snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Business Bytes » GEICO? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: GEICO?
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got Geico; I like it. I used to have State Farm, and I swear they screwed me whenever they got the chance.

(Edited to change "screwed my" to "screwed me".... lest I confuse anyone.)

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have Geico, but I used to work in the insurance business. In general, they seemed like a pretty good company and in the dealing I had with them, always did what they were supposed to do.

Fury...every one is different I guess. I have had State Farm for 12 years and have never had a problem with them, and, no other company has ever been able to beat their rate (for me).

In fact, no other company has been able to come close. I'm paying right at $1000 per year for full coverage with fairly high limits, and the next cheapest quote I was given was $900 every six months.

ETA: My best friend has Geico and he has had several accidents...several that were his fault, and several that were not, and he never had a problem with any of the claims.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a good experience with GEICO up until I cancelled my policy (Progressive was $200/yr cheaper in my new hometown). THAT was a customer service nightmare. But that's a story for another day and while companies are often bad at ending relationships (in my experience), it doesn't mean they're bad in general.

I never had a claim with GEICO, although I was in an accident for which I was not at fault, and they were very helpful then. Told me all the things I should say/ask when talking to the other insurance company. (For example, that they were required to provide me with a rental car while mine was in the shop.)

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always carried my insurance through State Farm. Not that I have a single bad thing to say about Geico (just have no experience with them), but I like being able to go to an office and talk to a real person, and the folks at the office are super. Also, you can get more than just car insurance through them, and the more things you have (car, renter's insurance, life insurance, etc.) the more discounts you get. Plus, you can carry investments with them... we currently have a CD that we're building for when the kids are older. Never had any problems with them that weren't quickly resolved.

But if Geico works for you, then by all means stick with them.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been very happy with Farm Bureau Insurance for the past 15 years or so. They're about half of what most carriers charge, and you get lots of freebies and discounts as a Farm Bureau member.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They have just about the best advertisements in the history of television... Is that reason enough to go with 'em?

I was insured via Geico for three years, until someone else gave me a better deal. But as I've never (knock wood) had to make a claim, I can't tell what'll happen when the metal hits the road.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two insurance companies got on my NFBSK list. I refuse to do business with them, even if they offer unlimited coverage for $1.50/year.

First was GEICO about 6 years ago. I was going away to college and I couldn't afford to keep the car any more. It took about 30 minutes of going through customer service reps and automated responses until I got that ir removed (This was well before my current policy had expired). The problem was that they had already sent my renewal letter through the mail. When I got it, I just threw it away because I had called and cancelled my policy. I then started to get annoying phone calls from GEICO saying that my policy will be cancelled because I'm deliquent on my payment. I told every one of them that I cancelled the policy weeks ago but they kept calling. Finally they did cancel my policy but AFTER the new policy would have begun and they said I owed them money for this period because they were still provided coverage for a car I no longer owned at that point. I tried numerous times to get this settled but they wouldn't admit they screwed up and wanted money (about $300). I refused to pay and they turned it over to a collection agency and I flat out refused to pay. So my credit sucks right now. Thank you GEICO. [Mad]

The other is State Farm, about 4 years ago. After I got out of college, I wanted a to get a car so I started calling around for quotes. State Farm asked if I was currently covered, and I said no. I was then told they can't give quotes to anyone was hasn't been covered for at least 6 months. I tried telling them that I haven't owned a car in at least 2 or 3 years, which is why I haven't had coverage. I was told this doesn't matter and they will not give me a quote. This went back and forth until both the agent and I got pretty agitated and he hung up on me. Thank you State Farm. [Mad]

At the moment I carry Progressive (for about 2 years now) and they've been good to me so far but I have yet to file a claim.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
They have just about the best advertisements in the history of television... Is that reason enough to go with 'em?

Silas

This would only be true if they weren't played every 12.5 seconds. I think they are just over saturating us a bit.

...ok, the one with the squirrels hand-jiving was really funny. [Smile]

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently shopping for car insurance now, so I was wondering if there is a non-biased website out there for comparing the different companies. I know to check the BBB, but is there some place that gives general cost and quality comparisons?

I have Progressive now but I am thinking of switching to Mercury or Anchor because the cost would be considerably cheaper.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to get the GEICO Gumby every time I went on line. I got to turning the volume down when the chubby cheeked guy came on. I would be pulling out the irritating advertisements (you know, the postcards to subscribe) from magazines I subscribe to, and there would be a heavy paper, full page for GEICO. I would get a catalog I was going to look through and while handeling it a GEICO add would fall out on the floor.

GEICO was everywhere and that makes me wonder how their rates can be so cheap with the big bucks they are spending on advertising. [Confused]

Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
never had a problem with GEICO. I have done a ton of policy charnges with them over the last ten years without a problem. In fact, when I had just liability on my car, I would upgrade to full and back to laibility whenever I rented a car and never had a problem.

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:

I LOATHE those commercials!! I would pay money to have a chance to shoot that NFBSKing little gecko with the annoying voice!! [flame]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:
I have Progressive now but I am thinking of switching to Mercury or Anchor because the cost would be considerably cheaper.

You might want to look at AAA's insurance as well. You have to be a AAA member, but even figuring in the membership fee it was still a few dollars cheaper than the second lowest quote I got, which was Mercury. Plus you get all the benifits of AAA membership. I've never had to file a claim, so I can't tell you how good they are with that.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, Zorro! You'd ruin Khaled's great fun! My older son LOVES the Geico Gecko! He smiles and laughs and points to the TV... gets a big thrill out of it.

Now, those Geico caveman commercials... those can go!

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had Geico for my car for about 8 years. I added my motorcycle and house. I like the fact that they are open 24 hours. They have online account management. I have found the customer service people to be helpful and friendly every time I've called.

I have had a couple of claims on my auto - non fault (road debris damaged my car) and other driver's fault. Both of those were minor (thankfully). But, Geico was helpful in both instances.

Lydia "I like the commercials!" Oh Lydia

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:

This went back and forth until both the agent and I got pretty agitated and he hung up on me. Thank you State Farm.

Just out of personal curiousity, you're saying you called a company, they told you they couldn't give you a quote because you didn't have current insurance, you explained why you didn't have insurance, they explained it didn't matter...

and you continued to argue until you both got pissed off?

Why waste your time arguing? Why not just say "ok" (or whatever would have been an appropriate response) and hang up?

ETA: State Farm is not the only company that requires current coverage, or at least, wasn't when I was in the insurance business.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noysey:
GEICO was everywhere and that makes me wonder how their rates can be so cheap with the big bucks they are spending on advertising. [Confused]

That's one reason why I try not to do business with places that advertise excessively. I'm suspicious about their business practices if they can spend so much money on ads. It may not be logical, but it's worked pretty well for me to this point.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to this thread I checked out Geico and they were actually the cheapest. I switched today and I'll be saving $600 a year now. Yay for snopes.com!
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
Originally posted by magpie:

You might want to look at AAA's insurance as well. You have to be a AAA member, but even figuring in the membership fee it was still a few dollars cheaper than the second lowest quote I got, which was Mercury. Plus you get all the benifits of AAA membership. I've never had to file a claim, so I can't tell you how good they are with that.
Actually, AAA doesn't require you to be a memeber anymore to request a quote for insurance. As long as you have an item that they can insure (auto, home, life, medical or renter's insurance), they'll give you a quote and then ask you how soon you want to insure.

The AAA membership is worth it though for the discounts alone. I call it my idiot insurance for the few times a year I lock my keys in the car.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
Just out of personal curiousity, you're saying you called a company, they told you they couldn't give you a quote because you didn't have current insurance, you explained why you didn't have insurance, they explained it didn't matter...

and you continued to argue until you both got pissed off?

Why waste your time arguing? Why not just say "ok" (or whatever would have been an appropriate response) and hang up?

ETA: State Farm is not the only company that requires current coverage, or at least, wasn't when I was in the insurance business.

I just found it stupid that they wouldn't accept new drivers. Imagine if all insurance companies did this? Well, probably not.

I have a quirk/flaw/psychosis that once I get involved with something I think is stupid, I just can't let it go. I know I should just save my mental health and my blood pressure by walking away but I just can't let it out of my teeth. I should see if there's medication for bull-headed stubborness. [Wink]

--------------------

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild.Otaku:
Actually, AAA doesn't require you to be a memeber anymore to request a quote for insurance.

No, not to request a quote, but AFIK you do have to be a member to buy the insurance.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been turned off by any company like that that advertises heavily. So I'm actually quite surprised to hear mostly positive reviews. I may look into it next time. It'll come down to price though. I get wildly inconsistent quotes since on the one hand I don't drive much and have a clean record, but on the other hand my car is fast and expensive.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've grown up with them my whole life, as my dad worked for the federal government (the name was an acronym - Government Employees Insurance COmpany). I just stayed with them when I started carrying my own insurance - only had to make two minor claims, no problems.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goombah
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goombah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always had State Farm for my coverage and I've never had any complaints about them. Every now and then though I do a little research on rates and Geico has always been higher priced for me.

The only experiance I've ever had with them was in trying to get them to pay up after some gekko insured twit slammed into my (parked) car in a hit and run accident. He wasn't convicted of the crime until nearly a year after it happened and by that time he had moved out of state and let his coverage lapse. They kept sending me back out for more and more documentation. Police reports, court transcripts, SIX different estimates - it just got old. Eventually, after jumping through their hoops for another three months, they sent me a check for the blue book value (which was just slightly greater than the lowest estimate).

I've got a friend who loathes Geico because they cancelled his policy after his 3rd DUI and second accident in six months. Go figure.

FWIW, count me among the Geico advertising haters. You can't flip through the channels without seing that insipid lizardy grin. It's almost as annoying as the the AFLAC duck.

--------------------
Ok guys, try to remember this time. It's pillage first, then burn.

Posts: 179 | From: Holdrege, NE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
I just found it stupid that they wouldn't accept new drivers.

I think it's odd, but every company I've ever worked for (whether insurance or anything else) has some policy somebody that makes somebody mad for some reason. That's why (to me) it's not worth my time to argue. If they don't wan't my business, I'll just go somewhere else, and most of the time, it's a waste of time to argue with the person that answers the phone, because they can't do anything about it anyway.

Not sure if this is still true, but when I was in my early 20s, you couldn't get State Farm insurance if you were under 25, unless you were transferring from someone else's already existing policy (like a parent).

However, they weren't the only company that did that either. I had to go to several places before I found someone that would even talk to me.

quote:

I have a quirk/flaw/psychosis that once I get involved with something I think is stupid, I just can't let it go.

Everybody's different. I just don't have time or the inclination to argue. I have other stuff to do, and like I said, it usually accomplishes nothing.

quote:

I should see if there's medication for bull-headed stubborness. [Wink]

[lol]

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Actually, AAA doesn't require you to be a memeber anymore to request a quote for insurance.

No, not to request a quote, but AFIK you do have to be a member to buy the insurance.
If the cost of membership plus the cost of insurance is less than the cost of insurance elsewhere, it's still a good deal.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just found it stupid that they wouldn't accept new drivers. Imagine if all insurance companies did this? Well, probably not.

The reason not all insurance companies require previous insurance is because it is profitable for some companies to provide "higher risk" insurance. Such is the case with Progressive. Years ago I had to get insurance through Progressive for six months just so I could get other insurance companies to consider me.

State Farm has decided that it is in their best financial interest to only offer insurance to those that they can judge based on recent insurance history. I don't think it's all that stupid a policy.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:
quote:

If the cost of membership plus the cost of insurance is less than the cost of insurance elsewhere, it's still a good deal.
Which is basically what I said in my first post.

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Geico rules. [Smile]

I collided with another vehicle, and was found at-fault. It took one ten-minute call to get it all sorted out, and to get the other guy a rental for a few days. My rate did not increase afterwards, either.

It was also easy to cancel when I no longer had a vehicle. I did it right on the computer and was immediately done. Poof, that's it.

They are also awesome with quotes. You can get a quote in minutes, no e-mail involved, and buy it immediately if you like it.

Low prices? Hell yeah! I was considering buying an '83 Camaro for a short time. Insurance was going to be less than $150 for six months, and I'm a 25 y/o male! I've also checked on a b fully-insured policy for a brand-new luxo vehicle (moment of dreaming, I'm dirt-poor doncha know [Wink] ) and I seem to remember it only being a shade over $400 for six months. That seemed like a good deal to me, anyways. I mean I selected like, EVERYTHING. So . . .

Yeah, Geico rules. [Smile]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll put it to you this way: I work for another insurance company, and I am staying with GEICO for auto insurance.

My only complaint with GEICO is that, in regards to my most recent accident (BF hit a curb, causing my airbags to blow out), at one point I had 3 different inside coordinators giving me different information about what was going on with my claim. On the plus side, the confusion was straightened out within a couple hours, as opposed to weeks.

Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sinomen79
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinomen79   E-mail sinomen79   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Referring to Geico,

I was in a major accident in 2006, in Memphis, Tn. I was stopped and a 68 year old women who was drunk rear ended me at 73 miles an hour (police estmate) with her brakes on, she was insured through Geico. I ended up across four lanes of traffic and since I was on a major highway was lucky I wasn't killed! I ended up in a Trauma hospital, couldn't feel my legs, now disabled from this accident and I HAD TO CONTACT THEM for the insurance information. It took me twelve days to get any information from them, they REFUSED to tell me who the other insured person was, not her name or her insurance informtion. All the police could release was the company name, Geico! They then proceeded to send me a letter notifying me about the accident and that they had been trying to find me..the letter was dated a two weeks after I called them! They then offered me a small sum without even telling me any information on the drivers insurance coverage or anything. I was still in physical therapy, seeing three differant doctors and these people were pushing me to sign papers. My car was totalled but they refused to pay for the car. They received the estimates of 6412.00 of damage and the car was blue booked at 4500. They would fix it but not total it! They also refused to except my own insurance adjusters claim that it is totalled. The repair shop stated it would take more than 6 months to get all the parts and it would need rebuilt starting with the buckled frame and on up...I finally gave up on dealing with them. I hired a lawyer!
but if they had done their job I would not have needed an attorney and it took eight months of medical treatment and a refusal to pay my medical bills that brought about an attorney! but because of their incompentence in handling the accident in a mature manner, I ended up not only suing them for my hospital and other cost but sued them for insuring a women who had 14 drunk driving tickets on her driving record! There a large company, why would they except someone with such a record as a client?
When I asked why they were not covering my injuries I was told that my story and the womens did not match...well gee if your arrested at the scene because of drunken driving and the bottle of Jim Beam is still on the front seat, what story is there left to tell.
I also sued the woman driver separatly as I had just finished college and was not able to meet my school loan payments..so if you go with Geico just realize as the client you are well protected but when the other person is not their client and gets fed up with dealing with them, you may find yourself liguidating your assents to pay for what they could have taken care of with better communication and understanding without you being drug into court!

Posts: 1 | From: Seaside, OR | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sinomen, where was your insurance company through all that?

My truck was rear ended a couple of years ago, and because the owner of the other vehicle was a respected businessman, I accepted his promise to pay for the damages instead of filing a police report. When the quote came in at $1000, he refused. I called my insurance company, and they paid the claim (minus deductible), and went after the other driver. He (or his insurance company) paid my company, which then sent us a check for the deductible.

I believe this is called subrogation.

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Span & Cookies is correct - your insurance company should have handled all the contact with Geico. Under normal circumstances, they (your insurance) would have paid then opened subrogation against Geico.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
Span & Cookies is correct

Except for the small typo, this looks to me like The Best Sig Line Ever. Do you mind, chillas?

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] No, please, be my guest! [Smile]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages