snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » News reporter in explosion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: News reporter in explosion
Paul
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently saw piece of news footage of a female news reporter covering what appears to be a motorcycle race. Right in the middle of her schpeel, a motorcycle jumps out and a second later an explosion follows behind knocking the reporter unconscious. Does anyone who has seen this know:

A.) If this was real?
B.) If it was, what was the status of the reporter?
C.) Where and when did it take place?

IMHO, it looked real!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 201 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure we've had this here before, but I can't seem to find it. (No doubt somebody else will immediately, proving me incompetnet [Wink] )

Anyhoo:
A.) Yes, it was real. If I recall, it was a bike stunt show of some sort, not a race. (Hence the pyrotechnics)

B.) The "reporter" (if you can dignify her with the word) was UK TV personality Anthea Turner. As far as I know, she suffered no serious ill-effects. She certainly fell off whatever it was she was sitting on, but I don't think she was actually injured.

C.) It happened in the UK, some years ago. I have a feeling that it was during her time on long-running BBC children's show Blue Peter, but I may be wrong.

VeebleFetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whew, thanks for remembering all that, VeebleFetzer. Because of all the details you've provided, we're able to get to the Anthea and the Motorcycle FAQ.

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to be of service [Big Grin]

As I say, I was working from memory, and I could have sworn I'd read she wasn't seriously hurt. 1st degree burns sounds moderately serious, though, so the old memory's obviously going along with everything else.

VeebleFetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:
Glad to be of service [Big Grin]

As I say, I was working from memory, and I could have sworn I'd read she wasn't seriously hurt. 1st degree burns sounds moderately serious, though, so the old memory's obviously going along with everything else.

VeebleFetzer

Nah... first degree burns are about like a light sunburn(ie. redness and slight pain). Second degree involves blisters, and third degree includes charred skin.

Atlanta "to the third degree" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages