snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Cockroaches eat cardboard?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cockroaches eat cardboard?
Abe Zapruder and Godzooky Too
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The rental manager came by today to drop off our rental receipt and spied inside.

She says we shouldn't keep cardboard boxes in the house because cockroaches like to eat anything organic.

Do they really eat cardboard and paste or is she just being paranoid about future pest control bills?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Do they really eat cardboard and paste or is she just being paranoid about future pest control bills?"

I'd probably say a little of both. I don't think I've ever had cockroaches, however I did have rats in the basement once (thank the elements it's detatched from the main house). I kept cardboard boxes in the main (concrete) area and they got pretty eatten up. Since then (its a semi-finished basement) I've put rat posion, out of reach (of child or dogs) in the dirt area (think half walls with dirt beyond). Now, while I still keep boxes down there and I've never had any additional troubles. It seems to me that if there's a pre-existing condition then they'll eat it but if you don't have a problem it won't cause one. The odder thing is that there is a finished room down there I use for storage that they didn't seem to go in... although I'll admit it didn't have much cardboard in it. (boy I just made my living conditions sound disgusting, they've been gone for years... really.)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tsutsuji

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They can eat cardboard; they'll actually eat just about anything. (They eat bamboo tatami floor mats, I know that) But if you don't regularly leave food out for long periods of time, you shouldn't get an infestation at all. They won't come solely to eat a box.
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They will eat cardboard but one of the reason for not keeping cradboard boxes around is they often lay egg sacs in the folds of cardboard. I found this out the hard way.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Wan Kenobi
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Wan Kenobi   E-mail Holly Wan Kenobi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an infestation of palmetto bugs in my garage once. It was so gross. Palmetto bugs differ from cockroaches in that they can fly (!!!)and they're bigger. Yoiks! Anyway, when the exterminator came, he told me it was likely from all the cardboard boxes in the garage. Apparently they like to eat the glue. I don't know if it was the cardboard, the glue, or the time of year, but after I pitched out all the boxes and traded them for big plastic tubs, I never saw another one.

Just to be safe I still won't keep cardboard laying around, and I never see them anymore. Well, except an occasional dead one, but in the deep south/lowcountry we count ourselves lucky if we see less than 10 a day.

Holly

--------------------
Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

Posts: 155 | From: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually palmetto bugs are cockroaches.

There are several types of cockroaches: American, German, and Oriental. The German are the little ones that live in houses and are almost impossible to get rid of. American cockroaches (palmetto bug) are huge, can fly, and mostly live outside. The Oriental cockroaches are also called water bugs.
For pictures see: http://www.fagerlund.addr.com/cockroaches.htm After doing a little more researching I found that two types of roaches are often called palmetto: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN001
quote:
The Brown cockroach, Periplaneta brunnea. This cockroach is almost identical to the American cockroach in appearance and is about 1-1/4" long as an adult. It is reddish-brown. The cerci at the tip of the abdomen are stubby, whereas the American cockroach has long, thin cerci. The brown cockroach is found outdoors. It readily enters houses and is often called a palmetto bug.

Florida woods cockroach, Eurycotis floridana It is 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" long as an adult and is often called the stinking cockroach because it produces a foul-smelling fluid to protect it from predation. It is dark-reddish-brown to black. The nymphs have broad yellow bands on the top of the thorax. This cockroach is commonly found in leaf mulch, wood piles and under rotting logs. It is often called a palmetto bug.

It also said that the Oriental cockroach (Blatta orientalis) is not commonly found in South Carolina. It is about 1" long as an adult. It is shiny black and has no distinctive markings. The male has wings that cover only about three-fourths of the abdomen; the female has only wing pads or lobes. It is usually found in damp basements, sewers and crawl spaces beneath houses.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Abe Zapruder and Godzooky Too

Cockroaches are the only insect I am squeamish around.

My mom says that when we were living in South Carolina, I was locked in a bathroom at age 3 with a palmetto bug flying around. It totally freaked me out.

Out goes the boxes I guess. Thanks, Snopesters.

Abe "I nearly fainted at age nine watching Creepshow" Zapruder

Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read stories of cocckroaches eating the rubber insulation off electrical wires. They aren't real particular.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Be Be

quote:
Originally posted by Abe Zapruder and Godzooky Too:
is she just being paranoid about future pest control bills?

Be Be

Bear with me, I'm a newbie.
quote:
Originally posted by Abe Zapruder and Godzooky Too:
is she just being paranoid about future pest control bills?

As a landlord she is wise to prevent now versus eradicate later. Those things are nearly impossible to get rid of, especially in climates that do not freeze. I can't stand them, I woke up one morning to one crawling on the ceiling directly over head. EEW.
diamondgirl1122

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I HATE BUGS YUCK ! THEY FREAK ME OUT ! [Eek!] We've never had cockroaches but at a museum they had thoese hissing cockroaches and I asked her if roaches can go for a week w/ there heads cut off ? and she said they can because they have another brain somewhere in there body they die of starvation not cause someone beheaded them .
ewwwww !

Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cockroaches do indeed eat cardboard if they know there is food as their reward. When I was still married and living in Santa Barbara, we dealt with cockroaches on a constant basis. Not be cause we were messy but because the neighbor 2 apartments down had left a huge mess, basically living in filth and squalor, which let the roachies thrive. We had to leave the complex for two days so they could fumigate and get rid of them.

Of course, they didn't and we had welcome guests when we moved back to San Jose. I haven't seen a cockroach since, but I did see lots of palmetto bugs last summer hanging around our front porch. We just sprayed some bug spray and they left us alone.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of on topic: I always heard that despite finding cockroaches in filth infested areas, they are one of the cleanest insects on earth, bathing themselves constantly.

ETA: Wow here are some cah-razy facts about various breeds of roaches [Smile]

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages