snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Critters Archive » Cats get sick eating moles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats get sick eating moles?
tomc
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have heard that if a cat eats a mole (We've got plenty and Sid is a
hunter) it will make him very sick. To your knowledge is this true of is
this a "wives tale?"
Anyone know about this?

Tom "mole, mole, mole your boat" Carten

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the mole was killed by poison, I'd think it very possible, and this might be the most likely sort of mole for the cat to find. Are live moles easy for a cat to catch? I've never heard that they have poison glands like toads.

Chava

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom, I can only find a couple of references to some relatively obscure diseases that could theoretically be transmitted from moles to cats. One is leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that is more common in dogs than cats. The occasional mole gets it and a cat eating the mole could become infected. The other is babesiosis, a relative of malaria. It is spread by ticks and the human form has been traced to ticks on moles. However, I can't find any evidence of transmission from moles to cats.

Yes, a cat that caught a mole might get a mouthful of a mole killer. The only one registered in the US is zinc phosphide. It's actually not very effective against moles (can be quite effective on other species & is not something you'd want ot swallow yourself.). It has to be eaten which means you have to find a bait that the mole will eat--so far success has been limited. I can't find any citations about cats being poisoned by eating moles, however. Castor oil is sold as a mole repelant--I found brand names that include Mole-Otov Cocktail and Mole Evacuator among other things. Presumably a cat that got a mouthful of this would respond in the evacuation mode.

The only other reference I can give you comes from Frank Muir's An Irreverent and Thoroughly Incomplete Social History of Almost Everything. I'm doing this from memory so I don't have the name of the person, but there was a 19th Century eccentric who wanted to eat one of everything. He had a deal with the London Zoo when some rare animal died. Anyway, he said a mole was the worst thing he ever tasted. So maybe your cats will only hunt & not feast.
[edit to add correct quote]
Austus J. C. Hare The Story of My Life, 4 June 1882

quote:
Dr. Buckland used to say that he had eaten his way striaght through the whole animla creation and that the worst thing was a mole--that was utterly horrible...

Kathy "upwardly mole-bull" B.

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 10-04-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
10-4

I heard something like this many years ago, that a cat can get sick from eating a mouse that had been treated with mouse poison. Don't know how true it is.

Thanks.

Bill

Posts: | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martiansatemybrain

Kind of off the subject but ill throw it up and see what happens.

Some years ago a Major cat food manufacturer came up with the idea for a new flavor for cat food. Mouse flavor -- needless to say they obtained mice prepared them as the cat food meat and began testing it with one problem-- the cats never ever ate it. The cats would refuse to eat it even if it was the only option.

so i dont think your cat would eat a mole it just has its wild primative side that need the hunt and enjoys it

martiansatemybrain-- but not my mouse

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have cats the way other people have mice.

Our cats have killed plenty of moles over the years, but haven't suffered. In fact, they almost never eat the moles; they usually leave them on our doorstep as presents. Now, once a cat ate Macheath's pet gerbil....

Brad "yes, I stole it from James Thurber" from Georgia

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
martiansatemybrain

Our cats have killed plenty of moles over the years, but haven't suffered. In fact, they almost never eat the moles; they usually leave them on our doorstep as presents

LOL cats only bring you gifts if they like you It was a kitty compliment

Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child our cats lived on mice, moles, birds and voles with no ill effect. But the little bundle of indigestible bits (skin etc.) that the cat brings up after a meal is pretty gross when dinner was mole.

Kate "I wish I hadn't remembered that" S

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martiansatemybrain:

LOL cats only bring you gifts if they like you It was a kitty compliment

Yes, well, we could have done without the compliment the night Fat Cat brought a live snake in and dropped it into our bed.

Brad "boy, your feet are cold" from Georgia

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aart

My mother had a cat that would wait all day until she saw the mole move and than cought it, but I don´t remember if she ate it.
What I have heard is that a cat that only eats insektivores like moles or frogs cannot get enough calories and vitamines out of it and eventually will end up sick.
Maybe a cat not only needs the flesh of it´s pray, but also what´s in it´s stomach to get enough vitamins.
So if the cat only once in a while eats a mole, than there should not be a problem.

tomc

Thanks, folks. I have sent the URL of this page to my cousin who has the sick kitty.

Tom "here pussy, pussy" Carten

JK Will

My cat used to catch moles but would leave them uneaten. She preferred rabbits and mice.
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JK Will:
My cat used to catch moles but would leave them uneaten. She preferred rabbits and mice.

My cats catch and eat almost everything, but they do not eat the moles; at least I find whole moles, but never whole anything else.
They dragged that squirrel tail into the house three times before I buried it.

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dcmoore

quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
They dragged that squirrel tail into the house three times before I buried it.

I found the full length of a squirrel tail in my yard this week. No carcass ... just the tail.

I don't own any cats, but there are plenty in the neighborhood. Hope the squirrel got away, I'll be keeping an eye out for a short squirrel.

Dave "Squirrel tails don't grow back, do they?" Moore

Aart

When my mothers cat had kittens, she used to catch rats and let them go into the house to train the kittens hunting.
That was not so bad, but the dog also tried to catch the rats, not paying attention at what was in the way.
Well, I think you can picture it.

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martiansatemybrain:
so i dont think your cat would eat a mole it just has its wild primative side that need the hunt and enjoys it

Well, having seen several half-eaten mice around a neighbor's house and having seen one of her cats eating one (ugh), I know at least some cats *will* eat the mice they catch. It was a well-fed (and fat :P) cat, too...

Xia

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages