snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Amorous couple or nine dolphins?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amorous couple or nine dolphins?
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ran across this photo of a bottle. It looks like there is a drawing of an amorous couple on the bottle. However, the website claims that it's 9 dolphins? I tried but I can't see 9 dolphins even if I turn my head to one side and squint. Can anyone else see 9 dolphins in the picture?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see them. You just have a dirty mind, Jay.
Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Young children cannot identify the intimate couple because they do not have prior memory associated with such a scenario.
That's quite poor reasoning. A child could certainly see a man and a woman there, even if they weren't sure what they were doing. Furthermore it's kind of a broad assumption that no young child has ever seen two adults kiss, or a naked person, or even sex.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, at first I could only see the couple but

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

now I see that the dolphins are in the negative space of the man's arms, the woman's legs, etc. The dolphins seem clearly secondary, though, and added on afterwards.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the couple first, and I could identify the dolphins, but I wouldn't have noticed the dolphins if that weren't the reason for looking at it.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marci157
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marci157     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see both the couple and the 9 dolphins. It is a matter of perspective.
Posts: 22 | From: Katy, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WulfBane

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WulfBane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen that before and yes, I spot the couple first. I don't know if the bit of art was originally created as a "test of innocence" or simply as yet another double image.

The reason I say this is (at least in that form of its presentation) one of the images is basically white/light and surrounded by a medium/dark grey and is offset rather well. However, the other images are medium grey and while some portions can be considered against white, they are also against nearly the same medium/dark grey shading.

The entire bottle is mostly medium-dark grey, so if you were told to find an image, you would look for the white to counter the bottle's primary color. Plus, it might be that our vision when looking for objects looks for the light standing out in the dark and less looking for the dark shapes in the light (unless the background is overwhelmingly light)

Posts: 11 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen this before. It irritated me then, and it still does: Why is "ignorance" taken as synonymous with "innocence", and "awareness" as necessarily signifying "corruption" or even "perversion"? What's "perverted" about knowing what two people making love look like?

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking the same thing; both images are actually beautiful in their way, and seem to compliment each other nicely. The couple is certainly erotic, but I wouldn't call it "perverted."

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More from the same artist:
Sandro del Prete

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only see seven dolphins, possibly eight, but only the tail part.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That artist does some cool work. I like it. Boy, if I had used his stuff as examples of positive/negative space back when I was teaching art, the parents would have flipped out for sure!

-I saw the dolphins and the couple both, right away, and there are nine of them, too, btw.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, those are some hot dolphins!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the couple at first too but I sort of had to change my focus to find all of the dolphins.

I think the picture itself is cool, although I really don't think someone who can find six dolphins in less than six seconds needs help.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke though. I hope.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh!! the dolphins are in the dark areas. I was looking for dolphin shapes in the light areas. I knew snopesters would be smart enough to find it

Looks like the artist has a knack for drawing nude pictures using dolphins. Who knew dolphins could be NFBSK? Kind of cool, actually

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the couple and 7 dolphins almost immediately, but it took me a little longer to find the other 2 smaller dolphins.

So I'm an innocent perv then, right?

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me it seems if you focus on the lighter part of the image you get the couple, and if you focus on the darker part of the image you get the dolphins.

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sevenyear old could only see the nekkid people [we have this in a book at home] and could not see the doplphins until I got some tracing paper and drew them.

I should start saving for therapy??

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I saw the couple and 7 dolphins almost immediately, but it took me a little longer to find the other 2 smaller dolphins.

So I'm an innocent perv then, right?

Well, at least you are not turned on by baby dolphins. It could be worse...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sammy Jankis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy Jankis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:
I've seen this before. It irritated me then, and it still does: Why is "ignorance" taken as synonymous with "innocence", and "awareness" as necessarily signifying "corruption" or even "perversion"? What's "perverted" about knowing what two people making love look like?

I think this started in Genesis when Adam and Eve got kicked out of Eden for eating from the tree of knowledge.
Posts: 3 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At first I couldn't see ANY dolphins for ages. Once I realised where they were it still took a long time to find all nine.

This means I was staring at what my subconscious was telling me was a picture of a naked couple for 10-15 minutes...

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see 10 dolphins. Seriously. Maybe one that I think is a dolphin is the continuation of a tail?

SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...SPOILER...SPACE...

2 inside the woman's arms
1 baby dolphin between the lovers' eyes and noses
2 inside the man's arms
1 baby dolphin between the man's hands/ at the curve of the woman's chest
2 in front of man's legs/ around woman's hips
1 between woman's legs
1 (tail only)at the fold of her right leg/ under his left knee, heading toward right.

Whew. I got a little hot writing that [Wink]

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see 10 dolphins too. But I saw the couple first.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages