snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » DJ chokes on her microphone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DJ chokes on her microphone
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 201 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks real. Yet I can't see how someone could swallow something that big. Perhaps someone might know the story behind this strange video.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Er, well, why doesn't someone just pull the mic cable?

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my.
Some slight faith in humanity has been regained in that the guy with the camera turned it off, presumably to go help the poor woman.
I can't find any info on it, but I'll keep an eye out.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like the film skips before she swallows the end of the mic. It's only the silver part at the end that gets in her mouth, if I am seeing it right (which is hard to say since the video is so grainy). [nitpick]I also wouldn't go so far as to call the lady a DJ. She's playing the organ and singing, not playing CDs or records [/nitpick]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[nitpick]I also wouldn't go so far as to call the lady a DJ. She's playing the organ and singing, not playing CDs or records [/nitpick]
I wouldn't go so far as to call that lady a "lady," either. Looks and sounds like a guy (complete with Rod Stewart-esque hairdo) to me. I think someone even calls him 'Ziggy'.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ROFL, molly. I watched it without sound. It actually made me think of those old SNL skits with Wil Farrel as one of a pair of singers who would appear in the most unlikely functions.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
badlydrawnboy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badlydrawnboy   Author's Homepage   E-mail badlydrawnboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Please tell me that weddings aren't really like that! I mean... is that a wedding??

The parts sticking out in my mind:
1. The weird "laalalaaa" singing
2. The awful sounds "rod stewart" makes when he's trying to cough out the mic

x_x

Posts: 25 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The words are difficult to make out but it sounds like it might be Dutch. So in that case it surely must be Belgian. Yup, typical Flemish wedding.

(Well, Northern Brabant possibly but that's as far as I will go.)

[ETA: and definitely a man.]

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't tell you how many times I've been hit in the mouth with a microphone when performing when some drunkard slams into the mic stand. Hurts like hell.

I haven't actually managed to swallow a microphone though...

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, the diameter of the mic involved here (it appears to be a Shure SM58, one of the most commonly used vocal mics) is appoximately 2 inches. So... anyone out there sufficiently big-mouthed to try to swallow a 2" diameter ball and see if the above scenario is possible? (My mouth only can stretch to about 1.5", so no luck with me.)

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
videoguy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for videoguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
I can't see how someone could swallow something that big.

::insert picture of 'The Kielbasa Queen' here::
[Big Grin]

Posts: 16 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
So... anyone out there sufficiently big-mouthed to try to swallow a 2" diameter ball and see if the above scenario is possible?

I knew a girl in school who could fit most (3/4 or more) of a soda can into her mouth. That's about 3.25".

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garnet Jell-o

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garnet Jell-o   Author's Homepage   E-mail Garnet Jell-o   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chalk me up as another person who thinks that the singer is a man.

I'll admit that this video gave me the giggles...Sometimes, my sense of humor is sick.

--------------------
"I'm really quite simple. I don't want to be in the business full-time because I'm a gardener. I plant flowers and watch them grow. I don't go out to clubs and partying. I stay at home and watch the river flow." - George Harrison

Posts: 28 | From: Towson, Maryland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rodh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rodh     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
I knew a girl in school who could fit most (3/4 or more) of a soda can into her mouth. That's about 3.25".

I'll bet that was a popular act with the boys.
Posts: 403 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Waby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waby   E-mail Waby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This video is a fake. They showed it over here on 'You've Been Framed' and no one ever gets hurt in any of the home videos people send in. What this clip doesnt show you is that the woman spits out the mike and makes a full recovery and dont worry each person gets £150 for every clip shown anyway. Awesome.
Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's definitely a woman?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fact that the woman has the mic removed and recovers doesn't make the video fake. It seems to me that someone really did bump the stand, which really did force the mic into her mouth where it got stuck in her throat. Probably very uncomfortable and somewhat painful, but with people around to pull it out, i would not assume that the micee died.
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waby:
This video is a fake. They showed it over here on 'You've Been Framed' and no one ever gets hurt in any of the home videos people send in. What this clip doesnt show you is that the woman spits out the mike and makes a full recovery and dont worry each person gets £150 for every clip shown anyway. Awesome.

1) So are you saying that you know that the video submitted to You've Been Framed was a fake, or that the clip is out of context?

2) I think it's a stretch to claim that no-one ever gets hurt in any of the videos sent in.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a big mouth(in more ways than one). I'm pretty sure I could get a 58 in there, as I already have a habit of "eating the microphone" when I sing, but I'm not gonna experiment just for the sake of it.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Waby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waby   E-mail Waby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To Neffti Nightmare-

1) The clip has been altered to look like someone has choked on a mic when they havent. Lots of people do this to make 'comedy' home videos.
2) I would have to agree with you on that one. I only put no one gets hurt in the videos as that is what they claim on the TV programmes - even though quite clearly they do but on this occasion no one got hurt.

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't this a gag (so to speak) in one of the "Naked Gun" films? IIRC, Leslie Nielsen's character was undercover at some awards program like the Oscars. The presenter got the microphone stuck in her mouth for some reason and had to have the Heimlich maneuver.

I don't remember which one it was, as I saw it a long, long time ago.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waby, where are you getting your information from?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:

Waby, where are you getting your information from?

A black panther whispered it.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by badlydrawnboy:
Wow. Please tell me that weddings aren't really like that! I mean... is that a wedding??

The parts sticking out in my mind:
1. The weird "laalalaaa" singing
2. The awful sounds "rod stewart" makes when he's trying to cough out the mic

x_x

While I'm no expert on Dutch/Belgian culture, I highly doubt that androgynous entertainers hawking up microphones are a common feature of weddings there. [Razz]

I feel guilty, but I did laugh when I watched this - also when I watched the Mira Craig stagedive in the "Fun House" section. I know it's not at all funny (not to mention painful for the person involved) and I'm ashamed of myself, but I laugh anyway.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BJ_Sturgeon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJ_Sturgeon   E-mail BJ_Sturgeon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
Wasn't this a gag (so to speak) in one of the "Naked Gun" films? IIRC, Leslie Nielsen's character was undercover at some awards program like the Oscars. The presenter got the microphone stuck in her mouth for some reason and had to have the Heimlich maneuver.

I don't remember which one it was, as I saw it a long, long time ago.

Exactly. That was actually the first thing I thought of.

Nielsen was stumbling and rolling down stairs accidentally kicking Racquel Welch in the butt who ended up swallowing the mic in front of her.

ETA: That was in Naked Gun 33 1/3

Posts: 21 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages