snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Automobiles Archive » 710 Cap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 710 Cap
Flaming June
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Flaming June   Author's Homepage   E-mail Flaming June   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me if this is already posted...I couldn't find it anywhere. It does bear a resemblance to this legend.

Truthful Ocean

Seven Ten Cap

The other day I was in the local auto part store. A lady comes in and asks for a seven ten cap. We all looked at each other and said, "What's a seven ten cap?"

She said "You know, it's right on the engine. Mine got lost somehow and I need a new one."

"What kind of a car is it on," they asked? Now I'm thinking maybe an old Datsun Seven Ten, but no, she said its a Buick. "

OK lady, how big is it?"

She makes a circle with her hands about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

"What does it do?" we asked.

She said, "I don't know, but its always been there."

One of us gave her a note pad and asked her if she
could draw a picture of it. So she makes a circle
about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and in the center she writes 710. The guys behind the counter are looking at it upside down as she writes it...and they fall down behind the counter they are laughing so hard.

One guy said " I think you want an oil cap."

She said, "Seven Ten cap, oil cap, I don't care what you call it, I just need one, and I don't see what is so funny about it."

Yes, she was a blonde.

Note: If you read "710" upside down.... it spells OIL!!!!

--------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posts: 364 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very similar to the "24oz" waterpump that Barbara just put on the page. Maybe this will be an addition.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My husband either called a local auto parts store to get the price for
something on his Lincoln Mark VIII. The parts person claimed that the car
wasn't listed in the part catalog, which my husband thought was a little weird.
After haggling back and forth for a few minutes, the parts person finally
exclaimed with much frustration, "Look, the only Lincoln that comes close is
the Mark Vee-Eye-Eye-Eye."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira, monstrously cheesy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, at least X person in the legend actually looked under their hood. There are people out there who have no idea how to even OPEN their hood in the first place (btw, the one I met was a male).

I had to get my brakes done "out" (Hub usually does everything) once and called Midas to get a quote. They gave me a decent quote over the phone, I took it in. I'm not sure exactly what happened - we dropped the car off...I'm not sure why, but 10 minutes later my friend and I ended up back up there. I got a completely different, HUGE number from the guy for the job. After doing the inevitable double take, I asked him precisely what car was he giving me a quote on, a CRX HF? or a Rolls Royce? He says he's got the CRX HF, that's what the computer says. "That's not the quote I got over the phone" "well this is what the computer says" He's ready to be a bully about it & go back and forth all day, meanwhile my car is up on the lift.

"let me see what's on your screen" -so he turns it around. He's got a quote for a CRX HX. A completely nonexistant car and yet they were able to pull up a quote for it. How interesting.

Car came down off the lift. I got it back with the hood still popped and the radio turned up to some mexican station. Niice.

The next brake place I took it to tried to bully me into something I didn't need, but that's OT.

Meg "avoids chain shops like the plague" aira

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages