snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » How Not To Exit A Helicopter (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How Not To Exit A Helicopter
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oh my god...poor guy

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at this picture of an R44 helicopter, he would have to be pretty tall to be in any danger from the rotors.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an advert - the product/service (can't remember which) has been cut from the end of that clip. The full version is somewhere on Dumpalink.com.

ETA: Here.

Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the ducking under the rotor on "M*A*S*H" was for dramatic effect. Of course, I've never seen it IRL. I've seen 'copters land, just never have been close enough to worry about it. Never thought about flying debris, but that does seem logical. With your head ducked, debris would hit the top of your head, instead of your eyes. Interesting.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

I watched it a few times, and while the video itself didn’t bother me overly much, the audio just pierced my like a knife. Just a little caution to those watching it with speakers.

NFBSK -- Description of the Video -- NSFW -- Generally Nasty -- Warning!

I hope that’s enough space and enough warning. I know I wouldn’t want to stumble on this by mistake:

I do not think the man is getting his head chopped off/struck by the blades, but rather, it appears that he raises his arms above his head to do a “victory” type thing and it is his arms or hands that get hit. After watching it again, something caught my eye as being “off” in the frames right before the scream and the blood, and it appears that an object (perhaps a bag of some sort) that is flesh-colored is thrown in from off screen. Whatever it is appears to strike the victim in the face, and has a red “ring” around the bottom of it. Could this be a bag full of blood for effect? Since noticing that, and the way the camera moves away, and manages to get perfectly splattered I’m leaning towards “staged” and “not really someone getting chopped up.” However. There’s just something about the audio that strikes me as real: the way the female voice keeps going for a half-second or so before what (might have) just happened sinks in. And then that scream. That scream just seems piercingly real - it’s a darn nice fake, or recording, if that’s what it turns out to be.

Semi-related: I, too, thought the hunched-over walk was to keep the wind or floating nasties out of your eyes. Or, it could just be some sort of gut reaction: “Large nasty noisy thing over me! Predator! Duck for cover! Flee!” type thing. Same way some folks flinch when they hear thunder.

ETA: Looks like someone posted that it was an advertisement while I was typing that whole thing up. Does that mean ... I got spanked? Oh my! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago-Threadslayer,Inc.:
I always thought the ducking under the rotor on "M*A*S*H" was for dramatic effect. Of course, I've never seen it IRL. I've seen 'copters land, just never have been close enough to worry about it. Never thought about flying debris, but that does seem logical. With your head ducked, debris would hit the top of your head, instead of your eyes. Interesting.

I've been up in a few, between debris being kicked up by the wind and the exhaust from the engine its pretty hot and.. Well.. Windy under there, its a pretty natural reaction to duck down to avoid as much as possible and maintain adequate vision.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, you have to time it just right but there is a flesh colored "bag" of some sort coming from off screen that smacks him dead in the face.

ok, I'm using the dumplink (link)that snafu posted as reference as you can pause this and move it forward frame by frame...

It is a giant plastic hand that hits him...and then it spatters "blood" everywhere..then the advertisment at the end for tall man's clothing.

I think the scream sounds so real because I don't think they were expecting it and it scared the shit out of her until she realized it was fake.

All staged...

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sleepless Dinosaur:
Looking at this picture of an R44 helicopter, he would have to be pretty tall to be in any danger from the rotors.

He'd have to be a giant. The vertical fingertip distance for a 95% man (Heigh of 6 feet 1 inch) is just 7 feet 6 inches. The main rotor on an R44 is 10 feet 9 inches. At that distance (assuming no rotor droop), you'd have to be over 8 feet to worry about your fingers getting chopped off.

Human sizes

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kalle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon Shadows:
It is a giant plastic hand that hits him...and then it spatters "blood" everywhere..then the advertisment at the end for tall man's clothing.

I think the scream sounds so real because I don't think they were expecting it and it scared the shit out of her until she realized it was fake.

All staged...

Wow, that's... an interesting analysis.

The "giant plastic hand" is a real or CG (although I don't think so) hand composited into the picture. The blood on the lens could well be too.

The screaming is exactly how they recorded and edited it - in the nice and cosy (hopefully) studio, far away from any noisy helicopters.

Posts: 39 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ducking - from someone who flies on helicopters regularly, I can tell you several reasons.

The main one is to keep the rotor blades from taking your head off. When helicopters land, they land on level ground. Care must be taken when leaving the helicopter not to exit toward an upslope, where you may come in contact with the blades. On flat level ground, you would not normally contact rotor blades. However, a lot of pilots "idle down" when sitting, which allows the blades to droop. The change in height can decapitate an unsuspecting person. A person I worked with once saw it happen.

Another reason is, indeed to keep objects from being drawn into the blades or tail rotor.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to watch the video at this computer, but I can tell why you should duck under the rotor. Several reasons:

1. Some helicopters are small and the rotor is low.

2. The ground may be uneven, so as you walk away from the helicopter you may get in contact with the rotor.

3. If you are under a landing helicopter, the rotor blades may flex downwards as it touches down.

4. It keeps you aware of the rotor, so you don't see your friend and starts to wave your hands in the air or something stupid like that.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NovaSS

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oops double post
Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NovaSS

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Helicopter main rotors float, they are not always perfectly level. What causes this?

When a pilot wants to go forward he pushes forward on the stick. This changes the pitch of the blades as they go around, each blade is independant from the other. The pitch on one blade is increasing as it sweeps around toward the rear of the craft and decreases as it comes back to the front. This creates more lift at the rear and the helicopter leans forward and heads in that direction. Because of this increased lift at the rear of the sweep the whole rotor head assembly tends to tilt down in the front also.

Same thing happens to fly side ways ( not turnig) the blades pitch is increased on side of the craft.

Rember the rotor head floats, it angle is dictated by were the most pitch is in during the blades rotaion.

So if you are walking away and the pilot bumps the stick to one side of the rotors will come down on that side. How much ? Several inches in an extream situation. Any more and they would be lopping off tail booms all the time.

The main reason for ducking is a reflex, you know whats going on above your head so you just naturaly duck.

As for the video?

So fake its funny ! The hand thrown into the video has a nice clean cut with no sign of internal detail. Looks like something from Spencers Gift shop in the mall. Not what you would expect form this kind on injury.

Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see the video (doggone dial up), but a local business man at Conseco was killed a couple years back up in Indy when he didn't duck down far enough when exiting a helicopter.

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beastly Despot:
I didn't see the video (doggone dial up), but a local business man at Conseco was killed a couple years back up in Indy when he didn't duck down far enough when exiting a helicopter.

The subsequent court case makes for interesting reading:

quote:
When the Dauphin helicopter involved in this accident is parked and its blades are not moving, the blades droop to about 8 feet, 2 inches above level ground in front of the helicopter. (The blades are closest to the ground in front of the nose).

But when the cyclic control is pushed beyond the normal operating limit to its absolute maximum forward position of 13 degrees, the rotor blade can reach as low as 5 feet, 2 inches. The record contains information about an accident in which an offshore oil worker was fatally struck in the head by a Dauphin blade as he approached the helicopter from the front. At the time, the helicopter was operating under full rotor r.p.m.s and the cyclic control was pushed forward.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dino, that IS interesting. I fly in a similar model to the AS-365, an AS-350. The blade attach point is about 8 feet above ground, and at speed, so are the rotors. It's obvious watching the rotors decelerate that there is a danger. I have stood beside the helicopter and watched the blades dip to eye level. Even at low speeds, in the teens of RPMs, there's more force in those blades than I would like to challenge.

It almost sounds like the victim in the court case had a death wish.

ETA:
 -

--------------------

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eric Wright Jr.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Wright Jr.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm scared to be near a helicopter now!!!

--------------------
- Eric Wright Jr.

Posts: 11 | From: Germantown, MD | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nclinnm:
It wouldn't come up for me--just a blank screen.

Click on "download video directly" it will open up. I'm not sure if right click save target as will work.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please edit this message to include "NFBSK". It is truely disturbing.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No it isn't and there is sufficient enough warning in the Op's post AND most of us have already determined that it just isn't real. The guy did not get his head cut off as, if you actually watch it--it's a commercial for tall men clothing...

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I got into or out of a helicopter, I was always keenly aware of the rotor blades, and kept my head well down. If the pilot's trying to hold the helicopter down with the rotors, usually in high winds, the tips of the rotors can get quite low.

My dad has a story about transporting General Hollingsworth (then commander of US forces in III MR, Vietnam). Dad was flying an OH-6 (militarized version of the Hughes 500). The general stepped up into the aircraft (which is only about 8' tall) without ducking. He got smacked on the top of the helmet by either the rotors or part of the rotor assembly. His comment was "Damn, this son-of-a-bitch is short".

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To add on to what fund-o-ramus said, some helos do have tailrotors which, when turning, can strike a man of average height while the bird rests on a level slope. The CH-53E is one such aircraft; when pax are boarding on the ramp, one of the crew chiefs usually stands on the ramp directing people to board from the starboard side, lest they have an unfortunate encounter with something large, metal, sharp, and fast.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all the ones I've been around (AH-1, UH-1, UH-60, OH-58, except the CH-47) have tail rotor about man-level. They spin fast enough to be invisible and sound high-pitched enough you can hardly hear them over the main rotor noise. I know of at least one occasion where the pilot, on his pre-flight walk-around, walked into it (this was on a Huey).

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was he preflighting the bird when the blades were turning?

I'm assuming he was groundturning while FCFing it, but still--why was he out of the cockpit?

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jof

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
?

--------------------
Shoot the messenger.

Posts: 14 | From: Widnes, Cheshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Jof;

Preflighting the aircraft is a procedure normally done before conducting a mission, in which one or both of the pilots uses a checklist to go over ever major functional component of the aircraft before actually signing for the bird. This is NOT maintenance; all your maintenance, and a much more exhaustively thorough check, will have been conducted by the mechs well before the bird is blessed off to fly. Preflighting is the "final once over," in which the pilot eyeballs the aircraft, makes sure the mechs didn't miss anything major, and then presses on. There are no "moving parts" to preflighting an aircraft; the aircraft is stationary, the blades are not turning, and the APUs are powered down. It's just like spot-checking your car before turning the engine on.

FCFing is something entirely different-- FCF stands for Functional Check Flight, which is a procedure which occurs during aircraft maintenance. Once the mechs fix, replace, or otherwise adjust anything in the aircraft, first they "ground turn" the A/C--the turn the APUs on and get the blades turning, but the A/C does not leave the ground. This is the equivalent of turning your car on and revving the engine but never taking it out of park. During ground turning, both pilots remain in the cockpit, and provide functional feedback to the maintainers after they power down. Once groundturning has successfully been completed with no discrepancies, they actually conduct theor FCF, which is quite literally a "test" flight--they take the bird airborne in a local pattern for a short, nonoperational flight to make sure everything is working okay. This is the equivalent of driving your car around the block to make sure everything's working okay.

At none of these points during either of these procedures is a pilot walking arounf an aircraft with blades turning--mechs/maintainers, yes, but not pilots. Hence my confusion at the statement above.

That being said, everything I have described is Marine Corps aviation SOP. Army aviation may do things very differently; I honestly don't know.

--------------------

Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I know is, after what happened to Romano on ER I never want to be anywhere NEAR a helicopter...that goes for both Losing an Arm and being smashed.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Wright Jr.:

You should be afraid.

Helicopters fly only because they are so ugly, the ground repels them.
Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.
The basic difference between an airplane and a helicopter is that an airplane *wants* to fly.
A helicopter is a million parts rotating rapidly around an oil leak waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

You get the idea.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eric Wright Jr.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Wright Jr.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be silly! I'm scared cuz of the low chopper blades...

--------------------
- Eric Wright Jr.

Posts: 11 | From: Germantown, MD | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Try hotfueling one.

Crawling across a helipad that's 100 feet above the water to get the hose which is 3 feet from the edge, turn on the pump, crawling back to the helicopter, finding the gas tank, inserting the ground pin, pumping the fuel, splashing it on your shoes so you stink the rest of the ride in, crawling back, putting away hose... all while the blades are turning at 400 RPM above your head.

Amazing what one will do when one wants to go home badly enough.

--------------------

DesertRat

Prior (or current) crew chief, fund-o-ramus?

ETA: Or bulk fueler, perhaps?

--------------------

abbubmah

No, when the pilot asks you if you can hotfuel, after being away from home a week or more, you kinda step up to it.

Every once in a while I get a callout for a *little* farther than one tank will go, and I am usually the only passenger.

One does what one must..

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Wright Jr.:

You should be afraid.

Helicopters fly only because they are so ugly, the ground repels them.
Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.
The basic difference between an airplane and a helicopter is that an airplane *wants* to fly.
A helicopter is a million parts rotating rapidly around an oil leak waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

You get the idea.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Having many friend in the helo world, that is awesome Doug.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

all joking aside, helos--in the hands of responsible maintainers and capable aircrew--really are perfectly safe, or as safe as any mechanized transportation can be expected to be. You're looking, across the board, at a handful of serious mishaps for literally tens of thousands of flight hours. (For example, my old squadron flew over three-thousand hours during the course of seven months, while in a combat zone no less, with zero mishaps.)

Can privately owned automobiles, on average, claim the same track record? [Smile]

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
Can privately owned automobiles, on average, claim the same track record? [Smile]

Privately owned automobiles are generally driven by complete idiots, though... I imagine that the average military helicopter pilot is a bit better trained and disciplined! And the maintenance is a lot stricter. And there's less to hit in the air (except the ground, of course).
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages