snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » "remedies" to prevent ice on windshield, etc (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "remedies" to prevent ice on windshield, etc
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 208 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's snowing/sleeting here in the Mid-Atlantic, and I'm listening to a local talk-show host. In the midst of school closings and other cancellations, he read a list of home remedies for everything from preventing your windshield from icing over to sealing a radiator leak till you can get to a service station. They sound crazy, so of course I posted them here. Is there an auto mechanic on the boards? Here are some of the remedies the host mentioned:
1. Rubbing a raw potato over the windshield--prevents icing over. [Roll Eyes]
2. Cover the distributor caps with fingerless gloves--I think it's to keep them from getting wet. [Confused]
3. Putting aspirin somewhere in the car, I think on the battery. Sounds stupid to me. [Confused] [Confused]
4. Putting a raw egg in the radiator to temporarily seal leaks. [Razz]
What say y'all? [dunce]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of any of those. Sometimes I lay a towel over my windshield at night so that I can just peel it off the next morning and be able to see. That's about it for me. I don't know enough about cars to tell you if any of those others would be worth doing.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawn:

I think I've heard this one on Car Talk before. They've also mentioned putting black pepper in the radiator for the same purpose. I'll go do a search and see if they've discussed it in any of their newspaper columns.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 01 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast in my bedroom with a PC:
quote:

I think I've heard this one on Car Talk before. They've also mentioned putting black pepper in the radiator for the same purpose. I'll go do a search and see if they've discussed it in any of their newspaper columns.
Oh yeah, I saw that on MacGyver once, so, yeah, that's defin'tly gonna work [Roll Eyes]
If it DOES work, it'd surely have to be in a hot engine? Can't imagine raw egg doing much hole blocking.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. Rubbing a raw potato over the windshield--prevents icing over.

Silly! That just cures your car of warts!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's snowing/sleeting here in the Mid-Atlantic, and I'm listening to a local talk-show host. In the midst of school closings and other cancellations, he read a list of home remedies for everything from preventing your windshield from icing over to sealing a radiator leak till you can get to a service station. They sound crazy, so of course I posted them here. Is there an auto mechanic on the boards? Here are some of the remedies the host mentioned:
1. Rubbing a raw potato over the windshield--prevents icing over. [Roll Eyes]
2. Cover the distributor caps with fingerless gloves--I think it's to keep them from getting wet. [Confused]
3. Putting aspirin somewhere in the car, I think on the battery. Sounds stupid to me. [Confused] [Confused]
What say y'all? [dunce]

1, 2, and I'm pretty sure, 3, can all be solved with a garage. Though 2 is more easily handled by having a car that is a) not a Jeep Wrangler, and b) having a car manufactured after 1990. But I bet if you repackaged finger-less gloves as distrubutor cap cozies, you could sell 'em at AutoZone for three times the price you paid for 'em!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marrya. on the beach. with a ring:
Oh yeah, I saw that on MacGyver once, so, yeah, that's defin'tly gonna work [Roll Eyes]

I know you probably don't hear Car Talk in New Zealand, but the hosts are actual mechanics, so they do know what they're talking about. Although I'll admit I think they suggested it in a "we've heard of people doing this, but we've never actually tried it ourselves" sort of way.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 01 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ah! Gotta check the fine tuning on my skepticism meter. Looks like it's set a tad high.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick toss of a pitcher of hot water on the front and back windshield is what works for me (my "garage" is four poles and a roof, and the car ices over in this cold winter weather)

lil "but I drive an old piece of crap with a 20 minute defroster" orphan

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard the egg-in-the-radiator trick too (specifically it mentioned egg white - not sure precisely what difference that makes, if any). It supposedly works by thickening the contents of your radiator, much the same way as commercially-made additives that are designed to slow leakage. It's an old bush mechanic's trick, according to one of our 4WD handbooks. We've never actually tried it, though. Somehow I think the egg wouldn't do much once it starts to cook in there...

I've never heard of gloves on the distributor, but I have heard suggestions that an old blanket be draped over the engine when parking overnight in snow country.

Little "Brrr!" Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilorphan doesn't have a clue:
A quick toss of a pitcher of hot water on the front and back windshield is what works for me (my "garage" is four poles and a roof, and the car ices over in this cold winter weather)

I hadn't heard this one until I came to Ireland, everyone does it here (went out this morning with the tea pot:)) But I've also heard that if the water is very hot then you risk breaking the seal around the window. Can anyone confirm this?

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasa:
quote:

I hadn't heard this one until I came to Ireland, everyone does it here (went out this morning with the tea pot:)) But I've also heard that if the water is very hot then you risk breaking the seal around the window. Can anyone confirm this?
You especially risk the water freezing. Throwing water at stuff for defrosting purpose is a monumentally bad idea...

Well, maybe in more temperate places. Don't try it when it's -40, believe me.

'tienne

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Etienne, kitchen, with the plunger:
quote:
quote:

You especially risk the water freezing. Throwing water at stuff for defrosting purpose is a monumentally bad idea...

'tienne

You can get away with it in Georgia. Although when it's really cold it can ice right back up. Usually I throw the defrost on full blast and hit the windshield wipers as soon as I dump the water to stop that from happening.

I did use hot water to get my car door or lock on my door unstuck. It did freeze up on me again and I had to do it all over again. Embarrassing I tell you.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 208 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The host did get an e-mail from a listener that said the best way to keep ice off your car was a garage! [lol] duh! I don't have a garage, but I do have a handy scraper plus that de-icing stuff that Prestone makes. Trust me, if there was a potato in my house, it would be baked and eaten. [Big Grin]
Here's something else I heard years ago: a pair of panty hose makes a great emergency quickie fan belt. Maybe on an older car; I've seen the belt on my car and it looks pretty complex. It's called a serpentine belt for a reason, no? [Cool]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Here's something else I heard years ago: a pair of panty hose makes a great emergency quickie fan belt. Maybe on an older car; I've seen the belt on my car and it looks pretty complex. It's called a serpentine belt for a reason, no? [Cool]

Heard that one on Car Talk, too. It worked better in the old days when cars had seperate belts for each accessory, and when they used "V belts" instead of the grooved belts they use nowadays. But they also pointed out that to just limp to the nearest gas station you don't actually need all those things the serpentine belt goes around -- just the water pump and maybe the alternator. Of course that means you have to know enough about cars to be able to identify those parts.

--------------------

The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's something else I heard years ago: a pair of panty hose makes a great emergency quickie fan belt.

I just dragged out the 4WD manual and it mentions that trick, too.

It also mentions adding soapy water, mustard or flour to your radiator to stop leaks, as well as the egg method. I have no idea how those are supposed to work...

Other tips for freezing conditions include:
Pack small boards or branches under tyres to prevent them freezing to the ground.
Release the handbrake so it doesn't freeze.
Loosen fan belts to prevent fracturing or freezing to pulleys.
Lift windscreen wiper blades to stop them freezing to the glass.
If possible, fill fuel tanks to expansion levels to prevent condensation in the tank.
And the blanket-over-the-engine.

Funny that it doesn't mention what to do to stop your locks from freezing.

Some of them just sound like common sense but I've never had to resort to any- I don't live in, and haven't visited, snow country. Anyone ever resorted to these?

Little Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gummo.nz
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone's car does get stuck in the snow, he's how NOT to move it:

http://www.xtr.nildram.co.uk/forums/snowtowcar.wmv

NOTE: I think it's about 14 meg.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gummo.nz:

Oh. My. Goodness. First thoughts as I watched it: Why not at least shovel some of the snow out of the way? And all that snow being pushed against the back end... I don't know, but it seems like filling up your exhaust pipe with snow is not a good idea.

Well, at least they'll have an accurate record to show the insurance company. [Smile]

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardMi

quote:
Originally posted by Etienne, kitchen, with the plunger:
quote:
quote:

'tienne

And you risk shattering your windshield also. The quoefficient of expansion of glass is rather high. When you heat part of it with hot water, it can expand so fast that it shatters.
Richard

brialee

quote:
I actually thought that was a joke at first because when I was in highschool, my friends windshield was completely covered in a mixture of snow and ice that was impossible to get off with the icescraper so she ran in the house and grabbed a pail of VERY hot water. The next thing we heard was a loud cracking sound which we assumed was the ice but after we took that off there was a huge hole in the middle of the windshield. Everybody laughed when we told them what happened and were told that that was the worst thing to do when there's ice on your windshield. It was extremely cold outside (I know the temp was below zero) So i guess you could use that if it's not as cold, but the sudden temp change can do some serious damage.
It didn't help that her windshield was already cracked to begin with!

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gummo, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

Your first act is to buy my wife a new keyboard... she has been nearly hospitalized due to damage she incurred from laughter, well, screaming would be more like it, all due to your video.

Those are some pretty stupid kids.

What I want to know is, why did six or more young men just stand about watching as the truck did the pulling. I won't even get into the physics of them pulling the car in the WRONG direction. About $8,000 damage just to get out of a snow drift... and these are our future leaders.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!! DOOMED I TELL YA'!!!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The First USA Noel

Icon 16 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I couldn't stop laughing, but egad!!!

Let's say I was expecting to see damage, but not that much!

Hubby & I vote unanimously: complete tossers!

Little Galaxy

--------------------

barb b

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I know this sounds weird, but it really seems to work for me. On really cold, snowy days, I turn the temp on my defroster all the way down for about 30-45 seconds before I shut the car off. My theory is that it will cool the windshield, making the first snowflakes to hit it less likely to melt and form the smooth ice that's really hard to get off.

I also use the bend the windshield wipers so they're off the windshield when it's parked so they don't stick in the snow/ice.

Doc LaMora

quote:

Here in North Dakota, if you toss hot water on an iced-over windshield, you'll see very well. Between the cracks and holes. Dang near guaranteed to shattered your windshield.
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing not to do if your windshield is iced over, put your heat on full blast.
A friend of mine had a 94 Honda Accord and the whole windshield cracked about an inch from the bottom all the way across. I don't know if this would happen on other cars, because my 03 Camry shoots out cold air if the engine hasn't been running, but it sure happened to her's.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rhiandmoi:
Another thing not to do if your windshield is iced over, put your heat on full blast.
A friend of mine had a 94 Honda Accord and the whole windshield cracked about an inch from the bottom all the way across. I don't know if this would happen on other cars...

Same thing happened to my husband's (95?) Forester this winter.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm

quote:

Oh yeah. That works. My sister's friend did that and webbed the windshield. No, no, no, no. Must not throw hot water on frozen windshield.
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find a sheet of VisQueen, or some heavy garbage bags, and a couple of strong magnets (such as the aquarium scrapers) does wonders keeping ice, snow, saltspray, etc. off windshields. Of course, in heavy winds, not the easiest thing to do by yourself.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got my FIL (from Maine) a heated ice scraper for Christmas. You'd have thought it was made of gold he was so excited about it.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FaithHopeLove

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooh la la Starla:
We got my FIL (from Maine) a heated ice scraper for Christmas. You'd have thought it was made of gold he was so excited about it.

Pray tell, where might I find such a wondrous item? (Did you have to slay a dragon to acquire it?)

Faith "frozen charlotte" Love

abby 68

Icon 206 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

YOMANK ROTFLMFAO
[fish] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 01 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was worth it to open IE to watch that.

Thanks for the giggles and welcome to the board!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FaithHopeLove:
quote:
Originally posted by ooh la la Starla:

Pray tell, where might I find such a wondrous item? (Did you have to slay a dragon to acquire it?)

Faith "frozen charlotte" Love

We got ours from the Norm Thompson catalog. We saw a few others, but this one seemed to be of much higher quality and the only extra cost came from shipping. Their built-in underwire bra camisoles are wonderful too. [Big Grin]

Star"I love online shopping!"la

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
politicat

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Galaxy inquired
quote:
Pack small boards or branches under tyres to prevent them freezing to the ground.
Release the handbrake so it doesn't freeze.
Loosen fan belts to prevent fracturing or freezing to pulleys.
Lift windscreen wiper blades to stop them freezing to the glass.
If possible, fill fuel tanks to expansion levels to prevent condensation in the tank.
And the blanket-over-the-engine.

Funny that it doesn't mention what to do to stop your locks from freezing.

Some of them just sound like common sense but I've never had to resort to any- I don't live in, and haven't visited, snow country. Anyone ever resorted to these?

We've had our parking brake freeze, and boy, does it do weird things to the car.... (one wheel won't move. Flat space on tire, yes.) We do lift the wipers, but more to keep them from getting an icy patch (which is invariably in front of my poor eyes.)

The small boards and branches trick does work. We've used a shoplight - the kind with a 100 watt bulb in a cage - to keep the car warm enough to start as well as a dipstick heater - replace oil dipstick with this heating element. helps the car start. (These last were on my old car, which was carbeurated, and thus, temperamental. I now fuel injection. Much preferable.

Pcat (who lives in a fairly temperate place, all things considered, except when it's not. )

Melissa

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O.K., All you have to do to get the ice off your windshield is go buy some de-icing wiper fluid and put in your car. Works like a charm.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages