snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Legless Linebacker sacks Quarterback?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legless Linebacker sacks Quarterback?
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me for not actually having the video. I did many google searches. Where this video is is in Ocean City, Maryland at the Ripley's Believe it or not Museum. It was the video on the outside screen that tries to get people to buy a ticket to go in. In any case, has anyone seen this video and is it real?
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, CNNSI is running a photo gallery on a legless high school football player today. I don't know if this is the same one that's showing at the Ripley's but it at least shows it's possible.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't surprise me. There is also an amateur wrestler who had no legs. (At least one...I think I read it on the boards so feel free to chow)

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Oddly enough, CNNSI is running a photo gallery on a legless high school football player today. I don't know if this is the same one that's showing at the Ripley's but it at least shows it's possible.

Gibbie

You know what made me mad?

quote:

It's halftime of a game in Dayton on Sept. 16 -- Colonel White High against Mount Healthy. After Colonel White leaves the locker room, the refs approach the coaches on the sideline. Crew chief Dennis Daly announces, "Number 99 cannot play in this game anymore. He's not wearing shoes, knee pads or thigh pads."

Some people are just.... argh..... not going to say anything now, would have to wash my mouth with soap.

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The QB got sacked by this guy? No offense meant, but it's got to be hard to live that down.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope they follow this story. If they want literal interpretation of the rules, he could always sew small shoes, knee pads and thigh pads to his jersey. Then he'd be wearing them.

I honestly don't know how some people can be like that (the ref) and still live with themselves. NFBSKing hateful. And it was probably because the other team bitched.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a blurb in the latest Sports Illustrated about this, the conference (or whatever enforces the rules) said the referees overstepped their authority. They have cleared the legless kid to play in other games.

(I'm going from memory, so don't quote me on this!)

ETA link to story (registration required)

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
The QB got sacked by this guy? No offense meant, but it's got to be hard to live that down.

I don't know about that. Never played, but I'd imagine a 3 foot legless guy might be easy to miss.
If not, it might freak a guy out enough to throw him off his game.

I'm surprised those SI pics haven't made their way here. Interesting indeed.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rheyn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheyn   E-mail Rheyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Photo-A-Chow

--------------------
"I'm going to kick so much a** for you, I'm going to take no prisoners, I'm going to be your ninja assassin!" - Carter Duryea

Posts: 7 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is great, this thread was chowed, to the other thread chowed to here. A circular chow.

"C'mon fellas, let's sit in a circle, and chow each other..."

Alright, I'm done being silly. I can easily see the QB getting sacked by this athlete. I'm right handed. When I was playing football, I was quarterback. If I had a play action, with the pass to the right, I never could keep aware of what was happening on the left, or as my body had it, to my rear. I was not sacked often, but when I was, the majority of them, and the most jarring of them, were from my rear (left).

So our athlete might very well have been blitzing from the offhand side of the quarterback, and the good ole QB did not see it coming.

Entirely credible.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
quote:

I don't know about that. Never played, but I'd imagine a 3 foot legless guy might be easy to miss.

Somebody would have to be responsible for blocking him though. At that point I find it hard to imagine that the QB couldn't avoid him. I will say though that I respect the hell out of this guy. He's a fighter and a tough son of a gun. I wish him nothing but good things from here on out, but I still can't imagine that he managed to sack any quarterback. That is unless a particular QB just liked to hold the ball for an unreasonably long time.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy has one advantage though. He knows his stuff, you do usually not have legless opponents. First play, you probably just have no idea what he's gonna do and what you're gonna do about it. Whoops, a sack. After that, it gets tougher for him, but he'll still keep an edge with surprises. Still, of course he would be handicapped in the very meaning of the word, but I have no reason to believe that he can't sack a QB.

Ulkomaalainen

ETA: Inserted the negation whose missing caused confusion a few posts downwards.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
Originally posted by UE Loyalist:
So our athlete might very well have been blitzing from the offhand side of the quarterback, and the good ole QB did not see it coming.

I would think the QB in question would have some pitiful pocket awareness if the ball isn't out before this cat manages to blindside him though.

ETA: I'm not saying that he could never sack an opponent though. I should say I didn't mean to imply that and it appears I have.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could the QB have been scrambling to avoid a legged sacker and run close enough to the legless sacker to be sacked?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
This guy has one advantage though. He knows his stuff, you do usually not have legless opponents. First play, you probably just have no idea what he's gonna do and what you're gonna do about it. Whoops, a sack. After that, it gets tougher for him, but he'll still keep an edge with surprises. Still, of course he would be handicapped in the very meaning of the word, but I have no reason to believe that he can sack a QB.

Ulkomaalainen

Why could he not?

During a blitz the defensive line and linebackers will rush the offensive line and quarterback. So you have likely 7 guys rushing an offensive line of say 5. Those lineman have to take someone, so do you take a or b. If number 99 has legs, then you try to take the one who is the biggest threat. However, number 99 in this case could automatically be considered the lower threat, and by default, have limited coverage. Thus, he would be free to advance.

quote:
I would think the QB in question would have some pitiful pocket awareness if the ball isn't out before this cat manages to blindside him though.

High school football has quarterbacks like that. I could easily get tunnel vision and get blindsided...that is why I am not in the CFL.
Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
quote:

Somebody would have to be responsible for blocking him though. At that point I find it hard to imagine that the QB couldn't avoid him. I will say though that I respect the hell out of this guy. He's a fighter and a tough son of a gun. I wish him nothing but good things from here on out, but I still can't imagine that he managed to sack any quarterback. That is unless a particular QB just liked to hold the ball for an unreasonably long time.
True, but how would they go about blocking him? I'd imagine they would end up on the ground where he would then have the advantage of being able to maneuver better or at least regain his ground quicker than the blocker.

It would be interesting to see some clips. How do you go about nailing this guy if neccesary and not be a bad guy? No doubt he can take it but I would think it would be pretty odd.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandon
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With respect to the original post, it would seem odd for a legless player to play LB. The man described in the SI piece plays nose tackle which allows him to line up next to the lineman. Leverage is key to playing that position and being low may help offset the disadvantage of having no legs. At LB he would be required to have a lot more mobility. In addition, I could forsee a situation where a QB forced forward in the pocket could run in to him and get sacked as opposed to him being a LB where he would have to get accross the line of scrimmage from his LB position and chase down the QB.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by UE Loyalist:
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
(...) I have no reason to believe that he can sack a QB.

Why could he not?
basically because I made a typo there. It was meant to say "can't", not "can"... now that's a classic.

Ulko "or not" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages