snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Thrown water freezing in air video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thrown water freezing in air video
Julie0917
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Julie0917   E-mail Julie0917   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is so cool! Is it real and is it possible?

ETA: Some ads may be NFBSK/NSFW. But the video is strictly g rated.

[ 19. January 2006, 07:10 PM:   snopes ]

Posts: 205 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. I have never seen that happen before!! It would work with liquid nitrogen! Dunno about water though.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks real enough. If it gets really cold, I would think it could be possible. But it wouldn't be quite as easy as the comment suggests. Simply throwing water into the air from an open container wouldn't cause the water to disperse nearly as much as it did in the video. There was probably something like a screen over the container to make the water break up into tiny particles. If it hadn't broken up so small, then it probably wouldn't have frozen before it hit the ground.

Also, you might want to point out that some of the ads in that link are NFBSK.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack London said that at -50 degrees spit will freeze before it hits the ground. I believe if it's cold enough this is possible.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Julie0917
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie0917   E-mail Julie0917   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

Also, you might want to point out that some of the ads in that link are NFBSK.

Sorry... will do!
Posts: 205 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Man of Wealth and Taste
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Man of Wealth and Taste   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Man of Wealth and Taste   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I come from Alaska, and Jack London was right... if it's cold enough (-50 Fahrenheit or colder sounds about right), spit will freeze before it hits the ground. However, it seems dubious that you could do it with a whole glass of water... I'd buy it if, as GenYus said, there was a screen over the container, and it was Fairbanks (the coldest city in Alaska, if you're not counting little villages), and it was February.

So, long story short, it's not entirely unbelievable, but it would have to be filmed under pretty specific conditions.

--------------------
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

"You might call this my dark side, but I wouldn't put it that way exactly. It's my only side."
-Me

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania/Alaska | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible, but I'm guessing this particular video is not what it claims to be. The guy is not dressed for sub-zero weather.

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
what about pee? Will pee freeze before it hits the ground?

I've often heard of people having to "detach" themselves from the ground after a nice long piss in the snow.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:

I've often heard of people having to "detach" themselves from the ground after a nice long piss in the snow.

If that were the case then they would almost certainly have frostbite of the penis since it would require the urine to be below freezing at least at the tip.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't that how a snow machine works? I don't see any problems with it.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seriously doubt pee will freeze. For one thing it is quite warm (around 30°C at least) when it leaves the body. For another thing, it is full of impurities like salt and urea. Impurities in water typically make the freezing point much lower than pure water.

ETA: All the snow machines that I've seen shave a block of ice to produce "snow".

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I seriously doubt pee will freeze. For one thing it is quite warm (around 30°C at least) when it leaves the body. For another thing, it is full of impurities like salt and urea. Impurities in water typically make the freezing point much lower than pure water.

ETA: All the snow machines that I've seen shave a block of ice to produce "snow".

I can tell you are from down south. [Wink]

Sky areas use machines to make 'artificial' snow. It involved large volumes of water and just the right airation. I can assure you shaving blocks of ice is not involved.

--------------------

piffpuffpickle
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piffpuffpickle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is possible, I remember seeing something very similar to this on an early morning news programme - I think it was last year they had a man in Times Square, when the temperature was so cold and he threw water in the air and the same thing happened.
Posts: 22 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:

I can tell you are from down south. [Wink]

Sky areas use machines to make 'artificial' snow. It involved large volumes of water and just the right airation. I can assure you shaving blocks of ice is not involved.

All the ice machines I've seen were for making piles of snow for kids to play in. The shaving ice is probably cheaper and easier, especially when the temperature is above freezing. The method you describe is probably more expensive but makes something that is much closer to real snow that is better to sky on.

--------------------

beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd bet this is not water but liquid nitrogen or something of that variety that actually boiled in flight. It also seems that there is some kind of vapour going from the glass as the guy holds it. The whole thing just boiled in the air with separate droplets going down leaving steamy traces.

The second thing is that the whole thing was definitely shot in Ukraine (see the flags in the background) and it didn't go below -40 centigrade... well... in the last 20 years at the very least. -20 is actually quite rare, a couple of days a year at worst.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnnie240
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnnie240   E-mail Johnnie240   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, this is deffinately real, I live in Minnesota and have done this when the temperature was below -20 Farenheit. we even took pictures and it looked very similar. I simply brought water to a boil, opened my sliding glass door and swung the pot in the air the same way they did in this video, and achieved exactly the same results.
Posts: 1 | From: Shakopee, MN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...All the ice machines I've seen were for making piles of snow for kids to play in. The shaving ice is probably cheaper and easier, especially when the temperature is above freezing. The method you describe is probably more expensive but makes something that is much closer to real snow that is better to sky on.

Freezing, transporting and then shaving and distributing blocks of ice hardly sound cheap or easy. Especially when compared to using a hose to pump water through a nozel so that it freezes in the outside air.

I would guess they use the shaved ice when less snow is needed and naturally cold air is not available.

--------------------

beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://wgntv.trb.com/news/weather/weblog/wgnweather/archives/002460.html
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie240:
Yes, this is deffinately real, I live in Minnesota and have done this when the temperature was below -20 Farenheit. we even took pictures and it looked very similar. I simply brought water to a boil, opened my sliding glass door and swung the pot in the air the same way they did in this video, and achieved exactly the same results.

Ditto. They do it on the news every time it his -20 or so (Farenheit). Last year, a bunch of us at work tried it ourselves. It looks just like that video.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not doubting water can freeze in mid air, but couldnt the guy have scooped up some snow and flung it in the air? i see no proof it's water..
Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
quote:

Ditto. They do it on the news every time it his -20 or so (Farenheit). Last year, a bunch of us at work tried it ourselves. It looks just like that video.

-Tim

Yep, it's about the only fun thing to do outside once it gets that cold.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piffpuffpickle:
This is possible, I remember seeing something very similar to this on an early morning news programme - I think it was last year they had a man in Times Square, when the temperature was so cold and he threw water in the air and the same thing happened.

I saw that too on GMTV. [Smile] It was the first thing I thought of when I saw th ethread title.
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
...All the ice machines I've seen were for making piles of snow for kids to play in. The shaving ice is probably cheaper and easier, especially when the temperature is above freezing. The method you describe is probably more expensive but makes something that is much closer to real snow that is better to sky on.

Freezing, transporting and then shaving and distributing blocks of ice hardly sound cheap or easy. Especially when compared to using a hose to pump water through a nozel so that it freezes in the outside air.

I would guess they use the shaved ice when less snow is needed and naturally cold air is not available.

The key phrase is "freezes in the outside air". If the temperature is above freezing (like 99.9% of the time in Phoenix) then I think the shaving of ice would be the cheaper method.

For what it is worth, I just read a story about making snow for our ski slopes up north. It appears they use your method.

So I guess the dividing line is the outside temperature. Below freezing = your method. Above freezing = my method.

--------------------

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So I guess the dividing line is the outside temperature. Below freezing = your method. Above freezing = my method.

So the comment "I can tell you're from down south" still stands... [lol]

Since it's counterintuitive to have snow (for any length of time) when it's not freezing, the 'real' snowmaking method is of course the one involving pumped water with areation. The shaved ice is more of a gimmick to give hotter climates a taste of snow for an hour or so...

-Tim "We Minnesotans know our snow"

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nexus
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Nexus   E-mail Nexus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an on-site link , with both south and water [Big Grin]
Posts: 29 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:

Richard E. Byrd wrote a fascinating book, Alone, about his experiences manning an advance weather base in Antarctica back in the thirties. He mentions his privy and also mentions the construction crew using it before they headed back to Little America. The urine didn't freeze in mid-air, but the intense cold meant that bodily wastes did quickly freeze once they hit--no lingering odor, everything neatly bonded to the frozen pit into which it fell.

He also says that a couple of times it was so cold (seventy below zero, Fahrenheit) that he could hear the moisture in his breath freezing, sounding like far-off fireworks.

As to peeing and getting stuck to the ground, probably wouldn't happen. The Mythbusters guys checked out the story of a homeless man's being electrocuted while urinating on a third rail in a subway. Doesn't work, because as high-speed photography revealed, the stream actually is a barrage of independent drops, hard though that is to believe. So I imagine if it was cold enough to freeze urine, you'd wind up with a lot of tiny little yellow marbles rolling around on the frozen tundra.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a local legend about a fire at a hotel on New Years Day 1918 - "the weather was so cold that water from the firefighting equipment froze before it could reach the fire."

pretty cool pic

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avu
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've done it at -45, but I don't remember the cloud being so big. Maybe wind helped spread it out.

My attempt was a few years ago. I had a small saucepan of water boiling water on the stove, took it out the back door and flung it into the air. Most of the water actually evaporated into ice fog and just a little bit turned into snow.

It's about -40 today, so I suppose I could try it again in the name of science.

Posts: 64 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avu
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried it last night. It's actually kind of fun. It was pretty much as I remembered. I didn't get as big a cloud as in the video and only a small bit of snow fell - most of the water turned to fog.

We're having a hell of a cold snap. -45 today.

Posts: 64 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

We won't be trying it in MN anytime soon. It was 46 today-- the usual average high for late March...

-Tim

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could always have been water fog. Throw it in the air and even though the water splashes there's a big dense fog.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it done before w/coffee. When we were living in Duluth, MN a friend of mine threw the last dregs of cold coffee straight up, and it came back down as ice.

Not buyin' the frozen pee though.. nope. Not possible. [Wink]

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The water could be supercooled. If it's cooled carefully, with no disturbances, it can be below freezing and remain liquid. Once agitated, it will freeze quickly.

Same phenomenon that you see with supercooled (is this the correct term?) rain. The rain drops are below zero, but not frozen, but as soon as they hit the ground they freeze and become a traffic hazard.

Edit: Made crucial correction i second sentence.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages