snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » Reverse rewinds the odometer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reverse rewinds the odometer?
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

http://www.lidrock.com/odometer1.htm

-

You can also see that mechanical odometers like this one are rewindable. When you run the car in reverse, the odometer actually can go backwards ... In real life, the odometer would've turned back.

Can this actually be done in the past? Putting your car up on cylinder blocks, rigging the car to reverse, and walking away and returning with the odometer running backwards?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't work on vintage Ferraris....

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
God Bless you Jay Tea. That was my FIRST thought!! [lol]

Nope, it doesn't work. My mother tried it and just wasted a half a tank of gas with no results. But then it was back in '72 or so...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't that the subject of a commercial for CarFax, or some sort of vehicle researching company?

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When your car is in reverse, your whole engine doesn't run backward, wouldn't the odo be attached to a part that always runs the same way?

ETA: Guess not!
quote:
You can also see that mechanical odometers like this one are rewindable. When you run the car in reverse, the odometer actually can go backwards -- it's just a gear train. In the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," in the scene where they have the car up on blocks with the wheels spinning in reverse -- that should've worked! In real life, the odometer would've turned back. Another trick is to hook the odometer's cable up to a drill and run it backwards to rewind the miles.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
When your car is in reverse, your whole engine doesn't run backward, wouldn't the odo be attached to a part that always runs the same way?

The odometer has to be hooked up to the output of the transmission, otherwise it would turn at different speeds depending on which gear you were in (or worse, turn when the transmission was in neutral).

However, AFAIK, most odometers made after the '70s (in the US, at least) have a one-way connection. This keeps the odometer from spinning backwards in reverse, and also keeps the speedometer from damaging itself against the stop. The input from the transmission can drive it when spinning one way (in a forward gear), but not when spinning the other way. This connection is sometimes inside the transmission, making it possible to pull the cable out and run it backwards with a drill. You can use the same method to set a replacement odometer to the correct mileage. Incidentally, falsifying the odometer reading is a felony.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And in today's age, digital odometers were born to prevent the old fashioned way hacking. Now you have to break under the hood and reprogram the computerized odometer.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it worked on a friend's mom's '79 Monte Carlo.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it done on a '54 Chevy. Thing was beat to death, so the guy tried all sorts of ULs on it. That was one of the true ones.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember in the 1980's hearing that a new invention made it difficult to tamper with an odometer. If you tried to turn it back, these bars would pop out between the numbers.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my ex bf tried turning the odometer back with a power drill. It worked, but when he drove it, every time a new mile would turn over it would make this annoying clicking sound.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadshochet:
I remember in the 1980's hearing that a new invention made it difficult to tamper with an odometer. If you tried to turn it back, these bars would pop out between the numbers.

You are correct.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can this actually be done in the past? Putting your car up on cylinder blocks, rigging the car to reverse, and walking away and returning with the odometer running backwards?
Even if it did, what would be the point? Would it really be worth all the time, expense, and additional wear & tear to run a car backwards long enough to reverse the odometer by an appreciable amount?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's fave story about when she was young is that her dad gave her exactly 40 miles to drive one night. That was 5 miles more than to the movie and back. Well, her and her friend decided to not go to the movie and drove around instead. When she hit the 40 mark she was still 20 miles from home (in the country) so she drove the rest of the way in reverse. It didn't turn the odometer back but it didn't move it forward either. I believe it was a GTO.
Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Geeto67
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geeto67   E-mail Geeto67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My 1967 GTO odometer won't record in reverse (foward or backward) but I imagine it must have taken several hours to go 20 miles backward in a GTO (reverse top speed is a, tested by me 15 mph, before the car becomes too unstable to drive, but it will hit 25 (at 6000 rpm) backward before you spin out).

MY buddys 1988 toyota 4 runner odometer will count backward if you back the car up. He bought the car used so who knows if it has been tampered with. It is the only car I have ever seen do that. I remember him telling me this was a common problem with the 4 runner when the gauge broke.

edit:

quote:
Even if it did, what would be the point? Would it really be worth all the time, expense, and additional wear & tear to run a car backwards long enough to reverse the odometer by an appreciable amount?
To a dealer this means a lot when frauduently winding back the miles. If it doesn't do this then he has to go foward (with the speedo out of the car and a power drill attached to the speedo cable) till it comes around again to the desired mileage. If it is an old speedo then it rarely survives this abuse. IF ti winds backwards then it takes less time and puts less wear on the speedo so it looks more authentic (let me put it this way are you gonna buy a 180K battered and trashed 1970 nova SS with 14K on the non working clock? - no way, but you might buy a 70K trashed 1970 nova SS with a working speedo, if you were a collector or a hot rodder, because it is more believeable). This becomes important as collector car prices rise and more and more states go to mileage exempt registration for older cars. A 1969 Camaro SS 396 with 75K original miles is worth a heck of a lot more than a 1969 Camaro SS 396 with 140K.
Posts: 163 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My odometer broke about four years ago, so it's been stuck at ~112,550 since then. I asked my dad about having it fixed, and he said it would be too expensive. It's a ten-year-old car and I've probably put several thousand more miles on it in the last four years, but nobody will ever know. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bruce in france
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce in france   E-mail bruce in france   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also true for my (may she rest in peace) '79 VW Rabbit that got rear ended one day, and got towed to the repair shop with the front wheels rotating in reverse. When I compared the odometer reading on the repair receipt to the odometer reading on the accident report, I noticed that the odometer had in fact lost 20 miles.

OT: that car (a diesel, admittedly) consistently got me 50+ MPG 25 years ago. What's so hard about doing it today?

ETA: Just to avoid any confusion, I lived in the US (Ohio) at the time.

-b

Posts: 210 | From: Orsay, France | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ilwrath
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OT: that car (a diesel, admittedly) consistently got me 50+ MPG 25 years ago. What's so hard about doing it today?
I can answer that in one word: REGULATIONS

Back then the cars ran "lean." (Fuel was the limiting reagent in the combustion.) That saves a lot of fuel, but also creates a ton of dangerous NOx emissions. What happens is that part of your combustion is actually the reacting of oxygen and nitrogen in the air.

In the mid-to-late 80's NOx emissions were severely limited. This is a good thing, as NOx emissions are not at all good to have around.

But to lower your the NOx emissions, you have to greatly increase the amount of fuel used in your combustion. (In other words, you have to use air as your limiting reagent. A "rich" burn.) That means you lose overall efficiency in order to reduce the hazardous emissions. This is a good trade-off, though. I'd much rather have higher CO2 levels than higher NOx levels, that's for sure!

Also, nowadays, due to increased safety regulations, most cars are a lot heavier than your '79 golf was. Heavier vehicles are less fuel efficient.

And, of course, it's obvious, but the current trend of buying large SUVs and high horsepower engines hasn't really helped, either. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bruce in france:

VW is still doing it. My 2001 New Beetle TDI (diesel) gets 48-52 mpg on standard diesel fuel after 86,000 miles. Not to mention spitting out lower emissions than its predessors.
If I use biodiesel (made from waste vegetable oil), I only get 43-48 mpg, but my tailpipe smells like french fries!

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
It's a ten-year-old car and I've probably put several thousand more miles on it in the last four years, but nobody will ever know. [Wink]

Well, at least as long as you don't try to sell it or trade it in. You're required to disclose actual mileage or that the odometer is broken at that time. Of course, if you just drive it until it dies, then you're good to go.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
let me put it this way are you gonna buy a 180K battered and trashed 1970 nova SS with 14K on the non working clock? - no way, but you might buy a 70K trashed 1970 nova SS with a working speedo, if you were a collector or a hot rodder, because it is more believeable.
Sure, but my point is, how much is it going to cost a dealer in time and expense (somebody has to pay for all the gasoline and stay around to keep an eye on things, not to mention all the additional wear and tear this would put on the engine and other moving parts) to run a car up on blocks in reverse long enough to take 110,000 miles off the odometer?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noftessa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
It's a ten-year-old car and I've probably put several thousand more miles on it in the last four years, but nobody will ever know. [Wink]

Well, at least as long as you don't try to sell it or trade it in. You're required to disclose actual mileage or that the odometer is broken at that time. Of course, if you just drive it until it dies, then you're good to go.
I don't know about other states, but in California, you don't have to dislose actual mileage if the car is older than 10 years (I believe). At least, that is how it was in Feb. of 2004.

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages