snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Fetus stew?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fetus stew?
jmcc
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not safe for viewing at work, btw. I've pre-emptively declared shenanigans on these being real, but I'd much appreciate an expert opinion.
http://www.svnl.net/dien_dan/viewtopic.php?t=768&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=84ec3c94f83137a7e3c5f28093544b3e

edit: if you don't like the idea of a human fetus being made into stew, you should perhaps keep away.

[ 08. July 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
budgyrl, Interrupted

Well, I'm not an expert, but it looks real to me. I should have read your last sentance before viewing due to the fact that I am pregnant. If this is real, it is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Did you do any sort of search to find out if this really happens?
Bonnie

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is likely a series of photos that appeared in Zhu Yu's artwork, "Eating People." See Barbara's page for more,

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.htm

Bonnie "and baby makes three ... servings" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Skepticism - the lost art of human rationality.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jmcc

quote:
Originally posted by budgyrl, Interrupted:
Well, I'm not an expert, but it looks real to me. I should have read your last sentance before viewing due to the fact that I am pregnant.

In that case save the pics until your kid is a teenager, then whenever they cop an attitude bust them out with "I could have had a nice Szechwan meal, but I decided on you instead. Never forget that!"

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
This is likely a series of photos that appeared in Zhu Yu's artwork, "Eating People." See Barbara's page for more,

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/cannibal/fetus.htm

Bonnie "and baby makes three ... servings" Taylor

Yeah, I saw that page and while not the same pictures I figured this was just an update of the idea, but still wanted official debunktion.
Usiku

Cool - love the pictures - they're extremely well done. I love anything that gets the "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!" brigade up and running needlessly. Any ideas on how they're done? The texture on the fetus' body looks very good - could it be a silicon mock-up?

Looking at the "cooked" version, the body is extremely lifelike with the flesh falling away from the bones - however, the head doesn't look right. I'm wondering if the cooked one is a skinned baby rabbit body attached to a made up head as they don't appear to have the same consistency of skin-texture.

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... these pictures are much different from any of the pictures I've seen of Zhu Yu's artwork. Zhu Yu used a doll's head attached to a duck carcass for his performance piece, however, the fetus shown in several of those images most certainly is NOT part duck. I still don't think this has anything to do with people actually eating fetuses, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those photos are of actual aborted fetuses. I really don't want to give them another close look, but the array of different poses and situations the fetus seems to be in leads me to think that the pictures might have come from different sources. Perhaps someone took some pictures of aborted fetuses and combined them with another performance art-type setup showing the cooked "babies" to make the effect more er... disturbing? Either way, fake or not, the pictures are pretty un-fun to look at.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alexkidd86

these pictures are fakes!! what kind of sick people would kill babies and make baby soup out of them. Only cannibals would and thats what they would be, but they are too smart to eat babies. They know that they would get arrested for making baby soup. They most likely made some type of baby doll that looks like the real thing but it isnt.and Bonni is right, these pictures are of Zu Yhu's artwork "Eating people".
Chinese people do make some weird food. I heard of chinese people cooking rats, cats, dogs,and even bugs, and serving them in a restaurant. But chinese people would never go to the extremes as to cook a human being and make baby soup, only an evil person would eat the baby soup.

Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you forgot to use all caps alexkidd..

[Smile]

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pitch audio

Can anyone offer a translation of the text included with the pictures? Perhaps that will let us know a little more about the source of the photos.
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who said they ate it? I do find it possible (although unlikely) that someone got an aborted fetus and cooked it for shock value. As a matter of fact, much Asian cooking involves cutting the meat into tiny bits, which would mean the the fetus would be unrecognizable, at least if this were a real recipe.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jmcc:
[QUOTE]In that case save the pics until your kid is a teenager, then whenever they cop an attitude bust them out with "I could have had a nice Szechwan meal, but I decided on you instead. Never forget that!"

I don't think you'd want to say that. Not unless you wanted all the therapy bills. [Wink]

Anyway, if those pics are fake (and I hope to heck they are!), they're a pretty good mockup.

- Pseudo "Cooking With Hannibal - now on the TV Food Network!" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maru

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is a real fetus cooked for art purposes. [Frown]

Just looking at the little hands, they look transparent. And the genitalia is acurate.

If this is a mock up, someone did a perfect job.

Katie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks real to me.

--------------------
--
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."

-Igor Stravinsky

Posts: 68 | From: Antarctica | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just curious, anybody knows the language used on that message board? Perhaps there are clues in that thread to help us determine weither they are real, fake or a mix.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Berry Well
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Berry Well     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, I'm getting sick just reading the posts, there is no way in heck I'm going to look at the pics.

--------------------
And if she says come inside I'll come inside for her.
If she says give it all I'll give everything to her.
I am justified. I am purified. I am sanctified. Inside you

Posts: 695 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, where would someone even get a fetus to cook? Methinks some laws might be broken here.

- Pseudo "not gonna find out myself" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So, where would someone even get a fetus to cook?

Manbeef.com?

Yeah, I know...
[fish]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly sure that the language is Vietnamese...

Although the pictures do seem to match each other, there might be a slight difference. The pic of the fetus sprawled out appears to be a boy, but on the close-up one, where we're at table level, looking at the fetus lying on its side, the ano-genital distance looks female.
(But then, I'm more used to determining sex on mice than human fetuses.)

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zapruder, On the Trail of Asparagus

That is a new low in disturbing me, and I hope to God it isn't real. Just a really good job sculpting latex.

I think I might need to log off of snopes.com and find my happy place!

Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alexkidd86:
only an evil person would eat baby soup

That is just plain hilarious. Mind if I use that as my quote?

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn Vietnamese translations cost money.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only stories about fetus soup I can find are talking about much earlier term feti.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an English-language version version of what I think is the same story.

Note that the subsequent post references snopes!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

I don't think they are the same story, the pictures it links to are not the same as the OP.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Rhiandmoi

I think that other forum is like a vietnames ULMB. [Big Grin]

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All the pictures are from here, and most of them can be found on this page. Interestingly, the parent site is Taiji World :: Spreading Harmony All Aroud the World, but as far as I could find it is not linked from there.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with a bunch of different opinions on this. this think it's half fake babies, half actual fetuses in the photos.

When I saw the photos, I thought of the same performance artist, but since he's not responcible, who could be? The next thing that hit me was "extreme people" - you know, like PETA can be - so maybe someone who's pro life did this weird baby cooking (not with real fetuses, I think the real ones were photos inserted later for dramatic effect) to shock people somehow. Kind of like a "This is how much worth you put on your aborted child, ya bastids! This is the only way you'd see an aborted fetus as being usful to your life!"

Sick sick sick. but there are people who will do extreme crap like this to make a point. Otherwise, we wouldn't have sites like rotten.com.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to say that I think this is fake. I would pose as a "control" the question of if there is any known culture that eats human boday parts of any kind...If for example there is some place where something clearly less haunting is eaten. FOr example, is placenta eaten? I would think that before any culture would stoop so low as too eat fetuses, they would probably think nothing of eating ordinary human tissue. Well, I just have never heard anything, outside of individual demented people doing so in any mainstram culture. WHat I am trying to say is I hardly think anyone just "eats fetuses". Maybe some crazy cult, whose members later all killed themselves off, but not at some carryout restaurant. I go with it being fake.
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a restaurant around here somewhere that sells what they claim is human placenta. Of course, how the hell anyone is going to taste it's not from another animal is unclear to me.
Is someone thinks its important I could probably get more info.

Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by budgyrl, Interrupted:
I should have read your last sentance before viewing due to the fact that I am pregnant.

I would have thought the title "Fetus Stew?" may have sufficed as a 'pregnant women may not wanna look at these' kinda warning. [Big Grin]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I highly doubt this was from "eating people" series, however, I think this year there was a festilval Chinese movie on fetus cooking (fake, for sure). I'll try to find its name.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking about this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472458/

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

OK, looks like the English title was "Dumplings: Three Extremes", and googling for it actually provides a number of results/reviews with some stills. Although I haven't found exact match in terms of settings, I'll try to see if I can get hold of the movie.
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

OK, I've just got "Dumplings". No, it's not a part of the film, although it well could be (three fetuses have been consumed over the course of the movie). Don't know if it's real, though.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages