snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Fun House » Track your money!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Track your money!
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 605 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's George? Simply enter a bill's serial number and see if it's been submitted.
Canadians can track their currency by clicking on the Where's Willy? link on the homepage.

Dawn--passing the buck--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found out about this site in the summer when I got some American money for a trip to Oregon. Most of the bills were too new (the serial numbers were in order) for them to have appeared on the site yet. I haven't tried it for Canadian money yet.

What I found interesting on the site was that you can't get the official stamps anymore. You have to make your own stamps to mark the bills.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been a Georger for a couple of years, and it's pretty cool. If you really explore the site, they have a lot of interesting trivia about U.S. Currency. You can also build your own profile page with maps of where your bills have been spotted.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:
I found out about this site in the summer when I got some American money for a trip to Oregon. Most of the bills were too new (the serial numbers were in order) for them to have appeared on the site yet. I haven't tried it for Canadian money yet.

What I found interesting on the site was that you can't get the official stamps anymore. You have to make your own stamps to mark the bills.

The age of the bills has nothing to do with whether they are already listed on the site. They only appear if a Georger has entered them. (A Georger is someone who is registered at the site and marks and enters his/her bills.)
The reason that you can't get the stamps at the site is because the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury "asked" the owner of the site to stop selling them as they deemed him to be making a profit off of the bill markings. Bill markings are not illegal, profiting from bill markings is.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
However, you can get "Where's George" stamps elsewhere.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 605 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:

I've gotten two bills; someone had simply written the website in the margin with a pen.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I did when I marked them. Unfortunately I don't carry cash anymore so I don't get to play [Frown]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool. I signed up for this site a few years ago and had pretty much forgotten about it. I just logged in for the first time in a few years. I'd only put in two $1 bills, but it looks like one of them made its way from Southern CA to Alabama. Interesting.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How disappointing...I entered 8 bills & none of them had been entered before.

Oh well...hopefully they'll travel far & wide [Wink]

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages