snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Sleep-eating cockroaches

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep-eating cockroaches
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Tonight, I was sitting with some friends and one mentioned that cockroaches eat the
"sleep" from the corner of people's eyes as they are sleeping.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They do what???? That doesnt make any sense...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some 3500 cockroach species worlwide, so it's hard to generalize. But, generally, roaches are scavengers. They eat what they find. Some species prefer starchy foods; some want protein. They need moisture. The ones that infest houses prefer narrow areas where they can touch a surface on both sides. They'd rather scuttle along walls, so they can at least touch one surface.

So, under "normal" conditions, roaches are not likely to be climbing over people at night. ("Normal" being any infestation that is not so horrible it makes the news). The roaches would rather be along the walls and under the garbage pail or in a bookshelf. They may if an infestation is severe, get into bedclothes, but crawling across a person's face is really too exposed for them. On the other hand, if things are disastrous (as in the cockroach infestation is so severe, the roaches don't have enough food), human eyes could be a moisture source for them that might be attractive. In that case, you might indeed experience them crawling across your face at night. I found a number of such anecdotes, mainly from the tropics

But I don't see roaches heading for eyes every night on a routine basis in a more or less well maintained residence.

Source--Kathy B's personal expertise.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
They do what???? That doesnt make any sense...

Diddo on that question. I can understand if they are spreading the old wives tale "Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite" but cockroaches eating sleeps I don't.

Bad matresses, caffiene overdose, injuries, and a few others can be the lead causes of sleep depression.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Sleep" is that crusty, dried stuff in the corners of your eyes when you wake up in the morning.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Sleep" is that crusty, dried stuff in the corners of your eyes when you wake up in the morning.
And the cockroaches are welcome to it. It's not like I have a use for the stuff.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
And the cockroaches are welcome to it. It's not like I have a use for the stuff.

- snopes

But do you really want cockroaches crawling on your face to get at it. [Eek!]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But do you really want cockroaches crawling on your face to get at it.
I've awakened with rats crawling on my face (and peering into my mouth) before. Given the choice, I'll take the occasional cockroach.

- snopes

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've awakened with rats crawling on my face (and peering into my mouth) before. Given the choice, I'll take the occasional cockroach.

- snopes

What is going on at your house?!?

Seaboe, who does her best to keep the livestock outside where they belong (including the insectoid kind)

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The rats were probably trying to practice rodentistry .
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

- snopes

I first read thet as peeing into your mouth, not that either would be very fun.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall with unwelcome clarity the time I woke to find a cockroach wedged between my lower lip and teeth...you may hear the distant echo of my screams to this day.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

- snopes

No, no, no. Can't accidentally swallow a rat.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canora Venatrix sdb021499
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canora Venatrix sdb021499   E-mail Canora Venatrix sdb021499   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I awoke at my aunt's house once with a dreadful pain in my ear. I ran upstairs screaming and my aunt pulled on my earlobe and out comes this roach. I hate roaches. /shiver

--------------------
Linguae quae genera distincta non habent inuriam faciunt feminis! - Henricus Barbatus, Lingua Latina Multo Pluribus Occasionibus
Sweet Pea
Accidentally offending people online since 1998.

Posts: 83 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't know about cockroaches but my cat Mittens does that to me...sometimes she gets a little too excited and bites my eyelids...hurts like hell.
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who saw this thread and misread the title as "Sheep-eating cockroaches?"
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, have to say it.
Everytime I see the title of the thread I immediatly start thinking "can't sleep. Cockroaches will eat me."

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YAY! It's random fact time!

The average person, in a year, eats eight spiders in their sleep! Spiders just go on in, and get pushed down the throat.

Pork "zzzz chomp!" Chop

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazed:
Well, I don't know about cockroaches but my cat Mittens does that to me...sometimes she gets a little too excited and bites my eyelids...hurts like hell.

I had a kitten that did that. She'd always go playing with my eyes when I was in REM sleep. It was pretty freaky to wake up from a dream to see an open cat-mouth waiting to bite my eyeball.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pork Chop:
YAY! It's random fact time!

The average person, in a year, eats eight spiders in their sleep! Spiders just go on in, and get pushed down the throat.

Pork "zzzz chomp!" Chop

No they don't!

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard this one on Buggin' With Josh. It was started by sailors who claimed they their eyebrows had been eaten by roaches while they slept. Apparently, roaches are one of the few creatures in the world that can digest keratin.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

- snopes

Count me in. I'd love to have a colony of hissing cockroaches, but SO is too squicked out by bugs *sigh*. I have to settle for going to the petstore and fondling them wistfully under a clerk's watchful eye.

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
richard b.
If you're gonna scream, scream with me.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richard b.   Author's Homepage   E-mail richard b.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it's not a cockroach that does this. it's the kissing bug that does it. also, it doesn't "eat the sleep" from the corners of your mouth, but finds it an easy place to pierce the skin for a blood meal. it then urinates while it eats, spreading disease.
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inverts/tria-pro.html

Posts: 41 | From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yeah, that's so comforting to know. yikes. [Eek!]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
I just heard this one on Buggin' With Josh. It was started by sailors who claimed they their eyebrows had been eaten by roaches while they slept. Apparently, roaches are one of the few creatures in the world that can digest keratin.

Sounds like a way to explain last nights drunken initiation passage.

"Officer! Where are your eyebrows."

"Cockroaches sir!"

"Again with the cockroaches eh? As you were."

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast burger with fries:
I first read thet as peeing into your mouth

So did I. 3 times, in fact. First reading...second reading to confirm I'd read right. A third time when you said this...then another confirmation read and I finally read it right.

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages