snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Stop blocking my driveway! (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stop blocking my driveway!
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Orshee:
Yes, it's bad to call the cops - but it's bad to block someone's driveway over and over. They know what they are doing and clearly do not care whether it inconveniences anyone else.

All true, but I still think you should make the effort first. For one thing, you can make a better case for police involvement if you can (honestly) say that you have tried to deal with problem directly.
I think she's right. It might not do any good, but then they'll be the assfedoras, not you.
Exactly. Take the high road. Being in a feud with neighbors is never fun, so best to try to avoid that if possible. And, if your neighbor continues to be an assfez, then call the police. At least you will have the satisfaction that you tried to resolve the matter amiably.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
snapdragonfly :
If things get rather nasty, is there any way to call a private tow company and have it vanished? Bet they wouldn't do that again. Might cause things to be unpleasant though.

Orshee :I don't think I can legally have them towed since they're on the street. But if the cops saw them parked there, they would get towed (after being ticketed).

Yes you can, at least here in California you could. Having dealt with getting back a car that was towed. Anybody can call a tow company and they can and will come and tow an illegally parked vehicle. Usually rather quickly. They make their money on people having to ransom their vehicles back or selling said vehicles if the owner does not pay the ransom. There are probably specific companies contracted to deal with vehicles in your jurisdiction, so you may need to find who they are.

If that happened once, I suspect even the most inconsiderate parker would be more careful where they park, but as mentioned it would not be very neighborly, but then blocking drive ways isn't either.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orshee   E-mail Orshee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, let me reiterate - they do not and will not know that I am calling the city about this. If the cops come by when they're blocking my driveway, they will get a ticket because they are breaking the law. They won't know that I was the one who made the cops aware of that.

So I am not worried about my safety, though I appreciate the concern.

ILS - I didn't know that. I'll have to look into Minneapolis laws.

Posts: 130 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IME, the police prefer that you try having a conversation with the neighbors first. When I finally had had enough of my neighbor's puppy coming into my yard (it was small enough to slip under my gate) and digging holes, as well as stealing my shoes, I asked them to keep their dog out of my yard. The next time it was back, I called the police and they were surprised and happy that I had already had a conversation with the neighbors about it.

I agree with Beach that it's not very neighborly to call the police first rather than talk to the neighbor, but on the flip side of that it's not very neighborly to park across someone else's driveway.

Good luck!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We lived next door to a rental home. The 1st family that lived there jumped our chain link fence and somehow drove their motorized dirt bike up the side of our house. They were evicted when one of the son's tried to burn the house down.

Family #2 tied their dog to the door of their garage, which was next to our bedroom, I worked third shift, and that damn dog barked all day. I tried to ask them to tie the dog up behind the garage, they politely told me FU.

Family #3 had 3 little kids,and ran a daycare and a mother who screamed all day. They did tie their dog up behind the garage but never cleaned up after it, on a hot day, the stench permiated the back yard.

After that we moved!

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok, let me reiterate - they do not and will not know that I am calling the city about this. If the cops come by when they're blocking my driveway, they will get a ticket because they are breaking the law. They won't know that I was the one who made the cops aware of that.

They may never know for certain, sure. However, they may put two and two together and figure out that you called the cops. I mean, it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out.

--------------------

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Orshee, since you said you don't care for confrontation, just leave a polite note on their door, something along the line of, "Hi, neighbor, so sorry we haven't had the chance to be formally introduced. Regretfully, however, I must tell you that you've seemed to have accidentally parked in front of my driveway a few times and I am afraid it makes it very difficult for me. Is there any reason why you can't park in front of your own driveway in the future? It would be much appreciated. Signed, Orshee"

Keep a copy of the note in case things escalate or you need to get police involved.

--------------------

Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my parents moved into their house, their neighbor was pretty darn inconsiderate. How much so?

He races sprint cars for a hobby. We have a driveway, while he does not (just the two concrete strips like older houses have). One day, Dad came home from work to find our neighbor neck-deep in rebuilding a motor, on our driveway. Did he ask? Nope.

I'd go the note route first, and then escalate things from there. No sense in calling the police immediately- I've always been slow to do that.

Adding to the bad neighbor stories, though, are the people who lived across the street when I was growing up. They raised ferrets, which is fine. Got rid of those, and started raising huskies. Huskies which barked constantly. Mom never did call the cops, but one of the neighbors across the street did.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orshee   E-mail Orshee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple:
They may never know for certain, sure. However, they may put two and two together and figure out that you called the cops. I mean, it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out.

They can't figure out how to park a car.
Posts: 130 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well either they are blocking your driveway because they're stupid in which case, sure they may not be smart enough to figure out who called the cops. Or they are blocking your driveway because they don't give a damn about their neighbours and know full well they are doing something wrong, in which case having the cops show up at their door is not going to go over well in the "let's all just get along" department. As they will know damn well who reported them!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say leave a note saying that you have noticed they are blocking your driveway, no need to mention "is there a reason..." . If that doesn't work then call the police, maybe block their car til the police can get there. Or even try blocking their car with out calling the police and then they'll have to come looking for you to let them out. Take that opprotunity to point out them blocking your driveway.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
niner domestic actual
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for niner domestic actual   E-mail niner domestic actual   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our city has a bylaw for parking too close to the end of a driveway. There has to be a 1,5 metre clearance which for our driveway is impossible. We quite often have cars parked blocking our driveway and we won't hesitate to call it in to bylaw (the whole point is that where our driveway is, there shouldn'tbe anyone parked there - 40.00 fine if they do). Check with your city bylaw on how far a car must be parked away from the end of a driveway.

If there is such a bylaw, then print off a copy of it and drop it in their mailbox. If they still continue to block your driveway, call the cops, have them ticketed and or towed.

--------------------
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
quote:

Well either they are blocking your driveway because they're stupid in which case, sure they may not be smart enough to figure out who called the cops. Or they are blocking your driveway because they don't give a damn about their neighbours and know full well they are doing something wrong, in which case having the cops show up at their door is not going to go over well in the "let's all just get along" department. As they will know damn well who reported them!
Yeah, they will know. And if it happens more than once they will be certain. Even though the cops can ticket for that, it is unusal in most towns for the police to randomly patrol neighborhoods for parking offences.

Why exactly are you scared to talk to them? You might be surprised to find that they take it well or at the least that they don't take it well, but park elseware anyway.

Honestly though if you want to start a feud, calling the cops before talking to them is a good start. You might be surprised what they find to complain about with your house.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no advice for you because this sounds like my neighbors. Nothing I've done has worked. I've called the cops on them for not just blocking our driveway, but actually parking IN our driveway. We've had to go over and ask them to move just so we could leave our own driveway. The person who had parked there was a person visiting them and she got all huffy and quite snotty about it. Apparently, walking twenty extra feet to park on the curb is too much for them.

They have the same length driveway as we do, and at the end of theirs (the garage part) it is double the size of ours as they have a two-car garage and we only have a single.

We have repeatedly asked them to stop parking in our driveway. I've been polite, I've been friendly. I gave up- I started calling the non-emergency number to the police and I've said, "I hate to call for this, because its so trivial..." and the officer who answered the phone said to me that "that's what we're here for". These neighbors stay up all night drinking (and who knows what else), being loud, screaming at each other, slamming doors (house and car), leaving kids unattended (toddlers even!) and basically being horrible people to live next to. They have junk in their yard- beat up old cars that don't run and literal garbage. They've gotten into a fight in the middle of the street with people across the street where police and ambulances were called.

I called the city a few times about the garbage and junk and they say there's an ordinance about it, but nothing ever gets done. I'm not the only neighbor who has called (there's nobody on the other side of them, but there are people across the street). The city people have had so many calls that they know the address as soon as you say: "I'm calling to complain about the house on OurStreet Name..." We live at the edge of the public golf course and even golfers have called. I even called the Humane Society for them leaving a puppy outside all day in the junky yard with no water or shelter in the 100+ degree heat.

A couple of months ago, I woke up at 130 AM and came downstairs to sleep on the sofa. I saw two cars in my driveway. I went outside and wrote down the license numbers and make of the vehicles and figured if they didn't leave by the time I would have normally woken up, I'd call the police. (I normally get up at 230 AM). About fifteen minutes later, I heard people outside talking loudly and laughing and so on. I took my German Shepherd outside with me (she doesn't like people) and I asked, "Hey, are these your cars?"

The two men responded that they were their cars. I said, "Could you move them please?"

And one said, "They *pointing to the neighbor's house* said it was okay to park here."

I replied: "This is MY house, not theirs, they don't make my house payments and its NOT okay to park here."

About twenty minutes later, they finally moved.

But, our neighbors don't care about their own property. They sure as hell aren't going to care about mine. I'm worried that if I confront them directly- they'll retaliate by damaging my property. Or if I somehow make my husband go confront them, they'll harm him. He's disabled and on blood thinners. All I need is for them to go ape-sh*t on him and seriously injure him or kill him. That's why I took my dog outside with me- I figured if they tried anything with me that early morning, she'd have protected me. But it isn't like I can stick her outside 24 hours a day, next to our driveway.

They still park in our driveway at night- thinking we don't know. I don't sleep through the night from health issues and I've seen them out there. Sometimes it is for a few minutes, other times they'll park at an angle and block part of my driveway. They've blocked the sidewalk (and our view for backing out) and they've parked in their yard.

On the local court website, there's a court date listed for the guy who owns the house. He's got a foreclosure notice and a hearing set for next week. So, maybe, just maybe, they'll have to move.

Wow, sorry this was so long.

ETA: They've lived here for just now three years. We've been here almost eleven years. I've only been calling the cops on them for the last year- give or take a few months.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's always best to first try to talk to them politely. They are probably more afraid of this confrontation then you are. The worst that can happen is that they don't take action; then you can escalate, but at least you tried.

At our old house, one time the neighbors (a couple of young single men) were having a loud party -- not really raucous, just a barbecue with a lot of people and music a little too loud. Well, I let it go during the day, it was July 4th, and they were usually pretty quiet, so I figured that once or twice a year they could let loose. But when it got late, and it was time to put the kids to bed, I went over there and asked them politely to turn the music down, and guess what -- they said ok, and turned the music down! Sometimes it works better just to ask first.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee

quote:
Why exactly are you scared to talk to them?

[snip]

You might be surprised what they find to complain about with your house.

So I shouldn't be scared of them, but I'd better watch myself or they'll try to get revenge? It doesn't make sense to tell me to approach these people in a friendly way or else they will do something awful to me.

FrogFeathers, I don't know how you deal with all that. One of the few downsides of having a house is that all of your neighbors are long-term - though it looks like there's a light at the end of the tunnel where your neighbors are concerned.

patriot1
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patriot1   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a problem like this with visitors to our neighbors across the street. We have a double wide drive-way, and then a half circle that connects to it, kind of a "decorative" driveway made of paving stones, but nonetheless used to park my mini-van. The problem was, visitors to our neighbors across the street would park there, right behind my van (we live on a dirt road, so there are no curbs, but still plenty of places to park other than that spot). If there were other vehicles parked in our driveway, I was blocked in, and would have to get either my parents to come out and move their vehicles so I could swing out through our driveway, or, if they were not home, move their vehcile(s), move mine, then move their's back.

A few times a note was left, nothing mean, just politely pointing out that they were blocking part of the driveway, and it was mentioned politely to the neighbors across the street (and they said they would mention it), but the same folks continued to park there. The last note left by then threatened to call the police (and a tow truck) if they contined to park there. Then we came up with a solution: we put a barricade up! Just a sawhorse with a sign that said something like "private driveway, do not block." They tried to park there anyways one day, I was outside and stood there and pointed at the sign, then my van. They got the hint I guess, and that along with the note threatening to have the police called, they never parked there again.

So, I guess what I am getting at is, could you put up some sort of barricade? Something simple that could be moved quickly for you to get in and out, but at the same time send a message to your neighbors? If you keep the barricade on your property, there should not be a problem (just keep it out of the city right-of-way by the street).

EDITED FOR SOME SPELLING

--------------------
"Pray....one for another." JAMES 5:16 NKJV

Posts: 26 | From: Wayne, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We live across the street from a rental. Last year the "couple" that lived there fought nightly, in their driveway, between midnight and 3am. Had all kinds of different cars pulling in their driveway, beeping the horn, woman would come out of the house, go back in, come back out to car and then go back in and car would leave (gee, what could THAT have been??). Final straw was the tug-of-war with their infant. Police were called and they moved out shortly thereafter.

Now there is a woman and (we think) her son. Woman entertains in their car port and her laugh is just frightening (think fat-lady-statue's laugh from the movie "Funhouse"). When she takes off every other weekend, the kid has parties. 15-20 high schoolers drinking, fist-fighting, NFBSKing with fireworks, racing up and down our street, screaming, laughing, parking in my yard. Last time one of them knocked over my mailbox.

Cops are seriously reluctant to do anything ... must not like being pulled away from Dunkin' Donuts.

It's frustrating as hell, but you can't make enemies of your neighbors. I have fears of that kid retaliating by breaking in my house during the day and hurting my pooch!

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Orshee,

You need to try saying something first -- if it's too intimidating to talk to them directly, then leave a note, nicely worded.

I think you are much better off by assuming that they are not total asshats. It may be, as others have said, that they know they are blocking your drive, but think it will be "for just a minute" or that you'll let them know if it's a problem. That is inconsiderate -- no doubt about it. But, you might be able to resolve the whole thing by just saying "Hey, please don't park across my driveway."

That is a lot better than having an ongoing feud with the police involved. Unless you've decided that there is a drama deficit in your life?

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orshee

quote:
So, I guess what I am getting at is, could you put up some sort of barricade?
I like the idea a lot, but the barricade would have to go on the street, so I can't. What I wish I had was a second car so I could leave a car there 24/7 - only without blocking my own driveway. That would block the space where they're trying to park. (I don't want to put my only car out there - first of all, it would be in front of their house, and second, that's what my driveway's for.) It would be amusing to see what they'd do then - no doubt it would be creative. They'd probably just start using my driveway.

I do like the idea of writing a nice note.

erwins, I am very lucky - I do have a drama deficit lately!

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
We live across the street from a rental. Last year the "couple" that lived there [q/b]

[Confused] Why the quotation marks? Did you think they were just pretending to be a couple?

quote:
[qb]Cops are seriously reluctant to do anything ... must not like being pulled away from Dunkin' Donuts.

Because, of course, if they're not responding to your calls about your neighbors, the only possible explanation is that they're sitting around eating doughnuts. Since, apparently, the rest of their jurisdiction is a paradise and there are no other crimes or problems for them to address. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy a wheel clamp. Then lose the key. A couple of hours with a hacksaw should teach them a lesson. [Smile]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by niner domestic actual:
Our city has a bylaw for parking too close to the end of a driveway. There has to be a 1,5 metre clearance which for our driveway is impossible. We quite often have cars parked blocking our driveway and we won't hesitate to call it in to bylaw (the whole point is that where our driveway is, there shouldn'tbe anyone parked there - 40.00 fine if they do). Check with your city bylaw on how far a car must be parked away from the end of a driveway.

If there is such a bylaw, then print off a copy of it and drop it in their mailbox. If they still continue to block your driveway, call the cops, have them ticketed and or towed.

I don't know how Canada is, but in the US, it's illegal to put things into mailboxes if it isn't actually mail. Otherwise, I agree with nda, but I'd put the note under the windshield wiper of the offending car. Actually, no, I would knock on the door and ask (nicely - as if they're doing me a favor) if they can move the car because I wouldn't want to accidentally damage it while trying to pull out of my own driveway. Even if I'm not going to be going anywhere. But if you don't want to talk to them, then go the note route.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
quote:
Originally posted by niner domestic actual:

I don't know how Canada is, but in the US, it's illegal to put things into mailboxes if it isn't actually mail. Otherwise, I agree with nda, but I'd put the note under the windshield wiper of the offending car. Actually, no, I would knock on the door and ask (nicely - as if they're doing me a favor) if they can move the car because I wouldn't want to accidentally damage it while trying to pull out of my own driveway. Even if I'm not going to be going anywhere. But if you don't want to talk to them, then go the note route.
Yeah, that's a good way to put it.

The note is less hostile than calling the police, but not as friendly as talking to them face to face. There is respect issue here too as some might find it difficult to find much respect for someone who is apparently two afraid to talk to them face to face.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
We live across the street from a rental. Last year the "couple" that lived there [q/b]

[Confused] Why the quotation marks? Did you think they were just pretending to be a couple?

Should have put "married couple" which IS what they claimed, but were not.
quote:
[qb]Cops are seriously reluctant to do anything ... must not like being pulled away from Dunkin' Donuts.

Because, of course, if they're not responding to your calls about your neighbors, the only possible explanation is that they're sitting around eating doughnuts. Since, apparently, the rest of their jurisdiction is a paradise and there are no other crimes or problems for them to address. [Roll Eyes]

I'm not the only person in my general neighborhood to complain about the lack of response/slow response time of the local police force. And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.

Edited to remove retaliatory snarkiness

--------------------

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you complained to the city council because they are apparently paying people to sit on their ass all day?

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.

We often see police cruisers, RCMP vehicles and paramedics trucks etc parked at local Tim Horton's. So? Seriously, where are they supposed to park when they are waiting for a call, picking up coffee for the road or taking a break? It really does sound like you are saying that your police are at Dunkin Donuts *instead* of doing their job.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not the only person in my general neighborhood to complain about the lack of response/slow response time of the local police force.

I didn't say you were. I suggested an alternative reason for it.

quote:
And as a matter of fact, there are usually 4 or 5 police cruisers parked at the Dunkin Donuts at any time in the evenings.
Most full-time workers, including cops, get breaks, including meal breaks.

quote:
Edited to remove retaliatory snarkiness
Your comment about the cops not wanting to leave Dunkin' Donuts was pretty darn snarky.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Look, I DO understand that they get breaks, get to eat dinner, etc.

But here's a "fer instance": Fourth of July, the neighbor behind us was shooting off fireworks (illegal in our county) and 99% of them were landing on my roof. I asked him nicely to stop or try to shoot them off in another direction. He told me to go back into my house like a good little girl and mind my own business. I got out my hose and watered down my roof (my house is old!). After 2 hours, I broke down and called the police non-emergency line, told the operator what was happening. I was told that the police "were busy" and not to expect a quick response. I hosed down my roof again, packed up my dog and went for a drive so that if my house burned down, we wouldn't be in it. I passed the Dunkin Donuts 2 or 3 mins. later and there were at least 10 cruisers there. I kept circling through my neighborhood to check on my house and it took over an hour before the police showed up at the neighbor's house.

--------------------

PsychoWoman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look, I DO understand that they get breaks, get to eat dinner, etc.

But here's a "fer instance": Fourth of July, the neighbor behind us was shooting off fireworks (illegal in our county) and 99% of them were landing on my roof. I asked him nicely to stop or try to shoot them off in another direction. He told me to go back into my house like a good little girl and mind my own business. I got out my hose and watered down my roof (my house is old!). After 2 hours, I broke down and called the police non-emergency line, told the operator what was happening. I was told that the police "were busy" and not to expect a quick response. I hosed down my roof again, packed up my dog and went for a drive so that if my house burned down, we wouldn't be in it. I passed the Dunkin Donuts 2 or 3 mins. later and there were at least 10 cruisers there. I kept circling through my neighborhood to check on my house and it took over an hour before the police showed up at the neighbor's house.

Could they have possibly been investigating a crime that was occurring/had occurred at DD? At least 10 cruisers at a scene is usually more than a coffee or dinner break.
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Fun with a 9MM, it's clear that you have had some frustrating experiences with neighbors and with the police. All I'm suggesting is that their failure to show up for what is clearly not an emergency does not necessarily mean that they are sitting on their asses eating doughnuts.

If, in fact, there is a genuine goldbricking problem with the cops in your jurisdiction, I second BeachLife's recommendation that you complain to the City Council.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten cruisers??? Our local Dunkin Donuts doesn't even have a parking lot big enough for ten cars at the same time.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of roof do you have?

--------------------

Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back on the OP, I would agree that trying to talk with the neighbors first is a good idea. What I would do, however, so that it wouldn't seem like I'm the only one who is having a problem, is talk with the other neighbors who have been similarly blocked in (you mentioned others having the same problem with these neighbors and/or their guests). Then I would go over, ring the doorbell, introduce myself as the designated rep for a group of neighbors (that way, it's not just me and, for me at least, it's easier to relay the message as coming from someone other than just me). Explain the problem and ask them to be more aware in the future of the driveways and not block them in. You could couch it that you are afraid that their car(s) will get hit by someone backing out.

If they are not there, leave a note in their door (not the mailbox, that's illegal) to the same effect.

If that doesn't work, then print up a bunch of notes to be put under the wipers, asking that they please not park there or the cops will have to be called. Distribute to the affected neighbors to be placed as needed. Then start calling the cops if it continues.

If all the neighbors are together on this, they cannot single out any one of you as being the bad guy. And you can always call the cops whenever they are parked illegally (even if they are blocking their own driveway, it's still illegal), it doesn't just have to be for your own driveway. Eventually, they will get caught.

What they may do is to start parking someplace else, blocking someone's driveway whom they previously hadn't blocked. All you have to do is give them the wiper notices as well, since the inconsiderate neighbors have no idea which neighbors you represented when you spoke with them.

And, as I said, if you have a Homeowners Association, you can dump a lot of this in their laps and have them contact the neighbors if the face-to-face talk doesn't work.

Good luck, it's always difficult dealing with the problems with neighbors. Hopefully, this will resolve itself just fine and the problems won't crop up again.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a good point about involving the other neighbors in a unified and organized way, Jocko.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ILS - I didn't know that. I'll have to look into Minneapolis laws.

The Minneapolis Code of Ordinances doesn't allow for private citizens to call for impoundment of vehicles on a public right of way. Impoundment must be "in response to an authorization from a police officer, meter monitor or agent authorized by the City of Minneapolis" (478.1041).

For your reference, here is the code that your neighbor is violating:
quote:
478.90. Prohibited in specified places. No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic-control device, in any of the following places:
[snip]
(b) In front of a public or private driveway or alley or within five (5) feet of the end of radius or side slope of any public or private driveway or alley with any street or highway;...

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages