snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Mud map of Australia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mud map of Australia
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this one has been shopped, but I'm not too good at telling the signs yet. I thought I saw evidence of photoshop at the edges of the water, but it could just be ripples in the surface too. Anyone?

-

me

[ 22. December 2005, 06:52 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't seem shopped to me. It would be a difficult one to do, but then again it doesn't seem perfect. The wet mud around the water makes it seem more realistic to me.

I vote real.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be easy enough to fake with a shovel and a bucket. Why bother shopping it?

ETA: If you zoom in, "Tasmania" looks like a pile of damp mud, rather than a hole.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Linden
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linden   Author's Homepage   E-mail Linden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess: a real puddle with photoshop additions. The bit corresponding to Western Australia looks genuine, but Tasmania looks fake, the way it's imposed on the tyre marks. I reckon someone said `Hey, this puddle looks like a map of Australia' and remedied the parts where it didn't.

--------------------
Yours, &c

Linden

Posts: 190 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Army News, produced for the Australian Army, the picture was taken in Sudan by ADF personnel.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unknown Soldier
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unknown Soldier   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unknown Soldier   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If Australians were the ones taking and commenting on this photo, isn't the image "upside down" relative to the way most Aussies view the world? ...or is that just a fun myth about Aussies that we Americans are told to make us feel sheepish? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Clickity Click!

Posts: 69 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fun myth, I'm afraid. It wouldn't do to have Tasmania at the top of the world.

--------------------

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Besides, if Tazzie were at the top, that would make it hard for Australian women to get around.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Tasmania" looks like a pile of damp mud, rather than a hole.
Of course - because it's Adelaide that's a hole. [fish]

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus
Besides, if Tazzie were at the top, that would make it hard for Australian women to get around.

True, it would mean either a lot of waxing, or the sudden need to walk around in a handstand position.

--------------------

Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I searched Worth100 for a possible "Make a country out of water puddles" contest and found none.So far I'd say real

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though that might be an idea for Worth1000 - Maps could appear anywhere (Cows, puddles, flocks of any animals).

Since the puddle works well with the "texture" of the surroundings I'd also vote "real puddle and coincidence" with possibly some digging and/or photoshopping for Tasmania and one or two other places.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that Tasmania looks faked. The rest is tough to tell. It's certainly plausible that parallel tire ruts would leave two elongated sections possibly joined in the center by a low spot in the road.

Steve s.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know why you'd think Tasmania is faked. It looks like they messed up that bit, but got the rest of the puddle right.

Real, just with a strange/slightly messed up Tasmania.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:
According to Army News, produced for the Australian Army, the picture was taken in Sudan by ADF personnel.

Well that seems like a reliable source, and I've never been to Sudan, but the vegetation and dirt sure looks Australian.

I see no evidence of photoshop, and if it is photoshop is very subtly done because a number of features are the wrong shape (e.g. the Great Australian Bight shape is quite wrong).

I think I can see evidence of digging around the north-west and south of Western Australia (the latter looks like some wet area's been filled in to the right of the stick). I also suspect Tasmania's been dug artificially. The East coast looks untouched.

I vote real photo; a cute natural feature, slightly enhanced by digging.

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoah! I've just noticed that the
Army News Photo is a cropped version of the

Original photo in this thread

Based on that, I don't think it's really an Australian army photo from Sudan.

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by rocksong:

Why not?

--------------------

rocksong
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Em:
quote:
Originally posted by rocksong:

Why not?
Well why should it be, since the army page photo is a cropped version of the original? Besides that, the army page is a light hearted page titled "only joking"; and the soil and vegetation looks Australian.

ETA: I guess it's possible that an Army guy in Sudan sent his photo to the Army newspaper (who cropped it) and then also released it on the internet (uncropped). It just seems unlikely to me. The VERY Australian-looking background swings it for me.

Em
Happy Holly Days

Perhaps Me, no really could tell us where he found the picture in the OP. I've waded through a couple of hundred photos on the DOD website, but with no luck.

I agree the background looks Aussie. My first thought was that it was of somewhere in WA. The main reason I feel a bit iffy about it being what it claims to be is that defence publications are usually careful to print the name of whoever it was who took a photo they publish. If they didn't, it may be because it was sent in anonymously.

The fact that the Army News version is a cropped version of another picture doesn't push me one way or the other. I still think it was faked, but I think it was done physically, not via photoshop.

--------------------

me, no really

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, forgot to mention that I recieved the original in an email titled "Nature the cartographer" without much comment, so the email I received doesn't even try to give an idea of the origin of the image.

me

--------------------

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really

Just found another copy of it here and left a message to ask if the user has any light to shed

me

--------------------

Em
Happy Holly Days

It seems to be popping up all over the place. I've found it on another couple of sites, but with no word as to the origin.
We may never know... [Frown]

--------------------

Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the longer I look at it, the less I consider Tasmania a fake. The reason? Well, actually, quite a lot of puddles af a general shape like Australia, with two Bulges east and west and a narrower part in the middle. And someone in this thread was quite right, that the north coast is not too convincing. It may need Tasmania to get the idea.

On the other hand, I never understood how you could see The Big J on potato chips, either.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
richard b.
If you're gonna scream, scream with me.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richard b.   Author's Homepage   E-mail richard b.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the photo itself looks real... it's the story behind it that is dubious.
Posts: 41 | From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The puddle looks real, though I suspect the likeness to Australia is partially due to the angle of the photo...

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages