snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Brian Peppers makes Fox news... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Brian Peppers makes Fox news...
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 202 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.foxtoledo.com/index.cfm?action=dsp_story&storyid=87887

I don't think that removing his registry will stop it... the guy's a legend! [Razz]

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw his picture offered as an avatar on one sight.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“Its doing a disservice to the law and people are going to end up hurting the law,” says assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Lori Olender. “These people here are going to be to blame when we don't know where sex offenders are."
What! How is this doing a disservice to the law? Also, what is she talking about when she says that, "These people here are going to be to blame when we don't know where sex offenders are?" Is she talking about having to stop the database because people are "abusing" it like this, give me a break!

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boots - no longer muffin with honey:
quote:
“Its doing a disservice to the law and people are going to end up hurting the law,” says assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Lori Olender. “These people here are going to be to blame when we don't know where sex offenders are."
What! How is this doing a disservice to the law? Also, what is she talking about when she says that, "These people here are going to be to blame when we don't know where sex offenders are?" Is she talking about having to stop the database because people are "abusing" it like this, give me a break!
I think she is concerned about Ohio's registry moving the same way as New Jersey's, where offender addresses are no longer public information. Therefore, if you are looking for offenders in your neighborhood, you will not be able to search by address.

In my state it is illegal to use offender registry information for anything other than its intended purpose, but I can't recall anyone's ever being prosecuted for it.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the abuse she was talking about though. I can't really see somebody as taking his picture from the database and photoshopping it as abuse. I remember someone supposedly calling him from the phone number (I guess which he found through the database), but that turned out to be completely untrue, didn't it?

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boots - no longer muffin with honey:
What was the abuse she was talking about though. I can't really see somebody as taking his picture from the database and photoshopping it as abuse. I remember someone supposedly calling him from the phone number (I guess which he found through the database), but that turned out to be completely untrue, didn't it?

It's clearly an abuse of the system, or at least the purpose for which the system is designed. I don't think these public sex offender registers are designed so that when someone a bit funny looking is convicted of a sex crime we can send their photograph all over cyberspace saying "Haw Haw Haw" or so visitors to message boards can choose them as their avatar. Whether or not it is actual abuse or harassment of Mr Peppers is another matter. I think it probably is. He must know that his photo is being circulated in this fashion, and it must have had some ramifications for him.

And while I don't know one way or another whether or not Mr Peppers has been subject to physical harassment over and above this, it strikes me as unlikely that he hasn't; if I'm in London, and I know who Brian Peppers is and that he's a sex offender who looks a bit funny, then it seems unreasonable to think that the one place in the world where this photo isn't circulating is his home town.

This is not to try and condone anything that Mr Peppers has done, but it seems as though he's being punished for this offence over and above how someone not suffering from his disability would be punished for the same offence. Cruel and unusual, if you ask me.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a side note, that has to be the most poorly written article I've ever seen on a news site.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I love an article about a picture then they don't show the damn thing.

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me Lord...I know I'm wrong, but every time I see that guy I can't help but crack up laughing. If I was on that order I'd keep as low a profile as possible.

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, go ahead and laugh.

That's why I made this: http://brianliljon.ytmnd.com

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 88 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's clearly an abuse of the system, or at least the purpose for which the system is designed. I don't think these public sex offender registers are designed so that when someone a bit funny looking is convicted of a sex crime we can send their photograph all over cyberspace saying "Haw Haw Haw" or so visitors to message boards can choose them as their avatar.
But:

a) Pictures of *anybody* whose appearance differs significantly enough from the norm to be considered "funny" or "weird" are going to be made fun of by somebody, somewhere. That's a fact of life; it isn't specific to sex offenders.

b) One would have to be incredibly naive to make the personal information of sex offenders readily available on-line and *not* expect it to be abused. That a large segment of society is rabidly intolerant of sex offenders is one of the main reasons why such information has been made public in the first place.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lazenby! Nice to see another YTMND alum on here. I made a few Brian Peppers sites as well. (the last two might not be safe for work)

http://peppersposter.ytmnd.com/ (hit refresh when it loads)
http://orcapeppers.ytmnsfw.com/
http://kermitpeppers.ytmnd.com/

There are 100's of peppers sites on www.ytmnd.com
These are just a few of them.

Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This makes me a terrible, horrible, shallow person I know... BUT....

Brian Peppers scares the NFBSK out of me. I cry when people try to make me look at his picture. I'm not saying this to be funny/mean/etc, I'm serious. I had to hold a book over the screen to make sure that there where no pictures.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would being scared of a hideous looking convicted sex offender make you a horrible shallow person?
Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably because he would be equally scary-looking if he weren't a sex offender.

I try not to look at the ytmnds that make fun of him (although I love the site in general) because I think it must be awful to be trapped in a body that everyone in the world will think is hideous. It's one thing to be unattractive, but he looks so bad that he probably would have great difficulty getting a job or even going out in public, even if his sex-offender-registry picture was not famous.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lazenby and 7th wheel you all are so silly and I'm sorry, but Nocturnal Goddess you sent me over the edge. I laughed so hard I'm crying!!!

Although it did take me a good 2 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on in that Sea World pic!!!!!

*************Holds back vomit******************

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of curiousity - have other people considered the possibility of being made fun of in these manners having led to him becoming a sex offender?

I'm not saying that that's what happened - I'm only an amatuer psychologist and I know nothing about the particulars of his case. But being mocked, feeling very insecure, being unable to find social acceptance or sexual partners, having underdeveloped maturity as a result, developing personality disorders as a result, taking out your aggressive and/or frustration on someone vulnerable...it seems like there could be a case to be made there.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Daehnke:
Out of curiousity - have other people considered the possibility of being made fun of in these manners having led to him becoming a sex offender?

I'm not saying that that's what happened - I'm only an amatuer psychologist and I know nothing about the particulars of his case. But being mocked, feeling very insecure, being unable to find social acceptance or sexual partners, having underdeveloped maturity as a result, developing personality disorders as a result, taking out your aggressive and/or frustration on someone vulnerable...it seems like there could be a case to be made there.

A "case" for what exactly? Sure these issues could lead to an individual lashing out in some way, but they're still the ones responsible for their actions- those factors aren't an excuse.

ETA: I'm not implying that you think they are as I understand your point- but I don't think it matters as far as responsibility goes.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
Presumably because he would be equally scary-looking if he weren't a sex offender.

Exactly right. What if this guy was just a regular citezen, or even, a great citezen? A regular guy who volunteered and soup kitchens and was a genuinly, all-around great guy? I'd still be terrified by him.

ETA wow... my above spelling was so atrocious... I actually find it amusing and refuse to correct it [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't feel bad, Nocturnal Goddess, the first time I saw the picture I was scared for weeks.

It was when I was looking at the What's New page of the ULRP and I read the description, which was something to the effect of "picture supposedly of a convicted sex offender" but better written, so I just assumed it was a picture of a guy and someone was trying to make it look like he was a sex offender or something. When I scrolled down to the picture I yelped and closed out the window.

The odd thing is that pictures of disfigured/deformed people scare me, but I've met quite a few in real life and have treated them normally and thought of them as I would anyone else (well, not exactly, as I realized they were odd looking), and I was not scared of them. I had a class with a boy in high school who had a very disfigured head and face even though he'd been having surgeries for years because of some condition I wasn't sure of. He became my lab partner and we got along fine until he suddenly decided to start kicking my feet as I walked down the stairs and making rude comments to me.
I've also known a few burn victims whose faces were badly damaged and was a classroom helper to a special needs boy whose face looked like a Halloween mask (I know that sounds harsh, but it's the best way I can describe it), and they never creeped me out or frightened me, but a picture on t.v. or the internet and I'm peeking from behind the shower curtain. I wonder why that is. Maybe because when I'm actually around the person it lets me see them as another human being, instead of just a scary face.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
A "case" for what exactly? Sure these issues could lead to an individual lashing out in some way, but they're still the ones responsible for their actions- those factors aren't an excuse.

Oh - I wasn't speaking about his responsibility at all, although I now see how my statement could be construed to mean that. I happen to think that people are almost always fully responsible for their own actions, regardless of the circumstances.

What I was actually doing was questioning the wisdom/morality of the public mocking of his appearance that seems to be popular (not that everyone posting here is mocking him, but some clearly are or are linking to those that do). I think that to do so is terrible and can have terrible results. Actually, from what I understand of behavioral psychology, the repeated public exposure and shaming of convicted sex offenders is probably the most effective way to ensure that they continue to do it again and again. If you look at other similar behaviors that people sometimes attempt to suppress - promiscuity, homosexuality, masturbation, drug use - shaming often ensures that the person will merely feel awful about themselves and try to hide the problem externally, while continuing to compulsively participate "behind closed doors" at an almost uncontrolable level.

In other words, I think that continuous attempts at public exposure of convicted sex offenders is a bad idea, and the ridicule of Brian for his physical appearance on top of his actions is doubly so. It would probably be a good idea to keep sex offenses as a public record (so you can check on baby sitters or whose homes your kids can stay at), but I would feel a lot better if that information was only spread on a need-to-know basis.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamsy
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Kamsy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kamsy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All! I'm very new to the snopes community, and was just content to sit back and read comments from others; however, I feel the need to comment on the Mr. Peppers "issue". True...you will always have ignorant people who will make fun of those who look different from them, and I'm sure that Mr. Peppers has had to deal with that from such people in his community his entire life. However...IF Mr. Pepper hadn't made the choice to VICTIMIZE someone sexually, he wouldn't have opened HIMSELF up to ridicule from the ENTIRE WORLD because there would have been no need to post his picture in the first place. This is HIS HELL.....He brought it upon himself. I'm sure his "suffering" is NOTHING compared to that of his INNOCENT victim.
Posts: 3 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What I was actually doing was questioning the wisdom/morality of the public mocking of his appearance that seems to be popular (not that everyone posting here is mocking him, but some clearly are or are linking to those that do). I think that to do so is terrible and can have terrible results.

I do understand what you're saying here, but again those "terrible results" would be the choice of the person. And it's JMO but I don't see what goes on here or the other boards as an antagonistic issue to which Mr. Pepper's would have a reason to lash out about. If he's reading this stuff, he can stop. If he continues to read this stuff about himself while getting angry about it, then that's another bad choice he's made. Personally I feel a bit for the guy because of the way he looks. The fact that he's an offender means little because 1) I know very little about what he did so I can only base my opinions accordiingly and 2) no matter what he did, he probably had one hell of a childhood (just an assumpton) and he certainly deserved some compasion then and quite possibly did not get it. Does that excuse whatever he did? Hell no, but I do feel for him a bit. "Normal looking" sex offenders can easily start over, get decent job's etc. but this guy doesn't have a great chance of a whole lot IMO simply because of his looks.

quote:
Actually, from what I understand of behavioral psychology, the repeated public exposure and shaming of convicted sex offenders is probably the most effective way to ensure that they continue to do it again and again. If you look at other similar behaviors that people sometimes attempt to suppress - promiscuity, homosexuality, masturbation, drug use - shaming often ensures that the person will merely feel awful about themselves and try to hide the problem externally, while continuing to compulsively participate "behind closed doors" at an almost uncontrolable level.
I'd love to see a cite for this. And I'm also interested why you're stating that promiscuity, homosexuality, masturbation and drug use are similar to sex crimes.

quote:

In other words, I think that continuous attempts at public exposure of convicted sex offenders is a bad idea, and the ridicule of Brian for his physical appearance on top of his actions is doubly so. It would probably be a good idea to keep sex offenses as a public record (so you can check on baby sitters or whose homes your kids can stay at), but I would feel a lot better if that information was only spread on a need-to-know basis.

IMO the registries exist for a good reason but there will be abuses of the system and if there are victims as a result of said abuse, personally I'd rather have those vicitms be the offenders and not the general public.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kamsy:
Hi All! I'm very new to the snopes community, and was just content to sit back and read comments from others; however, I feel the need to comment on the Mr. Peppers "issue". True...you will always have ignorant people who will make fun of those who look different from them, and I'm sure that Mr. Peppers has had to deal with that from such people in his community his entire life. However...IF Mr. Pepper hadn't made the choice to VICTIMIZE someone sexually, he wouldn't have opened HIMSELF up to ridicule from the ENTIRE WORLD because there would have been no need to post his picture in the first place. This is HIS HELL.....He brought it upon himself. I'm sure his "suffering" is NOTHING compared to that of his INNOCENT victim.

Hi Kamsy, welcome to the board. When you've been around here for a while, you'll probably notice that we tend not to go in for random or emphatic capitalization so much.

Do you know what offence Mr Peppers was convicted of? I don't either, but I seem to remember when the picture first started circulating that his conviction was as a result of a plea bargain, and the offence for which he was committed was wide enough to possibly range from something relatively minor, such as exposure, to an act of non-penetrative molestation.

It strikes me that if we have no idea exactly what is his offence was, we're in no real position to decide that:

quote:
He brought it upon himself. I'm sure his "suffering" is NOTHING compared to that of his INNOCENT victim.
For example, I'd rather someone flashed me their chap (as I say, one of the less serious acts covered by his conviction) than see my picture be posted all round the world as some sort of freak.

Of course, and again, I am not condoning whatever Mr Peppers has done. But I don't think the fact that someone's a sex offender gives one a free pass to mock.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
Of course, and again, I am not condoning whatever Mr Peppers has done. But I don't think the fact that someone's a sex offender gives one a free pass to mock.

Do we even know what he did? I know that he was charged with "Gross Sexual Imposition," but I don't know that means.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MapMaker   Author's Homepage   E-mail MapMaker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel so left out. Apparently I am the only one in the world that has not seen the pictures of this guy that were not spoof pics. [Frown]

Edited to fix the word left from felt [lol]

--------------------
"I'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" -Stephen Colbert

Posts: 468 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, from what I understand of behavioral psychology, the repeated public exposure and shaming of convicted sex offenders is probably the most effective way to ensure that they continue to do it again and again...shaming often ensures that the person will merely feel awful about themselves and try to hide the problem externally, while continuing to compulsively participate "behind closed doors" at an almost uncontrolable level.

Don't most child molesters sneak around behind closed doors already? The point in making their information public is not to shame or punish them (that’s what prison was for), it's to try to lessen the chance that they'll be given the opportunity again.
quote:
It would probably be a good idea to keep sex offenses as a public record (so you can check on baby sitters or whose homes your kids can stay at), but I would feel a lot better if that information was only spread on a need-to-know basis.
How would that work? How does one prove one 'needs to know'? How does one even know one needs the information in the first place? If you already suspected creepy neighbor guy, you wouldn't need the registry to tell you to keep your kids out of his backyard.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 600 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Demonwolf, this link gives a definition.

The thing that bothers me more is that it was a plea bargain. This could mean he really did whichever act got him charged, but I think it could also mean that there just wasn't enough hope of winning the case for him to take his chances getting a harsher sentence. If that's the case he might have even thought that the jury would not listen to him because of his looks. I have nothing but specualtion to base that on, but if there happens to be any truth to it, it's sad.

ETA:

quote:
posted by MapMaker
I feel so left out. Apparently I am the only one in the world that has not seen the pictures of this guy that were not spoof pics.

Here you go.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
The offender purposely compels the other person, or one of the other persons, to submit by force or threat of force.
So basically he may have not even have touched another person, but just threatened them if they resisted. Not that that's a good thing but it certainly could have been worse.

I also have to wonder what the scenario was for the crime. Is he perhaps mentally challenged also and in the company of others like that and he tried something with? Not assuming as fact, just a thought.

Or perhaps he used to be a dentist? [Big Grin]

quote:
(3) The offender knows that the judgment or control of the other person or of one of the other persons is substantially impaired as a result of the influence of any drug or intoxicant administered to the other person with the other person's consent for the purpose of any kind of medical or dental examination, treatment, or surgery.

MapMaker
Maximillian Andorra

Thanks Candy.

I now wish I hadn't asked.

--------------------

Kamsy
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamsy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kamsy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When you've been around here for a while, you'll probably notice that we tend not to go in for random or emphatic capitalization so much.

First let me apologize to anyone who misinterpreted my use of capitalized words...I tend to do it to emphasize those words I would emphasize if I were speaking.

quote:
Do you know what offence Mr Peppers was convicted of? I don't either, but I seem to remember when the picture first started circulating that his conviction was as a result of a plea bargain, and the offence for which he was committed was wide enough to possibly range from something relatively minor, such as exposure, to an act of non-penetrative molestation.
Having worked with children and adults who have been victimized by sexual predators, I can assure you that there is no such thing as "minor" acts. What seems minor or even humorous to you and I as adults, such as having someone flash their winky at us, is enough to give a small child nightmares. Being fondled is no less traumatic than being penetrated when someone is being molested. The psychological ramifications can be devestating no matter how "minor" we judge the perpetrator's actions to be.

quote:
But I don't think the fact that someone's a sex offender gives one a free pass to mock.
I would agree that Mr. Peppers's status of sex offender does not give one license to mock. My point was that when it does happen it is being done by people who have access to his picture because it is posted on a website listing individuals who are sex offenders. If he had not commited such a crime, his picture would not be open to the mockery of the world. In my profession, I have also worked with people who are disfigured...including one young man who greatly resembled Mr. Peppers....I would never condone anyone's teasing of someone with a physical deformity. I merely feel that the world's eyes would not be focused on Mr. Peppers had he not commited the act/acts he did...a choice he made for himself. I must also mention that he is, in all likelihood, of average intelligence; otherwise, he would have "gotten off" (no pun intended) on the criteria of being of diminished mental capacity.
Posts: 3 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

quote:
However...IF Mr. Pepper hadn't made the choice to VICTIMIZE someone sexually, he wouldn't have opened HIMSELF up to ridicule from the ENTIRE WORLD because there would have been no need to post his picture in the first place. This is HIS HELL.....He brought it upon himself. I'm sure his "suffering" is NOTHING compared to that of his INNOCENT victim.

Quite a lot to say when you have no idea what he did.

I have never tried to justify his actions. I simply ask that we attempt to create the circumstances under which they do not happen again. If you care so much about victims, then why wouldn't you support actions that hope to reduce the number of sex offender victims? You can blame and blame and blame all you want, but making fun of Brian certainly isn't helping any kids.

--------------------
away...

prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
I do understand what you're saying here, but again those "terrible results" would be the choice of the person. And it's JMO but I don't see what goes on here or the other boards as an antagonistic issue to which Mr. Pepper's would have a reason to lash out about. If he's reading this stuff, he can stop. If he continues to read this stuff about himself while getting angry about it, then that's another bad choice he's made.

Great. So if someone else gets molested because this guy keeps getting made fun of, then hey, no skin of your back. As long as it's Brian's fault you don't care what happens, right?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TuFurg:
[QB]]I'd love to see a cite for this. And I'm also interested why you're stating that promiscuity, homosexuality, masturbation and drug use are similar to sex crimes. [QUOTE][qb]

I didn't say they were similar. I didn't even say they were all bad. I said that they were actions that people try to use shame to control. And, as far as I've seen (both in academics and in personal experience) shame is entirely counterproductive in controling them. I'm sorry I don't have the cites with me - they're at work and I might remember on Monday. But ask anyone in the field - I'm under the impression that it's a widely accepted understanding.

--------------------
away...

Kamsy
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Kamsy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kamsy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have never tried to justify his actions. I simply ask that we attempt to create the circumstances under which they do not happen again.

I agree 100%.

quote:
If you care so much about victims, then why wouldn't you support actions that hope to reduce the number of sex offender victims?
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I don't support such actions. I believe that keeping the public informed as to who the offenders are and when they are living in our backyards is one way of doing so.
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
When you've been around here for a while, you'll probably notice that we tend not to go in for random or emphatic capitalization so much.

First let me apologize to anyone who misinterpreted my use of capitalized words...I tend to do it to emphasize those words I would emphasize if I were speaking.
I think italics are appropriate for emphasis, used sparingly. There is also bold, but I don't think thats any better than capitalization when used for emphasis. For italics you would type
code:
[i]example phrase[/i]

around the content you want italicized. Check the UBB Code for more options.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages