snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Music in the grocery store (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Music in the grocery store
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A minor annoyance in the larger scheme of things, but is it really necessary to have piped-in music in the frigging grocery store? In the 70s and 80s it was Muzak, now it's oldies. My god, are people so pathetic that they have to be constantly entertained? [Roll Eyes] If I wanted to listen to music while grocery shopping, I would've brought some of my own plus headphones. No, hearing Buddy Holly sing 'Peggy Sue' followed by 'The Ballad of Davy Crockett' does not put me in a buying mood!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The store I go to for groceries plays classical...and I find it very enjoyable actually. I do see how oldies could get obnoxious while shopping, though.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having music playing paces people, and they probably have a mix that causes people to walk on average a certain pace, so that they have x seconds looking at things to create impulse purchases. The big stores put a lot of money into getting people through the store at the optimal pace.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Music doesn't pace me. I travel to my own drummer. That being said, just be thankful you don't live in Oklahoma, where every other piece of canned music is by [Eek!] Reba.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL "Davy Crockett" and "Peggy Sue"!?!

One store I shop at targets the Latino community. The music playing throughout the store? Why, 60's Motown, of course.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really care when I'm shopping, but it started to get annoying when I worked in a grocery store and realized they keep playing the same songs over and over and over...

quote:
In the 70s and 80s it was Muzak, now it's oldies.
Just to nitpick this a little, though the word "muzak" has entered common usage to mean "elevator music", the Muzak company is still a major providor of the grocery store music you hear today.

Near where I used to live, there was a Big Lots and a Food Lion next door to each other. They were apparently on the same Muzak feed, as when I would leav one store and go to the other I'd hear the same song in both stores.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilvorMoon
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilvorMoon   E-mail SilvorMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't really care when I'm shopping, but it started to get annoying when I worked in a grocery store and realized they keep playing the same songs over and over and over...
Yeah, it's been years since I've worked in retail, but from time to time, I'll still hear a song and exclaim "This is Rose's music!" Meaning, of course, that it was one of about a dozen songs that got repeated every day. It might have been nice if the musical selection actually had been selected to keep people moving at a certain pace - I think this music was selected to put people to sleep.
Posts: 67 | From: Farmville, Virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be worse: the Albertson's near where I live has TELEVISION on screens visible in all the checkout lines! TV! BLEAH! Soap Operas! Ads! Sports! Ads! Cowboy Movies! Ads!

I've complained to the management: it's incredibly annoying and distracting. And, from his point of view, risky, as he has no control at all over content. If there's a nasty political ad (which there ALWAYS is during campaign season!) he risks alienating huge numbers of his customers.

(The Jiffy Lube, up the street, has "pseudo-tv" on a monitor in the waiting room: it's got packaged programming specifically tailored to the locale. Ads...for Jiffy Lube...mixed with general interest car info stuff. I don't like it much...but I don't utterly hate it either.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the Sobey's near us because it plays the oldies. Of course my kids are not nearly as thrilled as I because, and I just don't understand this, but they don't appreciate mom singing along to Little Deuce Coupe. Go figure [Wink]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To all that is mighty in the universe I beseach you...please do not let this practice enter the minds of the grocery store marketing bods here. <<< shudders >>>.

It's bad enough suffering the endless Chrstmas tunes in shops over the festive season. It irritates me no end but at least it only lasts for a month or so.
As to wether we are influenced by what music we are played I was a bit surprised this year to hear a rendition of Away in a Manger being played in an Ann Summers store and found myself wondering what the impact would be on the women rifling through the dildo racks. I experienced it as somewhat incongruous but I doubt it had any impact on what I purchased.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silas brought up the "pseudo-TV" thing which I actually find more irritating than the music thing. I guess it really has more to do with the fact that I already have trouble with people trying to understand things that I say without some stupid TV going "BLARGHETH TEH HDTV!!1" at almost full volume. It makes it nearly impossible for me to buy games at places like Walmart because you have to tell the clerk which game you want so they can get it.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
Just to nitpick this a little, though the word "muzak" has entered common usage to mean "elevator music", the Muzak company is still a major providor of the grocery store music you hear today.

Near where I used to live, there was a Big Lots and a Food Lion next door to each other. They were apparently on the same Muzak feed, as when I would leav one store and go to the other I'd hear the same song in both stores.

(1) I've noticed stores being on the same feed, too.

(2) The shopping mall near me appears to do an "oldies" feed, while the McDonald's near me does a more generic selection in which out of three songs, one might be a 60s-70s hit, one an 80s hit, and one more recent. They also tend to be more mainstream "safe" songs (no rap, no heavy metal, no offensive lyrics) that might be palatable to people of different age groups. Another McDonald's in my town plays the more traditional "muzak" (instrumental music).

(3) And once at McDonald's (the one with the more generic songs) they shut the music off just because two middle-aged women complained about it.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My local grocer recently started playing music in his shop -- I'd hesitate calling it background because it's far too loud and you can't really ignore it. It definitely sounds like his own selection.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked at meijers I don't think I could have handled it without the music. It was boring and repetative, but it gave me something to distract my mind while checking the prices on hundreds of items. We also tended to sing along with them frequently.

Christmas, on the otherhand, was horrid. We used to fantasize about bringing guns just so we could attack the speakers. A week or two of it would have fine, but it seemed to start earlier every year.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't heard 'canned' music in British supermarkets for many, many years. People found it annoying so the supermarkets stopped playing it. One supermarket, Asda, which is owned by an American company (Wal-Mart, you may have heard of them), occasionally plays the jingle from its television adverts. As a result I rarely shop there.

Recently the chairman of Asda issued a 'profits warning' saying how badly his company was doing. I wonder if the two are related.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
One supermarket, Asda, which is owned by an American company (Wal-Mart, you may have heard of them), occasionally plays the jingle from its television adverts. As a result I rarely shop there.

I rarely went to ASDA because the closest one to where I lived was Hatfield and I don't like Hatfield. But also I didn't go to ASDA because I hated the adverts. Do they still have people slapping their back pocket so you can hear the jingle of all that money they're saving?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christie, I'd be there singing along as well. I can handle the high harmony if you want the main part

glisp"walk a Thunderbird like it's standin still"42

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
infoseeker822
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 500 posted      Profile for infoseeker822   E-mail infoseeker822   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:

[/qb]

I rarely went to ASDA because the closest one to where I lived was Hatfield and I don't like Hatfield. But also I didn't go to ASDA because I hated the adverts. Do they still have people slapping their back pocket so you can hear the jingle of all that money they're saving? [/QB][/QUOTE]

if you think the ads for ASDA are annoying. you should see the ones for wal-mart in the states.

they have this smiley face that flys around in the store lowering the bloody prices on everything.

cute the first time around, but not after seeing it so many times.

something to think about:
if Wal-mart keeps lowering prices, why aren't things free yet?

(i also don't shop there on pinciple, Wal-mart is a non-union company, that's why everything is so cheap.)

Posts: 39 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
One supermarket, Asda, which is owned by an American company (Wal-Mart, you may have heard of them), occasionally plays the jingle from its television adverts. As a result I rarely shop there.

I rarely went to ASDA because the closest one to where I lived was Hatfield and I don't like Hatfield. But also I didn't go to ASDA because I hated the adverts. Do they still have people slapping their back pocket so you can hear the jingle of all that money they're saving?
Oh yes. They still trot those awful ads out.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wal*Mart has retired the smiley face.

Not that it helps.

And the music in most supermarkets (at least in the US) is very carefully researched and programmed to cater to the various shopper demographics, which vary throughout the day.

Check it.

Just in case that link didn't work

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you think that American grocery stores play bad music, just hope that you never are exposed to the horror that are grocery and electronics stores in Japan.

Imagine the same 14-second advertising jingle featuring a high-pitched childlike voice and played at blasting volume over the speakers, repeated over...and over....and over....and over....for as long as you are in the store.

Places like Bic Camera, Deodeo Electronics, Yodobashi Camera, and Yamada Denki should be charged with crimes against humanity for the the pain they inflict on their customers.

Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss Revco. All of our Revco's are now Eckards, and Eckards doesn't have Revco Radio...Anyway.

And heh--I made a CD for my mother, Right after the Buddy Holly songs, I have...The Ballad of Davy Crockett (And after that it's Johnny Horton, I don't know why, I just do).

I hate the walmart jingle thing. It almost sounds like a real song...

I can't remember if the Food Lion where I shop has music, the place I work doesn't. Which is good, because I'd just get distracted. (Because I'm a moron)

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nobody Important
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Nobody Important   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago at Christmas, I was in Dollar Tree and they were playing William Huang's Christmas CD.

I got such a headache, I asked the cashier if the music could be changed and she said it was on a "loop" and she couldn't do anything about it. I thought I would get a migraine before I could get out of the store.

Posts: 482 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The dollar store nearest me plays local radio and it varies depending on which cashiers are there...

OH! I noticed that the walmart nearest me plays more country music...and the one nearest the mall plays more pop.

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At work we have a nifty little box under the counter that is kind of like a huge automatically-updated MP3 player. You can set it to play all the songs from a "channel," a particular CD or artist, or randomize the entire selection process. If a customer asks to hear a new song from a band or if the workers are sick of hearing something, any of us can just hit the buttons and pick out what we want to hear.

Elsewhere in the mall, this is not the case. From what I've been told, most of the other stores rely on what I think is called DX Radio. I noticed that I would hear the same song coming from the mall speakers at closing time every night. It's super-repetitive and workers in stores that use it have no control over the songs played.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
VS plays the same 8 songs over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over...

And 90% of the songs are just plain stupid.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually dont mind the background music in the store where I mostly buy. BECAUSE its oldies.
The background music in the hospital where I work now, however.. Its soft instrumental versions of popular songs; Elevator music.
My best experience was while I was employed at a store myself: Late at night, when hardly a customer came in they decided one night to switch to Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
quote:
quote:

Oh yes. They still trot those awful ads out.
Christie, I share your views on Hatfield, living only a few miles away. It is interesting that in the United States that Wal-Mart had the smiley face lowering prices because Asda also had a version of those stupid ads. Their worst one was when they had an annoying woman with red hair going round the shop talking to staff. No wonder they are not doing very well.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading this thread I now have the ASDA theme tune stuck in my head. [Mad]

My local supermarket is the Co-op; went in there last night and the music was Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
It could be worse: the Albertson's near where I live has TELEVISION on screens visible in all the checkout lines! TV! BLEAH! Soap Operas! Ads! Sports! Ads! Cowboy Movies! Ads!

In the waiting room of my general practitioner there's a huge flatscreen TV showing "waiting room TV"! It's soothing "dolphins playing under water" clips, travel tips and ads for haemorrhoids salve...

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They play music in Asda still - nothing too offensive and I occasionally find myself singing along. It seems to be "Asda Radio" however: I don't know if it's a loop tape.

In my six week stint in the hell that is Kiwk Save, I was subjected to more nasty piped so-called music than i ever want to hear again. My me want to perforate my own eardrums.

I used to work in a cafe that playe the same soft rock "love" song CD over and over again, and nothing else. Whenever I hear a song off that CD even now I shudder - I'm Not In Love by 10CC, Tears in Heaven by Eric Claption, that Two Out of Three Ain't Bad thing by ?Meatloaf? [Mad] ARGH!!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In the Honey:
VS plays the same 8 songs over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over...

And 90% of the songs are just plain stupid.

Back in the early 80's, I discovered a VS in a mall in Houston and it seemed like a totally different place than it is now. Now, it's just a bright pink underwear store. Then it seemed like a whole other world, one that looked and smelled and felt and sounded pretty, (and I liked the clothes better too) and it always played nice classical music.

When a new VS opened here a few years ago I was so dissappointed to see that all the magic had just vanished *poof* and totally ordinary music, no more classical.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!Ban the music in stores and especially restaurants!

We have been known to never shop or eat at places where the music is too loud. We have walked out when the manager won't turn down the music. Its an assult and an affront to my dignity, sanity, and humanity.

Ranger "Did I say I hate music in stores and restaurants" Dog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We recently had lunch in a Chinese restaurant.

The music being played in the background was 1950s-era country-Western.

But sung by people with Chinese accents.

Brad "Clazy...for carin' about youuuuu..." from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once paused in the produce section of Kroger to ascertain that it was indeed the Ramones I was hearing on the sound system. Yep. The Ramones. Haven't heard them since.

Bettie "Hey ho, let's go...Krogering" Page Turner

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages