snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » "Demolition Man" predicts future?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Demolition Man" predicts future?
greg writes
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching a rerun of the 1993 movie "Demolition Man," there's an eye-catching coincidence that's along the same lines as the "Back to the Future II" UL about the prediction of the World Series (see this link).

In the movie, Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes) is an inmate in a cryogenic prison who is thawed out for a parole hearing in the year 2032 in southern California. The cop who put Phoenix in prison, John Spartan (Sly Stallone) was also put in cryogenic custody as punishment for his unorthodox, wreckless law enforcement tactics.

Phoenix's mind has been implanted with information on how to escape, and in doing so, picks up his homocidal tendancies right where he left off ... killing four people in the prison. Using the Big Brother system that monitors every square inch of the city, the police call up the schedule of parole hearings scheduled for that morning.

Here's the kicker:

One of the names on that list is ... Scott Peterson.

Having gone to school with Laci Peterson, I am well aware that Modesto is 6 hours north of Los Angeles.

But who knows? Given the budget crisis in California, Gov. Arnold will likely only be able to afford one cryo prison, forcing him to populate it with convicts from around the state.

And the year 2032 would be about right for a parole hearing, if Scott avoids the death penalty and doesn't face life in prison with no possibility of parole.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amusing if it's true, but not too shocking. Both Scott and Peterson are very common names in the USA.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been a while since I saw Demolition Man, but wasn't there also a comment about President Schwarzenegger?

ETA: Terminator 3 also had a character to be named Scott Petersen, but it was changed to Scott Mason.

Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoWoman:
It has been a while since I saw Demolition Man, but wasn't there also a comment about President Schwarzenegger?

Sandra Bullock's character referenced the "Arnold Schwarzenegger Presedential Library," and said the Constitution was ammended to allow for him to become President. That's really part of long-running jabs Stalone and Schwarzenegger have taken at each other. For example in "Last Action Hero" in the alternate world, it was Stallone as the Terminator.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wacker

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read once that the planned original casting of Face Off was to be Stallone and Schwarzennegger. It would probably have been a terrible movie if that happened, but it would still be cool! Freddy Vs Jason esque.
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wacker:
I read once that the planned original casting of Face Off was to be Stallone and Schwarzennegger. It would probably have been a terrible movie if that happened, but it would still be cool! Freddy Vs Jason esque.

I remember when we were kids, and we thought up our dream movie, where a Special Forces type unit goes to kick some Russian butt (hey, it was the 80s), and it would have had Arnie, Sly, Jean Claude, Stephen Seagall, Michael Dudikoff, Chuck Norris, Cynthia Rothrock, etc, etc.

We'd drink grape soda in our treehouse and argue for hours over who should be the commander, Sly or Arnie.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen it yet, but I think I remember reading that there was a character in T3 named Scott Peterson. It was filmed before the story broke, so then later, they edited out all mentions of his last name. He just became Scott.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding T3, read my post above...Scott Peterson became Scott Mason.
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something that Demolition Man didn't predict; near the end, Simon Phoenix is delighted to find Jeffrey Dahmer in the cryo-penitentiary - but just the year after DM was released...
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/dahmer/trial_5.html

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Charismas Angel

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah, that is pretty coincidental. Yes, coincidental, unless Sylvia Browne wrote and directed Demolition Man [Wink] [Wink] (Ech, Browne, pssh) [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages