snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » HPV Question?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV Question?
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it true that a huge majority of people are infected with HPV? And is it also true that men cannot be tested for such an infection?

Friend of mine told me this.

Just curious.

-Mike

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says:
quote:
How common is HPV?
At least 50% of sexually active people will get HPV at some time in their lives. Every year in the United States (U.S.), about 6.2 million people get HPV. HPV is most common in young women and men who are in their late teens and early 20s.

They also says this:
quote:
Is there a test for HPV in men?
At the moment, there is no test approved to detect HPV in men. However, there are ways to detect the most common problem caused by HPV in men, genital warts. Genital warts are usually diagnosed by visual inspection.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A director of a public health clinic visited my high school last year and stated/estimated that 60% of all people get HPV during their lives. Most people who get the disease won't even show symptoms of HPV. From what I've heard and read I sometimes wonder if it can't be spread through casual contact, and not through just sexual means.

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
is an hpv test part of the yearly exam? Anyone know? I don't recall offhand what they test for, besides actual cervical cancer. If it's not part of the package, I think I want to get it this year, if I can.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the pap smear only tests for changes in cervical cells. When I went to Planned Parenthood for exams, they suggested it but I think usually you'd have to ask for it. I just had it done at my regular doctor and it was about $80 without insurance just for the HPV test.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
No, the pap smear only tests for changes in cervical cells. When I went to Planned Parenthood for exams, they suggested it but I think usually you'd have to ask for it. I just had it done at my regular doctor and it was about $80 without insurance just for the HPV test.

Changes in the cells of the cervix can indicate HPV though. Some doctors do include the test with PAPs but some don't. It would definitely be worth asking LLO. My Dr. gave me one included with a PAP back in 1992 or 1993 before they even started talking about how dangerous it could be.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think most changes in cervical cells are caused by HPV, but because you can have HPV for years before the changes start, it's better to get tested for that as well as the regular pap smear.

Now that I think about it though, what do they do when they know you've got HPV? Say they've found you have a strain that can lead to cervical cancer, but you don't have any precancerous cells. Do they make you come in for a pap smear every few months or do they go ahead and remove what they think is the infected area?

--------------------

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So that means if you've had sex with more then two people in yourl ife your odds of getting it are pretty high? Or is it only in unprotected sex?

--------------------

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Bleu:
So that means if you've had sex with more then two people in yourl ife your odds of getting it are pretty high? Or is it only in unprotected sex?

If by protected sex you mean a barrier method such as the condom/femidom, then I would suppose that would give the same level of protectection against HPV as is does against AIDS or other STD's - debatable but better than nothing.

As to an earlier question by Dreams of thinking machines regarding casual transmission it seems likely that HPV could be transmitted to the genitals from another source.

DS had a persistant wart on his face, and another on his hand. The treatment for his facial wart wasn't very effective, until the doctor pointed out that he has likely transmitting the virus back to his face from his hand.

I've hear it said that herpes can be transmitted from the mouth to the genitals during oral sex, so I can believe it's possible to transmit one of the wart virii from the hand to the genitals.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had HPV in my early 20's. It was detected via an abnormal pap that revealed "precancerous cells" that were subsequently removed - unfortunately not before I had infected soon DH (at that time he was still SO). While I have not had a recurrance, DH gets a wart every 2-3 years or so that needs to be removed (oowie!). I'd feel bad about giving it to him, but in my defense, the doctor that diagnosed me told me that it was not an STD. [Eek!] The pap I was taking was in order to get on bc pills so we could stop using condoms. Had the doc known what the hell he was talking about, we would have continued with condoms, and DH likely would never have been infected.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

While condoms help, they're not as effective at preventing HPV (particularly genital warts) and herpes transmission as they are at preventing HIV transmission. That's because the infections can be present in places other than on the penis and in the vagina. A condom won't necessarily cover the affected area.

--------------------

Mickey Blue

Wow, something new to fear in the dating world [Smile]

Oh well, I have used protection every single time I've had sex (by which I mean a condom) and I don't plan to stop having sex all togather, so I figure I'll just use common sense, caution, and then I guess leave the rest up to chance, like all the other people do.

--------------------

Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had sex with one person in my life, and I have it.

As far as cell-changing or high risk HPV goes, if you are diagnosed by some means other than abnormal cells on the cervix, I'm not aware of any treatment. The treatment, as stands, is to remove the abnormal cells. No abnormal cells, nothing to remove. The reason, or rather, one of the reasons that so many people are symptom free for so many years is that your body is capable of fighting the virus on its own. If or when, for whatever reason, it fails to do so, pre-cancerous cells can be the result.

Rhoadie, there are many different strains of the virus, the ones that cause changes to cervical cells are not neccessarily the ones that cause warts. And, as mentioned, HPV can be transmitted even when condoms are used correctly and consistently. It requires only skin to skin contact, and not an exchange of fluids.

I was diagnosed via abnormal pap smear. I had a follow up pap immediately, followed by a colposcopy and a LEEP. (Translated into English, they poked and prodded and removed part of my cervix.) The follow up was pap smear every 3 months for a year, every six months for a year and a half, then yearly.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this makes me never want to have sex again.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mindy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindy   Author's Homepage   E-mail mindy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have it and I was not sexually active. Lots of people do have it. Its very common.
Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mindy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindy   Author's Homepage   E-mail mindy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have it and I was not sexually active. Lots of people do have it. Its very common.
Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Bleu:

If by protected sex you mean a barrier method such as the condom/femidom, then I would suppose that would give the same level of protectection against HPV as is does against AIDS or other STD's - debatable but better than nothing.[...]
I think this point needs reiteration: HPV spreads through skin contact, especially in warm, moist places. It can spread through any oral or genital contact. Some studies have shown condoms to be ineffective against HPV but more recent studies give evidence that they are fairly effective. In any case, as long as there is prolonged and/or moist skin contact, the disease can spread.
quote:
Originally posted by mindy:

Not sure what you mean but just to be sure: In this case, "sexually active" means having sex, not being promiscuous.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candiru from strangers:
Reading this makes me never want to have sex again.

I think that if I feared everything I ever heard could harm me I would be resigned to suicide. Medical news is a double-edged sword. You are given overly cautious information to avoid succumbing to unmentioned problems and side-effects. But on the other hand you live in fear of everything.

Plus sex is a NFBSKing good time. [lol]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MapleLeaf, you're right. If I get scared of everything that has a possible negative outcome I'd better stop riding in cars, walking up and down stairs and taking showers (I could slip!). I suppose that like everything caution will do me good.

I think the only difference is that those things are needed, and I have no other way to get the job done. I know if there was some small, easy to use battery operated thing that could get me where I needed to go or make me clean I'd use cars and showers less. [lol]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candiru from strangers:
if there was some small, easy to use battery operated thing that could get me where I needed to go...

Well, there's the solution to your fear of contracting a STD. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, I think that was candy's point. You can use a vibrator in lieu of sex. You can't use a handy battery-powered device to get clean or get to work.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always the vaccine. I'm not certain if it does any good if you already have HPV, though.

I plan on getting it soon. Hopefully my insurance covers it.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
Rhoadie, there are many different strains of the virus, the ones that cause changes to cervical cells are not neccessarily the ones that cause warts.

Interesting. I didn't realize this. Thank you.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can abnormal cervical cells be caused by something else? My mother had precancerous cells removed a number of years ago, and she became upset when I asked if she might have had HPV, therefore passing it on to me at birth.

Yeah, I know, it was probably kind of stupid of me to bring it up.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

quote:
99 percent of cervical cancers are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV).
So there's a 1% chance she didn't get it from HPV.

--------------------

Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it was stupid to bring up...

My mom never realised that is what she had until the commercials and such brought HPV into the limelight. She'd had one slightly abnormal pap and a wart removed, but back then they didn't say anything about what it was. It's quite likely I contracted it from her at birth, as well as my sister (though admittedly mine could have come from my first sexual partner, who was very promiscuous.) I didn't know I was a carrier- my oldest child had rectal warts and we were at a loss how she contracted them. Unfortunately we ran into a very over-zealous medical resident one night at the ER when we had her in for a severe UTI who decided it must have been sexual abuse and it wasn't until the ordeal was over that someone off-handedly mentioned that I might be a silent carrier.

Now it's been confirmed that I have the virus, as I had a lesion on my cervix of pre-cancerous cells that had to be removed via a LEEP procedure, and I have to go back for another pap as there was another abnormal smear after this. It's pretty scary, since I have to wonder if reoccurance might mean early stage cervical cancer.

With the vaccine becoming available and knowing the virus/ cancer link I think it's absolutely imperative this become an open topic. It's incredibly prevelent and should not carry a stigma- we need to be encouraging women to be keeping a close eye on their reproductive health.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fantine

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also get genital warts from skin-to-skin contact with someone who has warts on his hands. This I know, I'm sorry to say, from personal experience. The strain of HPV I got is not any of the types linked to cervical cancer, luckily. I've had a couple of painful outbreaks of warts, but from what I understand, the kind I got is usually overcome by the immune system within a year. It's been six months since my last outbreak, and my husband never got them at all (except the original warts, on his hands).

--------------------
"I was raised to be charming, not sincere."
--Cinderella's Prince, Into the Woods, by Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 54 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
quote:
99 percent of cervical cancers are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV).
So there's a 1% chance she didn't get it from HPV.
She had abnormal cells- not cancer, there is a big difference.

cite

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Moonfall said her mother had precancerous cells, which I understand to mean that she would have had cervical cancer if the cells weren't excised.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages