snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Baboon eats baby in front of mom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baboon eats baby in front of mom
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A young mother this week watched helplessly as a baboon snatched and ripped open the skull of her only child and ate his brain.

http://www.news24.com/City_Press/City_Press_News/0,,186-187_1370662,00.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reprise
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder which nasty pathogen will now spread from humans to baboons as a result of this practise...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this shocking indeed, as I wasn't aware that baboons feasted on human brains, EVER.

I also find it surprising that the people seem to think witchcraft is involved, but considering the region, I probably shouldn't be.

Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tracy70

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the date on this article 7/6/03?? [Confused]
Edited to add: Okay, I figured it out...I'm going on no sleep!!

Martha Washington

quote:
Why is the date on this article 7/6/03??
Edited to add: Okay, I figured it out...I'm going on no sleep!!

Well I don't know why. Can you tell me please? [Confused]
Husker Grinch

Probably because they list the date format as DD/MM/YY in the part of the world where the article was written.
Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the DD/MM/YYYY format is better than MM/DD/YYYY anyway. I mean, it just makes more sense to have it in some sort of order like that. I mean, shortest time frame to longest time frame makes far more sense than the random order the format we use is in.
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's horrible of me to think this, but my first thought was, this baboon saw Temple of Doom and this is his idea of revenge.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mooommmeee
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mooommmeee   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mooommmeee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper by the pool:
I know it's horrible of me to think this, but my first thought was, this baboon saw Temple of Doom and this is his idea of revenge.

Reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Ned gets trapped in "Baboon County, USA" and Rev. Lovejoy has to rescue him.

I'll do it for you. [fish]

--------------------
I mostly dine on the idea of health that is absorbed into my body through the consciousness of the universe. Or Fat Burger if I'm in a hurry. ~The Ninja

My Blog

Posts: 1182 | From: WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remington

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, this is actually true? Ugh...just thinking about that makes me sick! I hope they catch that baboon soon...and others like it. It would be horrible for that to happen again.
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This actually isn't unheard of...I know Jane Goodall reported in National Geographic in the late 70's that she had witnessed a chimpanzee repeatedly kidnapping and eating the babies of other chimps in the troup. It's atypical, but not unheard of...

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know Jane Goodall reported in National Geographic in the late 70's that she had witnessed a chimpanzee repeatedly kidnapping and eating the babies of other chimps in the troup. It's atypical, but not unheard of...
Since that time there have been miles of footage shot of groups of chimps hunting, catching and eating smaller monkeys (vervets I think). Chimps are not vegetarians - they will eat meat when they get the chance. The hunting appears to be a males only activity. Sometimes baby chimps get eaten when one chimp troupe is attacked by a rival troupe.

Llewtrah

Baboons are just damn aggressive, we had some near our base in Malaysia. Sometimes the only way to get past them was to take fruit and throw it as a decoy (which encoraged them, but was necessary in order to get to work). Every so often, staff had to shoot the most aggressive ones.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Baboons are just damn aggressive, we had some near our base in Malaysia. Sometimes the only way to get past them was to take fruit and throw it as a decoy (which encoraged them, but was necessary in order to get to work). Every so often, staff had to shoot the most aggressive ones. [/QB]

Wild monkeys in Malaysia would not have been baboons. They were macaques.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sometimes the only way to get past them was to take fruit and throw it as a decoy (which encouraged them, but was necessary in order to get to work). Every so often, staff had to shoot the most aggressive ones.
Indeed Llewtrah, Baboons are aggressive when hungry or threatened, which can often mean most of the time - My Father told tales of the Baboons he encountered in Africa whilst serving with Desert Rescue - they are (savannah Baboons) cooperative hunters and eager consumers of other animals – most attacks on humans my Father witnessed were aggressive avoidance, but if wounded or trapped they could inflict mortal wounds on a large adult without too much effort required. They were shot by troops if causing a problem, and eaten too, as Baboon flesh is, according to my sources, a delicious alternative to ration packs!

Barns and no bull

We encountered Baboons, Olive Baboons I think, in the boonies of Malaysia - they were wild, and although seemed timid, they were definately NOT macaques...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Barns and no bull

We encountered Baboons, Olive Baboons I think, in the boonies of Malaysia - they were wild, and although seemed timid, they were definately NOT macaques...

Sorry Jay Tea, you saw macaques. Baboons are only found in Africa and Arabia.

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, i'm no monkey expert Barns', so i'm happy to take your word for it, although I saw a hell of a lot of Macaques in India and what I saw in Malaysia did not resemble them in any way, but like I said, David Attenborough I ain't! [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Well, i'm no monkey expert Barns', so i'm happy to take your word for it, although I saw a hell of a lot of Macaques in India and what I saw in Malaysia did not resemble them in any way, but like I said, David Attenborough I ain't! [Wink]

Jay,

Macaques have varied appearances. The ones you saw in India probably were Rhesus macaques. Macaques can be somewhat slender with long tails, or they can be very stocky with stubby tails, or anywhere in between. With 2.5 inch canines, large males can be very dangerous!

--------------------

Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reprise:
I wonder which nasty pathogen will now spread from humans to baboons as a result of this practise...

Well, as long as this disease doesn't cross from baboons to humans, it's all okay with me. [Eek!]
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the article:
quote:
She said Neo was her only child and she hoped he would live because her other children died of natural causes before they reached one year.

She said after the funeral they would contact a sangoma to check if the incident was not witchcraft related.

It's good to see she has her priorities straight.

John Craven

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Always be suspicious of bizarre stories from third-world newspapers.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages