snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Music in the grocery store (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Music in the grocery store
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My most annoying experience was video, not audio. I worked at Radio Shack for a while in college. Someone had broken in and stolen the laser-disk player but they were caught and it was returned. Unfortunately, when they took it the disk in it got scrached and wouldn't play past that point. That point was about 15 minutes from the end. The management decided this wasn't a problem for display purposes as they still had over an hour of the movie that would play on endless loop before abruptly ending and starting back at the start on an endless loop. Thus, I spent a few months of my life seeing all but the last 15 minutes of "The Last Starfighter" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
[flame]

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 16 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
LOL "Davy Crockett" and "Peggy Sue"!?!

Oh that's nothing! I heard 'Killer Queen' the other night! [Eek!] I like a lot of these songs, but hearing them as grocery store music is just....wrong/cheesey/insulting/insert word here. What next? Freebird? [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom and I tried a new restaurant a couple of months ago and we had a bad radio experience. It was lunchtime on a weekday and they were playing one of the local radio stations. Problem number one was the volume. It was much too loud, almost too loud to have comfortable conversation. Problem number two was the station itself. It was one of those top forty stations that keeps playing the same songs over and over. So the music was loud and annoying (not to mention inappropriate for the atmosphere. Who wants to eat while listening to "My Humps"?) Then the adverts would come on and they were even louder than the music.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sacramento airport plays what I guess you'd call "easy jazz" over their speaker system. Not only that, but somehow they pipe that same music into the plane once it's landed and parked at the gate. I'm sure many of you are thinking that sounds like it would be annoying, but actually I find it kind of soothing after a long flight. Now that I think about it, that's probably the intent.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!

We have been known to never shop or eat at places where the music is too loud. We have walked out when the manager won't turn down the music. Its an assult and an affront to my dignity, sanity, and humanity.

Ranger "Did I say I hate music in stores and restaurants" Dog

So is that a 'yes' or a 'no' for supermarket music Mr. Dog?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my HEB, they play good stuff. I've come around the corner and come face to face with someone else singing along with "Don't Go Back to Rockville". I've heard The Cure, Elvis Costello, Simple Minds, INXS, etc. I love it. (yes, Kev, it's the one on Koenig). My local market is a co-op run by neo-hippies. You'll hear any and everything there: reggae, new age, classical, oldies, country, you name it.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Several weeks ago, I was in Sears and heard a violin and strings instrumental version of "Born To Run." I couldn't help but wonder if Bruce knew about it...

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeowulfGirl:
Several weeks ago, I was in Sears and heard a violin and strings instrumental version of "Born To Run." I couldn't help but wonder if Bruce knew about it...

If he doesn't, it would be easy for him to find out. And since he gets paid no matter who covers the song, why would he care?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper:
. Problem number two was the station itself. It was one of those top forty stations that keeps playing the same songs over and over.

That would be why it is called top forty. It is the same forty songs over and over again with some recurrents and a few older songs thrown in. Ok, back on topic, The Econdofoods Grocery store in our town not only has the annoying music it also has the Food Network piped in on several TV's throught the store. And Speaking of resteraunts, we were in a mexican resteraunt a couple weeks ago and they had Sirius satelite radio piped in. They were palying the eighties channle so it was enjoyable to the four of us but it was a little too loud. We were also at a Subway in Escanaba Michigan That was also useing Sirius for their music programming. I know Sirius has a deal for buisiness so apparently some are taking advantage of that.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper:
. Problem number two was the station itself. It was one of those top forty stations that keeps playing the same songs over and over.

That would be why it is called top forty. It is the same forty songs over and over again with some recurrents and a few older songs thrown in.
This is true. But it's not technically top 40. It's a pop station that seems to only play eight or ten of the songs from the top 40. Forty songs would be a blessing.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In the Honey:
VS plays the same 8 songs over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over...

And 90% of the songs are just plain stupid.

Back in the early 80's, I discovered a VS in a mall in Houston and it seemed like a totally different place than it is now. Now, it's just a bright pink underwear store. Then it seemed like a whole other world, one that looked and smelled and felt and sounded pretty, (and I liked the clothes better too) and it always played nice classical music.

When a new VS opened here a few years ago I was so dissappointed to see that all the magic had just vanished *poof* and totally ordinary music, no more classical.

Each store is different. Some have classical, some have the horrible international pop and dance that I was referring to. Actually, three Christmases ago, the holiday soundtrack was specially done by Sting. That was nice.

The "big pink store" is the Queen of Hearts style (lots of pink and gold, fully carpeted). They're slowly re-doing all the stores to the new Backstage Sexy style, though not all will be as risque as the Vegas and Tyson stores are (honestly, the Tyson store was rique, but a lot classier than some people make it out to be, it was just in a totally wrong location), but they're definatly getting back to the "other world" feel, this time taking imagery from the runway show.

So all hope is not lost [Smile]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nordstrom at the King of Prussia mall has live piano music. Very nice [Smile]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think every Nordrtoms has live piano music. At least all the ones I have been in have had it.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I think every Nordrtoms has live piano music. At least all the ones I have been in have had it.

Same here. It's a very good distraction for my toddler, especially when the lady who plays kids songs for him is there.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My store's Christmas music starts Thanksgiving. Ugh, so annoying. Well, not as annoying as the frigging dancing and singing snowman they put in my department. Everytime someone walked by...

My store plays 70s-now. It's repetitive, but that's becauses I'm in the store 4-8 hours a day.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

DarkDan, this past season, we started our holiday music mid-October [Frown]

ETA and about the Nordstrom music: I've been in a few that didn't have any music, but it's entirly possible that I was just there on an "off" day.

--------------------

NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to call the Texas Dept of Health and Human Services today. I was on hold for about 20 minutes. The hold music was some sort of elevator music -- instrumental, and not of any song I recognize. The worse part was that it was the same thing over and over. I was so grateful when someone finally picked up.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mochrie99
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mochrie99   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mochrie99   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhh....muzak memories....A couple years ago, I was at a local restaurant with my father. For a good half-hour to 45 minutes while we were there eating, I heard the same bloody song repeated over and over and over again -- a muzak version of "Beauty And The Beast". Methinks there was a foul-up with their CD player, or maybe the restaurant owners just realllllllly love that song. I recall looking up at the ceiling shaking my head in amusement thinking, "I'm pretty sure I heard this song already", while my father sat there laughing at me.

Fun times.

Mochrie "Tales as old as time....." 99

Posts: 80 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just at Ikea with the two younger ones when they had to go to the bathroom. They had some innocuous music playing when all of a sudden, a woman's voice cuts in VERY loudly, advertising their restaurant and "Sweden Shop." DD (5 yo) yelped in fright and I thought she was going to fall in; DS (6 yo) just stood there looking puzzled for a second and then bellowed to the ceiling, "We're right here, use your quiet voice!" [lol] I laughed so hard I had to go, too.

ETA sense and a better icon.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes. Those announcements. As I said above British supermarkets do not play 'muzak' anymore (apart from a local Asda which plays its annoying television ad jingle), but we do have announcements.

Tesco's: Will all multi-skilled staff please go to the checkouts.

Translated this means, there are long queues at the checkouts so buy some more things to make your wait worthwhile.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Attention K-Mart shoppers! There is a blue-light special in the jockstrap dept! Huh huh!"

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked mall retail, I worked for one of the (many) Limited companies. They all had the same Christmas tapes. So, when you'd leave your store and head to Bath and Body works, the song would pick up where it left off in Lane Bryant, or Victoria's Secret, or Limited, or Limited too, or Abercrombie, or Structure....about half of this mall was made up of Limited Company stores, it was like you couldn't escape that set of carols.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
At my HEB, they play good stuff. I've come around the corner and come face to face with someone else singing along with "Don't Go Back to Rockville". I've heard The Cure, Elvis Costello, Simple Minds, INXS, etc. I love it. (yes, Kev, it's the one on Koenig). My local market is a co-op run by neo-hippies. You'll hear any and everything there: reggae, new age, classical, oldies, country, you name it.

I can't say I've ever noticed what music was playing at that HEB. I'm usually just trying to get out as fast as possible before I hurt someone.

The Fry's here has a player grand piano which you can only really hear when you are fairly near to it. It really just makes me laugh because it seems so forced because prior to it being a Fry's the location was a piano store and the sign on the front of the building was a huge two dimensional representation of a grand piano with the name of the store on it. Fry's left the sign and just put "Fry's" on it. I can just see the corporate meeting where they discussed this:

Bigwig #1: "Well, it will be really expensive to take down that giant piano sign."
Bigwig #2: "OK, well just put "Fry's" on it and then put a player piano in the middle of the store to tie it all together. And I guess make the coffee shop kind of fancy looking, like a concert hall."
Bigwig #1: "Yeah, I guess that will work."

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:
When I worked mall retail, I worked for one of the (many) Limited companies. They all had the same Christmas tapes. So, when you'd leave your store and head to Bath and Body works, the song would pick up where it left off in Lane Bryant, or Victoria's Secret, or Limited, or Limited too, or Abercrombie, or Structure....about half of this mall was made up of Limited Company stores, it was like you couldn't escape that set of carols.

Lane Bryant, Limited Too, and Abercrombie have since split off to become their own companies (and Structure merged with Express to become Express Men).

I've noticed each store having their own set of holiday music since then.

--------------------

Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know they split, which is why I said "when I worked mall retail" in the past tense. I'm aware that things have changed, and was just offering an amusing anecdote.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:
I know they split, which is why I said "when I worked mall retail" in the past tense. I'm aware that things have changed, and was just offering an amusing anecdote.

I just ment that now there's just that many more horrific holiday soundtracks.

I swear Limted Brands Inc. has a "horrible music must be played" rule.

--------------------

callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What annoys me is the TVs at the canadian tire. There are about 20 of them set up around the store in different sections, each one playing the made-for-TV commercial for whatever product is in that section. But each TV only plays one 30 sec add, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IanKunX
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IanKunX     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work at Wal-Mart, and we have 'Wal-Mart TV Network'. Which consists of ads and 30-second clips of music videos. The videos are usually around for a week to two weeks, the ads vary.

The songs are sometimes good, sometimes horrible(JESUS TAKE THE WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL).

The ads are usually god-awful but short lived.

It wouldn't all be so bad if it didn't repeat about every fifteen minutes.

For about... A month and a half or more now, there's been this horrible ad for Children's Miracle Network. With this little waif talking about her friend getting sick and spending a year in the hospital and it's just so exploitive and cheesy and it's frigging GLURGE. X_x;;;

Then there's the Dove Self Esteem Fund ad with 'True Colours' which has made me hate that song even more than I already did.

The absolute worst of all, though, is the current never-ending Oreo ads. There's two of them. Both feature a bunch of completely talentless people singing in a variety of annoying styles about Oreo cookies. ARGH. (Including a woman playing a saw while a ventriloquist sings. GOD MAKE IT STOP)

I usually don't notice music otherwise. But I've heard those Oreo ads several hundred times now, and I HATE THEM SO HARD.

...Though once I couldn't help noticing that the Chinese restraunt I was in was playing Beethoven's Ode To Joy. On Chinese instruments. My aching ears. :<

Posts: 31 | From: Northern California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Genetic Mishap
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Genetic Mishap     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't agree with forcing radio and television on captive audiences. Period. Unless you're in a sports bar or something. I don't like tvs/music playing in a store, restaurant, or class.

If it's in my power, I usually turn it off for them.

Just last night me and my mom went to this very small hamburger joint with three very large, very loud televisions. All on CMT. I could only manage to turn one off without my mom noticing.

--------------------
Genetic Mishap...when Darwin's Theory meets Murphy's Law.

Posts: 47 | From: Lamar, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked in Fossil, we had a system that could only play the music the HQ sent us, and we couldn't get the music to play on our personal music players (I liked the music, believe it or not!)

I've noticed more stores that are targeted towards the college crowd at my school to be playing XM. Actually, I've noticed a LOT more stores are now playing XM.

XM! XM!! XM!!!

/XM whoring

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my local Publix supermarkets plays The Ramones, The Who, Janis Joplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, etc. over their speaker system. I like it, but another Publix, less than a mile away, plays what I call "Delilah" music, only without Delilah After Dark talking softly and annoyingly between the Michael Bolton songs.

Publix A, in addition to rock & roll, also has lots of things for sale every week, a clean environment, good lighting, and actual friendly people (it's staffed with college kids, so I can relate to them).

Publix B, which opened last year, has horrible lighting that makes me feel a bit nauseated. Nothing is ever on sale. Ever. The cashiers and staff are nasty, and the floorplan is completely unlike any Publix I've been in, so I get disoriented whenever I go in there. Plus I can't stand Michael Bolton. This Publix was built to handle overflow from the popular Publix A, but I'll gladly drive another mile down the road for a nicer environment.

Speaking of forcing TV on captive audiences, I was recently in the Atlanta airport and CNN was on the TV screens in the waiting areas by the gates. It was turned up so loud my mother and I couldn't concentrate on anything else, and I could barely drown it out by putting on my headphones. I don't think it would have been so bad had the volume not been so loud, or if they had fewer TV screens and a quiet place for people to relax and not be assaulted with images and sound.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work for a huge company, and each location puts its own hold music cds in. Mostly you get classical, jazz or something else light. Unfortunately, they put in a system for us to use an 800 number for conference calls. It has one hold song, a fairly upbeat instrumental piece, that plays over and over and over and over. The SAME song. And it plays until the leader activates the call. I often have 3 or 4 conference calls in a day. I may hear that one song for up to 40 minutes in a day. It's torture.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shop at Target, I know for a fact they do not have Muzak. I worked there for 6 years. During the holidays people told me how grateful they were not to have to listen to Xmas music.

Kathy

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kismet:
I work for a huge company, and each location puts its own hold music cds in. Mostly you get classical, jazz or something else light. Unfortunately, they put in a system for us to use an 800 number for conference calls. It has one hold song, a fairly upbeat instrumental piece, that plays over and over and over and over. The SAME song. And it plays until the leader activates the call. I often have 3 or 4 conference calls in a day. I may hear that one song for up to 40 minutes in a day. It's torture.

I've found that Disney has some of the most obnoxious, bang-your-head-against-the-wall hold music. Usually it's for something that's coming out soon (I didn't mind being on hold when Brother Bear was out), but when there's nothing REALLY exciting coming out, it's obnoxious music, that tends to loop. The only thing worse than riding "It's a Small World" is hearing it over your phone- REPEATEDLY.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Wegmans grocery store plays different kinds of music for different times of day. I guess it depends on what age group shops that day/time.

But I have a fool-proof, sure-fire way of knowing they're about to have an announcement: a song I really like comes on. Every Single Time. Ah, well.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages