballet! [Wink]

[Big Grin]

The whole series of books is so melodramatic and quite silly when you think of it in context of real-life so I think Cathy becoming a ballet star has to be taken just like the rest of the book: as another silly chapter in a fancifully nfbsked up story.

Syl "Five years of ballet, not in an attic" lavus

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy:
quote:

Will I ever be able to even convince a handful of people that ballet is NOT as easy as following what's written in a book? [Roll Eyes] Obviously not, reading some of the misconceptions here... They are common, I give you that...
Reading and knowing positions is like knowing there are black and white keys on a piano... Doesn't give you the 'keys' (pun intended) to how to play well. Same with ballet. You can read as much as you like about it, it won't even get you past the first class! [Embarrassed]
No, it's not possible to keep at it yourself, training (even daily) on your own, and with books, videos, and interactive lessons on the web!!! It's not possible to assess YOURSELF what is wrong with your dancing, and the image a mirror reflects is not really to be trusted (not in ballet anyway)...

If only you'd believe that, I'd have made progress educating the non-ballet crowd... [dunce]

Okey-dokey. I'd like you to re-read what I said and notice me saying "not that I'm saying it's realistic." All I did was point out the way the book tries to justify this.

And really, who here has tried to convince anyone that the book is anything but a bad soap opera-ish romance novel with incest as the underlying theme? Nobody was saying this was a factual account of any sort of reality.

--------------------

Not Likely, Bear.

Wow, It's amazing how many of FITA's sentences end in exclamation points! Good golly-lolly! Really though, even though the whole story is complete trash literature it is also sort of addictive, much like movies that are terrible but you just have to keep watching to see how bad it can get.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that the scene where Cathy dances while threatning her invalid grandmother rated a BIG golly-lolly! Where do they get this stuff?

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

I've been reading as fast as I can to try to figure out which book "Dawn" copied from. Still reading.

One thing I have to say, in total agreement with Not Likely, is the overuse of certain expressions or ways of writing. I guess I really enjoyed these books when I was younger, but boy does the wording get tiresome! I'm reading the "Dawn" series and the 'Dollanganger' series right now and I just keep seeing the same language used over and over again. I'm on "Twighlight's Child" and I've read this numerous times in this book and the previous two:

grinding tears away "with [her/my] small fists"

Ugh. Between that and reading over and over how Philip's eyes were "limpid pools of desire", I'm ready to gag.

Anyway, I'm hoping to run across the part that was copied soon. As soon as I do I'll update here.

Btw, you guys were right. Between incest and rape, oh and constant tragedy, there seems to be nothing more to these books!

--------------------

Bach_girl

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi folks- I am new and this is my sixth post- hope I am not going to stir up a hornet's nest...

I am a (proud) V.C. Andrews fanatic! At least once a year- usually in the summer I love to while away a few hours of my time re-reading almost all of her books- I have at least one copy of each of her books- most of them first editions (only missing "Flowers In the Attic.")On an interesting note a close friend of mine wrote to "VC" not knowing she had passed away- back in the day- and was sent a handwritten letter from a relative of hers and 2 beautiful original photographs of VC who was a beautiful woman. She actually plays a cameo role in the movie FITA as a lady sitting on the stairs washing a window.

For those of you who have given up hope since the ghostwriter (Andrew Neiderman- who also wrote "Devil's Advocate) took over- you should really pick up a copy of "Celeste" (new book and new series). I was more disturbed after reading that book than "Flowers" for some reason- it was just plain creepy.

Why I love these books...I am not a soap opera junkie, I hate "romance" novels, and I am by no means uneducated...I read them as a form of escape. I read for entertainment and to relax.

I saw a lot of posts about all the books being about incest, rape, tragety, etc. I have always loved these books because...

1- The central character always starts out as an innocent adolescent girl- being a woman- I miss those days.
2- The whole "rags to riches" thing. The deprivity, abuse etc. is always described in such detail and each character's genuine appreciation for everything they gain along the way is just such a "feel good" kind of thing.
3- The prequel books gave me an understanding that some of us don't realixze into late adulthood about seeing things from someone else's point of view. Rather than dismissing the crabby old lady next door- it makes you really take a step back and think about WHY she is like that- what hardships she may have faced along the way etc.

Sorry this is so long!!!- In keeping w/ the original topic- if you have read anough of VC's books- you realize that there is obviously a reason for the recurring themes.

Jen (the longwinded newbie)

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages