snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Large mining equipment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Large mining equipment
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

Now I know these type of vehicles (ie, massive tracked excavation vehicles) exist as semi-mobile mining equipment, but I'm not at all convinced that this is real - it looks way to big, and I don't think these are supposed to cross roads.

As an aside, has anyone got (a link to) information about large mining vehicles ?

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
xtargeeter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xtargeeter   E-mail xtargeeter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing something like this on Modern Marvels on the tube. It was used in mining and was located in Germany. They moved it from one loncation to another and had to relocate power, water and sewer lines all along the route. Since it moved very slowly (1-2 mph?) it took a while.
Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real or not, I don't know, but these things are huge, so huge that it may very well be real.

Look at the details. The cranes that are part of the construction, the little "house" at the shovels, which I think is the control central, the threads, the platforms above the shovels. Compare it to the people, and the scale looks about right.

Occasionally, even large equipment must be moved. Look at the ground and the bulldozers and how the road "disappears". Probably, the ground has been prepared for the move, including a thick layer of earth/sand/gravel on the road to protect the pavement from the weight.

I vote real.

Either way, impressive machine. I needed something like that when removing a couple of bushes in the garden last summer. I swear, those bushes had roots straight through the earth, with every Chinese hanging on to the eother end with all their might.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've seen this picture before and I also think it was here on snopes, but I can't find it.

I dimly remember it being real.

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was another thread about the same photo last year but it seems to have gone... as far as I remember it was a real photo of strip-mining equipment taken somewhere in Germany, as xtargeeter said. Somebody found more pictures of the same thing, but I've not turned them up on a quick Google.

There's a (smaller) one for sale here though, if you're interested!

(edit) Ah, here we are, I think this is it:

http://www.arbeiterfotografie.com/galerie/reportage-2001/index-2001-02-08-braunkohlenbagger.html

It appears that it's being moved (or at least, was photographed) between Hambach and Garzweiler in / near the Ruhr valley. Link taken from this thread.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's real, I want one for my birthday.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
There was another thread about the same photo last year but it seems to have gone...

It's not gone, it's archived.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:

If the used one from the UK is too small for you, you can buy a new one from these people, by the looks of things...

(edit) Ah, why didn't I think of looking in the archive?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles, but not waffling

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No you dont, because it turns mountains and streams into this, and this, and this.

Pogue

--------------------

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:

If the used one from the UK is too small for you, you can buy a new one from these people, by the looks of things...
Of cause, you can always go for the original ... (NOTE: no online order option)

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mah-humbug:
quote:

No you dont, because it turns mountains and streams into this, and this, and this.

Pogue

Who says I'd use it for mining ?

--------------------

Don Enrico

quote:
quote:

Pogue

Actually, a landscape these things have had their teeth in tends to look like that:

-

More pictures (before/after/after 're-naturing') here. The page starts with maps showing 10 villages that disappeared in the mining process, scroll down for pictures.

--------------------

Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You'd need one damn big bow! [Wink]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
More pictures (before/after/after 're-naturing') here. The page starts with maps showing 10 villages that disappeared in the mining process, scroll down for pictures.

And the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man

Pogue

--------------------

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Really, Pogue! That thing is a chick magnet!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of mobile evil headquarters-slash-terror weapon but chick magnet works too.

--------------------

WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of mobile evil headquarters-slash-terror weapon but chick magnet works too.

You could drape it with camouflage netting and nobody would be able to see where your hideout was... and if that didn't work, you could always outrun them!

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Damn. Living in Ohio, I'm used to seeing strip mining operations and the moonscapes they create (though to be fair they do make attempts to reclaim the terrain when they're done.) I've never seen entire towns destroyed to make way for a mine, though. If they tried to bulldoze a pretty town like that here, people would be throwing themselves in front of the equipment.

Since I can't read German, can someone explain why these towns were chosen for demolition? Is it just because there just isn't enough "vacant" land left in Germany to mine?

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
Since I can't read German, can someone explain why these towns were chosen for demolition? Is it just because there just isn't enough "vacant" land left in Germany to mine?

Germany isn't very big and quite densly settled, so there actually isn't much "vacant" land at all. More notably, though, there was coal below these villages that was worth mining...

This doesnt happen for mining, only. In the State of Hamburg, the small village of Altenwerder was demolished to make way for a new container shipping terminal, leaving only the (listed) church.

-
 -
web page (tomorrow is actually today now)*

Usually in those cases, the mining (or the container handling) company buys the houses and grounds of the inhabitants of the village for very high prices, while the state offers a "new village" with affordable building ground and all the infrastructur already in place (you can see some pictures of the new village on the page I linked in the earlier post). Sometimes some people refuse to sell their houses. Mostly, those will eventually face eminent domain / compulsory purchase.

There have been protests against this kind of "development", but to my knowledge none have been successfull in the end.

*ETA: As you can get from that link, there is the possibility that another village in Hamburg (Neuenfelde) may have to make way for the runway-extension needed (or so the company claims) for the production of the new Airbus 380.

--------------------

Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:

I couln't help but see it as the kind of elaborate model that used to feature in Thunderbirds. I wonder what kind of disaster could befall such a machine...

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Quotes Pogue typing on his wind-up laptop pc by the light of a recycled ear-wax candle...

[Razz]

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Quotes Pogue typing on his wind-up laptop pc by the light of a recycled ear-wax candle...

[Razz]

My laptop is a direct result of strip mining?

Pogue

--------------------

Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe Hans is refering to the power required to run it.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

[Razz]

My laptop is a direct result of strip mining?

Pogue

Could be. Arizona is the biggest supplier of copper for the US. All of the copper mines I've seen around here are strip mines. So if your laptop or some of its components were built in the US, then the copper in it probably came from strip mines.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah is a large bucket wheel extractor, used for strip mining and other large earth moving projects. The scale of these machines can be totally over whelming.

The Bagger 288 manufactored by Krupp, is the one pictured in the OP and is the largest make of bucket wheel in the world.

* Stands over 95 metres tall
* Is over 215 metres long (2.5 football fields)
* Weighs over 45,500 tons (yes that's 45 thousand tons!)
* Cost $100 million USD, took 5 years to design & manufacture and 5 years to assemble
* Only Requires 5 people to operate
* The Bucket Wheel is over 70 feet in diameter with 20 buckets each of which can hold over 15 cubic metres of material. A 6-foot man can stand up inside one of the buckets.
* It moves on 12 crawlers (each is 3.6 metres wide, 2.4 metres high and 14 metres long)
* 8 in front and 4 in back
* Has a maximum speed of 10m/min
* It can remove over 76,455 cubic metres of overburden each day.

The picture linked in the OP is a picture of a Bagger 288 crossing a highway in Germany enroute to a stripmine.
Article with more pictures, translated by Babelfish
 -

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Steph   E-mail Steph   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Pogue

I agree, simply look at the picture of the surrounding land... awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 56 | From: Sturgis, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages