snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Entertainment Archive » Macaulay Culkin gay? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Macaulay Culkin gay?
Poets Fire
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just speculation here [Smile] ...

I just saw Macaulay Culkin's 20/20 interview with Barbara Walters. I can honestly saw I have never seen a more stereotypically effeminate man that I didn't *know* was gay already.

Did anyone see the interview? Any thoughts? Are his mannerisms possibly the product of his horribly abused childhood?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnold wanker

Well, if "guilt" by association is your thing, Culkin was a featured guest on "out" British comedian Graham Norton's chat show. They traded a few "knowing" innuendo-packed comments - but then I've seen David Duchovny, Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer - some of the most heterosexual actors in the world - engage in camp repartee, so, prraps not.
Certainly, to still be a fan of Macauley Culkin to this day might be considered "GAY" in terms of the TV show 'Friends': something unfashionable or tasteless

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 08 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, he certainly didn't look too camp next to Graham, did he?

Troll "haven't seen doggyphone yet" face

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kill Eye

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who cares?!

If Macaulay Culkin were gay, what effect would it have on any of our lives?

zero_chance

More power to him!
Blue Suede Jam

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't he in a film called "Homo Lone"?
MilkyWay Midway Bill

[only smiley who looks like 1 of the Village People [Smile] ]

quote:
Originally posted by arnold wanker:
...I've seen David Duchovny, Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer - some of the most heterosexual actors in the world - engage in camp repartee, so, prraps not.

That's what we thought about Rock Hudson too! [Big Grin]

Midway "Harvey Fierstein is questionable tho" Bill

Teri the Unique One

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Suede Jam:

Omigod, YOMANK
Poets Fire

quote:
Originally posted by Kill Eye:
Who cares?!

If Macaulay Culkin were gay, what effect would it have on any of our lives?

1) It would cause a deep rift in the very fabric of space-time... duh...

2) Those gay men amongst us just got once more chance for a date.

3) Incredibly funny jokes like
quote:
become possible (good one!!! LOL!)
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Erhm . . . isn't/wasn't he married very young, like at 18? I realize that doesn't necessary prove anything ::coughMichaelJacksoncough:: but it is a factor, at least.

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"GAY" in terms of the TV show 'Friends': something unfashionable or tasteless

Friends uses "Gay" in that term? Wouldn't they have been clubbed to death by activists by now? Can somebody give me examples, i haven't watched that show for awhile.

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
britlitgal

i love my foppish smiley.

anyway, i'm new, and after lurking forever, it is so nice to make my voice heard! (but unfortunate for the rest of you, ha)

as for those guys on "friends" being clubbed to death by activists...i guess someone didn't whack hard enough, 'cuz they keep making new episodes. although, that does explain how those girls stay so thin...(whack!)

melissababe

I watched that interview and I totally thought he was gay. I thought that if it was true, it may have been one of the reasons he hid out for so long from the public.

I felt kind of sorry for him because he seemed so scared and jumpy all the time. (Another child star who has had problems adjusting :sigh:) He admitted that he was almost phobic since it takes him so long to work up the courage to do anything, even go to the grocery store. [Frown]

Blue Suede Jam

quote:
Certainly, to still be a fan of Macauley Culkin to this day might be considered "GAY" in terms of the TV show 'Friends': something unfashionable or tasteless

Maybe he means as unfashionable or tasteless as the show 'Friends' itself?

Arnold, do you do music for Angel?

Can't think of any other Culkin-title adaptions.

Though he was in a version of The Nutcracker.

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 98 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pocket Rocket Gibraltar

Suck You In The Morning

Jacob's Lad

My Guy

The Good Suck

Getting Evan With Dad

Richie Bitch

And best (if most obviuos) till last;

Uncle Nfbsk

Troll "now you're just sulkin', like Macaulay Culkin" face

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sgt Otter

Well, according to the Internet Movie Database news section www.imdb.com,

Mac just blew $2000 on lap dances from female strippers. So he's either straight, or way gay and trying desperately to get back in the closet.

ravensbane
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ravensbane         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a simple explanation for the lap dances from female damcers Culkin's allegedly spent a good chunk of money on:

He is so gay that he has lesbian tendencies...

[Smile]

(Actually: it's his own business; I don't care; and there are such things as planted stories by press agents to spin images.)

Posts: 671 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 13 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So this automatically makes him gay, because he danced in a ballet? Pretty damn sterotypical if you ask me.

Lizzy "and rude" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Suede Jam

quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean Cheesy Queen:
quote:

So this automatically makes him gay, because he danced in a ballet? Pretty damn sterotypical if you ask me.

Lizzy "and rude" Bean

No. You haven't understood my post, or presumably anyone else's. You are wrong on so many levels all I can ask you to do is read the posts again until you understand and don't be so quick to judge.
schemmy
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schemmy   Author's Homepage   E-mail schemmy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He's playing a crossdressing murderer in his next film... that'll be something to watch.

-schemmy

--------------------
a real one-man army, huh? | Bad Beat Baseball Blog

Posts: 1222 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean Cheesy Queen:
quote:

Lizzy "and rude" Bean

No. You haven't understood my post, or presumably anyone else's. You are wrong on so many levels all I can ask you to do is read the posts again until you understand and don't be so quick to judge.
Then how about attempting to explain to me what you ment, instead of "no, you're wrong?"

So I missunderstood. Explain it to me. Don't just tell me I'm wrong. It's called communication.

--------------------
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bob the Goat, Queen of France

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lizzy "and rude" Bean

Blue Suede Jam was attempting to make a joke with the name "The Nutcracker" not the fact that it was a ballet.
schemmy
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for schemmy   Author's Homepage   E-mail schemmy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can't think of any other Culkin-title adaptions.

This was running off of the joke of "Homo Lone." Jam just commented that The Nutcracker's name didn't need to change for it to have a homosexual/NFBSK connotation.

-schemmy

--------------------

Posts: 1222 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Vein Jam

Yes, that's it. But I really don't feel like I have to defend myself against charges of homophobia. Like if someone asks me "when did you stop beating up your mother?" I feel to even answer the question gives it dignity it doesn't deserve.

I remember once online someone called me homophobic, and cos the charge was so ridiculous I said "well actually I am gay." The same person then bashed me for being gay! I'm not, but because I don't see it as an insult, I have no problem with someone believing I am.

Plus I'm pretty sure Culkin doesn't dance ballet in Nutcracker anyway and plus who says it's a stereotype that gay men are more likely to be interested in ballet? I'm pretty sure it's true, though that doesn't make it a slur just like calling someone gay shouldn't be a slur either. I had a gay flat mate who I didn't realise was gay for months because he wasn't into "traditional" gay interests (musicals, ballet etc), which shows I shouldn't trust in stereotypes. However, most gay men I know ARE into those things. More than hetero men anyway. That's not prejudice, just statistics.

Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fed:
Erhm . . . isn't/wasn't he married very young, like at 18? I realize that doesn't necessary prove anything ::coughMichaelJacksoncough:: but it is a factor, at least.

Y
O
M
A
N
K [Razz]

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard

quote:
Plus I'm pretty sure Culkin doesn't dance ballet in Nutcracker anyway
Well, if the picture I saw in the TV programme I bought today is any indication, if he doesn't dance, he does a good job imitating ballet. Yup, the movie will air here, on tuesday may 21st, at 8.45 pm, on TPS Star. Thank God I don't receive that channel. BTW, the critic said that, as Prince Nutcracker, Culkin is "unconvincing".
Blue Vein Jam

quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
quote:
Plus I'm pretty sure Culkin doesn't dance ballet in Nutcracker anyway
Well, if the picture I saw in the TV programme I bought today is any indication, if he doesn't dance, he does a good job imitating ballet.
Really? Maybe he is gay after all then.

[ducks, runs for cover]

Horatio

Well, for starters, I am gay.

To back up Blue Vein a bit, and to draw upon some personal scholarly research into gay studies and psychology, here is some info from the psychoanalyst, Richard A. Isay, MD (a gay man himself) from his seminal book "Being Homosexual: Gay Men and Their Development" (1989):

"Almost all the gay men whom I have seen in psychoanalysis [...] report that, starting from about age four, they felt that they were "different" from their peers. They saw themselves as more sensitive than other boys; they cried more easily, had their feelings more readily hurt, had more aesthetic interests, enjoyed nature, art, and music, and were drawn to other "sensitive" boys, girls, and adults."

I would add to that my own note - that while there are some who correspond to this picture, there are also gay men who have great interest in sports, didn't cry much as children, seldom felt "different" or "feminine," who fit in well with peers. I would have to say that the problem of nonconformity causes most of the problems that the "gender atypical" boys face.

Whether it is "sterotypical" to think that, more than likely, if you meet a gay man he is probably into aesthetic pursuits, is not my place to judge - but it's not a particularly "bad" sterotype anyway, to be inclined to artistic endeavours.

LizzyJingleBells

Icon 09 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Goat, Queen of France:
quote:
quote:

Lizzy "and rude" Bean

Blue Suede Jam was attempting to make a joke with the name "The Nutcracker" not the fact that it was a ballet.
Oh dear gawd...someone shoot me for being the biggest ass on the board. The joke flew right over my head.

Blue Suede, please forgive me, I am so sorry I misinturpreted your post. I was not, in any way, implying that you were homophobic, or that you had a thing against gay men. I grew up in ballet, and had several male friends who love to dance, and none of them were gay. I guess I just take that a little more personally than I should. It's the same kind of thing as assuming that all men in theatre are gay. Again, I'm sorry.

You may now smack me with a fish.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding in my corner.

--------------------

Blue Vein Jam

No worries. Lame joke anyway.

Edited to add: I just noticed my new cheese adapted name has a dirty connotation too.

Kill Eye

This whole thread is a childish Beevis & Butthead-esque string of gay innuendo jokes.

Joking at the expense of a segment of society and then explaining that you didn't mean anything by it doesn't erase the fact that you were joking at their expense to begin with.

If this were a thread of racial jokes a "come on it was just a joke" wouldn't be accepted.

--I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, just stating how I feel.

Kill "rather offended none-the-less" Eye

schemmy
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for schemmy   Author's Homepage   E-mail schemmy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that the people that get offended at most "unPC" jokes are ones that don't belong to the group that is being made light of.

-schemmy

--------------------

june_miller, frommage a trois

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by schematos, Satan's little cheddar:
I notice that the people that get offended at most "unPC" jokes are ones that don't belong to the group that is being made light of.

-schemmy

Don't sweat it. I've noticed that people who get their panties in a twist (on this board anyway) about ribald jokes tend to a) be new and b) go away after a while.
Kill Eye

How would you know what group one belongs to?

Don't sweat it. I've noticed that people who get their panties in a twist (on this board anyway) about ribald jokes tend to a) be new and b) go away after a while.

a) nice way to welcome new members b) new members are not always as new as they seem, some 'lurk' awhile before joining in c) no one's 'panties are in a twist' just pointing out that not everyone shares everyone elses sense of humour.

schemmy
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schemmy   Author's Homepage   E-mail schemmy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kill Eye:

How would you know what group one belongs to?

It wasn't a comment about you, just something I threw out there, in general. It's something I've definitely noticed - if someone were to scream "N****R!" on a message board, in general, the black people on the board would be less offended, and recognize the person as the troll they are; many others, however, would just first look surprised, and then get angry - in my experience at least.

I'm also speaking as a bisexual... the homosexual jokes don't offend me at all.

-schemmy

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages