snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Laughing Interview

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laughing Interview
Sum Thucker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Sum Thucker   E-mail Sum Thucker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real or a television skit? I vote skit because of the editing. I only know that I laugh every time I watch it. Laughing Interview
Posts: 19 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote fake -- too much laughing over not enough funny -- particularly at the very end.

Although the other guy does sound an awful lot like Winnie the Pooh...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At this point I could go either way. I have no idea what they're saying, but the sound of Pooh's voice seems enough to set this guy off- and the guy does sound funny.

Certainly plausible IMO and if it were a skit I'd expect more of a scripted part for Pooh- him getting angry or whatever. Instead he (and every else) pretty much reacts like I might expect- no one else is laughing and doesn't quite know what to make of it.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote Dutch. Apart from that I vote real. This guys voice surely should not freak you out, but it may do.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Sum, the camera switching looks to be done to be sure and catch the host's laughing, and the guest's reaction to his laughing.

I can't imagine a control room crew specifically going to those shots in a situation like this.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
I vote fake -- too much laughing over not enough funny -- particularly at the very end.

Actually, that's why I thought it might be real... I know I've been in situations where I got to laughing at something really stupid and just could not stop -- and the more I try to hold it in, the worse it gets. It's bad when you're in the middle of a class or in a movie theater (or, I'd imagine, in the middle of an interview [Razz]

Although it's hard to vote real or fake without understanding what's being said.. is the couple being interviewed having some kind of marital problem?

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Neko:
I know I've been in situations where I got to laughing at something really stupid and just could not stop -- and the more I try to hold it in, the worse it gets.

Me too, but never to the point where I was screaming with laughter. But ya never know.

I, too, would love a translation, if anyone could do that.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sum Thucker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Sum Thucker   E-mail Sum Thucker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Found a much longer clip containing the previously posted one. Watch it all and I think you'll agree we're deal with a brief "mockumentary" of sorts.

Laughing Interview - The Whole Story

Posts: 19 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say fake not watched the second clip yet but I was more interested in the audience. Not one hint of a reaction, like some one has told them to look indignant. It seems unlikely that through the whole of that not one person would have had even a slght giggle with the interviewer.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell you for a fact that it's fake! It's an scetch (sp?) for a belgian TV show called "In de Gloria".
You could compare it to the monthy python style of old, but not as good (of course!). Still is darn funny though!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emke:
I can tell you for a fact that it's fake! It's an scetch (sp?) for a belgian TV show called "In de Gloria".
You could compare it to the monthy python style of old, but not as good (of course!). Still is darn funny though!! [Big Grin]

Can you fill us in on what's going on there? It's obviously about funny voices, but are these guys in on the "joke" or what? If it's all acted- it's pretty good.

Not that it matters, but I did see several people crack smiles and the guy behind "Pooh" had his face covered most of the time and looked like he was having a difficult time keeping a straight face. MOst of what I'm getting in searches is in Belgian, and obviously I'm not Belgian.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of being a wise guy, "Belgian" would be "Flemish" and in effect "Dutch" [Smile]

Anyway, none of the sites I found gave a transcript of the spoken words, and my understanding of spoken Dutch is close to nought unfortunately (reading is way easier since Dutch is very closely related to the Lower German dialects of my region).

Still, apparently not everyone knows this show, but all get corrected on the sites I found. It's of course just as Emke stated, "In de Gloria" being a sketch show making fun of standard TV formats, this here being the talk show of "Boemerang". Maybe Emke can give a general gist of what they are talking about?

Ulkomaalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
At the risk of being a wise guy, "Belgian" would be "Flemish" and in effect "Dutch" [Smile]

Wouldn't have thought that at all... I almost put "Belgiumese" for the heck of it [Razz] Actually I appreciate it- I'm officially smarter now.

Or perhaps I should say "more intelligent". [Wink]

Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well..it's supposed to be about the woman who had an operation when she was younger , but the docter messed up and now she's paralised. It's all acted (thank god...imagine if it weren't).
If you've watched the full version...it's an interview with the host of the show, who is now a star and they look back on some of his "best moments", the laughing interview being one of them.

To give you an idea of the type of show...they did the thing with "what is the stangest place you have had sex?" Hilarious!! For those of you who do understand Dutch : http://users.pandora.be/gva/indegloria.wmv

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Warning, after watching this a couple times you may start to laugh along.

That has got to be the sweetest "warning" I have ever read in my life.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I do not have speakers on my computer, thus no sound. What's so funny about the interview?

Sister "curious" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The male interviewee has a very strange, fey squeaky voice, and appears to be talking about a subject very sad and dear to his heart. The juxtaposition of daft voice with tragic subject means that the interviewer keeps corpsing with laughter whenever this man begins to reply. It all looks (and sounds) very staged, as has been shown above.

Monty Python it ain't.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
djp72
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
funny and staged for sure
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ending is like some kind of screwed-up symphony - the man in the back growling, Pooh squeaking, and the interviewer screaming all at once. I don't know why it's so funny, since I don't understand the language. I guess laugther really is contagious! [Big Grin]

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm only laughing because the idiot is laughing. I don't even understand what they are saying. I need a foreign (video displays it as a .IS) translator to find out what it is they are saying.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
I'm only laughing because the idiot is laughing. I don't even understand what they are saying. I need a foreign (video displays it as a .IS) translator to find out what it is they are saying.

.is = Iceland. The adress in the clip only takes you to an Icelandic "funny videos" site, like the one in the OP.

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Neko:
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:

Actually, that's why I thought it might be real... I know I've been in situations where I got to laughing at something really stupid and just could not stop -- and the more I try to hold it in, the worse it gets. It's bad when you're in the middle of a class or in a movie theater (or, I'd imagine, in the middle of an interview [Razz]

I've been there too!

On a BBC blooper compilation (one of the shows hosted by Terry Wogan) there was a serious interview being conducted about minesweeping - I think it was something to do with the Falkland Islands - and for no clear reason the interviewer (never named) got a fit of the giggles after an unwise bon mot early on. The show displayed nine takes of the same moment, in which half the time the interviewer didn't even get a single word out before corpsing.

It was hilarious.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:
[QUOTE]
On a BBC blooper compilation (one of the shows hosted by Terry Wogan) there was a serious interview being conducted about minesweeping - I think it was something to do with the Falkland Islands - and for no clear reason the interviewer (never named) got a fit of the giggles after an unwise bon mot early on. The show displayed nine takes of the same moment, in which half the time the interviewer didn't even get a single word out before corpsing.

It was hilarious.

OT but I sometimes watch those blooper programmes as wallpaper but I can’t stand the ones that show someone cracking up then showing them cracking up in 5/6/7/8 more takes. It’s really boring. More people being head butted by goats and less crack ups please, Terry Wogan.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched one live...

A TV station in Cleveland circa 1990, ran a fluff story about something that was just ridiculously funny, and both anchors were laughing their heads off. Then the camera tightened in on the female anchor...

She cleared her throat and got a serious look, saying something along the lines of, "And on to a more serious subject: the multiple gang-rape of a local woman *BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..."

She could NOT hold it together - and the story was horrific in its content. The male anchor was falling out of his chair while trying to hold it together (and failing).

She tried four or five times, but lost control and began to twitter and chortle, then guffaw... they finally they cut to commercial - then didn't run the story when they came back

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Red Squirrel:
OT but I sometimes watch those blooper programmes as wallpaper but I can’t stand the ones that show someone cracking up then showing them cracking up in 5/6/7/8 more takes. It’s really boring. More people being head butted by goats and less crack ups please, Terry Wogan.

I agree... when I was younger I'm sure these programmes used to be funny. These days they're mostly just six takes of somebody messing up their lines slightly and swearing. Normally the swearing is bleeped but if it's "TV's Naughtiest Blunders" they show exactly the same clips without bleeping the swearing. Where are all the women with their clothes falling off?!

I suppose there was more archive footage to look through when they were first broadcast whereas now they only have the last few month's worth of "new" material.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages