snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Killer Whale eats Ice Fisherman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Killer Whale eats Ice Fisherman
Rumor Monger
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently received a video clip of an ice fisherman being eaten by a Killer Whale! I am certain that it is not the genuine article. I would like to know, however, who conjured this one up. Where was it originated. When made etc.
I probably can't attach the video clip to this message but should be able to attach it to an e-mail message (or other media) for SNOPES folks and for others in this forum to check and comment on.

Thanks!

Rumor Monger

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eaglesight

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's how you can show something of it to the members here:

Set up a geocities or freeservers website.

While watching the clip, pause somewhere where you would like to capture a still shot. Press alt+Prt Scrn. Open MS Paint. Select the Edit menu and hit Paste. Save the pic. Capture several still shots.

Upload them to the free site and make a page with the pics in chronilogical order. Then link to it under this thread.

If you care enough about it to do all that effort, anyway.

GameSix

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...Reminds of the story of the beached whale that had a stomachache, and when the beach patrol units pumped its stomach, they found a large amount of seamen in it.

[fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish]

-Game "you're gonna need a bigger trout" Six

theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 601 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wasn't this "video" a commercial for either smirnoff ice or smothing similar? I recall an ice fisherman checking a line , tugging on it a bit, then a huge orca smashing through the ice and swallowing the guy. it was definitely a commercial.

thelone "kinda like the kung fu grizzly bear vs.the salmon fisherman commercial" abalone

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, there are no documented cases of a killer whale killing a human. There is a movement to stop calling them 'Killer whale' and use the name 'Orca' instead.

Many of them do make a habit of eating other cetaceans (whales and dolphins). It's interesting to know that one of the most intelligent creatures on earth (other than humans) eats its evolutionary cousins.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't some humans eat monkeys? And chimps have been known to eat monkeys as well.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes and yes. The closest kinship of those scenarios would be humans eating chimpanzees.

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While there are no documented cases of Orca killing humans, it does not mean they couldn't (and who would know if the person was alone?).

As to the OP, I doubt the footage is true.

However, Orca are known to locate and attack seals by breaking through the ice under them. There is an incident, the documentation of which I would have to relocate, of a researcher who noted an Orca following the researcher's shadow as he moved across the ice pack. The researcher stopped and was amazed when the Orca broke through the ice farther along his projected path.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Butterpaul Turkey

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.cnn.com/US/9907/06/killer.whale/

http://www.theonion.com/onion3630/dolphins_evolve_thumbs.html

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A park employee spotted the man's naked body early Tuesday draped over the back of Tillikum, the largest killer whale in captivity. The man's bathing suit was found in the pool.

This made me think of that delphinic sex link under NFBSK (bold added by me).

LittleDuck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So captive Orcas have (or may have) killed people. OK, so we have to say that no wild Orcas have been documented to have killed anyone.

Interestingly, divers report no aggressive behavior from Orcas. They are mildly curious but never try to attack or eat people.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages