snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Cats descended from rodents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats descended from rodents?
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I'm talking crazy to my wife, like I usually do, and I said "hey, you know what would've been cool? If we were descended from cats instead of monkeys." She then proceded to tell me that cats were originally descended from rodents. That sounds completely insane to me, but this sort of thing isn't exactly my area of expertise.

So what's the deal?

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to break it to you, but your wife is wrong.

Although both cats, rodents and primates do share a common ancestry back to the early placental mammals, the lineage splits in the late cretaceous, with the cats (Laurasiatheres) forming a distinct group from the rodents and primates.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J [ekyll]:
Sorry to break it to you, but your wife is wrong.

Although both cats, rodents and primates do share a common ancestry back to the early placental mammals, the lineage splits in the late cretaceous, with the cats (Laurasiatheres) forming a distinct group from the rodents and primates.

Actually, that makes me happy. [Smile] Thanks for the info!

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that cats are descended from the early rulers of this planet. At least that's how mine behave.

Sighs, moves over because cat wants chair, point proved.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nofret
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
I think that cats are descended from the early rulers of this planet. At least that's how mine behave.

Sighs, moves over because cat wants chair, point proved.

I don't think that merely being descended from early rulers would do it for a cat.

My personal theory is that all cats share a racial memory of being worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. Obviously, if you are a descendent of omnipotent and omniscient gods--and would be worshipped as a god yourself, if circumstances were just--you're going to have different expectations of the world than...say...a dog.

Nofret

P.S. http://www.temos.net/CATS/egypt%20and%20bast.htm has some interesting details about cats in Egypt and Greece.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bblady

Reminds me of my favorite cat/dog joke.

A dog looks at his owner and thinks: "Gee, she feeds me, shelters me, and cares for my every need. She must be God!"

A cat looks at his owner and thinks: "Gee, she feeds me, shelters me, and cares for my every need. I must be God!"

Animal or god?

Don't dismiss this idea too quickly! While they weren't true rodents, all mammals apparently descend from small rat/mouse like creatures which emerged towards the end of the dinosaur era... in fact some people think they may have finished off the dinosaurs by eating their eggs at night, when the dinosaurs tended to be inactive because they were reptiles.
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Animal or god?:
While they weren't true rodents, all mammals apparently descend from small rat/mouse like creatures which emerged towards the end of the dinosaur era... in fact some people think they may have finished off the dinosaurs by eating their eggs at night, when the dinosaurs tended to be inactive because they were reptiles.

Those are the early placental mammals that Doc J refers to. I haven't heard the theory on them finishing off the dinosaurs by eating the eggs before, do you have a source for that? (I'm a frustrated paleontologist at heart, so I'm always interesting in the different theories.)

Noemi "lives in Big Al's neighborhood"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB]Don't dismiss this idea too quickly! While they weren't true rodents, all mammals apparently descend from small rat/mouse like creatures which emerged towards the end of the dinosaur era...QB]

I think "rat-like" refers to size and shape, but not the overall characteristics of the order Rodentia. Cat teeth are nothing like rodent teeth, which are one of the main defining characteristics rodents. Skull shapes are different too. To say "cats evolved from rats" simply because the first fluffy critters were "rat-like" is just bad taxonomy.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nofret:
My personal theory is that all cats share a racial memory of being worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. Obviously, if you are a descendent of omnipotent and omniscient gods--and would be worshipped as a god yourself, if circumstances were just--you're going to have different expectations of the world than...say...a dog.

As my favorite T-shirt says: "The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

-Tabby
the ex-goddess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 505 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Tabby, clawed princess of Hell:
As my favorite T-shirt says: "The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

I was just saying to my hubby this morning that I need that shirt. My siamese certainly believes it. That and that the world revolves around her!

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At a time, the big cats ruled the world and ate the apes as snacks. I think that they think they own us because maybe, just maybe, they only ALLOWED us to become bipedal and gain intelligence, only so they could use us as tools. Think about it, we could NEVER hope to outrun the cats once we stood upright. They must have just let us be for their own amusement or future use. Now, they order us about as if to say "hey, we let you live and we could take that back whenever we want, don't make me call cousin tiger!". I bet those tigers are just FAKING being endangered...
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Batwinged Sparverius

Icon 216 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't dismiss this idea too quickly! While they weren't true rodents, all mammals apparently descend from small rat/mouse like creatures which emerged towards the end of the dinosaur era... in fact some people think they may have finished off the dinosaurs by eating their eggs at night, when the dinosaurs tended to be inactive because they were reptiles.

Actually, this theory is considered outdated in paleontological circles. There's no evidence that mammals had anything to do with the extinction of the dinosaurs - rather, it's now considered most likely that the dinos kept the mammals confined to the most tiny ecological niches, and mammals had to wait until the dinos were gone to start expanding.
Alexina, strange and unusual

quote:
... in fact some people think they may have finished off the dinosaurs by eating their eggs at night, when the dinosaurs tended to be inactive because they were reptiles.

But dinosaurs were probably warm blooded! They may be classified as reptiles, but they likely were not "reptilian" at all. According to current thought, they were more like mammals than reptiles.

If they were inactive at night, it was prolly just cause they were sleepy after a long day's work.

- Alex "I share my house with three 'dinosaurs.' They have feathers and they're really cute!" ina [Wink]

Isaac
Happy Holly Days

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Isaac         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If cats evolved from rats, then why are there still rats?

Just kidding. Seriously though, didn't all mammals evolve from rodents?

--------------------
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.

Posts: 1600 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages