snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Coke kills rats?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coke kills rats?
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see this one on Cokelore and somebody on another message board just passed it along:
quote:
Actually, beer and Coke are equally effective for the same reason: Rats are physically incapapble of belching, so when they ingest carbonation, it eventually makes them explode.
Ever heard these before?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm . . . while it is true that rats are incapable of vomiting, I have never heard that the can't burp. And, even if they can't burp, I severely doubt that there would be enough gas in their stomachs to cause them to explode. Tummy aches ? Probably, but nothing more.

Seagulls and aspirin anyone ?

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with the good doctor. Although you will find lots of variations on this lore, there isn't any proof. In fact, I found numerous incidences where laboratory rats were fed something carbonated and did not die of repressed belches. For instance, in this study, "Cola beverage consumption induces bone mineralization reduction in ovariectomized rats," 20 rats drank cola for 2 months. IN thi sstudy "Acute effects of soft drink intake on calcium and phosphate metabolism in immature and adult rats," rats were allowed all the cola they wanted for 7 days. The anti-aspartame folks also cite references where rats were fed carbonated beverages. Wait! That's it! Rats die from aspartame, not carbonation.

As to vomiting

Laboratory Animal Medicine, Editors James G. Fox, Bennett J. Cohen, and Franklin M. Loew.

quote:
“The stomach of the rat is divided into two parts; the forestomach (nonglandular) and the corpus (glandular). The two portions are separated by a limiting ridge. The esophagus enters at the lesser curvatrue of the stomach through a fold of the limiting ridge. This fold is responsible for the inability of the rat to vomit.”
CArbonation is a gas & wouldn't be affected by such aabarrier

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 04 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this as well as variants of this tale--pigeons will die if you feed them rice, mice will explode if you feed them instant mashed potatoes. A roommate of mine heard that cucumbers were deadly poison to roaches so he left cucumber slices all over the house one night, hoping to get rid of our roach plague. Of course it didn't work; if it was that easy to get rid of roaches they'd be extinct by now.
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boogers:
A roommate of mine heard that cucumbers were deadly poison to roaches so he left cucumber slices all over the house one night, hoping to get rid of our roach plague.

From what I'd read, it's that there's something in cucumber *peel* which repels roaches. For what that's worth.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Oz
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rats would also have to be incapable for farting if they were to explode from coke. I'm assuming their delicate sensibilities don't prevent this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Bebop
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know Mountain Dew can kill some Frogs....but Coke Killing Rats?? Okay....

"dilute battery acid guaranteed to remove any and all internal parasites and other organisms masquerading as a cola –"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages