snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Village People members still living?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Village People members still living?
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure everyone remembers the musical group in the late 70s, the Village People.

I remember hearing a UL that the members of the group have all died of AIDS (or the original members) and I know that it's not true. But, the question came up on the radio yesterday how many members are still living. I know Glenn Hughes (the "biker") is not, and neither is the founder (not a member), but I think the other members and former members are still around, although the radio personality said that three members are deceased.

Anyone have any really recent information that could settle this?

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At last check, they were all still alive except for Glenn Hughes (the "biker"), who died of lung cancer in 2001.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the original members were Hughes, Alex Briley (sailor), David Hodo (construction worker), Randy Jones(cowboy), Felipe Rose (Indian), and Victor Willis (cop).

Sorry I couldn't link to the IMDb entries for Hughes and Jones, but frickin UBB won't let me put () inside URLs.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lola

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fun little Village People Fact: Victor Wills the cop is the brother of Valrie "Sold as a Rock" Simpson
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when I saw the "Married with Children" episode. Which is why I was quite sure that at least some of them still had to be alive.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

Thanks to Mr. Furious for the quick reply.

I'm pretty sure the individuals you mention were the original members as I had just looked up some information on the band. I just wanted to put to rest any misconception that some members died of AIDS and had to be replaced.

Thanks.

Bill

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 217 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
I remember hearing a UL that the members of the group have all died of AIDS (or the original members) and I know that it's not true. But, the question came up on the radio yesterday how many members are still living. I know Glenn Hughes (the "biker") is not, and neither is the founder (not a member), but I think the other members and former members are still around, although the radio personality said that three members are deceased.

IIRC, the founder is the only person associated with the group that died of AIDS. Although he selected performers who would be attractive to gay men, the performers themselves weren't gay.

buf 'the things you learn on "Behind the Music"' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

Well considering it was only two decades ago, and there were four (?) of them, and most folk live to 80 these days, I'd say there was a good chance many would be alive.

I'm sure they'd a '90s comeback. God that was ugly, seeing all of them so old! Not being agist, but trying to look as if you're a twenty something suppled man again when you're at least double that age is something of a joke.

Mr. Furious

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[edited because I need to learn how to read]

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
IIRC, the founder is the only person associated with the group that died of AIDS. Although he selected performers who would be attractive to gay men, the performers themselves weren't gay.

I could've sworn that Randy Jones was gay.

--------------------

Deciduousblonde

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

I could've sworn that Randy Jones was gay.
I could have sworn Filipe Rose was gay! I am absolutely positive I read it somewhere - he was the only gay one in Village People [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages