snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Sexy Halloween Costumes Rile Parents (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sexy Halloween Costumes Rile Parents
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 99 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea of sexy Halloween is not necessarily a new one. For years, Halloween parties have had their share of hot nurses and seductive pirates. But these are parties for adults, right? Not anymore.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1016sexy-halloween16-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's okay, my kids are going as Anime characters (and no, not the hentai kind...) in outfits they are making themselves.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My youngest is Barney... again.

Third year in a row.

My eldest used the costume three times, middle daughter used it twice - and now this. Best $20 we've ever spent!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whatever happened to being ghosts, and just homemade costumes?" wondered Jennifer Dinova of Brunswick, N.Y., who was shopping for her daughters, ages 4 and 7.
If you have children that young and you choose to go shopping with them how can you complain about children not making costumes ? It isn't spontaneous, it involves adult guidance.

The article raises some good points, but that particular women's attitude depresses me. So many people who think everything is someone else's responsibility - even how their children are being raised apparently.

(Possibly I'm being unfair but I have seen too much bad parenting in the last couple of days)

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The costumes are going the same way as children's clothing. It's gettting harder to find clothes for little girls that don't look like they should be on a hooker.

I understand that they must sell, but I can't figure out why anyone thinks it's a good idea to make costumes for a 6 or 7 year old that has a bare midriff, micro-mini skirt or fishnets.

Even if it's only for one day, little girls should not look like street walkers.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed that costume pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer every year. Seems like all the retail costumes are made by the exact same company, the only thing that varies is the price tag depending on where you buy them from.

I think girls get shafted on Halloween costumes. Everything is either "pretty" or "sexy." Whatever happened to "scary?" I was always a witch or a vampire - now even those are all pretty pretty princess-ed up to the point that only the teeth really tell you what the kid is supposed to be.

You can't even get decent animal costumes for anyone past toddler age. Everything consists of a leotard, tail, and a headband with ears. My sister (16) has been looking for an Elmo costume. She dresses up to hand out candy to the little kids, but nobody makes Elmo costumes past toddler sizes.

I think I'm just going to continue with my American McGee inspired costumes with Red Riding Hood this year. Nothing says sexy like a cloak and a bloody machete.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine went as a flasher. Cheap brown coat, shoes, socks, skin colored underwear with some marker artwork, a lollipop and nothing else.

It was fun seeing him try to flag down a taxi...

Scary or sexy, depending on what you're into.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read that when Jimmy Kimmel Live had a Halloween party a few years ago, Sarah Silverman went dressed as "Sexy Hitler."
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The internet seems to be the best place to get costumes nowadays. Of course you have to plan it out a bit more to make sure it's delivered by Halloween.

I did a quick search for adult elmo costumes and came up with a few handmade ones on ebay and one that you could rent. Seems mighty strange to me.

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that bothers me about the sexy costumes is that they're never original! (I'm talking about the ones for adults, here, not the ones for kids. Kids should not be dressing sexy, thankyouverymuch.) It's always a sexy nurse or a sexy witch or a sexy Air Force member or something. These are already things that are thought to be sexy by a large number of people! I want to know why people don't do sexy versions of things that aren't generally considered sexy. At anime conventions people make sexy versions of silly things, like a sexy Moogle or a sexy Chocobo or a sexy Pikachu. I think my personal favorite was the sexy Iron Chefs with Pimp Daddy Kaga-san. It consisted of three girls who made short-skirted female versions of the satin Iron Chef costumes and then a guy dressed as Chairman Kaga-San. (I think the best part is that in order to be Pimp Daddy Kaga-San he didn't have to change the outfit at all. I love Chairman Kaga!)

If I'm going to be a sexy anything for Hallowe'en, it's going to be something original, like a sexy Care Bear. Moot point this year, as I'm going to be a Goth-Lolita Queen of Hearts (a costume I made, thank you much) but you get my drift.

Aimee "My little sister is being a sexy fallen angel, but at least she didn't buy the costume" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
I think girls get shafted on Halloween costumes.

[lol]

I have to say that this is my favourite line from that article:

quote:
Family therapist Lindy Guttman said: "It's a strange time we live in when half the doctors are women and half the lawyers are women, and all the little girls are prancing around in sexy costumes."
I can half-imagine her detailing the wonders of the flying car and the robot housemaid, too.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
a sexy Pikachu.
A... what? I'm not being critical or anything; sounds like a damned creative idea. I just have a VERY hard time picturing it. [Big Grin]

I don't normally do the Halloween thing (I have a way of always being deployed), but last Christmas in Iraq, I dressed up as Santa Claus and my female lieutenants dressed up as my little reindeer.

Not remotely risque by conventional standards, but in the middle of a combat zone, it definitely turned some heads and made some colonels very uncomfortable... [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
quote:
a sexy Pikachu.
A... what? I'm not being critical or anything; sounds like a damned creative idea. I just have a VERY hard time picturing it. [Big Grin]

I don't blame you. It's two words one doesn't expect to find together.
Here is an example. I'm sure you an find others if you felt like looking. Apparently she is being accompanied by a sexy Ash.

One of my other favorites is the sexy moogle who goes to the Pacific Northwest Anime Cons who has the tushie of her costume emblazoned with "Save Point."

Aimee "Yes, I am a geek" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always liked the "girly" costumes when I was younger. One of my favorites was a fairy princess costume with a billowing pink skirt. I was a fairy again last year- the only time I ever bought a prepackaged costume. This one was a Tinkerbell-type outfit that showed midriff.

There's a big difference between college students wearing sexy costumes and 12 year olds wearing them. I normally don't like to wear revealing clothes even now. Today I had to zip up my sweatshirt and endure being a bit overheated because I suspected the creepy-looking guy on the bus was trying to peek down my shirt.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aimee;

Wow. Wow.

Who'da thunk it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexy Darth Vader

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Dude, that's just... wrong.

She's hot.

But she's... VADER.

[Confused]

It's giving me a serious case of fanboy cognitive dissonance. My head hurts.

--------------------

Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trollface, you ruined my image of Darth Vader for the rest of my life.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexy Vader looks like she needs to pee...

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, evilrabbit.

DesertRat, "fanboy cognitive dissonance" just made me snort. Damn you!

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
True confession time: My 6YO DD has a costume that shows her belly. She's going to be a rock star. She did ask if it was OK for her stomach to be bare. We talked about how it was OK to show her tummy because it was a costume & not to wear everyday. School, church & most other situations are 'no belly'. But a costume you only wear occasionally is belly OK.
I personally felt it was a bit hypocritical for me to have a full belly ban when we can go to my dance studios monthly haflas & see lots of costumes that show tummies. I think, since shes around lots of bellydancers, that its important she learns how to dress tastefully, whether her stomach is bare or not.
I know my boundaries & rules are not everyones but I did want to show a slightly different perspective & clarify that we did discuss it & our reasonings behind the decision.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a costume shop recently and the "sexy" costumes had reached a new low for me.
They were in the Grown-up section, small condolence there.

Nurse? Check. Girl Scout? Check. Police? Check.
Dorothy? Check.
Sexy Scarecrow, Tin Woodsman, and Cowardly Lion? Ummmm Okay.

Sexy Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite?

OH MY LORD, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, NO!!!!

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hahaha, I saw the Rainbow Brite and the Strawberry Shortcake ones. Got to admit, they've got their demographic down - appeal to both the desire to look sexy AND nostalgia, KA-CHING!

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was actually an entire group with all the different characters.
Naught Strawberry Shortcake

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love going as something sexy that's not overly revealing. This year, I was supposed to be Trinity from The Matrix, but that was nixed, so I bought big red wings (I know, I was going to make them, but I found a pair for under $10), I'm probably going to get fake bright red nails, and spike my hair and have red streaks in it to be an evil pixie. I have the vinyl pants and tank top, so it'll work out, I think.

But SEXY costumes? I was a sexy Tinkerbell last year, but that's the first time I ever did something sexy. I'm not comfortable with wearing sexy outfits, and I think it's disgusting to see some girls wearing them. Another example- at a Halloween party I went to last year, there was a girl dressed in fishnet tights, knee-high boots, hot pants, a bra, and a fuzzy vest, with a fedora. When I asked her what she was, she said "I don't know. It's a costume."

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kallrynne:
There was actually an entire group with all the different characters.
Naught Strawberry Shortcake

WOW now that's short!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd waffles. Internet went down and it reposted my original message. Weird.
Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
True confession time: My 6YO DD has a costume that shows her belly. She's going to be a rock star. She did ask if it was OK for her stomach to be bare. We talked about how it was OK to show her tummy because it was a costume & not to wear everyday. School, church & most other situations are 'no belly'.

I am not, NOT going to suggest you host a costume party for the kids, and award a slice of pizza to the best one that doesn't show a belly.

You know, the No Belly Pizza Prize.

I will NOT suggest this, remember. [fish]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I will be either a big fluffy bunny rabbit (not a sexy one! I want it to be like a gorilla costume but a bunny) or just recycle my evil fairy costume that I've worn like four times.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK! pob14 [lol]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexy Ash rocks, as does sexy Darth Vader (even if she does look like she needs a serious potty break). And actually, the sexy pikachu costume rocks as well... except that the woman wearing it looks like she needs a sammich. A *big* one.

Edit: Oooh! I think I was at the Dragon*Con with the Strawberry Shortcake! Score! I actually have a picture from there that's even better, of a woman wearing a long shaggy coat, knee-high boots, and what looked like a black bikini. There was also some tribal jewelry and a sword involved somehow--I think she was going for a barbarian babe look.

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought sexy Pikachu looked more like she needed to exhale. I have no doubt she's thin, but she looked like she was seriously sucking it in in addition to her thinness.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poisoned candy from strangers:
I thought sexy Pikachu looked more like she needed to exhale. I have no doubt she's thin, but she looked like she was seriously sucking it in in addition to her thinness.

Must . . . fight . . . urge . . . to . . . reply . . . . [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poisoned candy from strangers:

In her defense, I was looking at her cosplay.com page and those pictures are from the actual masquerade (skit contest, for those of you not in the know) that was not the best pose I found of her. It was just the best one that showed most of the costume. She's thin, but doesn't look quite so squished in the other pictures.

Like I said, that was just the first example I could come up with.

Aimee "Maybe next con I'll be a sexy Pen-Pen..." Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if I could pull off a sexy mecha?

I'm still debating who to cosplay at MegaCon this Spring.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages