snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » AFLAC INSURANCE SCAM ALERT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AFLAC INSURANCE SCAM ALERT
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems the Better Business Bureau got a complaint the other day about a scam in which AFLAC allegedly was taking advantage of women on the street and stealing their money.

Now we all at one time or another have thought that INSURANCE Companies have stolen from us; however, this scam is netting COLD HARD CASH from unsuspecting individuals.

The way it works is the thief uses children to distract the target. While admiring the cuteness of the kids the target is robbed of her cash and never knows what hit her.

I'm sending this out for all to be aware that this is happening and it's right out on the streets in front of the general public.

A passer-by with a digital camera phone happened to capture the photo attached.

Review it carefully and use caution when distractions like this come along.

Good Luck, and don't say you weren't warned.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I'd fall for THAT scam!
:Squeals in delight: [Big Grin] Baaaabeeee duuuuuckieeees!
Ok, I'm back!

ETA: Let me be the first to say, "Plausible pic, made-up description" [lol]

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazelunah
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazelunah   E-mail Hazelunah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's worth a few bucks to pet the duckies.
Posts: 4 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess the question is what, exactly, the photo is? Is it photo-shopped, a staged photo, or did mommy duck actually grab the lady's cash out of her purse? I'm voting staged, but it could be any of the above.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys would love living in my town...it follows the Mississippi river and certain times of the year all the way up to Third St you will have to watch out for Mama duck and her babies crossing the road

She is very arrogant too...she thinks the road is hers and she takes her sweet time crossing with her ducklings...the interesting thing is nobody ever gets mad...take the meanest driver who's late for work and even he'll slow down for the duckies

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
I guess the question is what, exactly, the photo is? Is it photo-shopped, a staged photo, or did mommy duck actually grab the lady's cash out of her purse? I'm voting staged, but it could be any of the above.

David

I'll put my vote in for shopped. I can see how you'd train a duck to take cash out of purse (our get a duck to hold cash long enough for a picture).

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's shopped then they vey carefully shopped in mama duck's (?!) reflection into the glass partition behind her.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This appears to be the original. Thieving duck
quote:
A duck robs a poor innocent woman as she’s distracted by the cute ducklings. Moments later they all rush off with their ill-gotten gains!

What you don’t see is the camera crew, make-up and lighting people and a small crowd watching from behind them. This was for some advert and of course the woman in question is a model.
I shot this on State Street, Chicago after stumbling upon the shoot by accident. They didn’t seem to mind, and I even got a dazzling smile from the model!

Note that the phtotographer calls it an "advert" but says it was shot in Chicago. He is Irish but was apparently in Chicago as a visitor.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
If it's shopped then they vey carefully shopped in mama duck's (?!) reflection into the glass partition behind her.

Gibbie

I don't think that's a mirror-looks like a clear partiton...My husband would SO run-he's afraid of teh birds!

ETA: I always thought the duck was a male...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Squishy it is a clear partition, but you can still see the duck reflected in it, if you look carefully.

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well um..err...at least her panties arent showing [Razz]

*insert uneasy laugh*

ETA: to change < to * so it will show...oops

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

If Kathy B's link is correct, it's possible that none of the ducks are real - they may simply be props.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Stuffed duck - mmmm!" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I gotta admit, my first thought on seeing it was "what duckling is going to stand still while a human pets it?"

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, technically it does kinda look like the one baby duck is attempting to run away from its admirer(?)

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
I gotta admit, my first thought on seeing it was "what duckling is going to stand still while a human pets it?"

While at a lakeside park in the Seattle area, I had several ducklings walk directly over my feet. I probably could have petted them if I'd wanted to, but I generally don't touch wild animals, for a number of reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by ertceps:
She is very arrogant too...she thinks the road is hers and she takes her sweet time crossing with her ducklings...the interesting thing is nobody ever gets mad...take the meanest driver who's late for work and even he'll slow down for the duckies

I've experienced the same thing in several areas I've lived in. People are amazingly patient with duckies.

My favorite part is when it takes one of the ducklings a couple tries to hop up onto the curb. [Smile]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it could happen, *giggles* Where my ister lived I would vist the duckies. There were like a hundred ducks and they liked to grab stuff from you to see if it was food. The parents were less bold, only coming up close and scuttling away if you tried to feed them. The babies would not only yank it out of your hands but try to take your fingers with it! Lucky for me they didn't have teeth, but next thing I knew I was running away from a flock of hundred ducks when I ran out of food. Once a few ducks saw you, all the others assumed you were worth chasing too and joined in.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

Canada Geese are more aggressive--they don't pick pockets, they mug. I saw a mom and her children feeding the geese on campus not long ago. The mom was hunkered down, taking a picture--and one of the geese viciously nipped her butt. She pitched forward, landing short of the pond on her face (but knowing what geese do on the grass there, I pitied her), and her camera splashed down about five feet from shore.

I helped her get up, and she informed me that the next time her kids fed our geese, strychnine would be involved.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yeardley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yeardley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Yeardley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The description is intended to be humorous !

AFLAC's mascot is a goose, and has starred in all their ads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflac). So, in saying yet another AFLAC scam, they writer is being funny in showing a pic of the purported AFLAC mascot taking money directly out of your purse !

--------------------
These men have a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them.

Posts: 44 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

I helped her get up, and she informed me that the next time her kids fed our geese, strychnine would be involved.

Would that affect the meat? If so a teacher I once had told us that when he was young and poor he used to hunt ducks in the local park with bow and arrows. I have also heard a story about someone who, as a poor student, snared pigeons that walked around outside his window.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You've got to pay the bill.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yeardley:
The description is intended to be humorous !

AFLAC's mascot is a goose, and has starred in all their ads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflac). ...

The creature in the TV ads is not a goose, but a white Pekin duck. My grand-dad used to raise them.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Either way, the title is appropriate... anyone ever look at the cost of AFLAC coverage??
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages