snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » cow tipping--fact or fiction? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: cow tipping--fact or fiction?
darth_borehd
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although popularly seen in movies, TV, and jokes about rural activities, do people really engage in cow tipping?

Cows weigh several hundred pounds and I find it hard to believe that they can be so easily tipped over.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brionninn

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by darth_borehd:
Although popularly seen in movies, TV, and jokes about rural activities, do people really engage in cow tipping?

Cows weigh several hundred pounds and I find it hard to believe that they can be so easily tipped over.

[Dumb] Yes, when I was...er... I mean, when people I knew were younger and dumber. Word of caution. NEVER TRY IT WITH A BULL! Cows fell. For some unknown reason, Bulls didn't.

And :ahem: it was a group thing. You didn't try this alone.

Papa Bear

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It works with very large pigs too. If you can catch one standing...
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I believe that if you have been given good service you should absolutely tip your cow.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 201 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cecil's take on the issue

buf 'sounds like we should include it in SLC initiations' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
june_miller, sand in my shorts

Icon 202 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have tipped cows, shined gators, and played mailbox baseball as a bored, stupid rural youth. Yes, I realize destroying mailboxes is a federal crime. I haven't done it in about 15 years, so please spare me the lectures!
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by june_miller, sand in my shorts:
I have tipped cows, **shined gators**, and played mailbox baseball as a bored, stupid rural youth. Yes, I realize destroying mailboxes is a federal crime. I haven't done it in about 15 years, so please spare me the lectures!

Ok I'll bite what is gator shining?
[Big Grin]
And yes I've tipped cows but only at night [Laughing out loud]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 216 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it's this incredibly stupid and dangerous game where you randomly shine flashlights into bushes or anywhere you think gators might be just to see their eyes light up red. It's really funny when you're 12 years old and tipsy on Jack Daniel's and Coke foam.
abby 68

Icon 301 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HOLY NFBSK [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

The closest I want to be to a gator is about 50 yards or so...

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira, redhot fiery fury

quote:
Yes, I realize destroying mailboxes is a federal crime. I haven't done it in about 15 years, so please spare me the lectures!
http://www.satirewire.com/news/may02/mailbox.shtml

[Wink] "Times sure are a changin...in MY day, it was *safe* to smash mailboxes!"

quote:
The pipe bombs, allegedly placed in mailboxes by 21-year-old Luke J. Helder of Pine Island, Minn., were set to go off if they were moved. As a result, six people were injured, residents across the Midwest were warned not to touch closed mailboxes, and thousands of drunken current and former high school football players who couldn't get laid had nothing else to do.
Thanks, megaira! [Laughing out loud]
Goes-hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by june_miller, sand in my shorts:
I have... ...played mailbox baseball as a bored, stupid rural youth. Yes, I realize destroying mailboxes is a federal crime. I haven't done it in about 15 years, so please spare me the lectures!

No lectures here, even though it really hangs my munchkin. I have neighbor that tired of his mailbox getting smashed, purchased a large metal mailbox and a metal small mailbox. He put the small mailbox inside the large one and poured the area between them full of concrete. Then he mounted the whole thing on a 6" pipe, also full of concrete. If you smacked his mailbox thinking it would crush it, you were in for a big surprise. If you used an aluminum bat, it would ring your chime. If the bat were wooden, broken bat and your chimes rang.

Goes-"it's a home rung"-hmmm

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 209 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fivealarmchilidog:
HOLY NFBSK [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

The closest I want to be to a gator is about 50 yards or so...

This is the point where I normally haul out the story of when I was a Cub Scout swimming in the lake at Falling Waters State Park, and my dad pointed out that the log in the water about 40 feet away had eyes ...

He wasn't particularly big (5 feet long total), and was probably full from all the marshmallows people would feed him.

This was in the Florida panhandle - I'm sure the Cajuns on the board have stories that put this to shame.

buf 'not a single Aussie croc story, though' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Goes-hmmm:
If you smacked his mailbox thinking it would crush it, you were in for a big surprise. If you used an aluminum bat, it would ring your chime. If the bat were wooden, broken bat and your chimes rang.

Yes yes, it's all part of the fun and excitement. And bufungla I am a Cajun, why else would I be stumbling around in the middle of the night looking for gators? [Laughing out loud]
bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 103 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to cows, my grew-up-on-a-dairy-farm wife never ceases to chide me about the fact that somewhere along the way in my suburban upbringing I got the idea that cows lie down when it's going to rain.

Anyone else ever hear that?

-b

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dasgupta

quote:
Originally posted by darth_borehd:

Easy to tip, no. Do people do it, sure. Many's a night where we've cow tipped when I was going to college in upstate New York.

But we were always told the story before hand of the guys who went to tip this cow. The story went that cows that die during their sleep remain standing, right? So this particular cow had been dead for some time, ok, and the guys go to tip it, not knowing its dead, and they all went right into it.

Ewwww..

Das "cow tipping while tipsy" gupta

Llewtrah

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Going back to cows, my grew-up-on-a-dairy-farm wife never ceases to chide me about the fact that somewhere along the way in my suburban upbringing I got the idea that cows lie down when it's going to rain.

Anyone else ever hear that?

Its "common knowledge" where I came from - and that wasn't suburban either. It was reckoned they could smell the moisture in the air. Not so daft considering Saiga can smell moisture from way off. I've never carried out a statistical study to see if the cow-warning was correct. Are there any studies proving or disproving it?

My cat takes cover 30 mins before a thunderstorm begins (I think she can feel the electricity building up). The cat is so reliable I phone my parents a few miles away and warn mother to get the laundry off of the washing line!

Anyone else got weather-warning critters?

Llewtrah
(Who has never tipped a cow, but has tipped taxi-drivers, waiters and hotel staff)

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always heard that if you see cows lying down before noon, it's going to rain. Now that I think about it, why would it just be before noon? It makes sense that they would do that any time of the day. :shrug:

My SO worked on a few farms growing up and he has assured me that cow tipping is completely possible. The cows are awake (as opposed to most people thinking they're asleep) and they even see you but are too dumb, or just don't care enough to go away when they see you coming. He explained to me that the best way to do it is to kneel down by the cow, one person near the head and the other near the tail, and yank on the hoof on the other side. This throws the cow off balance and they fall.

Still not sure why people find it so amusing but at least I can say it's not just a UL.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
darth_borehd

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brionninn:
NEVER TRY IT WITH A BULL! Cows fell. For some unknown reason, Bulls didn't.

And :ahem: it was a group thing. You didn't try this alone.

What happens then? Can the cows get back up on their own? Do they remain sleeping?
Coriakin

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, you guys...once again I'm stumped. I remember the Straight Dope treatment of cow tipping (complete with the "exceptional service" joke, but thanks anyway ;-)) I grew up on a dairy farm, and I've walked out into many a dark pasture, checking on "springers" (cows that are very close to givng birth.) 100% of the time, I was greeted by standing cows that were wide awake, and sleeping cows that woke up immediately and jumped to their feet. Cows do not sleep deeply standing up (and neither do horses; REM and deeper sleep can't happen when there's that much muscle tone.) I always told my friends that cow tipping was impossible, and I figured it was one of those things like snipe hunting. Are you guys just pulling an old cow hand's leg? [Roll Eyes]

(By the way, on the subject of gator shining...deer shining was the version where I grew up, in central Georgia. It's also quite illegal...probably the redneckiest way of getting thrown in jail! [Wink]

Brionninn

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cows always got up on their own. They weren't like turtles, where if you turned them over, they were stuck.

In my defense, I did it once. [Smile] I had better things to do in the country fields than tip cows. (Tail-gate party, anyone?)

Nope, not pulling your leg. Hmm...deer shining is illegal here in Alabama too. But that doesn't keep almost every pickup from having a spotlight attached to it!

darth_borehd

http://www.skeptic.com/jr5-09.html
Chiajedi

quote:
Originally posted by Goes-hmmm:
I have neighbor that tired of his mailbox getting smashed, purchased a large metal mailbox and a metal small mailbox. He put the small mailbox inside the large one and poured the area between them full of concrete. Then he mounted the whole thing on a 6" pipe, also full of concrete. If you smacked his mailbox thinking it would crush it, you were in for a big surprise. If you used an aluminum bat, it would ring your chime. If the bat were wooden, broken bat and your chimes rang.

Perhaps they got the idea from The Avengers Handbook?
Ladonna28

My sister and I were watching "Heathers" one night. It got to the scene where the two boys were tipping cows. They were just (or so it appeared) pushing the cows over. My sister burst out "You can't tip cows over by just pushing at them! They weigh too much! You have to back up and run at 'em!". There was a moment of long silence as I just stared at her. She finally realized that she had spoken out loud and informed me that I didn't want to know.

I'm assuming that she did tip cows in her misspent high school years. So is the running at them method the way to tip them? It seems to me that it would wake them up and cause them to move or attack or something.

Ladonna

tagurit

Icon 304 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is incredible. Many people say they've tipped cows, or were eye witnesses to cow tippings. I think they may have tipped one too many.

I've never seen cows sleeping (soundly) standing up, and I've seen plenty of sleeping cows. Where do you find these standing cow sleepers, anyway? And, how big are the dang cows? You just push them over? Hogwash, says I.

tag yeah, right... urit

{edit - excellent article you linked to darth_borehd}

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm amazed how many people have such firm opinions, but very few facts...

The 'science' that says three or four people can'
t push over a cow is the same 'science' that says a bumble bee should not be able to fly (at least on face value) -- a little more looking, a little more research and suddenly it is possible.

I have tipped a large full grown cow (not my proudest moment). So for all that say nay, what exactly did I do then???

One thing I do note... and have not seen mentioned so far is that cow tipping as I learned it usually involved a cow stanging near the top of a hill, sneaking up from the backside of the hill, coming over the crest quickly and tipping them down hill -- i.e. leverage does the work plain weight won't...

Anyway - say nay if you'd like, but I can tell you how pissed they are when they get up!

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 504 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And they weren't hurt at all? You tipped over an almost ton beast without hurting it or yourself? Are there videos of cow tipping? I'd like to see one. Anyone? There are records of every other stupid thing humans have done. Where's the guy with the cow tipping video?

I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. Until then, I'll think someone has been fibbing about this event for so long, they've started believing it themselves.

tag everytime I've leaned into a cow, it leaned back... urit

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
And they weren't hurt at all? You tipped over an almost ton beast without hurting it or yourself? Are there videos of cow tipping? I'd like to see one. Anyone? There are records of every other stupid thing humans have done. Where's the guy with the cow tipping video?

No I was nto hurt, and don't believe the cow was either since it got up and ran... Don't forget that larger animals are engineered to support themselves, they dont' automatically get hurt (it could be more like, but not a foregone conclusion). no video though - sorry!

quote:
I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. Until then, I'll think someone has been fibbing about this event for so long, they've started believing it themselves.
Sorry you don't belive, but that does NOT alter my experience.

quote:
tag everytime I've leaned into a cow, it leaned back... urit
Yeah - me too, that was the part about doing it on a hill

War 'tippin on the dock of the bay' lok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 504 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got so good at cow tipping, we moved on to rhinos and elephants. After all, the bigger they are, the harder they fall, right?

Support themselves, warlok? Yes, but cows don't usually tip over. I've never seen a cow fall. I can tell you that when horses fall, everyone gasps, and there's usually some damage to the horse.

Yours is the first cow tipping story I've seen involving a hill. Maybe you really tipped a cow down a hill, and maybe you didn't. And, if you did, shame on you. But every other story I've seen involved cows sleeping, standing up, in a field.

Sounds to me like stories made up by kids that live in the country, but not on farms. It's never their own cows they tipped. They always went off to some field with these anonymous cows, owned by anonymous farmers.

IF you are tipping cows, it's nothing to be proud of. But, like I said, I'll remain skeptical til I see the video.

tag we would've tipped the cow more, but it was so slow... urit

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Goes-hmmm

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, tag. I remain skeptical. Like Coriakin, I've been out at night among the cows and have never seen a standing one sound asleep or sleeping ones on the ground that would let you approach very close without getting right up. They are pretty darn wary, instinct I guess.

My eldest daughter professes to have gone cow-tipping, but for the past six or seven years I've not been able to believe much of anything that came out of her mouth. I always attributed the cow-tipping thing as being along the same lines as snipe hunting or watching submarine races, an excuse to go out in the country at night.

I've got to say it would probably be pretty funny to see a bunch of drunk teenagers out chasing drowsy cattle around trying to get one of them to stand still in order to be tipped over.

Challenge for those who say it's possible: get a digital video camera, they will record at very low light levels, and film you and your friends doing exactly what you say you have done. I, and I'm sure, tagurit will concede at that point. In fact such a video would be very sellable to some news magazine show, so just show us some short clips and sell it.

Goes-hmmm

B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a country girl and I've been around cattle and horses all my life. I just don't buy "cow-tipping." I guess it is the semantecs of the words. Cow-tipping to me would mean sneaking up on a sleeping cow (who is standing) catching them off guard and with a swift push, boom they fall over. This just does not happen. For one thing the cattle I have been around do not sleep standing up.

What I am hearing is drunk teens using brute-force to knock a cow over (which can be done). This is more like Volkswagen-tipping. Enough guys could turn over a Volkswagen and enough guys could wrestle* a cow to the ground. To me that is not a true definition of cow-tipping.

Bev "see definition for *bulldogging" Hamilton

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu

Icon 97 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, we've been here before. When you're tipping cows, start at 15% but give at least 20% if the service is good.

Bob "now, about that orking..." K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Coriakin

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B Hamilton:
I'm a country girl and I've been around cattle and horses all my life. I just don't buy "cow-tipping." I guess it is the semantecs of the words.

What I am hearing is drunk teens using brute-force to knock a cow over (which can be done). This is more like Volkswagen-tipping. Enough guys could turn over a Volkswagen and enough guys could wrestle* a cow to the ground. To me that is not a true definition of cow-tipping.

Bev "see definition for *bulldogging" Hamilton

OK, now THIS is the first reasonable explanation I've heard. I remain convinced that you can't sneak up on a sleeping cow and knock it over. Pushing one over by brute force could be done, I guess, especially with a vehicle. I wouldn't exactly call it a harmless pastime in any event. The cow could definitely be injured, which means you're not only hurting animals for fun, but screwing with someone's livelihood. Way to go, dude. (Just in case any of the aforementioned drunk teenagers are still with us!)
Ogredude

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way my mom (who grew up on ranches) described it, you'd jump on your roping horse (wearing gloves) gallop up behind the cow at full speed, grab its tail, and yank, and the cow would go flying (or falling over, at least).

Took its toll on your shoulder, she says.

Andrew of Oz

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that cow tackling would be a more appropriate term. I'm sure if you line up enough people at the top of a hill, in a kind of braveheart mood, and run screaming at one suprised cow you can push it over. But don't ask me, it's all sheep around here and that a whole lot of stories the country lads never tell.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages