snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » gerbils & mice - breeding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gerbils & mice - breeding?
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 101 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe I have to ask this.... [Embarrassed] (me blushing)

A friend of mine just called me up all hysterical because she has been having mice trouble in her apartment. Her chief concern is her pet gerbils - that the mice will get into their cage and mate with them (a foaf of hers told her this was a concern). At first, this sounded ludicrous to me - but then I realized I don't know nothin bout no rodents, so thought I'd put it to the experts. Aren't they two different species? Or am I wrong about that?

Ali "gerbling - heh heh" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Binro the Heretic
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose there's probably some chance they could produce a hybrid. A mule is a hybrid produced by mating horses and donkeys. They recently had a dolphin & pilot whale mate at some sea park and produced a ''wholphin.''

She should probably be more worried about the wild mice attacking and injuring the gerbils or infecting them with disease.

I'm pretty sure the gerbils wouldn't tolerate an intruder. My friend once tried to keep a white mouse in the same cage as his gerbil. The gerbil killed the mouse and stuffed the body in the water dish.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,
I haven't been able to find anything which mentioned it, I'm pretty sure that it's impossible from them to breed. Yes, they are completely different species. Heck, Dwarf and Syrian hamsters can't even interbreed, and they're both hamsters!
If I were her, I would be more worried that they would *attack* the gerbils or pass on some illness. If they are in gerbil-proof cages, the mice should not be able to get in unless the cages are wire (mice can slip through the wire bars on many cages- believe me, I've owned some!)

That reminds me of when I had Syrian hamsters living with two male mice (a very stupid thing to do- I didn't know better at the time and was lucky nothing bad happened- Syrian hamsters aren't even supposed to live with other Syrians)- the mice tried to mate with the hamsters!

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse

Gerbils are much bigger than mice. They are also bigger than hamsters, but some larger hamsters would me more appropriate size, certainly more so than furry little marshmallows like mice. The gerbils would probably kill the mice.
aelzemos, summer fling

quote:
Originally posted by Binro the Heretic:

I'm pretty sure the gerbils wouldn't tolerate an intruder. My friend once tried to keep a white mouse in the same cage as his gerbil. The gerbil killed the mouse and stuffed the body in the water dish.

I *so* shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am at that. I just got an image of a little mafia gerbil trying to hide the body.

Amanda "You talkin' to me, mousie?" S.

hazy hot and humid rossdawg

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you think that is a frightening scene we had a parakeet for years and my parents thought it would be a cool idea to get him a buddy to pal around with. They would fight with each other once in a while and I guess the older bird made terroristic threats because sometimes the younger bird would spend hours shaking in the corner staring at the older bird in fear, while the older bird happily swung on their swing or played with the colorful rings in the cage chirping happily.
Flashforward to Thanksgiving day of that year, we all go out to get last minute cranberry sauce and such and we come home and my dad tells my mom and sister to stay outside. When I walked in from the garage, there are blue feathers all over the counter and the older bird, chirping happily, is sitting on the dead body of his younger buddy and he has blood on the end of his beak. It freaked me out for years.

just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 504 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what would you call it? Moubil? Gerouse? Gere-son?

Li "pass me a grapple and an apefruit, please" sa

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages