snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Corvette under truck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corvette under truck
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone sent me a picture of a Corvette that ran under a semi truck.

Anyone know if it's real?

At the risk of sounding like everyone who forwards ULs, the picture looks real and the damage appears to be consitent with the way a Corvette gets damaged when wrecked.

ETA: Damn, the pics turned out huge. They weren't that big in my browser while on ogrish.

-
 -

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks real to me. The two pictures are consistant with each other even though they are from different angles. The reflection in the puddle seems correct and there are no obvious edit lines.

I can say with some certainly that the caption is correct. Since the truck is on the shoulder, it could very well have been stalled. The Corvette has pushed back the bar that is supposed to prevent this accident (visible in front of the rear tire in the first photo) and damaged itself quite severly, so it could have been going very fast. From the amount of damage to the roof and front, the driver could very easily have been killed. And since the passanger door was not pulled off by the paramedics, it would seem the driver was alone in the vehicle.

I noticed a yellow cover in the first picture and a black cover (over the hood of the rear cop car). I wonder if they cover some part of the driver's body.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The picture certainly shows no signs of obvious manipulation. The only thing that concerns me is that as GenYus stated the Corvette must of been travelling at extreme speeds to make it that far under the truck considering the safety bar on the back of semis to prevent a car from going under them.

However it is very possible. The Corvette is a very low to the ground car so the safety bar would be less effective against it and I can certainly see this happening if the car was travelling at high enough speeds.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I can't figure out is the URL on the back of the police car. It something-wahpd.org or something-vahpd.org and a google search of a wildcard plus those two strings on Google produces nothing usefull.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Can't find this exact incident in any news reports (still looking) but I have discovered that semis hate Corvettes.

From 1-480 on August 30th, 2005

-

-

--------------------

GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
The only thing I can't figure out is the URL on the back of the police car. It something-wahpd.org or something-vahpd.org and a google search of a wildcard plus those two strings on Google produces nothing usefull.

My detective work indicates that it is probably mahwahpd.org, the website for the Mahwah, NJ police department. If you click on that link, you'll even see a picture of one of their cars, which looks like the car in the photo. A NJ police car would be reasonable as the Corvette has NY plates.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it's no longer showed on the provided link GenYus. They must have deleted the article. There's not even an archives folder and no incidents folder.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
it's no longer showed on the provided link GenYus. They must have deleted the article. There's not even an archives folder and no incidents folder.

Sorry. I meant that the link shows a picture of one of their cars in general, not one of their cars shown at this accident scene.

--------------------

mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd seen these pics on another message board, and the consensus was that the tarp on the ground was covering an arm, and that the blot on the back of the truck was due to impact with the driver's head at high speed. I can't remember if someone on that message board had insider info, or if it was just speculation, however.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages