snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Most horrible singer ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most horrible singer ever
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dare you to find something worse than this. [Eek!]
I double dog dare you.

edited to add: listen to it all. Really. You think it couldn't get worse, but it does.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just did.

Try listening to Florence Foster Jenkins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Foster_Jenkins

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh thank you, Morrigan. I was going to suggest her. [Big Grin]
Nobody sings worse than Florence Foster Jenkins. Not to mention that her repertoire makes things unbeatably bad. Even people who can sing passably well wouldn't try to sing what she did, in most cases -- like the Queen of the Night's Aria from the Magic Flute.

There's a sample of that particular train wreck linked to on the Wikipedia page. I also urge you to track down her version of some bits from Die Fledermaus.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His singing reminds me of my mother in law's.

And she sings in one of my choirs, in my voice part, and VERY LOUDLY right next to me.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bramble Silvertree
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Bramble Silvertree   E-mail Bramble Silvertree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the title of the thread. I read the warnings. I still clicked on it. And now my life will never be the same. Whatever that is, someone should put it out of its misery. Never heard of Florence Foster Jenkins, but morbid curiosity just might prevail. I never learn my lesson.

ETA: Actually not as painfull as the first guy! She sounds like a puppy!!!

--------------------
"Tout le monde est fou, sauf vous et moi."

Posts: 47 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morrigan:
I just did.

Try listening to Florence Foster Jenkins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Foster_Jenkins

Morrigan

From the wikipedia article:

quote:
After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing "a higher F than ever before." Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars.
[lol]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree with Bramble: she was awful, but he was excruciating. It brings back painful flashbacks to Karaoke.

P&LL, Syl'erhhggg make it stop'vanz [Eek!]

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Morrigan [/qb][/QUOTE]From the wikipedia article:

quote:
After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing "a higher F than ever before." Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars.
[lol] [/QB][/QUOTE]

A "higher" F?! An F is an F! Or do they mean the F an octave higher than what she could do before?

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was brilliant. I haven't laughed so much in ages. At first is was painful, but then I just knew the higher it got, the better it would get!

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Florence Foster Jenkins actually sounded brilliant in comparison to the first guy, at least she sounds like she's really trying, even though she fails miserably. She's got heart at least. [Wink]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My 10yo asked is the first guy was sick to his stomach.

My 6yo said florence sounded like a cat being stepped on.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ms. Jenkins was lacking in talent, but she also is lacking the incredible cheese factor of the O Holy Night guy.

OIY.

Why is bad singing so funny?

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never really liked "O Holy Night", so as horrible as that was, I'm not missing anything. I did, however, truly like that aria... before now.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pfft, amateurs. Nobody can compare to the great Michel Farinet.

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fourth Man:
Pfft, amateurs. Nobody can compare to the great Michel Farinet.

Uhm...no parlee voo, so I don't know if I found the music you were referring to (it's a chick, right?)...but...

I...

kinda liked that, actually. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I honestly think that none of these guys have anything on Wing...Yes, she has 12 albums!

Examples-
Biscuits on Kittens
Slaughtering Les Mis
Breathe

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... I suspect you might have found something else. I'm sorry, I should have expressed myself more clearly.

The link I gave in my previous post is only the page about Michel Farinet (who is a man, by the way) on the site of the webradio "Bide et Musique", which broadcasts MF's songs among other stuff. You were probably listening to the radio, which currently broadcasts some of the aforementioned other stuff [Smile]

If you want to listen to some of his songs, you should in fact go there.

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeeearrrrrgh Griffin apparently I'm a masochist because I listened to all three of those clips. Make it stoppppp!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find Wing oddly endearing... [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
Originally posted by The Fourth Man:
Hmm... I suspect you might have found something else. I'm sorry, I should have expressed myself more clearly.

The link I gave in my previous post is only the page about Michel Farinet (who is a man, by the way) on the site of the webradio "Bide et Musique", which broadcasts MF's songs among other stuff. You were probably listening to the radio, which currently broadcasts some of the aforementioned other stuff [Smile]

If you want to listen to some of his songs, you should in fact go there.

Uhm...well, if it weren't for the midi accompiament...also he's not screaming his lungs out...but he's no Tom Jones.

--------------------

snapdragonfly

Griffin,

I would have had an Wing earworm but it died in agony.

--------------------

Louise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wing isn't that bad. Her voice isn't really suited for those songs though, but at least she seemed to be in the right key and what not. Of course, Florence was terrible. I've heard a good Queen of the night Aria, and that was definitely not it. She obviously can't hit any of the right notes. I wasn't able to hear Michel though.
I don't really know what Holy Night is supposed to sound like, so I can't really judge the first guy. He was just annoying, not really amusing.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 04 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
I find Wing oddly endearing... [Embarrassed]

As do I. I am a Wing fan. Love her Abba stuff.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Louise:
quote:
...snip I don't really know what Holy Night is supposed to sound like, so I can't really judge the first guy. He was just annoying, not really amusing.
Try this:
Mario Lanza, "O Holy Night!" This is the way this song is supposed to be sung, and it gives me goose pimples every single time.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Sylvanz, that was perfection. It was even the right pace - not too slow. I can't believe I've never heard that recording of it.

--------------------

Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the local afternoon talk jocks played some of her music and made up an elaborate story about her (Wing) being deaf. He was the one who actually "commissioned" the AC/DC songs. What makes wing so bad is her lack of tempo and use of incorrect lyrics ("biscuits on kittens" in Favorite Things). She cracks me up.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sylvanz, that was perfection. It was even the right pace - not too slow. I can't believe I've never heard that recording of it.
When I was about 13 or so my mom had an album of different Christmas songs by various artists (yes it was an old "wax" LP). That version of "O Holy Night!" was on the album. I'd actually never heard the song before. I loved it and listened to it over and over every Christmas. I haven't heard it in years, and like many things do over time the record disappeared somewhere. The OP made me long to hear it the right way again, and when Louise said she didn't know how it was supposed to sound I tried googling it and was lucky to find the very one I was looking for. I've never heard anyone else do that song justice.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------

Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. Oo. Ouch. Damn.

You are right. The OP has the worst singing I ever heard.

A few seconds after the song had stopped, I tilted my head a little to the right and heard a loud and unseemly "pop" from my neck muscles. I'd been all clenched up the whole time.

I've heard a lot of people who I never thought of as singers (Mel Gibson anyone?) surprise the hell out of me when it came time to hear them perform, and I've heard a lot of people who I never thought of as singers turn in at least a passable performance when they were up (think the Buffy episode), and I've heard a lot of people who EVERYONE thinks of as singers make noises on the radio that almost failed to resemble music (I can't be the only one in the world who thinks Macy Gray sounds like Donald Duck), but this is the first person I've ever heard who is actually trying to hurt music.

This is the first time I've ever heard a song cry. Every time he flexed his range up another notch, I felt bad for the tape recorder. What in the wide wide world of sports was he auditioning FOR?

That was INTERGALACTICALLY bad. Thanks. Made my night.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO I just got this on my LJ friends list.
Scroll down and click the video.
EDIT: Can't speel worth a damn tonight.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just when you thought it couldn't possibly be out there in any other form, and there it is although the video does it some justice. [lol]

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I posted this on this forum once before, but what the heck: in the annals of truly bad singing, few can compare to the Laci Peterson-tribute song Remembering Laci, written and sung by John Strand.

I'm sure the guy meant well but... eegads.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
Originally posted by The Rubber Chicken:
I know I posted this on this forum once before, but what the heck: in the annals of truly bad singing, few can compare to the Laci Peterson-tribute song Remembering Laci, written and sung by John Strand.

I'm sure the guy meant well but... eegads.

The thing about that is, you can't even make fun of it because of tragic and etc.

At least he wasn't screaming it. But oh, dear.

snap - talk about your mixed emotions - dragonfly

--------------------

moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I feel like I am going to hell because that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin at the Maul:

Slaughtering Les Mis

Against my better judgment, I clicked on that one hoping it would be one of Cosette's songs, none of which can be ruined for me because I don't like them very much anyway. Thank heavens it was!

I'm listening to "Remembering Laci" now, and I have a question. Did the guy even know her? If so, I could see where his heart is in the right place, but if not, I'd say this is really pretty disrespectful to those who really did know and love her. Ew!

The OP song reminds me of that thread we had about movies and shows that base their jokes on humiliating people and how they're really not funny. I agree with that, but I tend to make exceptions for cases when the humiliation is self-inflicted and the "victim" has only him/herself to blame. Such is most certainly the case with that song!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm listening to "Remembering Laci" now, and I have a question. Did the guy even know her? If so, I could see where his heart is in the right place, but if not, I'd say this is really pretty disrespectful to those who really did know and love her. Ew!

I could be wrong, but as I recall, the singer (and I use that term loosely) did not know her at all. He was simply "inspired" to write the song after hearing about the story.

This, by the way, removes most of the guilt I might have about ridiculing it. If a relative or loved one wrote the song out of grief, I would feel bad about making fun of it. But if it is just some random guy... well, the song is a valid target for ridicule and scorn in my book.

And while I'm still in the "worst singer ever" thread, I submit that Hulk Hogan also ranks up there as one of the most horrible singers in history (and sorry, but that link has no sound bites [Frown] I just wanted to prove that he really did release a CD). As with the "Remembering Laci" guy, Hogan also manages to make a mockery, albeit I'm sure unintentional, out of someone's tragic death -- in this case, the song "Hulkster in Heaven," about a young boy who died of cancer (if I recall). He also advocates water safety by encouraging kids to "always swim with a buddy," challenges Ted Turner to an arm-wrestling match, and implores us to "pump it up, pump it up, pump up the bass."

A true classic from the Hulkster.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages