snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » Is it legal? Driving barefoot (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is it legal? Driving barefoot
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.dailyorange.com/news/2004/09/21/Pulp/Is.It.Legal-725298.shtml
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! SO and I were just talking about this the other day - snopes, do you have a reverse microphone into my house?

I was under the impression that it wasn't legal, SO thought that it was legal, but uncomfortable. He kinda laughed at me, like, the things you worry about being legal.

I drive barefoot quite often on my drive home - no A/C in the car means the shoes are coming off. I do put them back on, however, if I need to use a gas station bathroom.

ETExplain: Only in my family do we joke that the government has installed "reverse microphones" into our house.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GranolaSuicideSpawn
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey cool. I can't believe I've thought all these years that it was illegal. [Embarrassed] [dunce]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

I have never heard of this. My highschool friend always drove barefoot (her feet were "claustrophobic"), and I tend to do it when I have heels on (hard to control the pedal with a heel on, for me anyway), or some other uncomfortable shoe.

No one has ever mentioned the possible legalities of this to me. I'd have laughed at them anyway, since I can't see any reason why it would be illegal. It's not like I'm chucking my shoes out my open window at pedestrians or anything.

ranran "people think of the weirdest things" yousei

vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother always told me it was illegal and I believed it. Of course, it didn't stop me from driving barefoot... I, like ranran, take off my heels and other uncomfortable footwear when driving, and now I won't feel like my mother is tsk tsking behind me everytime.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's exactly why I thought it was illegal vanilla_pink - my Mom said it was so.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang old wives and the tales they tell!

[lol]

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didnt know about this myth. I always drive barefoot if I'm making a quick trip through a drive thru

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The most common rumor used by wrongdoers on the road, Carlo said, is that officers cannot issue tickets or make arrests without wearing their uniform cap. That rumor also has no grain of truth behind it, Carlo said.
My dad was a Missouri State Highway Patrolman. Once the local paper snapped a photo of him with another trooper tending a car accident. When he saw it on the front page, he said, "Great, I'm gonna catch hell from the captian." I asked him why and he said because he wasn't wearing his hat in the pic.

He said that if they're out of the car, they've got their hat on. I don't think it was a "rule" written or unwritten, just sort of a standing expectation or tradition. A professionalism thing.

Of course, they could issue citations or make arrests without it; you'd occasionally see them holding it under their arms while leaning over to speak to a driver.

ETA: I guess a standing tradition could be considered an "unwritten rule," so sue me, I've used up my supply of literature for the day. [Razz]

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WizyWyg
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WizyWyg   E-mail WizyWyg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man if that were "true" law , the people in my state would be at a lost. Driving barefooot is as common as going to the store to pick up bread and milk (shoes required in the store however). With as much beach going teenagers and surfers here, slippers/shoes/flip-flps are somethings that they just leave at home. So much so, that this is a "new" UL/rumor I've heard of.

I drive barefeet if Im dressed up and have to wear heels (yuck, can't drive manual with heels on)

Posts: 160 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samuel Jones

I believe that laws vary from state to state about barefoot motorcycle riding.
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Jones:
I believe that laws vary from state to state about barefoot motorcycle riding.

[lol] You would hope, Samuel, but according to this page, Alabama was the only state that mentioned it under driving barefoot. At least as of 10 years ago.
quote:
Alabama:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted. Exception: motorcycle rider.

Also from Alabama's laws:
quote:
b) No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle unless he is wearing shoes.
The rest only mention "motor vehicles." (Does that mean motorcycles too?) Ohio says "permitted but not recommended," California says "not prohibited," and the other 47 plus DC say "permitted."

Note: I found the above link through barefooters.org.

Eve "trying to imagine stopping a motorcycle barefoot - ouch!" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I drove an Elise a couple of years ago that Lotus had loaned us for the week. My size 11 4E shoes wouldn't fit between the brake and the center reinforcement to reach the accelerator, so I had to drive it with one shoe off. Fortunately, Detroit PD didn't catch me zipping through Rouge Park. [Eek!]

Delta "Just a second, officer, let me put my shoe back on" V

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tiger_splash

quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:

No one has ever mentioned the possible legalities of this to me. I'd have laughed at them anyway, since I can't see any reason why it would be illegal. It's not like I'm chucking my shoes out my open window at pedestrians or anything.

The person who passes this rumor on to me actually provided a reason that was semi-plausible at the time. The reasoning was that if my car engine was overheating the heat could be conducted through the metal parts to the pedal. If the driver was barefoot than they wouldn't be able to control the car because it would burn them.

I was young and stupid when I heard it and really fell for it.

Wow. I think I'll kick off my shoes and go for a ride.

Filliam H. Muffman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Filliam H. Muffman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So barefooted hippies like me can drive around town without fear of retribution from the man? Sweet! That makes getting off work and heading home all the more pleasant.

--------------------
I ramble. I am human. I am trapped inside of time.--Douglas Coupland

Posts: 183 | From: East Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be more worried about the bloke in the article even considering driving a car with a bad hangover. He would probably be well over the limit and might mow down grannies and children etc!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barefeet-A-Chow

ETA: Barefoot-A-Chow

Edited because some people are such FAST posters [Big Grin]

Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um ... your (ETA)FIRST chow is to a three-year-old thread that is itself a chow to another thread that is no longer available.

ETA: Tsk! No fair editing your post and not saying so. [Razz]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tiger_splash:

The person who passes this rumor on to me actually provided a reason that was semi-plausible at the time. The reasoning was that if my car engine was overheating the heat could be conducted through the metal parts to the pedal. If the driver was barefoot than they wouldn't be able to control the car because it would burn them.

If that were true, don't you think you'd say "Hmm. My foot's getting hot. I wonder if the engine is overheating?"

My mom always told me that it was better to drive barefoot because the vibrations through the pedal helped keep you awake. Of course, my mom is a barefoot advocate at almost all times.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a commonly known "fact" when I began driving and being driven that it was illegal to drive without shoes. The arguement was that you didn't have the same control with a barefoot as a shoed one. I always wondered about that. Seems a bare foot would have better control without all that leather getting in the way.

Another "truth" among the same crowds, at the same time, was that if you're parked with your guy you had to leave your shoes on because if a cop came to your car and you had your shoes off, your fella could be charged with rape.

Yes, we really believed these... [lol]

tag no officer, I'm not naked...I DO have my shoes on! urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shoot, if'n my friends couldn't drive barefoot, they couldn't drive a-tall. I mean, typically they keeps one foot on th' gas, clamps the steerin' wheel with the toes on t'other foot, leavin' both hands free fer their cig and their beer.

Brad "livin' in a redneck paradise" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eakf

I've heard the rumours about footwear and driving, but I always took the common-sense approach. I don't even know if it's illegal in Canada or not, but I would think that it's more problamatic for improper footwear than no footwear.

For example, if you decide to drive barefoot and kick your shoes off and leave them on the floor on the driver's side, that can pose a serious hazard if they get stuck under the pedals.

Similarly if you're wearing shoes with no heels (especially driving a manual), they're more likely to come off or restrict access to the pedals, especially in a crucial moment like when you're panicking.

Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had flip flops come loose on me and get stuck both on top and under the pedals. Can be quite scary. So barefoot is much safer than wearing flip flops or other loose shoes.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if it's legal to drive naked.

Brad "but I'm not going to be the first" from Georgia

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I wonder if it's legal to drive naked.

Apparently not

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So if you have heavily tinted windows it's okay?

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Hmm..according to that story, the fellow was naked, but not in a car, and was threatening a witness by waving a hammer at her. See, I was thinking about peaceful naked driving....

--------------------

Samuel Jones

quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG doesn't fly either:
quote:
Alabama:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted. Exception: motorcycle rider.

Well, since I can't prove you wrong in under 5 minutes, I'm not going to claim that you are. Hat, glasses, and earmuff requirements vary wildly (and weirdly) from state to state. I think some states require that you have medical insurance if you want to ride without a helmet. I've always been under the impression (and am not ready to give it up just yet) that shirt/shoes regulations varied from state to state, as well.
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, here in ontario you are already allowed to go topless, and if you take out footwear as well, theoretically you should be able to drive legally down the road in nothing but a thong.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
.... but most of the year you would be quite likely to catch cold.

Four Five Kitties

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Ah, so the Ontario theme song is "Thongs and the Mammaries."

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

[fish] <---- Brad

--------------------

Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A "reverse microphone" is a speaker isn't it? I mean, isn't reverse completely unnecessary?

Never mind.

Anyway, never heard this before, but wow there sure are a lot of crazy rumors about what's illegal. I imagine someone who likes to defend their road behavior (someone who's constantly breaking rules of the road) would use this as a defense, something like "well a lot of road laws are pretty useless". Sure it's a nonsequiter, but it's not like people using this as a defense would realize that.

And yes, when it comes to laws, common sense is a pretty good approach. Unless a cop tells you the law, if it sounds too silly to be true, don't obey it. Wow I hope some psycho doesn't read that and apply that to their crazy idea that virus bombing being illegal is a silly thing to be illegal and since they never heard some official actually state it's illegal, it isn't...

Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eakf:
Similarly if you're wearing shoes with no heels (especially driving a manual), they're more likely to come off or restrict access to the pedals, especially in a crucial moment like when you're panicking.

I don't get that last bit? do you mean slip-ons with no backs to them?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lara

Driving barefoot being illegal is an UL that my parents always told me, too. The reason was that if you were in an accident, you might be in a situation where you had to try to get out quickly, and could be stepping on broken glass, gasoline, bits of jagged metal, etc. with no shoes on.

Thinking of that makes me want to keep the shoes securely on, law or no [Smile]

La "plus those pedals are all yucky to be touching with bare skin" ra

ETA: I was in a very serious accident where I actually put my foot through the floorboard trying to brake. I was damned glad for the sneaker then, too. The sole was completely melted and nearly gone when they found it, but the sole of my foot was intact.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages